Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Rarity a gamer?
This poll is closed.
Yes 17 17.35%
Obviously 43 43.88%
Noisette 23 23.47%
please visit my new and wildly popular subreddit r/SNUle34 15 15.31%
Total: 98 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

super mario bros

ah, the true progenitor of RTB (Real Time Battle)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Finished up Horizon Zero Dawn over the weekend and I think that game would have been a lot better as anything other than an Ubisoft open world clone. It's not to say I didn't have a good time with it at the end of the day but it could have easily be a tight 12-16 hour experience with a lot of the same plot beats and set pieces and would have been a lot better for it. I think it's too bad that the most interesting stuff in that game is largely left for you to read about in found communications from the before-times and through the game just sitting there and having Sylens do exposition at you. It felt like the writers had so much in their heads that they entirely abandoned "show" in favor of "tell." The central thematic stuff that is central to the world being the way it is really just made me want to get back to running through the Metal Gear Solid games because they have themes that are sort of pointed in the same direction but executed infinitely better than Horizon was. Probably worth checking out if you're a F A N O F T H E G E N R E, or need something to sink an absurd number of hours into, or you can get it real cheap. It was a delightful visual feast in 4k and I really enjoyed tooling around in photo mode, which is one of the best photo modes I've played around with (in stark contrast to Doom Eternal which makes you replay a level before ever even having access to photo mode).

I've been absolutely thrilled playing Metal Gear Solid the last couple days. It's so good and such a masterful game. Kojima is so loving FTW.

I do want to play HZD (esp now that it's on PC) sometime but yeah I'm put off by anything that's an open world game RN unless it's really designed around being an open world game rather than using the open world as an excuse to C+P a bunch of sidequests and other content together and artificially extend the gameplay experience.

You playing the OG PS1 MGS?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Yeah, playing through the HD collection but they just include a code for the PS1 version of MGS. I should probably play Twin Snakes some day though.

Ah yeah I feel like PS1 MGS holds up alright- bit of jank here and there but not too bad. I'm of two minds on Twin Snakes because it smooths out the gameplay but also allows you to use first person aiming in a way the original game never did which kinda screws with the game design a little. Still overall worth checking out though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUQuw2bstg8

kinda sounds like The Toasters or something lol

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I like saying "Shin Megami Tensei 5" in my head so imagine when I actually get my hands on the game

Going to get as far in the main campaign of CP2077 as I can before it arrives

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have always appreciated the SMT series going with a panoply of deeply rooted mythological and religious icons from around the world... and then the American ones are "a giant moth" and "what if a skeleton rode a motorcycle"

The US just hasn't been around that long

would like to see some the Fearsome Creatures of The Lumberwoods I guess

maybe some kinda personification of our terrifying self-perpetuating Military Industrial Complex

also Hell Biker rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5WNJu84FXY

OOOOOHHHHH YEEAHHHHH

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 2, 2021

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ah nice

I like the more kind of "idea/meme" demons; doesn't seem like there's too many of 'em

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 2, 2021

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
it feels good to have absolutely no desire to buy a PS5 and also a functioning gaming PC

how long after availability returns on like graphics cards and PS5s and poo poo are scalpers going to stop bothering

it's like an additional step in the process that has to happen before things are back to "normal"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Death Stranding is a perfect game though. Maybe that's the one that broke me actually, I played it after Ghost of Tsushima.

Trying to think of other open world games where they start with "how can we make exploring/traversing this open world fun and the actual game" rather than sorta hanging the rest of the game over the open world to make it look bigger/increase game time. Not a black and white thing and some games are better about it than others but I really wish open world games would become a less popular choice for game format unless something is really going on with it

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hwurmp posted:

Dying Light
Subnautica

never even thought about Dying Light somehow- looks alright

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I liked Witcher 3 but I played it on easy because it is literally a game that would be improved as a visual novel or walksim. everything I liked about it was the quest and writing design, and the combat was just borderline tolerable

Yeah just making the combat as much of a non-entity as possible is totally acceptable in W3

I kinda wish it was more interesting/deep/...good since there's so much going on with the potions, bombs, and blade oils and it seems like you can kinda ignore most of it. I like the idea of getting yourself all juiced up with the right potion buffs before going off to Fantasy Orkin Man some weird monster that requires foreknowledge of to take down properly

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mrenda posted:

This is why the response to Cyberpunk was so strange to me. People were expecting the second coming in a long-awaited Cyberpunk game, then complained the gameplay as an FPS/ARPG wasn't as in-depth as demanded by "hardcore" gamers looking to exploit every mechanic.

The people who played it as a good looking game, that catered to your average moron with a console/PC (and aged gamers like me who don't want a game that's impossible) then the storyline really worked for it. I didn't get too far, I realised my under-specced GPU was under-specced for reason, but the 30 hours or so I played were enjoyable from a good old yarn perspective.

I mean CDPR did severely misrepresent what the game was

If you were paying attention you knew they were lying but they still lied out their rear end about it lol

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

and yet by the time i was out of the prologue i had enough working or broken punch upgrades to play one-punch-woman for 90 hours. The final boss died in one, maybe two heavy punches like every other mech and person in the game.

this sounds like exactly the direction I'm headed in CP2077

what is cooler a gun or punching someone across the room with your robo ape arms not a hard choice

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

perhaps if it is also a sword

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I like Tim's vids but I acknowledge that he is kind of annoying and his videos are 3.5 hours long

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

i hate minimaps because i can't not look exclusively at one to get around if it's available and i feel like i miss out on a lot by not navigating through the actual game world

I'll usually try and turn 'em off...

but unfortunately I think they've sorta become a design crutch and "how will the player know where to go" is just sorta an afterthought sometimes because hey the minimap is right there

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's a real shame that Dead Space 3 sucked, 1 and 2 are both great in different ways

I love Rustbucket Spaceship Genetic Recombinator Body Horror Survival

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I hope they release all of the Death Stranding Director's Cut stuff on PC eventually and also don't make me buy the game a third time to get it

feels like something that they'll keep exclusive to the PS5 for at least a while depending on what kind of deals have been struck

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Like instead of hungry ghost how about thirsty ghost

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I hope I can play A Sekiro in Elden Ring

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
On some rare occasions I will actually be excited for a game and buy it at launch for full price

Other case is something heavily online multiplayer-reliant that you want to jump into right away with the biggest playerbase possible

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
OK, I think I can finish the rest of Golf Story before my copy of SMTV gets here tomorrow

feelin' like I'm at the endgame and I've loved it- nice sorta-SNES graphical style, golf sim part of the game is pretty conventional but there's no issues with it, and the combination of the typical golf sim gameplay worked into an RPG winds up making it more than a sum of its parts

also personally the game feels juuuust long enough to get all of its ideas out without really dragging rear end anywhere

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 11, 2021

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Issue with the cranks

looks like they had to ship a bunch of them back to overseas manufacturer to swap lovely batteries out

at least they didn't ship 'em out that way I guess

you really oughta have someone onsite as the things are coming off of the line for the first time

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think cranksole looks cute and I will see if I can get one secondhand later on here

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Charles 1998 posted:

Same ol' CJ! Busta! Straight Busta!

Lol

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I want to get back onto Death Stranding but the chance of the Director's Cut coming to PC someday is making me not want to play it. Guess I'll just have to get started on MGS2 instead!

Kinda what I'm waitin' on even though it's not guaranteed- would be my second PC playthrough

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

I feel like I’m gonna recommend too many games at this point so I’ll just go out with Shovel Knight, a retro-style platformer that owns because it specifically tries to be the rose-tinted version of the NES golden age that never existed and not an NES game that kinda sucks in parts in 2021 because of the jank.

Seconding this- game is as-stated fantastic on its own and devs have also been cramming it full of free extra playable characters/content for years.

One of those games that might spoil you a little for other indie tittles trying to do a similar concept; the execution feels near-perfect

EDIT:\/\/\/\/

Oh god yes Celeste is best in class if you're down for some challenge platforming

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 12, 2021

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Into The Breach is a beautiful piece of game design from the folks who made FTL- I've sunk over 100 hours into it

You move units around a grid like an SRPG but the game is really more about positioning yourself and moving your enemies around with your attacks so they fail to attack buildings or other pieces on the map you're trying to protect

drat near endlessly replayable with different starting teams that you have to sorta learn how to use and the typical roguelike loop randomness

Can do a loop decently quickly so seems like it would be good for streaming as well

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
bob megaten

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I wish Astral Chain wasn't stuck on The Switch and I'm probably gonna wish Bayo3 isn't stuck on there but I could be surprised

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
ever since the Wii Nintendo has been playing in a different ecosystem than the Xbox/PS stuff and it seems to have worked out for them despite the near-constant complaining about how underpowered their consoles are

I feel like the Switch is the ultimate form of this "lower power, alternative play options" approach and it's been wildly successful because the alternative play option it presents is eminently useful compared to just motion controls or the crude proto-Switch offscreen play of the Wii U

I still kinda miss having a smaller handheld like the 3DS or Vita around being actively developed for- though there are a lot of titles I have yet to check out for both so I guess I can't complain too much

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

I think the Deck should’ve used ARM and had a x64 compatibility layer like apple does for its new laptops. I feel like that thing will have a two hour battery life

I've seen a few people guess that running at full power that'll be about right yeah

you wanna run some AAA title and top out the GPU you're probably looking at under 3 hours

still excited at the prospect of the thing when I can buy one in the year 203X

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I like the idea of it and I think it's gonna work just fine but I already have a ton of stuff I wanna play on the Switch, 3DS, and Vita/PSP so having another mobile console seems a bit much upon further consideration.

Plus the Steam Deck would be primarily for games I wanna play on a PC at home anyway

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

galenanorth posted:

I don't get why, in Super Mario Sunshine, when there's a level which takes place without FLUDD because Shadow Mario takes it at the beginning, Shadow Mario is nice enough to give FLUDD back at the end. I think it's because they couldn't think of a better story device for losing it, and they knew everybody would just roll with it

I love those levels

can sorta see the gears turning for Galaxy

or maybe they are just disconnected platforms floating in a void

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

absolutely losing my poo poo at this remaster

What? They smoothed out those jaggies with their miracle algorithm!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

I feel like in ten years when a new batch of people discover Cyberpunk, without having straight huffed marketing for a year like a lot of disappointed weirdos did, they'll just have fun with some ancient RPG and wonder why nobody talks about it or when they do it's old angry people with a grudge.

I wonder how the game would have been if they had scaled it waaaaay back and just made Cyberpunk2077: Human Revolution instead while keeping the story/writing intact

similarly it would be neat to see people's impressions of the game as it is on a wider scale if we could like somehow magically completely remove it from the context of all the poo poo surrounding its release

felt like there were people rooting for the game to fail as well as people being kinda delusional about the true nature of the game leading up to it coming out- media is always somewhat tainted by people's expectations of it before it releases but it seems like it was just off the charts with CP2077

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 16, 2021

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

its reasonable to be excited for a game from a studio with such a good track record. no idea why anyone expected anything form the devs who brought us the "most boring combat in video game history" witcher

to top it off it's a completely different like.. genre of combat they hadn't tried their hand at before

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fix these bugs and then put them back in as cheats

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

Devil May Cry 5 (PS5 version)

I wanted a third person actiony game and I try to switch up genres with each new game, so the one after this is something that I KNOW this forum adores and is quite indie and story based. :)

DMC5 is great- on your first run through don't worry too much about rankings and instead make sure you take time to thoroughly play around with all of the moves and weapons the game throws at you

I love the dynamic battle music!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ideally Bloodborne would have allowed you to pick up extra blood vials while you were out exploring to keep a run going but also just top you off to the max carry amount for free at bonfires as well

Making them a persistent stock item never really did anything for me

EDIT: looks like Elden Ring is doing literally this

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 17, 2021