Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

So I keep hearing about problems with lack of space and whatnot at ports in California, why aren't ports in Oregon and Washington taking on extra load? I know they're smaller, and not directly where producers want them, but they still have rail connections and a few extra days should be better than waiting at sea. What am I missing here, just a lack of reporting on those ports already at capacity? Other limitations?

Some companies have tried this, though with smaller ports nearer to LA. I think the primary obstacle they've reported is that the challenge then becomes it being twice as hard to get trucks out there to haul stuff out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Frostyhawk posted:

By tonnage, the Port of Houston is actually the largest port in the country, and that being said, things are really backed up there too, so yep, pretty much hosed all over!

Isn't the big divide in metrics between Houston and the rest "gulf coast is all liquid oil and the rest is all far less dense consumer goods" or has that changed with the upended patterns we've been seeing lately?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's been darkly funny to watch increasingly unhinged rhetoric around all this because anybody given a platform to opine about it is by definition ideologically incapable of understanding that these people just got new jobs that possibly pay better but definitely do not involve being paid poorly to be the smiling face on the other side of America's oppositional defiance disorder

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Now that I think of it, that name wouldn't sound too out of place in a Metal Gear game

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sorry, just heard back and most of the posts are stuck in a container outside the port of LA, should be an ample supply in time for Christmas I'm told

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Supermarket today - the nice one in the nice area - had like a full half of 5-6 full aisles today with no shelving at all and just cardboard displays filled with chips and what not where they once were. Like the exact ones you'd see propped up by the cashier at a liquor store, but sitting on a supermarket shelf. A bunch of other stuff was changed around too so there's the off chance it's just a dumb weird thing they decided to do independent of dealing with empty shelves, but it was pretty jarring

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PT6A posted:

Did the grocery shop today. The did not have Franks Red Hot, but they had plenty of other hot sauces. I bought Western Family buffalo sauce instead, I shall endeavour to persevere amidst the supply chain catastrophe.

Inshallah my Valentina and El Yucateco supplies have not suffered, though many others have mightily and freakin LENTILS are now like 2.50/lb. Can't imagine what meat prices are like lately since apparently even the boneless skinless loss leading chicken breasts went up 10%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

PT6A posted:

Here, beef is nuts, chicken is pretty stable after a pretty sharp increase over the past two years, pork is still really, really cheap for some reason, and lamb is as expensive as it always was but I don't buy enough to notice changes.

Honestly, I haven't noticed a single change in my grocery bill in the past year, and I don't pay a lot of attention to deal-hunting. I think a lot of cheaper things got more expensive, and a lot of expensive things got even more expensive, but the middle is holding.

Pork slaughterhouses were basically just freed of regulation under Trump and I haven't eaten it since lol, but you may just be in an area where there's a lot of pork around b/c of manufacturing or warehousing so it's cheap. The only thing I've had to cut out entirely were the fake meat chicken nuggets I'd get as a treat that went from 2.50/bag to 4.80/bag within like 6 months. I live in the middle of 9 billion miles of soybean fields!