Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Aside from Wind Waker and I guess Twilight Princess, my top ports... would be Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn in a two-for-one deal, I can't evaluate them properly it's been so long since I've played them, but I loved them when they came out and thought they were really among the best FE made up until that point, if not the best. And I guess F-Zero GX which I would buy and continue to be godawful at.

Other than Kirby Air Ride, Skies of Arcadia Legends is my "NEED IT" port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
My "GIVE IT TO ME NINTENDO" is Super Mario RPG but I know Square are assholes and it's probably never going to happen.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don’t want a port of an old game. I can play old games very easily for free. I would like some new games, like Kirby Fall Guys and Splatoon 3.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Advanced Wars soon

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Waffle! posted:

Waluigi started the fire and loving died

Watch Waluigi start a loving fire.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Large Testicles posted:

My "GIVE IT TO ME NINTENDO" is Super Mario RPG but I know Square are assholes and it's probably never going to happen.

FF7 remake is for suckers. SMRPG remake is the prize

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The ending of Kirby's Dream Buffet was lost in the fire.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Waffle! posted:

Sometimes sacrifices have to be made or the greater good. (The good being Waluigi being gone forever. :pray: )

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Scuba Trooper posted:

FF7 remake is for suckers. SMRPG remake is the prize

Where does the story divert in SMRPGR?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
dope indie shmup just hit the Switch store today. it's early enough to get in the top 10 on some of the leaderboards if you dig that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djXx8O3QMlo

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Spacebump posted:

geno is now sephiroth and the plot reflects that

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

It was one of those Pikmin targeting fires.

They just released a police illustration of who they believe to be the suspect

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
That is some unsettling detail work

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Since I decided I'm going to get Dread, I'm finally doing that replay of Fusion I promised myself a couple of years ago. I just got the hi-jump (2nd or 3rd boss), and it's great gameplay, as to be expected. It's like a revamped version of Metroid 2 actually, since the biomes you're sent are rather self-contained so far and while there's room for exploration, it's not as free-form as 3. That's not so bad. The weird/bad is the plotting so far. Maybe it's because I ended experiencing Other M, but the writing is not much better from that one. What saves is it is the GBA's lack of tech which means they couldn't do awful cutscenes and with terrible voice acting and the writing is minimal. But it still has a lot.

I know that at the time it was super cool to have plot heavy Metroid, after the barebones plot we had before, but seeing where that ended going, I don't like seeing what Fusion led to.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Spacebump posted:

Punchinello and Booster replace Bowser and Toadstool in the party.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Waffle! posted:

WAH lu igi started the FIRE, it's always been burning since the nintendo world has been turning

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The story in Fusion is fine. The dialogue is pretty stilted, or at least in English it is, but the gameplay pulls a lot of weight to complement the narrative. I don’t think it’s fair to chart a direct cause-effect relation between Fusion and Other M when there was a decade gap between the two games

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its very fair

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I love fusion but theres a mod that takes all the story out and while i think the story of fusion is fine...i do kinda like that mod a lot

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Augus posted:

The story in Fusion is fine. The dialogue is pretty stilted, or at least in English it is, but the gameplay pulls a lot of weight to complement the narrative. I don’t think it’s fair to chart a direct cause-effect relation between Fusion and Other M when there was a decade gap between the two games

I'm very early on still, but it brings up phrases that were later used in Other M, since it's essentially a prequel to Fusion. I think Fusion just shows that their localization or writing was never great, but then ramped to 11 it became blatant in Other M. I think Fusion is definitely the jumping off point for Other M though.

Still, can't fault that tight Metroid gameplay.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The most frustrating part of Fusion is the energy tank at the top of PYR that you shinespark past, miss, and can't return for until the end of the game but beyond that the scripted sequences and how the world changes around you, blocking former paths very much make up for the arbitrary gating that happens early in the game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Other M is heavily influenced by the narrative hooks set up by Fusion, but you shouldn't let the terrible narrative of Other M detract from the mediocre-but-inoffensive narrative of Fusion.

Just ignore the ADAM stuff and focus more on stuff like evading the SA-X and the usual narrative-through-gameplay style that Metroid usually excels at. Luckily Dread builds more from the better parts of Fusion's narrative tissue while being pretty much a middle finger to how Samus was portrayed in Other M.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Since I decided I'm going to get Dread, I'm finally doing that replay of Fusion I promised myself a couple of years ago. I just got the hi-jump (2nd or 3rd boss), and it's great gameplay, as to be expected. It's like a revamped version of Metroid 2 actually, since the biomes you're sent are rather self-contained so far and while there's room for exploration, it's not as free-form as 3. That's not so bad. The weird/bad is the plotting so far. Maybe it's because I ended experiencing Other M, but the writing is not much better from that one. What saves is it is the GBA's lack of tech which means they couldn't do awful cutscenes and with terrible voice acting and the writing is minimal. But it still has a lot.

I know that at the time it was super cool to have plot heavy Metroid, after the barebones plot we had before, but seeing where that ended going, I don't like seeing what Fusion led to.

you're finally getting to Dread lol. hell yeah

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Read After Burning posted:

Watch Waluigi start a loving fire.

Goofy saying, "I'll loving do it again," but it's Waluigi

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dream Buffet is really good!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

American McGay posted:

I don’t want a port of an old game. I can play old games very easily for free. I would like some new games, like Kirby Fall Guys and Splatoon 3.

Why not both?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

sigher posted:

Why not both?
Because I don't want the other thing. R > C > P numbnuts.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

hatty posted:

Advanced Wars soon

:pray: I hope so.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Yeah I'm a sucker for ports but I really wish they were just remastered by default. Some games like the smt3 nocturne "enhanced" port feel like a genuine rip off.

I guess they let you choose demon skills, so that's a nice quality of life upgrade but certainly not worth full price

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
my original (back when they were ~special Daemon X Machina controllers~) Hori Split Pad Pro started having issues with both sticks and i dunno if this can be considered drift but it's malfunctioning bad enough that i had to get a new one

to be fair i have had them since they first came out and i play a lot of switch but it's still a bummer. wonder how common of a problem it is, it started with the right stick just randomly and periodically inputting 100% down on the stick (not wandering around or anything like joycon drift, just slamming 100% negative direction) and a day or two later the left stick started doing it as well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Stux posted:

we need project gotham racing back

I know it's not but I always picture a Batman racing game and how that would honestly be the tits, just racing all the different Batmobiles

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I know it's not but I always picture a Batman racing game and how that would honestly be the tits, just racing all the different Batmobiles

I was disappointed when my dad brought home Project Gotham Racing and there wasn't a batmobile in site nowhere near as disappointed as when he brought Marvel Land and there were no spidermans or wolverines

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was disappointed that Majima wasn't in Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I'm disappointed in every game that doesn't contain Majima tbh

XC3 features many eyepatches but not the one I crave

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sakurai should randomly patch in Majima in Smash Bros as a playable fighter. It would be the most Majima thing.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

quick, spin this into news about a Switch Pro

https://www.nextnewssource.com/nintendo-announces-switch-box-size-will-be-reduced-by-20/

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the switch pro has no games

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Your Computer posted:

my original (back when they were ~special Daemon X Machina controllers~) Hori Split Pad Pro started having issues with both sticks and i dunno if this can be considered drift but it's malfunctioning bad enough that i had to get a new one
Sticks wear out?

I probably don't use mine nearly as much as you but I bought the Pac-Man ones as a backup to my DXM originals too. The Mega Man ones also look really nice.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Nintendo is shrinking the box size of the Switch by 20% because they need 20% extra box space to hold the Switch Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1560259088927244289?s=21&t=IRrwTDqGljksrHObCUtBkQ