Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

euphronius posted:

The Dragon Reborn is at the library ! I can’t wait to see what happens at the end of the thrilling Wheel of Time trilogy
The Last Battle is won and fought. The remaining 11 books are a boner comedy about a few kooky kids and how they try to sneak past the cranky old Aes Sedai to smoke weed and make out.

Edit sry spoilers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

No

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

euphronius posted:

Fizzling out in mid book 6. Is there anything going to happen at the end of this .
Book 6 is interesting because I can see how on a first read lots of people get stuck there, but looking back on it after and on subsequent reads it's one of the best of the series. And apparently that's a very common opinion.

I guess the criticism you can make is that it's made to be binged, and doesn't work well if you only read here and there. The popular Wheel of Time podcast also had problems with the pacing, since they had to pace the reading to make a podcast.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

OhFunny posted:

I really enjoyed the chapters where Rand vision walks through the history of the Aiel. Such strong worldbulding with just snippets of moments. Every section was a tragedy, but so pivotal historically. It is really neat to see things weaved together. Such as the Aiel and Tinkers sharing a common connection.
I don't think it's an exaggeration at all to say that those chapters are maybe the best fantasy fiction ever written. They're so good, and so crushingly sad.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

81sidewinder posted:

The Foresaken were a missed opportunity. Too many of them, too many names, too little sense of who they were and what they wanted. Demmandred was an absolute badass in AMoL, but I wish we'd have built to that moment more. Lanfear's turn to 'help' Perrin was way too short as well. The false dragons and the foresaken should have been like 5-6 characters, not 15.
Demandred is so cool exactly because you spend so long obsessing about where he could be, and when he shows up he's so much more competent and so much more bad news to the Light that you could have ever imagined. Best Forsaken.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

I definitely felt it was more cohesive with the Jordan-only books, though sometimes Mat still felt off, but less so than Gathering. Lots of pay-offs, maybe more than I thought I’d get before Memory.

I’m really enjoying everything post-Crossroads. That book’s probably the biggest stinker of the series.
I don't think anyone who has read the series would disagree with that.

Gathering Storm is one of my favorite books in the series, maybe in the top 3 with Shadow Rising and Lord of Chaos. The dark Rand stuff and its resolution is just so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Yeah books 7, 8, and 9 all have really good stuff and lots of characterisation that you'll miss if you skip them, the pacing is just a little slow. If you read summaries of those you'll definitely miss the context of a lot of character dynamics and even major world events.

Book 10 builds up one major arc (Mat and Tuon, which is interesting) but otherwise it's definitely dull.