Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

trevorreznik posted:

How the hell was anyone expected to figure out world 6-5 in Mario 3? My kid asked me to beat it and I had to use a wiki

Just had to fly with the racoon suit holding a shell, as one normally does

Figured it out as a kid by flying up, saw what was up their, tried flying up with a shell and found out it worked? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Sonel posted:

Figured it out as a kid by flying up, saw what was up their, tried flying up with a shell and found out it worked? :shrug:

I didn't know you could fly holding a shell!

But yeah modern gaming conveniences have changed a lot. I was interested in running around looking for a hidden pswitch and my kid kept yelling at me to just rewind or look it up

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
yall forgetting that Nintendo Power would have stage breakdowns with stitched together pictures taken from a crt, good times. I knew the first 3 dungeons of Links Awakening like the back of my hand before ever playing the game cause I had the Nintendo Power issue months before I ever had the game cart in my og gameboy

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Upsidads posted:

man Aspyr can kiss my rear end
https://nintendoeverything.com/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-ii-restored-content-dlc-cancelled-on-switch/
they been cutting staff left and right and wanted to keep the fact they had no one working on this under wraps till now

In hindsight they should have known that Obsidian cut the section of the game where you visit a planet whose inhabitants speak entirely in racial slurs for a reason

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

trevorreznik posted:

How the hell was anyone expected to figure out world 6-5 in Mario 3? My kid asked me to beat it and I had to use a wiki

I figured it out after a few minutes when I was pre-school age. hth

The fort made almost entirely of blocks with the coins and the secret P-switch door thing was probably way harder to figure out than that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SeANMcBAY posted:

That is such bullshit. They should give refunds.

Saying "hey we're selling X and Y will be coming" and then saying "actually Y isn't coming but you can have one of these other things (that you might already own)" usually goes over very poorly and in countries that have actual consumer protections seems like the kind of thing that gets you sued.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

For me it was the world 8 fortress. Yeah, you could just try every door, but I usually died after spending that long in there. I had the old strategy guide, but once that ended up too deep in a drawer to find, I’d just save one cloud to skip that level entirely. Which is the real solution to any bullshit level in Mario 3.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

trevorreznik posted:

yeah it's kinda hosed up the game expects the slightest bit of out-of-the-box thinking

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

symbolic posted:

yeah it's kinda hosed up the game expects the slightest bit of out-of-the-box thinking

Exactly, thank you

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
They took "OWIGAMIII" from We Love Katamari

:negative:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Akratic Method posted:

For me it was the world 8 fortress. Yeah, you could just try every door, but I usually died after spending that long in there. I had the old strategy guide, but once that ended up too deep in a drawer to find, I’d just save one cloud to skip that level entirely. Which is the real solution to any bullshit level in Mario 3.

Have you tried gitting gud or CLEANING YOUR ROOM to find the guide? :colbert:

Now take the dog out to poop.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

trevorreznik posted:

at least you know its definitely your kid because youre both stupid as gently caress

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stux posted:

at least you know its definitely your kid because youre both stupid as gently caress

:yeah:

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Stux posted:

What the!!!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Did any games use the built-in memory of Amiibo besides the Smash games?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Mega64 posted:

Did any games use the built-in memory of Amiibo besides the Smash games?

Splatoon let you save loadouts on them, and Splat 3 would recognize if you had used it in Splat 2 and give you all the clothes immediately.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Haha ok TotK let me do some maybe sequence breaking I don't know. I like that Iinadvertently went back into the lightning hurricane where I can't see poo poo and found the quest for the spirit temple (having gotten enough hearts up to this point). I usually ignore main quests but there was a laser and that felt sort of pressing so now I have a weird mech that I can use which is cool. I love that they put ARMS into this game. Of course they did. Now to find a way out of the underground and back to exploring the southern part of the map.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Really loving Katamari 2

This game is great.

Compliments and improves upon the first game really nicely while ensuring OG retains its own sauce.
Being able to play as all the cousins you unlock is such a great feature.

Overall, a real Pikmin and Pikmin 2 situation.

Having said that, they need to fix the nerfed cousins ASAP

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

It's here! :toot:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Man I gotta finish Zelda, I wanna Katamari too

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Haha ok TotK let me do some maybe sequence breaking I don't know. I like that Iinadvertently went back into the lightning hurricane where I can't see poo poo and found the quest for the spirit temple (having gotten enough hearts up to this point). I usually ignore main quests but there was a laser and that felt sort of pressing so now I have a weird mech that I can use which is cool. I love that they put ARMS into this game. Of course they did. Now to find a way out of the underground and back to exploring the southern part of the map.

Just fast travel

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

hatty posted:

Man I gotta finish Zelda, I wanna Katamari too
You can save your game and come back to it. It's been a feature of the series since the first NES release.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The L button on my switch just stopped working which is a good time when I'm out of state for a few weeks and want to play Zelda on planes. Bleh.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Not an ideal solution but for the short term you could use the system button remapping settings to move L to something else. Ideally D-Pad Down if the Switch allows that?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just got Ori and the Blind Forest for 5 euro. Feel a bit silly since I won't play it for a very long time... I never got around to beating Omori AND I can't bring myself to start the new Splatoon 3 season, even if I sort of want, cause all I want to do is play TotK.

So looks like I'm getting a back-log again.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

all I want to do is play TotK.

So looks like I'm getting a back-log again.

Smh if you didn't stop all game purchases until it's beaten

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Why start buying new games anymore? No other game is needed from here on out.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

This but sincerely

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Is this how it felt to play BotW for the first time? Because this is awesome

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

mdemone posted:

Is this how it felt to play BotW for the first time? Because this is awesome

yes except it’s even better

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

This but sincerely

I wasn’t joking either. I would’ve made an exception for Silksong but that’s never coming out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Augus posted:

This is true, I don't find myself hating it like I did BotW

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

I was a solid evening away from beating Skyward Sword about a week before TotK came out. Guess I'll get back around to it this fall sometime

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Augus posted:

It’s objectively better and somehow still has an amazing sense of exploration despite reusing the map from BotW

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Slowpoke! posted:

It’s objectively better and somehow still has an amazing sense of exploration despite reusing the map from BotW

Someday I'm gonna get to play BotW for the first time and it'll be a cool sequel

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
now that i've jumped off the highest thing I can find in hyrule and plummeted to earth with no fall damage I feel like i'm ok to sort of just actually follow the plot a bit and wrap it up. Probably won't go for all the shrines like I did in BOTW but who knows.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

You're not wrong. I just saw it was 5 euro after I got the email and normally I don't mind paying full price since I do one game at a time, but it seemed like too good a deal. Again, I won't be touching it for ages.

I'm impressed people are saying they're done with TotK or putting it down. I still have SO much to explore and don't see myself putting it down till at least the new year, unless I get some serious time in this summer, which is likely.

I will absolutely get all the shrines and all the lighthouses. What I'd like to do is beat all the titled monsters, but I'm not sure, I feel like someone said those eventually get marked down somewhere so if so, then sure, if not I'll see.

Fought a white-haired lynel and got hosed up. I need better armor, my best weapon only took it down to half-life, and I didn't have time to unfuse and fuse new things on the battle-field. I need to kill one, one of these days. I could also just find an easier one...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

fr fr

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I legitimately cannot fathom how people had ToTK completed in three weeks let alone three days, unless they were absolutely main-lining the story only, were duping items and had guides already written during the embargo. I played for 7 hours yesterday and spent two of it building a house, and then another trying to create a vehicle that I could fight a lynel on, with a korok on top of a pole as my battle commander. Then I discovered they can just delete your devices :(

Although I decided I would finally go for my second temple and I beat the whole thing in like an hour, so I'm guessing the story only path is pretty tiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I am taking my sweet time with it