Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

sb hermit posted:

what is that bespoke clang doing to those machine language binaries???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
After much fighting, cursing, and head scratching, I am now able to build and run flutter apps using Buildroot! :woop:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Noice. Have you tried it out to make a fart-app yet? Pretty interested in how well/bad the embedded and web guis work

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 16, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

Noice. Have you tried it out to make a fart-app yet? Pretty interested in how well/bad the embedded and web guis work

I ported the flutter-gallery app, just haven’t submitted the package yet. Performance is pretty good with a x86 KVM. :v: I don’t have a board to test with yet so QEMU it is.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

FlapYoJacks posted:

I ported the flutter-gallery app; I just haven’t submitted the package yet. Performance is pretty good with an x86 KVM. :v: I don’t have a board to test with yet, so QEMU it is.

After 7 versions of the Flutter patch series, I am happy with the results, and everything works properly. Now give Buildroot proper Vulkan support.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Nice. Is this gonna make it into the next Buildroot release?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

Nice. Is this gonna make it into the next Buildroot release?

Nah, they are marked as next. The next BR release comes out in the next few days.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Does anyone want to take a crack at creating a build cache for Buildroot? :v:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

FlapYoJacks posted:

Does anyone want to take a crack at creating a build cache for Buildroot? :v:

Buildroot: don't use Yocto, it's too complicated
also Buildroot: oh, wait actually those features might have a point

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

Buildroot: don't use Yocto, it's too complicated
also Buildroot: oh, wait actually those features might have a point

Eh, that's been on the list of things to do for quite some time. Buildroot and its maintainers don't say "Don't use Yocto, it's too complicated." They say "Don't use Yocto, setup is a giant pain, and the reliance on community layers is a crapshoot." :v:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
The actual implementation might not be too bad though, tbh

It would probably look something like:
1. Require build isolation
2. Hash all of every package's Make variables (determined by prefix)
3. Build-step also has to learn how to depend on any source files that are local.
4. After package build, install to a temporary DESTDIR
5. Tar up the result, name it by hash, and put it in some cache folder
6. Delete the DESTDIR
7. When populating the sysroot for a new package build, always do it from the cache
8. Set dependency relationships appropriately

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
3 might actually be a doozy if there's no mechanism for it today

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

The actual implementation might not be too bad though, tbh

It would probably look something like:
1. Require build isolation
2. Hash all of every package's Make variables (determined by prefix)
3. Install to a temporary DESTDIR
4. Tar up the result, name it by hash, and put it in some cache folder
5. Delete the DESTDIR
7. When populating the sysroot for a new package build, always do it from the cache
8. Set dependency relationships appropriately

Creating the cache is easy. Yann (one of the maintainers) has already done that. Applying the cache is the difficult part.

- To extract a package, you must first extract all its dependencies.

Say you have 3 packages, A, B, and C. A depends on C, and B depends on C. Then, when you uncache A, you first need to uncache C. Then, when you uncache B, you first need to uncache C. But C is already uncached because you uncached A.
And then consider PPD. You need to uncache, but first, you need to pre-populate as the pre-configure rsyncs, which in turn requires that you are properly uncached dependencies.. Another question to consider: What to do when the build was done in /some/path, then cached, and then extracted for a new build on /some/other/path.

So, proper uncaching either requires that we duplicate the logic in the cache script (ugly) or that we integrate uncaching in the package infra (hard.)

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
I'd expect Make's dependency solver to handle that OK though, right? For isolated packages, I'd expect Make logic that looks like:

code:
$(target).configure: $(foreach x,$(DEPS)),$(call populate_target_sysroot,$target,$x))
	...configure steps...

$(target).built: $(target).configure
	...build steps...
If there's something like that, couldn't populate_target_sysroot() have a dependency on a hashed-named tarball, which depends on some kind of build_or_fetch() task?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

I'd expect Make's dependency solver to handle that OK though, right? For isolated packages, I'd expect Make logic that looks like:

code:
$(target).configure: $(foreach x,$(DEPS)),$(call populate_target_sysroot,$target,$x))
	...configure steps...

$(target).built: $(target).configure
	...build steps...
If there's something like that, couldn't populate_target_sysroot() have a dependency on a hashed-named tarball, which depends on some kind of build_or_fetch() task?

I would have to look at the make infrastructure again. It's possible, just difficult. :v:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

FlapYoJacks posted:

or that we integrate uncaching in the package infra (hard.)

that's the right way to do it imo. Probably some additions to pkg-generic.mk - some pattern rules and some additions to inner-generic-package.

After all - what's more fun than digging through an inscrutable web of Make macros? :)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

that's the right way to do it imo. Probably some additions to pkg-generic.mk - some pattern rules and some additions to inner-generic-package.

After all - what's more fun than digging through an inscrutable web of Make macros? :)

If you do it I could get you a plane ticket to FOSDEM. Not joking.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

FlapYoJacks posted:

don't threaten me with a good time :wink:

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 1, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
submitted Vulcan packages. Now you too can have Vulcan support in Buildroot! Surprisingly easy with no real complications.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

FlapYoJacks posted:

how do you think the BR folks would feel about an implementation that used Make's `load` functionality to compile and run a C extension?

A correct cache implementation requires me to hash the metadata of each package defined in the build. It would be pretty slow if I had to shell out to sha256sum all the time, and I don't think I could do it in pure Makelang.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

how do you think the BR folks would feel about an implementation that used Make's `load` functionality to compile and run a C extension?

A correct cache implementation requires me to hash the metadata of each package defined in the build. It would be pretty slow if I had to shell out to sha256sum all the time, and I don't think I could do it in pure Makelang.

Ask them on irc on the OFTC server #buildroot. Warning: They are French :v:

Edit: They of course speak perfect English. The humor, +9 hour time difference, and more direct approach at debate is what the warning covers.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 1, 2023

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

FlapYoJacks posted:

Ask them on irc on the OFTC server #buildroot. Warning: They are French :v:

Edit: They of course speak perfect English. The humor, +9 hour time difference, and more direct approach at debate is what the warning covers.

eh I don't want to get everybody's hopes up yet. Just want to feel out how it'd be received.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

eh I don't want to get everybody's hopes up yet. Just want to feel out how it'd be received.

I would also say that sha256 is a *bit* overkill for file verification. MD5 would be fine. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Dealing with QT4 :shepicide:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

Dealing with QT4 :shepicide:

show some spirit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbTEVbQLC8s

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I love that video every time I see it. :allears:

I figured out the issue with QT4 and parallel package building. QT4 hard codes paths to the compiler tools in all the qmake.conf files it installs.
Then, another package will come around and rsync the qt4 host directory and will try to use a gcc/g++ in the wrong directory, which causes linking issues.
A sed command and a bunch of cursing later, and all is good. Now I can do the QT4 dance! :v:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 14, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Qt4 is nice imo

this post sent from 2007

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Qt4 is nice imo

this post sent from 2007

I’m sure these guys would be on QT5 if they weren’t cheap. :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Qt 6 is the “not cheap” option

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Qt 6 is the “not cheap” option

Ignoring licensing is the cheap option. :v:

Edit:
The time it took to figure this out is well worth the effort. Total build times went from 7 hours to 90 minutes for 7 boards and an emulator.

Things changed:
- Committed the dl/ directory
- Shared ccache between boards with the same processors
- Parallel package building.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot/-/tree/master/package/flutter-engine?ref_type=heads

:getin:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The RPI5 is up for pre-orders. Looks like a 4x increase in GPU performance on average.

Hen
Aug 22, 2006

Hey is there an FPGA programming thread and if not should we make one??

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if you want to talk about MPSoCs and such this would be close enough I suppose?

Hen
Aug 22, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

if you want to talk about MPSoCs and such this would be close enough I suppose?

Sure, I mean... I'm a total n00b and just got a Basys 3 introductory board so

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
I have done an FPGA now and then! The basys3 looks sweet, I've never played with it.

I shipped a few Artix designs, back before I made the jump from hardware engineer to software engineer. Ask away if you want hot takes that haven't been updated in about 6 years

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
fun-fact for the cool kids: Xilinx supports a yocto linux for its Microblaze soft CPUs

shockingly, it's actually not the worst experience if you just want to do some command-and-control type poo poo for your custom FPGA peripherals

Hen
Aug 22, 2006

What's your HOTTEST 6 year old FPGA take??

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
TCL is a good programming language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

TCL is a good programming language

This infers there are good programming languages. shameful.