Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Rarity a gamer?
This poll is closed.
Yes 17 17.35%
Obviously 43 43.88%
Noisette 23 23.47%
please visit my new and wildly popular subreddit r/SNUle34 15 15.31%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I really hope SMT V is good. The DLC packs introduced with it makes me slightly worried, I know SMT IV did that too but it feels especially bad this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
In prep to watch the Tim Rogers Cyberpunk video I decided I should probably finish it, but my 75 hour save game from January meant I was somewhere and could not quite recall, so I restarted it and am going to try to finish it.

It is a really, really great game. One of the best parts I have experienced was the Taxi Cab side mission and having one of the personalities being GladOS. You know me. I could not keep a handle on it :)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Played more Mario 64, still just as unpleasant to play as I remember it decades ago. drat shame the N64 never got a single decent platformer

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I didn't think I could want to play CP2077 less, and now I've learned it has references in place of humor

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Barudak posted:

Played more Mario 64, still just as unpleasant to play as I remember it decades ago. drat shame the N64 never got a single decent platformer

Banjo-Kazooie was on the N64 though :confused:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Awkward camera aside if you think the platforming in mario 64 doesn't feel good you're probably just bad at it tbh

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

Awkward camera aside if you think the platforming in mario 64 doesn't feel good you're probably just bad at it tbh

seriously

git a-gud

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Camera is derailing my enjoyment nearly single handedly.

Rarity posted:

Banjo-Kazooie was on the N64 though :confused:

Not passable quality until they were fixed for the 360

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

:synpa:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Thanks, bud

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Metis of the Hallways posted:

Actually November is when the weather starts getting really warm, if you live in the superior hemisphere

now thahts whats up

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Barudak posted:

unhinged

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

“My mom” - Mario Mario, 1996

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barudak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGoNjcodfls&t=31s

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I considered sneaking my Switch to work today so I could play more Metroid Dread, but that would leave my wife without the ability to play Ocarina of Time. Strange days.

Someone posted in the last chat thread (I think) about how to solve sliding block puzzles. Part of my 4yo’s nighttime routine sometimes includes 15 minutes of a computer game, usually like Pajama Sam or Freddy Fish, or other kid-friendly fair like Peggle or Phogs.

Anyway my wife and kid were playing a Freddy Fish game and they come to me saying they need help with a puzzle. A sliding block puzzle. And bam I’m like perfect, a chance to practice that trick. Get the top row and the left row locked in. Of course when you have two people looking over your shoulders while you are trying something new isn’t ideal.

So I struggle at this for a bit before think to ask what the intended outcome of the puzzle is. “We need to get this trident but it hits the sliding blocks, there’s not enough clearance.” Oh, I think, then the puzzle solution has the empty space right above the trident. What if I just move the empty space there and ignore the puzzle?

That was the solution. I should have known that a game designed for kindergartners wouldn’t have a 4x4 sliding block puzzle that was mandatory, but at least I felt prepared to tackle it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Barudak posted:

Camera is derailing my enjoyment nearly single handedly.
are you trying to control it? if so that's your problem. you can't babysit it like a modern camera you just kind of have to let lakitu do his own thing and only very occasionally press the c buttons to direct him. generally lakitu points the camera where it needs to be though

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

VideoGames posted:

In prep to watch the Tim Rogers Cyberpunk video I decided I should probably finish it, but my 75 hour save game from January meant I was somewhere and could not quite recall, so I restarted it and am going to try to finish it.

It is a really, really great game. One of the best parts I have experienced was the Taxi Cab side mission and having one of the personalities being GladOS. You know me. I could not keep a handle on it :)

Tim Rogers made me play cyperbunk also. After playing it most of the weekend, it is mostly good, though driving is absolutely horrendous. Luckily they seem to be aware of that and there are fast travel points pretty much everywhere?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

homeless snail posted:

are you trying to control it? if so that's your problem. you can't babysit it like a modern camera you just kind of have to let lakitu do his own thing and only very occasionally press the c buttons to direct him. generally lakitu points the camera where it needs to be though

no he doesnt and theres also a bizarre blind spot where the camera cannot sit despite there being situations where it would be the only angle to let you see whats happening. pure trash.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

trust lakitu

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

thehoodie posted:

Tim Rogers made me play cyperbunk also

When will this monster end his crimes?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Infinitum posted:

If you love video games so much, name 5.

Lunar.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Did Ocarina of Time always have smearing and blurring, especially at the edges of the screen, or is that an all new experience I'm getting thanks to the switch?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rarity posted:

When will this monster end his crimes?

When these drat people will admit that making a YouTube video while getting paid $18,000 per month is harder than working food service or retail

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Also I’m gonna say VG should play the SNES remake of Dragon Quest 1. It’s nicer to play than the original and there’s a fan translation out there, and it’s a pretty short game overall. It aged a lot better than the first Final Fantasy imo

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Way, way back a long time ago in the October thread (yesterday) somebody mentioned getting fed up with Sekiro so they loaded up Cheat Engine and went ham on the whole game, invincibly one-shotting everything.

Just wanted to say... my man. Hell yeah.

Games are toys, and if you want, you should be able to treat each one like a big sandbox full of cool poo poo to experiment and mess around with as you see fit. Cheat Engine rules.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 1, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

this is an awesome chess variant but iti's already hard to find anyone to play chess w irl and finding them to play weirdo chess seems even less likely

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

No he's a bad guy

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Barudak posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809896

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
OK it has been a while since I have done this but I want to do a FFVII prediction post. All I have to go on is Remake and up to the end of Kalm on Original. Also will be spoilering it for both games, so here goes:

OK. This is going to be a tangle. FFVIIremake blew me away but I had so many questions at the end. FFVII has answered one but none of my big questions. Also there has been quite a bit of divergence. So this is what I know via the Remake:

Mako is the lifeforce of the planet that the Ancients liked. Aerith is an ancient, a cetra. Shinra wants Aerith to take them to a promised land of Mako because only the ancients can do so. Rufus is the head of Shinra because Sephiroth killed President John Shinra. At the end of the remake, after defeating Sephiroth and a massive dimension creature our gang decides to leave midgar to put a stop to this somehow.

Also yellow flowers are EXTREMELY important and are related to the ghosties. Every time ghosties appear the yellow flowers are around. Not sure why yet but they make Cloud's head buzz a lot too.

And even more importantly, they have dimension jumped because they walked away from Midgar as another version of Cloud half dead being carried by a SOLDIER who is Cloud with black hair called Zach wants to get home. (This was an odd scene - no idea what it refers to yet)

In FFVII I have seen no ghosties or yellow flowers or Zach. Most of the other stuff as above has happened but I now know why Tifa is dressed as a cowgirl while she is sad about a dead dude. Turns out it is her dad and Sephiroth killed him and burned down hers and cloud's hometown. Also Sephiroth sliced Tifa and was about to fight Cloud but she did not die and neither did he and neither remember.

SO. Taking all this into account, where is this story going to go?

I think Cloud and his team are going to return to Nibelheim, get to the reactor where Jenova was stored and use Jenova to close the portal to the promised land. The alternate dimension thing at the end of remake I think is an allusion to the promised land exisiting but only Ancients can open the doorway to it - a doorway in reality to a version of Midgar where all the Mako is fine and ready for harvesting. Rufus and his gang are going to kidnap Aerith, force her with jenova to open that doorway and try to rule this other version of Midgar with the fear he threatened to. I will go around the planet meeting people and making a small gang of people to help me take down Shinra and bring the safety of the planet's life force under control and this will lead to a new harmony of life and mako.

I think Sephiroth will eventually turn to the light to help out after his destruction of Nibelheim and murdering of loads of Shinra and he will use his ancients power to fully close the doorway. I know the major spoiler; that Aerith dies. That is probably going to hit me hard (the remake and the deaths of Biggs, Jessie and Wedge utterly ruined me and goodness none of them were as developed as Aerith) and even harder when it happens in Remake 2 or 3 or 4 or whenever they get to it.

Phew. There is a lot there and I am properly wishing I could play more tonight. I also badly want more of the Remake. What a wonderful game. :3:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
sm64 camera is not only "not awful" it's good

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Thinking about this

https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1455186761055981579

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Rarity posted:

Everyone please stop doxxing me I just love video games! :cry:

My gamer detector is going off. Who’s post is this? It’s rarity?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

OK it has been a while since I have done this but I want to do a FFVII prediction post

Yessssss. Yessssssssssss :unsmigghh:

Also:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I wish I liked the Final Fantasy battle systems more but they are all kinda dull unless there’s a job system

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Forza Horizon 5, Animal Crossing update, Hearts of Iron DLC and SMT 5.

Video games are back!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

hatty posted:

I wish I liked the Final Fantasy battle systems more but they are all kinda dull unless there’s a job system

You're right, FFX-2 is the best Final Fantasy :hmmyes:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Forza Horizon 5, Animal Crossing update, Hearts of Iron DLC and SMT 5.

Video games are back!

I hope FH5 gives me the Warthog asap again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Rarity: all the final fantasies from 4 onwards except 13, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Dragon Quest 8 and 11 and probably some of the other ones, Persona 3-5, the Shin Megami Tensei franchise, Paper Mario, the SaGa franchise, Secret of Mana, Xenogears, the Atelier series, Live-a-Live, Sukioden franchise, Breath of Fire 1-4, SKIES OF ARCADIA, Grandia 1+2, Star Ocean franchise except 3, Fire Emblem. The Trails series because there are 12 of them and they're one big story oh and Wild Arms and all its sequels.

Holy poo poo please play the SaGa games, that series owns so much

The SaGa Frontier remaster that came out a few months ago is fantastic. Much, much lighter on story than a Final Fantasy game but an absolute blast to play (and what story is there is pretty fun, especially Asellus's).

Plus you can get a pretty full experience from it in only a dozen hours or so. It has seven (eight with the remaster) main characters who each have their own totally separate stories that each last about 8-10 hours, depending on the character and whether you use NG+. So while there's enough there for like a hundred hours of fun (which is what I did), you can also just play one or two characters' stories and walk away having had a good time. SaGa games rule.

That said maybe play a couple other games from this list first because SaGa games are also very weird, mechanically-speaking, and it might be more fun to engage with them if you have more JRPG context to compare them to.

(also play Chrono Trigger next, I'm pretty confident in my opinion that if someone wants to learn to love JRPGs, you cannot possibly do better than Chrono Trigger as a starting point)