Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

hatty posted:

Dang ol’ Ron Paul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So, what are the Genesis games they're adding this month?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Uhh Genesis is a SEGA console. This is the Nintendo Switch thread.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Paper Mario is one of the best games of that console generation. I think I still rate it higher that the mythical TTYD even. While the 2nd game was definitely better mechanically with battle and navigation and stuff I just find the I enjoy the world and story beats of the original more. Crystal Palace and Bowser's Castle make for an incredible end game stretch that TTYD just doesn't quite match.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Paper Mario is a pretty good game and probably a good pick to offer since it's one of the titles that seems to be a pain in the rear end to faithfully emulate.

That said, I'll just play it on a Wii via an emulator.

You mean via the Virtual Console which you paid for and downloaded during the limited window when it was available and have not uninstalled since, I assume. Anything else is a crime.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

flavor.flv posted:

You mean via the Virtual Console which you paid for and downloaded during the limited window when it was available and have not uninstalled since, I assume. Anything else is a crime.

Yep that's what I mean exactly.

Man I love the Wii.

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica
you'd think they could've at least thrown Sega a few bucks to put Sonic 1 or Altered Beast or something up at the same time lol

Paper Mario owns though and everyone that hasn't played it before is in for a treat

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The first time I played paper Mario was when I figured out RPGs could be more than just menu selecting.

Then my friend showed me Tales of Phantasia and it blew my drat brain.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Adding altered beast at the same time as Paper Mario wouldn’t be doing the Mega Drive any favours.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i never really played paper mario and maybe now i will. thanks nintendo

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Detective No. 27 posted:

True, the emulation approach did change with the Wii U. The quality of the emulation dropped across the board for everything on that system. Something must have changed at Nintendo, that was a cursed time and console.

Wii U was a great Nintendo. It could play Wii, Wii U, NES, SNES, GBA, GB, and (modded) Gamecube games. I also got a bunch of free games from random promotions because the system sold poorly, so that was nice. RIP Club Nintendo and whatever the program was that gave discounts if you got the model with the bigger hd.

edit:

I think you might be able to play all Nintendo console/portable games if you have access to a Switch, 3DS, modded Wii U, and Virtual Boy.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 3, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If anyone was feeling disappointed by NOA offering 3 button Genesis/Mega Drive controllers instead of the 6 ones, don’t be. I have both since I’m bad with money and I actually prefer the 3 button one. The 6 button is tiny in comparison and the cramped little buttons don’t feel as good as the big clicky ones on the 3.

Luckily the store I bought it from on eBay accepts refunds.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Dark Souls again: just got cursed for no reason (I was hit once by a frog and died even though I had loads of health) in the Depths.

So now I have half life until I get a stone or someone heals me? What a wonderful and confusing mechanic that ensures I have to spend half hour getting out of the dungeon to seek a cure.

:darksouls:

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Adding altered beast at the same time as Paper Mario wouldn’t be doing the Mega Drive any favours.

Look, they can't put multiple high quality games up at once, there has to be compromises somewhere

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Altered beast is one of the top 5 games of my childhood alongside Michael Jackson's moonwalker and Dr robotniks mean bean machine. Anyway I have to go to one of my three therapists, later

JoJosSiwaAdventure
Nov 3, 2021

by Pragmatica
I was going to say that at least the music slaps but then I realised I was thinking of the Golden Axe theme and that "wise from your grave" is the only sound I actually remember from Altered Beast

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I unironically loved altered beast as a lad and haven't played it since but I can still remember how bad the loving sound for that game was. It was very ambitious for the time and failed miserably.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If Altered Beast had to stumble for Golden Axe and Streets of Rage to shine, then so be it.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Great. Though I have to ask, what'd you get in the end?

This thread moves fast!

We got Blazing Chrome, Contra Collection, and Huntdown (the only one we’ve started, but it’s extremely his jam).

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I bought myself a switch, my first console since ps3 and my first nintendo console ever, and I'm having a great time catching all the pokemon.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

junan_paalla posted:

I bought myself a switch, my first console since ps3 and my first nintendo console ever, and I'm having a great time catching all the pokemon.

I'm about to join you, last console was an Xbox 360 though lol. The steam deck is making me waiver though, but it seems like the switch holds it's value so I might just get it and sell it if it looks like it owns

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Got back in to playing MonHun Rise. The hunting horn really is the best drat weapon for group play and is much easier to use than expected.

Now if only the game didn't absolutely chew through battery...

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm all for a quality over quantity approach. But it would be a lot better if they let you purchase the games individually rather than the weird rental service approach. Gamepass or PS+ this ain't.

You're probably right but I like seeing all these old games. The N64 games are certainly meatier and I could see myself replaying a few, if ever I get it, but those are still the ones I would pay to buy individually. Something like Winback, good or not, is something I'd probably pop in for a laugh for a half hour or so, like many of the NES/SNES games that aren't the big IP's. It's nice to be able to try them is what I'm trying to say.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Oxxidation posted:

paper mario is also bizarrely difficult to emulate through other means so curious to see how this version turns out

Even though the Wii VC was one of the better official N64 emulators, it still had some issues like not rendering certain text properly. So yeah, wondering how this version turns out as well. Seems to not play nicely with emulators in general without a bunch of outside fixes.

Takoluka posted:

how is one game at a time a problem

are people going to play paper mario in 10 minutes and then bitch they don't have more free games? the average completion time is 23 hours. enjoy your games!!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

They're not free games, the service costs an extra $30 a year. Adding only one game after nearly two months of radio silence is a bad value. The original NSO Expansion trailer made it seem like they'd be dropping at least a few games in the next wave. The NES and SNES drops at least gave a few in their initial waves.

While the N64 library is pretty barren, yeah a massive drip feed just really heavily punishes early adopters since it's a subscription service.

Remains to be seen if they keep up the 1 month pace but yeah given that $50 for this is already a pretty shoddy deal for a good buncha folks, them being kinda peeved is understandable I would say. This isn't a free service.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Araxxor posted:

While the N64 library is pretty barren, yeah a massive drip feed just really heavily punishes early adopters since it's a subscription service.

Remains to be seen if they keep up the 1 month pace but yeah given that $50 for this is already a pretty shoddy deal for a good buncha folks, them being kinda peeved is understandable I would say. This isn't a free service.

I can't remember off the top of my head; Was the second batch of titles teased as a "by the end of the year" deal, or just a general "coming soon" thing?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine Netflix releasing a single new movie per year lol. A drip feed is fine for bonus content, but if they are charging and extra fee on top I should be able to play every Nintendo game ever produced

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Google Butt posted:

I'm about to join you, last console was an Xbox 360 though lol. The steam deck is making me waiver though, but it seems like the switch holds it's value so I might just get it and sell it if it looks like it owns

They're two entirely different consoles that serve different purposes

The steam deck made me waver about buying a new switch OLED as un upgrade to my existing switch but thats because I have an existing switch already. Get a switch and play some of the most joyful games of the last few years.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Commander Keene posted:

If Altered Beast had to walk slowly to the right for Golden Axe and Streets of Rage to shine, then so be it.

Ftfy

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
Big Brain Academy is fun but I am literally an idiot

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's funny in the trailer they put out for Paper Mario they show zero dialogue. It's all action, even the bits from combat are cut just to show Mario jumping on things. They really are ashamed that these used to be RPGs.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
When the hell can I play the dang downloaded Dang ol’ Ron Paul?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Rutibex posted:

Imagine Netflix releasing a single new movie per year lol. A drip feed is fine for bonus content, but if they are charging and extra fee on top I should be able to play every Nintendo game ever produced

It's this.

I should at the very least be able to play the massive library that ive already bought on their last two console generations and handheld

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Nintendo 3DS still the best console

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Going to equip all 5 SFX badges at once and put the emulation to the ultimate test

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

dr.acula posted:

Nintendo 3DS still the best console

Mines hacked and its the premier retro gaming device imo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I was never a big star fox guy, but I kind of liked the one on the SNES when I'd get to play it. I've never even really touched the 64 version, but I'm hearing that... it's awesome?

Now that I've beaten OoT, I think that this might be the next game I delve deep into. Can't wait!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

junan_paalla posted:

welcome

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dr.acula posted:

It's this.

I should at the very least be able to play the massive library that ive already bought on their last two console generations and handheld

Doesn't work that way; What was made for the Wii and WiiU were coded and optimized specifically for their architecture.

Nevermind the 3DS and all that involves. There's literally no way to get the Virtual Console games from those to the Switch other than rebuilding them from scratch in a new emulator like they have.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was never a big star fox guy, but I kind of liked the one on the SNES when I'd get to play it. I've never even really touched the 64 version, but I'm hearing that... it's awesome?

Now that I've beaten OoT, I think that this might be the next game I delve deep into. Can't wait!

Starfox 64 is an utter classic, and I look forward to seeing you come back talking about your first time with it :allears:.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's funny in the trailer they put out for Paper Mario they show zero dialogue. It's all action, even the bits from combat are cut just to show Mario jumping on things. They really are ashamed that these used to be RPGs.

JRPGs are a genre where input delay isn't usually too big of an issue since the battles are turn hased. So it's also funny that the one big JRPG N64 has relies on quick timing button and is very prone to input delay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Doesn't work that way; What was made for the Wii and WiiU were coded and optimized specifically for their architecture.

Nevermind the 3DS and all that involves. There's literally no way to get the Virtual Console games from those to the Switch other than rebuilding them from scratch in a new emulator like they have.

Wow nintendo sucks at emulators then because hackers managed to port over tons of emulators to the Switch quite easily. You don't need to port every single game, once you get the emulator running they all work. Especially simple systems like the NES:

https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Applications