Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you know how every python installation is supposed to have certain modules available as part of the “core” language?

yocto doesn’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

i guess it depends on what made or didn't make the cut

like the tkinter stuff could probably be cut for example

pip is it’s own separate package

this is as bad as it seems

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ah but if you create a platform then licensing can be someone else’s problem!

I’m an FAE at a company that makes IoT gateways and in certain use cases customers need like 10 lines of code for protocol translation and there’s problems with every way to do that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

do you want to learn yocto? anything with an rpi is going to be how to explore it, there’s already a nice bsp so you just have to put together your puzzle pieces.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you’re not going to get a memory management unit for a nickel :colbert:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I went to look up budgetary pricing for an attiny to try and make a joke and found this

quote:

Out of Stock
Additional quantities can ship by 31-Oct-2022

now I’m just depressed

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the difficulty of updating tls versions in embedded devices and cacerts rotating faster than before is going to wreck a lot of devices over the next few years

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eschaton posted:

I really kind of feel like the embedded world is overlooking the BSDs these days, they can even restrict any source changes they make

on the other end of the freedom scale does anyone have any experience with the proprietary ones like qnx?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Poopernickel posted:

Never used QNX, but I've worked at two companies where somebody evaluated it and said "nah" for price and driver compatibility reasons.

It feels like Linux will displace it once PREEMPT_RT is all done being merged into mainline.

a blackberry recruiter reached out to me with a job that’s actually decent pay for remote and my location but… does qnx have a future outside of automotive?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

well, 3 years is a decent tenure at a tech company :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Poopernickel posted:

Just don't get paid in stonks.

i like the stock 💎 🙌 🙈

or whatever the gently caress the meme is

I actually bought a share along with one of a bunch of the other meme stocks. that did not go well, but loving dillards and build a bear of all things made the entire thing a break even.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yeah embedded Linux is not the best path to figgiesland

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sitaras are all slower than the rpi though so i don't blame them for wanting an apples to apples comparison with what they're used to

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Poopernickel posted:

jeezus that's the worst of every possible world, you'll have a mystery floating process that systemd isn't monitoring. And if it crashes, the kernel won't restart it like it does with PID1.

when your watchdog is :tif:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ping/pong is the same as a/b I assume? I hadn’t heard that described as ping pong before

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

selinux does have strong "black and white part of a made for tv ad" vibes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Poopernickel posted:

"there's got to be a better way!!"

looks at "better way"

huh, guess not

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if you just want to force it to work set those in your local.conf. see here: https://lists.yoctoproject.org/g/yo...453482707577325

to make the change for "real" set it in the layer.conf for your actual layer

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

- /workdir/poky/build/conf/local.conf has DISTRO ?= "poky" in it, and as far as i can tell there's no others in the repo

yes, build/conf/local.conf overrides everything else

quote:

- the target machines are ultimately just core-i7 PCs in a custom box with a CAN interface added, so idk why the gently caress we're using yocto??? but here we are

let’s put it this way: how close are you to finding out what the original author’s consulting rates are?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

yeah I saw that one, thought I'd followed it verbatim, but soon as I went to bitbake the image and sdk it said it was doing go 1.17 again. do i need to do something to "commit" workspace local.conf changes maybe????

being hosed by the sstate cache is a rite of passage

bitbake -c clean <recipe name>

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

emerge world

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

update: the built SDK after yesterday's suggestions had no golang installed at all; and when i went into a fresh container (still with the added PREFERRED_VERSION_go* in the layer.conf), and tried `devtool upgrade go -V 1.19.3` again, it download 1.17.13 instead

wat

this is the case that this is for

Poopernickel posted:

pro-tip: try running 'bitbake -e whatever-package >dump.bb' and then look around in the results. It's the best way I've found to really track down what the gently caress Yocto is doing and why, if you're ever unsure what's going on when you try to build something or other.

https://docs.yoctoproject.org/bitbake/bitbake-user-manual/bitbake-user-manual-metadata.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

gotta love the womp womp

anyway it worked, go 1.19 was built and added, but I misunderstood something about how all this works. after i installed the sdk and sourced /poky/environment-setup-corei7-64-poky-linux, go still wasn't on my PATH; the environment setup added /poky/sysroots/x86_64-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin (and all the other bins) to the path, but the go installation ended up under /poky/sysroots/corei7-64-poky-linux. once I added that to PATH, the build of the software this was all for worked perfectly. I haven't tried the actual image on target hardware yet, but I'm going to take a guess that the way I added go to the image layer means go is going to show up on the target, right? I don't want it to do that, I only want it in the sdk (and if I said otherwise before, I misspoke - apologies)

x86_64 is everything for the host, it sounds like your target is called corei7-64 so you were using the go installation you created for the target. this is fine in this case.

quote:

so instead of adding go to IMAGE_INSTALL:append, I want to do... what? i saw this page telling me to add it to TOOLCHAIN_TARGET_TASK, but it also presumes the image is inheriting populate_sdk somewhere, which it currently isn't, so I'm a little unsure about that one

add nativesdk-go TOOLCHAIN_HOST_TASK to get the compiler on the host. did you intend to add the full toolchain to the target as well?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it sets up what goes in the target’s sysroot in the SDK. the sdk is to develop software for the system, not to recreate it so there’s a lot of stuff you don’t need to include like say bsp startup things

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the host and target usually are different architectures. the host sysroot then contains the crosscompiler tools

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

to link against

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what exactly are you trying to do? do you think you can “just” use a recipe like this and not bother with the SDK?

https://blog.gopheracademy.com/advent-2015/go-in-a-yocto-project/

or do you need this go environment to be installable? the bitbake class that article is referring to is built in. (look in meta/class)

I remember helping a couple customers set up go for the armv5 routers at my last job but all my language specific yocto memories right now are taken up by the butcher job they did on python

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.32

it’s looking for the host libc, not the target’s

I’m not familiar enough with typical go builds but you’re calling make so I’m guessing there was a configure script run that picked up go in the sysroot but not the cross CC

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

can this be thread you bump every time you’re hosed by the sstate-cache? because… yeah

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what general type of hardware?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

the last thing anything embedded needs is javascript

lol if JavaScript is the worst thing you can think of to ship in 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

it litterrally is

use more imagination

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I choose to believe the page did load and shaggar’s mind is unable to process it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

adobe air is litterrally javascript

as well as..

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

Yeah, the generally accepted best practice for UI is QT QML

“gently caress it lets use android” is also a surprise option. especially if you have a GPU supporting android’s vulkan stuff

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

lol i don't think you're gonna get anyone in here to say "its fine to run electron on an embedded device"

FlapYoJacks posted:

We don’t kink shame here.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

everything is “fine”, you just need to sandbox/lock it down enough

…says the sandbox seller

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I assume “bitbake linux-yocto -c menuconfig” is cheating

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

with raspbian on a rpi4 dbus is already used for a ton (including the default handlers for some of those events) so why wouldn’t you use it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PSA: if anyone is looking for the equivalent of one of those German sim games of their day job do not be fooled by this blatantly mislabeled game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s4GEcHKXT4