Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1470438857510465541?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/hilaryagro/status/1470458056291016707?s=20

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Thoguh posted:

I don’t get why they don’t just split the difference and reduce interest to zero. That helps borrowers immensely and undercuts any moral hazard arguments against outright forgiveness.

you gotta stop assuming they actually want to help people

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

can you imagine the fallout if they revealed that they can actually accomplish things?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Like, Democratic voters for whom following the news is a hobby basically just keep up with the latest reason Democrats have supposedly been blocked from action. They're not concerned with how to bring about policy goals. Why would Democratic leadership want to change that?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ex post facho posted:

This is entirely based on a press conference from two days ago and includes no new information. I strongly encourage reevaluating random forbes columnists as sources.

I just wanted a tweet to post about biden's student loan policy I'm not asking anyone to read it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Not even "we're working with Congress to draft legislation" or "Pres Biden encourages Congress to put a bill before him." Total passivity.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ban cars gently caress joe biden

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

For some reason it took Biden the better part of a year to restore Bears Ears and Grand Eacalante to their former size.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

Biden's bill has $550 billion in new spending. Obama's bill had $787 billion in new spending.

Look, fat

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm not actually excited for democrats to get destroyed, but it's going to happen regardless, so

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Buck Wildman posted:

gently caress em

I mean, by all means gently caress em, but also the other guys

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Tbh resuming student loan payments is one of the most direct, personal, and lovely things a politician has ever done to me. Most bad policies have effects at the structural level, but this is literally sending me a monthly bill for 10% of my income.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My student loans would be financially crippling if I were attempting to pay them down, which I'm not. My principal hasn't moved in 7 years of repayment.

Biden campaigned on doing something about them, even though his offer was pitiful. He's backtracked on doing even that.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm actually a voter who's been sympathetic to harm reduction arguments (probably an outlier here), but I think I'm done with that now lol

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I know the democrat party was bad but this is on a level I genuinely cannot begin to comprehend. it’s not even like they’re actively trying to lose because even then you would still have people fighting here and there. this is an almost complete surrender on every conceivable level of government.

Pulling the pin and diving into your own grenade. Except everyone else still blows up too.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Lol

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm sorry, is the left the reason Dems keep losing, or are we irrelevant?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This was obviously the bargain democrats purposefully made, but it's still interesting seeing it play out so clearly in numbers. Biden's promise that "nothing will fundamentally change" really was the greatest distillation of his candidacy, and his loyal support is from the groups that want exactly that.

https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1472939210441170957?s=20

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

vyelkin posted:

really seems to me like 40% of voters are ride or die for the dems no matter what, 40% of voters are ride or die for the republicans no matter what, and the remaining 20% just hate whoever is currently in charge because nobody ever improves material conditions

Sucks that it's only 20%

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Doctor Jeep posted:

not necessarily, there was a poll that showed greater support for student loan forgiveness among those with no college than those with college
i mean there will definitely be a drop in support in that category, it just might not be catastrophic

Yeah "with college" includes a lot of older people, who are generally really stupid and moralistic about student loans

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Manchin got to be the belle of the ball for nearly a year lol. Good job everyone.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Nope, wrong

https://twitter.com/ameseh/status/1472964257188745225?s=20

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I once got charged 3k because a doctor didn't put a billing code in the right spot and I had to spend multiple hours over 3 months on the phone to get it sorted out I love our medical system

Good news: if you like your plan, you can keep it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Imagine having the hope of a Chilean

https://twitter.com/gammison/status/1472821862459654149?s=20

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

He's 74, so with any luck he'll be dead soon.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ELTON JOHN posted:

feinstein is 88 and fundraising for her next senate run lol

I sincerely hate her so much

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

just a big ball of hair clogging the drain

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'll take it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There's never going to be a good time to resume student loans. It's going to gently caress over a lot of people whether COVID's a factor or not because it was already so broken. So do you piss off voters right before an election? Right after? In between and hope people forget? Or maybe just wait for Republicans to win again and let them do it.

This might be one of the best incentives they've ever had for doing something about student loans though. It's threatening their jobs!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Jabronie posted:

I think the big talking point around loan forgiveness, before they negotiated themselves to stop talking about it at all, was several years of "public service" for 10k debt forgiveness

There's already the PSLF and TLF programs. PSLF is by far the most generous that I'm aware of, forgiving your entire federal loan balance after ten years of payments while working a qualifying public service job. It's still an obtuse, mismanaged mess though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Minecraft Holmes posted:

Is that the one that has a like 2% actual forgiveness/success rate

Yeah. I think it's gotten better, but it's still a mess. The problem is that there's only one servicer (FedLoan), and they're dogshit. The other problem is that the program only forgives certain kinds of loans, and figuring out if yours qualify is not easy. There other other problem is that sometimes it's ambiguous as to whether your job qualifies as public service. Ok, actually, there are a lot of other problems too, but you get the idea.

~the democrats~

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

THS2 posted:

im not a democrat or republican.. the solutions arent left or right... this isnt about politics. we need to just fix the problems. thanks share if you agree and are tired of labels and divisiveness

*votes straight ticket R for 30 years*

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

shyduck posted:

Running for office should be illegal, they should just make it like jury duty. One random week you get to be a Senator

This is how renaissance Florence did it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's true, biden's first year has been greater than the New Deal, a famously mediocre and poorly received program.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We remember FDR as an old guy, but he was 50 when he assumed the presidency. Biden is 80.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

FDR broke ground in presidential PR with his fireside chats. Biden has his comms team tweet condescendingly at us.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

People now remember him as an old guy in a wheelchair. I'm not talking about what people in the 30s thought.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

nancy pelosi retire bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

DoubleDonut posted:

just remembered that Biden and the democrats haven't even bothered to get rid of the Space Force, easily among the dumbest things Trump ever did

have the dems rolled back *any* republican policies in the past thirty years

There was a distinct moment, though I can't remember when, that everyone shrugged and decided the space force wasn't actually a bad idea. Probably right after Biden won.