Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

- Having more than one config means nothing to Buildroot, and both are built independently of each other, so no host-tool sharing.

I see you have not experienced the glory that is make sdk combined with an external tool chain.

Split your toolchain config off into something like sdk_defconfig:

code:
BR2_x86_64=y
BR2_REPRODUCIBLE=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_BUILDROOT_VENDOR="brc"
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_BUILDROOT_GLIBC=y
BR2_BINUTILS_VERSION_2_32_X=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_BUILDROOT_CXX=y
build it with make sdk

then reference the created artifact like this:

code:
BR2_x86_64=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_DOWNLOAD=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_URL="https://blah.com/your-sdk.tgz"
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_CUSTOM_GLIBC=y
BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_CXX=y
BR2_PACKAGE_REDIS=y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Lady Radia posted:

where the heck could i get started messing around in embedded linux? it feels neat as hell

Start with the second half of the first post in the thread -- the bit about buildroot.

Look in configs/ and find a board you own or can buy.

gently caress around with menuconfig.

Find another hobby to kill time while you constantly rebuild your toolchain and/or image.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Get a Raspberry Pi 4, an sdcard reader, and a Uart cable

Then, choose a SDK. There are two major ones:
- Yocto
- Buildroot

Buildroot tends to be much easier (I am biased) and Yocto has more packages, although the non-core packages are of questionable quality and they range from up-to-date to horribly old.

Buildroot has an IRC channel at irc.oftc.net #buildroot
(Note: Most developers for Buildroot are in UTC+2 time.)

Yocto has an IRC channel at irc.libera.chat #yocto

Go crazy!

RPi sits somewhere between obscenely overpriced and unobtainium right now.

Get a ROCKPro64 for something that's affordably obtainable and supports a project worth supporting.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yocto. not even once.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

nudgenudgetilt posted:

yocto. not even once.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i wish buildroot had support for modern nvidia drivers

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yeah, i think it tops out with pascal cards right now

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

Here's a patch that updates the nvidia-driver package. Apply with 'patch -p1 <' like normal.

There is a discussion about updating the NVIDIA drivers to the 500 series here. Seems like they want a split package for legacy support and nobody got around to it.

:yosnice:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

15M Jul 18 16:43 libflutter_engine.so

gently caress you Google I win.

you ported their bullshit to a new platform for free.... seems like google still won

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

buildroot is simply the tits for kernel development

god i love being able to just build an efi binary with my target kernel and tests all bundled up

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yocto, passing around binaries while yelling "look how reproducible i am!" since whenever the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

just split this binary file up into 5 chunks, and bam file is 100% reproducible. you just cat together the 5 chunks!