Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I liked Build, I was sad to see it didn't do too well. Hoping Heist 2 blows it out of the water again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

hatty posted:

TMNT is an indie property now? Weird

It's the dev, not the IP, that determines if something is an indie game. Cadence of Hyrule is an indie game and involves one of Nintendo's flagship IPs while Dave the Diver is not an indie game because despite being a new IP it's made by a Nexon-owned studio and not an independent dev team.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
actually the council of indie elders render their judgment on a case by case basis

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's the dev, not the IP, that determines if something is an indie game.
I think it's a bit more nuanced than that--it depends on the publisher and the funding model (i.e., traditional publisher-fronted development vs. independently funded with the publisher primarily acting as a distributor).

Evil Fluffy posted:

Cadence of Hyrule is an indie game and involves one of Nintendo's flagship IPs
It's also published by Nintendo in the west (and apparently Spike Chunsoft in Japan). I don't know if Nintendo fronted the development costs for it, but I imagine they probably did.

I don't think you'd typically call a game "indie" whose development costs were fronted by a traditional publisher using the traditional publishing model. It's just a small-team game.

Like, Wayforward is certainly an indie developer given their independent ownership of the Shantae franchise and all, but for years they've also acted as a contract developer for licensed properties and we typically don't associate "indie" with any of that stuff.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Hollow Knight is on sale again, finally. Maybe I'll give it the old college try https://www.dekudeals.com/items/hollow-knight

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Also, this: https://www.dekudeals.com/items/slay-the-spire

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

why are we slaying the spire? what did it do wrong?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Too tall

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Meowywitch posted:

Oh it knows what it did.

hatty posted:

Too tall

Too pointy.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Meowywitch posted:

Forcing everyone to speak different languages wasn't good enough to stop people building it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Meowywitch posted:

For one thing, this motherfucker keeps stabbing me or cursing me whenever I spin his wheel.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
That TMNT game looks rather cool.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Cartoon Man posted:

For one thing, this motherfucker keeps stabbing me or cursing me whenever I spin his wheel.

You're doing it wrong. I always win at the wheel but despite putting in a large number of hours into the game on Switch, iOS, and xbox I have never beaten act 3.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bofast posted:

That TMNT game looks rather cool.

It’s apparently a port of an Apple Arcade game that’s been out for a little bit (IDW even made a tie in comic about it)

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Im watching the indie showcase right now and it's making my backlog even worse.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cartoon Man posted:

This is a major major skill issue and occurs when you are bad at the game

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Man I can't wait for heist 2. But one of the best things about the first game was how focused it was in the core gameplay...I hope the real time boat battle stuff doesn't take momentum away from the tactic trickshooting stuff. More like bloat battles

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just saw it. Honestly, not too bad. There's definitely some must buys. Steamworld Heist II? Yes. Stitch looks interesting. I'd be curious to see where Little Kitty, Big City, SCHiM, TMNT and Valley Peaks go.

Little Kitty, Big City looks neat. If it runs well could be well worthwhile. It doesn't quite have the charm of Untitled Goose Game, but could be good.

Yars Rising is a metroidvania? Looks like one. Not crazy about the voice-acting.

Refind Self: The Personality Test Game I know some high schoolers who will love this. I think I'm good though. Some sort of adventure game with a cozy anime aesthetic.

Sticky Business I guess you make stickers. I'm not really sure if there is more to it. Some sort of art game. Sort of.

Antonblast looks like a real dynamic platformer. The aesthetic is incredible.

Valley Peaks 1st person... exploration, platformer, adventurer? Reminds me of Firewatch and Nuts somehow and the platforming a bit like Mirror's Edge which I loved. Maybe? I'm intrigued.

Lorelei and the Laser EyesBlack and white mystery adventure game. Idk. My wife may like it, but she'd likely have no patience for it.

Europa 3D adventure platformer? You seem able to fly. I feels a bit BotW-ish, but that doesn't mean it looks good. Has a demo.

TMNT Splintered Fate Roguelite? I love me a TMNT game. And it's definitely a Hades clone but... with only 4 weapons? Co-op play seems neat though. A demo would be nice. The music is lacking...

Cat Quest III Pirate themed! It's... I don't know how to describe it. Some sort of action game but the map and like is really special. Will have a demo.

Stich a puzzle game about embroidery. Ok. The actual puzzles seem pretty tight. It's like a puzzle game where the numbers dictate what you fill in. I wouldn't call it a Picross-killer but it's definitely would help scratch that itch (that doesn't need scratching cause there's a ton of Picross games). Out now.

BzzztAction platformer

SCHiM I have no idea you drop from shadows? Looks cool.

Animal Well I remember hearing about this but I can't remember why. Reminds me of Rain World, which I never finished since it was so incredibly obtuse.

Duck Detective: The Secret Salami an adventure game.

Another Crab's Treasure last nindie described it like a soulslike

SteamWorld Heist II must buy! The first is insanely good (I just restarted it on my 3DS). Like Worms and just a ton of fun. The ship sequence seems neat. If you get bonuses from other steamworld games I may buy them, because I love Heist.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Splintered Fate has actually been available since last year as a mobile title, not sure if they’re adding anything to the console release however

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I played Animal Well at pax West last year, it was pretty cool. The developer was there and really nice, he talked to my 10 year old kid about videogame development for a few minutes

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Tiny tile graphics reminds me of Micro Mages on NES https://youtu.be/VFX401vvKTQ?feature=shared
‘CRT filter’ must look very nice on oled display

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 17, 2024

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
For what it’s worth, Stitch is on Apple Arcade, has been for quite a while. It’s good and has nice presentation, it’s a type of puzzle called shikaku.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The Switch is a dead console :sad:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So wait, are all of these indie releases just ports of existing mobile titles?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The Switch is deadly good.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Got home from worked, watched the Direct, immediately wishlisted the first game they showcased. I loved Stray, and Little Kitty, Big City looks like Stray, but with a cartoony aesthetic. I'm sure I'll love it!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Cat Game looks great, wanna break into someone’s home and gently caress up their carpet

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Tempura Wizard posted:

Stitch... it’s a type of puzzle called shikaku.

Isn't that the guy who used to be on Art Bell all the time?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just hope little Kitty doesn't have anything like the beginning of Stray. As an owner of two cats, that poo poo was hard to play through.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
https://twitter.com/mhbali/status/1780615722994995668

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

what is the gist of the Silksong hype?
It's a sequel, right?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah! Just Hollowknight is one of the best metroidvania's ever, and Silksong looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Non Compos Mentis
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
im playing silksong right now

no you may not see it