Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So I keep hearing about problems with lack of space and whatnot at ports in California, why aren't ports in Oregon and Washington taking on extra load? I know they're smaller, and not directly where producers want them, but they still have rail connections and a few extra days should be better than waiting at sea. What am I missing here, just a lack of reporting on those ports already at capacity? Other limitations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Great, thanks for the additional info!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Here's a weird one for you - all the flavored cream cheese at the local Fred Meyer (Kroger) was gone with little signs saying that these products wouldn't be available for a while. Rather odd, I would have thought those were locally made like other dairy products. But it's mostly "oh, you don't have literally every flavor of Mt. Dew" or "my FedEx shipping dates are all hosed up".

Absolute shortage on Gunpla though, and releases keep getting pushed back again and again. Not too surprised.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
One of the BBQ/Smoking youtubers I follow actually put out a video discussing alternatives to brisket, because the price has gotten so high. Which is ironic, as brisket is supposed to be a "cheap cut".

He came up with chuck roast, and was happy with the results.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm sure the pandemic made this much worse, but I feel like this has been happening ever since food shows became popular on Food Network and Youtube. Everybody wants to slow cook "cheap" cuts of meat to show off their pot roast or ragu skills so those off cuts are not so cheap anymore.

Oxtail. It's so hot right now. Oxtail.

This is a great point, and Food Network/HGTV are absolute blights on our civilization.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So, is anyone actually seeing a shortage on turkeys? Everywhere I'm looking I'm finding them just fine, including tons of fresh ones. Not trying to claim that this is somehow indicative that there are no more supply chain problems, but a lot of news sources started spreading this specific story and there seems to be little actually supporting it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jaxyon posted:

Who was spreading it?

I heard it from local sources like the local NPR station, blips from the local tv news, etc etc. I went out to grab mine early and saw that Costco had a ton, and so did Safeway. Looking forward to picking up some leftovers this Friday. Costco was charging .99/lb for fresh, non-organic birds.

Hell, Costco had presmoked/cooked turkeys you could buy for a little while. That's rather impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
That’s a great intro video, thanks for posting it!