Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tampa Bae posted:

I'd like to get an RPG on the Switch but I've not really played any before. I have Digimon: Cyber Sleuth and it was a lot of fun until I put it down for a month and the game becomes nearly impossible to pick back up because it's hard to figure out which part of the story you've made it to without going back and retracting every single step in an FAQ until you find the one NPC in a random hub to progress the story again

I've got passing interest in FFX and Xenoblade Chronicles but any suggestions are fine. I tried googling but every website is just a bunch of listicles in no particular order

I don't know if you're still looking but...

DQXI isn't a bad choice. I've only played DQ 8 but it's a cozy as poo poo series that doesn't break the bank in innovating anything wild and crazy. It's definitely a good starter for the genre.

I personally had a blast experiencing Final Fantasies 7 through 9 a couple of years back (was it last year? I can't remember). I've currently started 10. These are all great, except 8 which is super weird but worth checking out probably. Their mechanics are simple but more involved than what DQ offers in my opinion, unless 11 really changed up from 8. The writing is exactly what you'd expect from the genre and games like VII and X are rather fundamental. The playstation games have handy cheat modes too to get past their bullshit, so grinding is easier and you can speed through random battles.

Aside from that Octopath Traveller is a great throwback game. It lacks some quality of life factors especially in regards to random battles, but battling in the game is very fun and interesting. It's a job system which is a specific type of jrpg better represented by the Bravely Default series, FFV and FFX2. This allows for a bit more customization and very cool combos. I almost regret having traded it back in, but Octopath is definitely good for a playthrough.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses is a strategy JRPG, so the plot tropes are there and all, as is the leveling up, but the gameplay is rather different. I haven't played the latest one, and I have rather disliked the series since Awakening, but I did love it for a long time and people vouch for the last one. If you like strategy games could be a good way to get your feet wet.

Achmed Jones posted:

i might buy splatoon 3. but ive never played splatoon, dont much care for competitive multiplayer, and am just kinda "whatever" about shooters

ok maybe i shouldnt buy splatoon 3.

but if it has a single player mode i probably will

The Single player is fun and "short". I ended up getting all the hero version of the weapons which requires you to beat every stage with every weapon. I would do this while talking with my folks on the phone (about an hour or so a week). The multiplayer is as competitive as you want it to be. The great thing about splatoon is that it's not about killing your opponents, though it helps, but rather painting. So if you just want to paint, and run at first sight, that's honestly not outright hurting your team.

hatty posted:

I’ve been “playing” Pikmin bloom lately since I’m a simp for the series and it’s not terrible. I like planting flowers with my Pikmin posse while on a walk

Does it measure distance you walk or distance you've moved? I bike to work and if that could count I'd be interested in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tampa Bae posted:

My only real exposure to RPGs is my sister, she was a huge fan of Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, and Persona games. I got kinda into FF13 because I liked the side-characters but she kept telling me how Lighting was the worst protagonist ever and I think that was my first RPG outside of Pokemon but she knows the entire history of every JRPG ever, she was trying to get me to play a PS1 game called Legend of Dragon that came out when she was like three years old.

I just want something I can have some fun on a handheld and burn like 80 hours on over a couple months.

e: for context we're both Japanese but moved to America in 2003 but she embraced the culture more than I did, I was a teenager and she was six

I haven't done SMT but they seem hard.

I really feel like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy would be up your alley. Just some good throwback JRPG. If you can get over the graphics FF7 is rather engrossing as is FF9 (I'm partial to FF6 but it's not available here).

They games are minimum 40 hours and if you really want to go all out you can get up to 80 hours. DQ is definitely a long game.

You can also try Tales of Vesperia, the combat in those is more action based but those are also long and involved.

So yeah I'd say DQXI for just classic JRPG or FF7 for a bit of JRPG history that still holds up today. The advantage to the latter, despite being old, is that it's still rather engrossing/timeless (like the best of games) and it has handy cheat modifiers to smooth out the rough edges at the click of a button like x3 speed, infinite health, or max special moves gauge. The latter are rather much, but the x3 is a godsend.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tampa Bae posted:

The last time I bought into a JRPG at launch was FF13, I'd rather play something on the switch that's already well-received. Pokemon is also coming out soon and Platinum was my favorite entry in the series so I'll go with the Dragon Quest demo and the Diamond/Pearl remakes as a backup. It's not that I can't afford all these games, I just don't have the time to play more than one 100+ hour game a year

That seems like a sound plan. I keep forgetting DQ11 has a massive demo. And if you enjoy Pokémon, more power to you. I didn't enjoy Sword/Shield that much and frankly I think I'll only get remakes of Blue/Red from here on out because I've come to terms that I only like that franchise for its nostalgia factor these days.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I've forgotten to mention but all the FF7, 8, 9, and 10 are all perfectly portable. What I mean to say is they use the d-pad for movement which is wonderful because of how lovely joycons can be at times. So that's just great since you can pretty much avoid using the sticks and preserve them for longer.

Just got Ifrit by the way. I'm really digging FFX. I'm curious to know what happened to Tidus and the deal with Sin. All the religion stuff is weird too especially of how it's so mixed in with blitzball. Also when's my first match? It's like the fireworks factory all over again.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The poor audio on poor connections is to be expected but it is kind of poo poo. I would expect people to want to play through a single-player game together online or not. A more intimate form of Let's Play. I don't know if something like rollback would prevent that altogether but at any rate, it's a fair complaint even if it can be otherwise avoided.

Lastdancer posted:

I look forward to your future reports on the Blitzball if you play it past the mandatory match.

Oh I definitely plan on digging into it, it's the only thing I really remember from watching my best friend in high school go through parts of the game.

Thunder Bear posted:

FAKE EDIT: I enjoy your sincere takes and insights on whatever game you're playing. :)

Thanks! The best part of this thread is hearing people talk about games they've enjoyed (or haven't!).

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tampa Bae posted:

Dragon Quest 11 Demo is really fun, thanks to everyone that recommended it to me, also cursing all of you who recommended it to me because I'm an hour into what I've read is a hundred hour game.

Hey you wanted a JRPG! Have fun friend!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Walla posted:

I really just want to play some fun games that aren't 100 hour RPGs.

So I don't know which of the following you have but great cheap games for small bursts or equivalent HOURS of gameplay (this eventually became a recommendation of non-JRPGs that I have. The Good for Non-gamers is a tag approved by my partner who generally hates games of all stripes):

-Hades. It's as good as people say it is. A genuine delight to play and I'm glad I managed to break out of it late this summer because if I hadn't I'd still be playing it. Tons of fun and you can sink as much time in it as you want, though it's hard to drop

-Stardew Valley. Another great pick up and play. Make your own goals and farm. Can also be awfully addictive and very "one more day" but it's a great little game.

-Into the Breach. Fantastic little strategy game that'll keep you busy. You can pick up and play and let it be as often as you like.

-Streets of Rage 4: One of the best, if not the best Beat 'em Up ever. It's incredibly fun, very simple to play, hard to master, and the generously priced DLC (I think total it's got to be some 25-30 euro, well worth it), adds a lot of longevity to it.

-Celeste is an excellent platformer that doesn't overstay its welcome and you can really work on the harder levels if you like.

-Mario+Rabbids is a great short strategy game with a bunch of options. That sequels due pretty soon.

-A Robot Named Fight- may not be everyone's cup of tea, but if Randomized Super Metroid sounds like your thing... well it hooked me for far longer than I would've expected.

-Shovel Knight- Great retro platformers that are insanely fun and quick to get your kicks from.

-Any of the Steamworld games, 2 and Heist in particular are loads of fun from platformer action or strategy respectively.

-Dicey Dungeons is cute fun. "randomized" dungeons and rather hard you can sink as much time into it as you like.

-Nuclear Throne is an excellent arcadey shooter. It's brutal though, so up to you how much time you want to sink into it.

-Return of the Obra Dinn is an experience that you cannot miss out on. It's a pity it has to end because solving it is a delight. Good for non-gamers.

-Good Job is silly physics simulation. You can get some laughs playing it. Good for non-gamers.

-Part Time UFO is a great series of tiny challenges that you can knock out at your leisure. Good for non-gamers.

-Untitled Goose Game is the very definition of short and fun alongside A Short Hike. You can't go wrong with either. The two are Good for non-gamers.

-Broforce is a laugh and half. The only problem is that once finished you may want more Broforce.

-Yoku's Island Express is a delight and a wonderful mix of genres. Very easy to get into and it'll make you want to 100% it. It's not long.

-Katamari Damacy Reroll is a wonderful little game with wonky controls. Very unique concept and you'll surely enjoy it.

-Donut County is a funny concept that doesn't last long but it's fun. Good for non-gamers.

-VVVVVV excellent platformer with style and music a bunch of challenging levels. If you liked Celeste you'll like this.

-Tetris Effect. It's the best tetris game out. You can't not enjoy it.

-If you have cash to spare Link's Awakening is a delight as is Tropical Freeze.

Games like Smash and Splatoon are expensive but have fun quick play multiplayer, but you need Online for that. If you do already have Online Basic then you should dip into some of the SNES games, they're genuinely great. From any of the Mario games, to Super Metroid, LttP, but absolutely Yoshi's Island.

I realize some of the titles especially at the top of the list like Hades or Stardew Valley can become forever games, but in theory they are "short".

Someone earlier asked for a good podcast game. I recommend Lonely Mountains: Downhill. It's a time trial racer on bikes. Can get frustrating but you can definitely listen to podcasts while crashing. I also enjoyed Hidden Folks for this, and back in the day Super Monkey Ball would be good for this sort of thing once the music ran its race.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zurtilik posted:

Hollow Knight does seem fun, I just have no reflexes so I'm mad jealous.

Like zero?

I want to say it's possible with rough video game skills, but yeah maybe not... There are certain badge combos you can make that help you cheese some stuff, but you still need to get to that point.

Still it's less "reflexes" and more pattern recognition. Now if you're just slow then that may be a problem because even if you have no reflexes but you learn to recognize the patterns and how to respond effectively you can definitely get through it.

Generally, I'd say if you could beat say... Celeste, you can probably beat Hollow Knight.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Walla posted:

That's a lot of games. I have some but I definitely need to give a few a second look. Thanks

I said not 100 hours.

Also I don't like metroidvanias. :)

Happy to help, hopefully something in there will pique your interest. Also it's good for me to keep handy on my first page of posting in case people ask for games in the future. It feels fairly comprehensive.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Walla posted:

I looked this up and I've looked at it before but I was worried it was going to be some cheap crap game. It's actually good?

I have Steamworld Quest and Heist. They're some of my favorites. I think I really need to get SoR4. I bought the Double Dragon and Kunio Kun collection and my son loves it but it's buggy as hell.

Thanks again!

If we're ever on the same time zone and I happy to be on my switch hit me up at 5181-2261-0743. I'm always up for some Streets of Rage 4. Same goes to the rest of you folks. That or tetris effect. Whenever, wherever.

I hope you guys enjoy it. It is pretty perfect and punching people doesn't get old. If you do like it, consider the DLC, it's only 8 bucks and it adds a ton of features to the game, especially the randomized survival mode if you feel like the story mode is getting stale on you.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Also can attest streets of rage 4 is very good, I used to play with 100years but I got way too busy at work since

Hell yeah. Those were good times.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Walla posted:

That's pretty awesome of you. I'm in the Eastern US, so I don't think it'll happen often. :)

I got excited for a minute thinking the new TMNT game was out but it's delayed.

I cannot wait for that. If it's not too pricey (30ish) I'll pick it up on launch. I loved Turtles in Time so much and this seems to be doing it some serious justice. It'll likely not have the depth of SoR4 but it looks charming enough to not need it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

HA. Finally beat that first Blitzball match. Screw you it matters. Wakka deserves it damnit.

I'm going to really enjoy playing my Numbersball game. But goodness do the Aurochs SUCK. They can't do anything well. I can't imagine the losses I'm going to rack training them to be halfway decent let alone trying to get better players (iirc that is something you can do).

Ok. Time to move on finally. It took me 5 failed attempts, which I don't think is bad, but there were the cutscenes, and I can't believe you can't skip or fast-forward through them, it's remarkable.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

NH is a very pretty game.

Kinda crazy GTA is out on Thursday. Won't be getting it right away but that's pretty neat. I hope it runs well.

I maybe run in the wrong circles but it's surprising to me FFX isn't mentioned in the same tones as FFVI or FFVII. Is it quite as good as those? Maybe not. The story's not quite there, but kinda since you're in an arguable World of Ruin from the get go, and the characterization is different. But I'm enjoying it so much more than FFVIII and FFIX. I'm not far in, I know, but Tidus and Yuna do a much better job of being "teens" as opposed to Squall and Rinoa and their attraction though clearly based on something and looks is far more organic. And while ultimately IX was great I warmed up to it very slowly and it's gameplay is nowhere near as good as the battling in X.

The Sphere grid is very neat, I can see myself going back one day and going with the open grid and the battling while simplistic is fun, since you need a bit of thought. I imagine it looked less nice on the PS2, but this version is gorgeous. It looks great.

The plot is good too even if not as grandiose as VI and VII. It's subtle but Yuna's a sacrifice isn't she? Also I suspect the main villain is Seymour but that's just based on looks. Please don't deny or confirm those suppositions because I'm quite curious to see where it goes.

Also, Tidus keeps narrating from an unknown point in the future which is pretty effective. I can't help but wonder if we ever catch up to that point.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Chieves posted:

If I recall, a lot of the complaints concerning X when it came out was that it was very linear, there was awkward early 2000's voice acting (though the laughing scene is absolutely intentional and it's stupid that people didn't realize it back then), and that a full 100% playthrough is absolutely insane.

Basically, the hype was already starting for Square to just make FF7 But Newer again, when instead we got the game we got.

All that said- I think X is great! I'll still have a soft spot for IX like you, but the battle system in X is still one of my favorite turn-based ones to this day. :)

That's funny. I guess it's a bit linear so far but most FF games are until you get your airship anyway. Linearity is a dumb complaint I find. With the glut of open world games, it's nice to have a straight path to take sometimes considering how poorly open-world can be implemented.

I actually really like the voice-acting. It's not perfect but I think it's better than I would've expected. And yeah I finally saw that laughing scene and it's very good. There's a real heart that you don't get in the other games thanks to the voice acting, the good-enough writing, and good graphics.

Like I adore 6 and the way it manages to give personality to those sprites with just some language and few animations is astonishing and all credit to them, but it goes to show what they can do with proper resources.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Harrow posted:

FFX's voice acting is doubly impressive when you know the insane constraints the localization team and cast were working under.

FFX was made before there was much of a standard for how voiced cutscenes should work. In FFX, every animation is hard-coded to line up with a voice line of a very specific duration--so specific that if any of the audio files were even a fraction of a second too long or too short, cutscenes would completely break. You know all those times a line sounds oddly sped up, or delivered too slowly? That's because it had to be to be exactly the right length, and also to at least kinda match the lip-flaps, which they also couldn't change in localization. All those times Yuna says "yes" super quickly are because the lines have to match a very brief "hai" in the Japanese dialogue.

That the voice acting turned out as well as it did is remarkable.

I remember reading an interview back when the game first came out where one of the localization team said Auron was their favorite character because his mouth is covered by his collar so often and they didn't have to worry as much about the lip-flaps.

The actors do great and I snicker to myself whenever I hear a bit of Bender in Wakka.

I'll have to replay it one day in Japanese to hear how they managed there.

Mister Facetious posted:

The soundtrack still holds up too. The piano theme for that opening sequence, or the music with Auron and Tidus in the prologue, which I really like:

It's good, but it hasn't wowed me yet like the tracks you hear from 6-8. I personally hold that 8 has the best soundtrack, that game has to have SOMETHING going for it, but the tracks in X haven't quite caught me yet. Might be habit. I did quite like the tunes on Besaid though, both in field and in town. They fit the chill atmosphere very well.

This going to make me break out Theatrhythm on my 3DS though.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Andrast posted:

why isn't there a switch theatrhythm square

Wasn't there a Kingdom Hearts one? All I know about that is that it's preventing me getting the full soundtrack in Smash which is an annoyance. I should see if a local game store gives full refunds if I return a game within the hour. And even then it's not worth the effort.

Mister Facetious posted:

8 has some really good poo poo and one of my favorite chill Overworld themes.

During my year of Final Fantasy where I played 6-9 I came to the conclusion that 6 was better scored than 7 but 7 had the better music overall of the two. Then 8 came along and blew them both away by being both better scored and with better songs. 9 is fine.

What I mean by scored, is that the songs suit their settings. It's impressive to me how 6 with less songs managed to repeat the tracks at times and get them to fit their settings to a T. 7 has some AMAZING songs, but I didn't find they quite always hit the mark mood wise. Like Uematsu was just composing some great tracks but they seemed a bit out of place. 8 does the two wonderfully.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Maybe not underrated but I almost never hear anyone talking about it as their favorite or as the best. I'm still not ready to say it dethrones 6 or 7 but I'm enjoying it immensely more than 8 or 9 and I think a case can be made for it against those other two, though I'm still very clearly not far in.

Another point in it's favor, I've realized it I can play it using my SNES controller which is AWESOME.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Looper posted:

i only ever see olds talk about 6 these days. if i had to guess the top three FFs, I'd go with 7, 10, and 14

time to rank them, everybody

Uh does being 32 make me old? Huh. Certainly don't feel that way.

I'm at 6, 7, 10 at the moment, I guess.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Finally 100% Picross S6 with No Assist. Clip 4 felt like it took forever, and of course I still hate the Extra puzzles since one mistake and you might have to redo an hour's work if you aren't lucky to finagle a fix.

Other than that, it's still Picross, and Picross always owns.

I'm loving the Navigation tool in S1 so much that I never want to go back to No assist. It's just so relaxing that way.

I'm working through the Mega Picross puzzles, and I sort of don't entirely get it yet. Inklings of why it makes sense appear here and there, but I'm not convinced I understand how it's played. I don't know if I'll pick up S2 once done or the Sega one.

I've actually kinda disliked the art in S1. Coming into it from Mario Picross I'm not a fan of all the shading it does, because at times it makes the puzzle itself a indistinguishable, until it's been colored in. I'm hoping the Sega one goes back to brightly colored pixel art like Mario Picross.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'd say my only complaint is the amount of cutscenes. It's nice, but there are times you feel like you can't move 2 minutes without someone piping up.

Full FF list of the games I've played so far.

6, 7, 10, 4, 9, 1, 8, 5, 2, 3.

You will notice I am not a fan of job systems. They are undeniably fun, but they often give me choice paralysis.
6 has the best villain, an excellent story, shockingly good characterization too boot.
7 is rather epic, has better characterization than 6 but a crappier villain, and a more refined version of 6's gameplay.
10 I've enjoyed so far for the good characters, story, and graphics, I've also just enjoyed it more at first glance than 8 or 9 (though I may've been burned out by then).
4 introduced me to Dragoons my favorite class and it's a bit wild where it goes. I like it a lot.
9 was better than I expected and I really enjoyed the story for the most part and the characters' growth, gameplay was slow and I hated skills via items.
1 is clunky but I think it nails it with giving you the chance to choose your classes and go from there. I've played the updated versions which smooth out some of its rougher edges.
8 is ridiculously ambitions and stupid as poo poo, but it grew on me nonetheless. I love the soundtrack.
5 has an amazing jobs system, but I'm not a fan of that style.
2 is weird as poo poo, but neat in its weirdness.
I played the DS version of 3. It was fine.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's weird that they're releasing the GTA trilogy so quickly after announcing it but without showing very much.

LionArcher posted:

Anyone excited for GTA trilogy on the switch! I'm ready for it (but due to those leaked screen shots, I'm waiting to see a review before I buy).

Very excited but yeah it's a bit suspicious. That said I'm going to wait for a sale. I've got plenty to deal with at the time.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

bovis posted:

Got them preloaded right now and they're currently sitting at 2.6gb, 5.3gb, and 11.9gb

Interesting so it loads 3 different game icons altogether. That's handy I guess if you don't want a giant package sitting in your memory card in one go.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sudden Javelin posted:

I'm far more addicted to designing houses than I thought I'd be so yes

How much is the DLC for AC standalone, just 20 bucks?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What would be the top 5 SNES JRPG's that aren't Chrono Trigger?

Like I'm not talking about it when talking Final Fantasy, but CT is a class of its own.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

GreatGreen posted:

Why would anybody play any game with a "progress" system if out of nowhere, without warning beforehand, it can just be completely invalidated at any time with no ability to influence it?

You're not going to like the answer but that's Mario Party. Hell that's a lot of "Mario" brand multiplayer games. Things like Mario Kart have items specifically to gently caress the day of the people in first and it has nothing to do with skill. And if you play Smash Bros with items, it doesn't matter all that much how good or bad you are at the game.
The idea is to greatly equalize the playing field and give everyone a chance. Your wife seems to manage to play the game just fine, but imagine if she was awful at the game. She's the one with zero stars. Well, now she gets a chance to win. It's more fun when it's person to person, and if you can take it in stride, but it's definitely purposeful.

The chaos of Mario multiplayer games is just that. Hopefully you can learn to enjoy it but if you can't that's understandable.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Zurtilik posted:

To be honest any game that has tried to add flavor to combat usually just becomes tedious like Octopath. I'd rather something simple and streamlined. Sooner or later I'm going to get bored on the 500th fight regardless of what gimmicks you're throwing my way.

I really liked Octopath, but it's true some of the random late game battles were just taking up time. They were very beatable, but the game's mechanics made the whole thing take longer than I would like at times.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yeah mario party games have always been like that. Like others have said, it's more fun when it's another person in the room (rather than a computer player) because then you get all the hootin and hollerin and "you mother fucker" moments.

I think Super Mario Party had a mode where you can just play the minigames instead of going through the whole board game thing, if you'd rather do that. I don't know if this newest one has that feature though

Sounds like you guys were having fun up to the point when she got hosed over...it'll be worth going back to it with the correct mindset!

Also if you remember what CPU it was (Wario, Peach whatever) you now have an ingame rival to CRUSH to her delight in future rounds.

Anthropomorphize that AI.

My sister and I had a vendetta against that loving Blue Bomber in Super Bomberman. That fucker would always get us.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I think my favorite virtual board game remains: Board Game Top Shop on the PS1. We found that in a bargain bin and just loved playing it.

It has bullshit factors that can instantly bankrupt you and aspects that serve no point like Chirp Chirp shoes (shoes that make a sound effect, cost a ton, and do nothing else), but it was great fun and shutting down your friends stores to put up your own never got old.

I think board games need a touch of chaos, because if it's just skill it's a done deal if you're not all the same level of good.

I was generally the best of my friends at Melee, so after we did our try-hard fights and people would start getting discouraged, we'd start doing free-for-alls with or w/out items and that would just be fun. People ganging up on one another or just doing bullshit. If it's just skill it's not going to be fun for everyone.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Walla posted:

I didn't really become an RPG player until my 20's. During the SNES days it was a lot more fighters, brawlers, sports and racers. Probably my favorite SNES games were Turtles in Time and Battletoads and Double Dragon. Excite Bike is easily my favorite NES game of all time.

I have such high hopes for Shredder's Revenge, I can't even begin to tell you.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Ok what’s a better value if I want to play more Mario games and give Nintendo money.

Buy Super Mario 3D All Stars

Or

Subscribe to the Nintendo Online expansion for a year?

3D Allstars gets you Galaxy and Sunshine. Great and flawed. It's also a full price game.

Online expansion runs at 50 per year (if you don't have online already, if so it's 30) and gets you every home console Mario game from the N64 down so: 64, Yoshi's Island, World, Mario All-Stars and Mario NES 1-3. More Mario and for a cheaper price, plus you get 2 Mario Kart games.

I'd say Online Expansion is the better deal. BUT if you want to give Nintendo More Money for Less Mario get 3D All Stars.

If for whatever reason you have genuinely never played the old 2D Mario games, don't think about it, Act Now. 3 and the 2 SNES games are incredible. 1 is actually pretty good. Lost Levels is insane and SMB 2/USA is cute, though I personally didn't find it as fun to play as much as I appreciated the concept.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

To be fair I know for a fact I wouldn't have Super Mario World* if I made a Top 5 SNES games list.

* If it was the version of All-Stars that had it I might.

That's cause Yoshi's Island is better.

In no order...

Chrono Trigger, FFVI, Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Yoshi's Island. Arguably my favorite SNES games and Super Metroid is something else because I only played that for the first time a couple of years ago. That game is a GOAT.

Edit: I could squeeze out Chrono Trigger for Kirby Superstar. Maybe. I resonated more with FFVI emotionally, though I think a very good case could be made for CT being better.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 7, 2021

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Never played Mega man X…

Bum the Sad posted:

Earthbound p good

Battling is too hard ultimately. Great game otherwise.

Mister Facetious posted:

I want to fit Diddy's Kong Quest in there, but it'd be really hard.

Yeah… could maybe replace Kirby but not really. If I had never played Super Metroid then yes its on the list.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Spacebump posted:

Completely agree.

Also, some players are just better at reacting to whatever item is thrown at them. Being able to deal with that added level of craziness is a skill in Smash. Playing the game with no items has always felt lame.

I feel that if you’re not doing 1v1 then items do equalize it some. 1v1 will almost always boil down to skill.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

That's strange. When I went into Super Metroid, the controls hardly phased me. I got used to its world and then just had a blast. It's a very well designed Metroidvania and it encourages you to explore and test things. Plus the physics work in its favor but you do have to accept them.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

FFXIV Porn posted:

doom and quake also. i'd be curious to know what's been run the most actually

Checked speedrun.com, thanks google, and they claim it's Mario 64 as does Guinness book of world record. By the formers counts on its own Website Super Metroid is in 7th place. It has an entry list on the wikipedia page for notable games to speed run for what it's worth. Doom and Quake are also there, but not on speedrun.coms top 10. Metroid as a series is 9th in popularity.

But that's one site so who knows.

Mario 64 and Mario at large seems to be the most popular game/series to do by a wide margin however.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The map tells you what door it is

But does it do so using a symbol or using a color because if it's the latter that doesn't help anyone.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don't remember fights being especially hard in Earthbound. Especially if you buy bottle rockets and the multi bottle rockets in particular let you buy your way through boss fights.

I think there's a point where you get strong enough to just go through it, but the grind is pretty real at the beginning. The fights aren't hard, in that there's not much to actually do, but you can get under-leveled if you don't fight a lot.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

this is gonna sound like flame bait, but are any of the (mainline) pokémon games actually worth playing as an adult if you have never played one before? i'm sure i'll get one for little jones when he's a bit better at reading to help him with it; i'm more wondering if there'd be anything that'll pique my own interest. i like cute things and generally think pokémon are cute if that helps.

A bit late, but if you've NEVER played a Pokémon game I think you'd enjoy playing one. I didn't really enjoy my experience with Sw/Sh because I've definitely outgrown the series, but I played through to Diamond originally, so I was definitely hoping for something else, but the series has hardly changed. I did enjoy the collecting aspect of it enough to be goaded into getting a full Dex with the friend who convinced me to get the game.

They're not complicated to play, and the stories are hardly interesting, but collecting poo poo is very addicting for what it's worth. And as let down and eventually bored I was with Sw/Sh, even I got a kick from using my favorite monsters to wreck Trainers since all these children are so loving convinced they're great, and I got rather excited when my only Shiny turned out to be a Sir Fetch'd. A golden Knight of a duck. That's not bad I'll admit.

Wasn't enough to get me to keep the cart. The data's there but I don't see myself wanting to play that game again.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Barreft posted:

Hey 100 how are your thoughts now this far into FFX?

I was going to play again but the unskippable cutscenes pushed me to actually play FFX-2 for the first time and I'm liking it. I miss Blitzball though.

My vacation ended so I only got as far as Djose at the moment. I'll probably sink a couple more hours in this weekend. I'm enjoying it and sticking with it. The cutscenes are fine with me, as I've never seen them. They're a moment to drink some water, pet the cat, check my phone, but honestly they're not bad. Like they're interesting enough. The battling is still a lot of fun and the cast is good.

I want to sink my teeth into Blitzball a bit more, but the game seems like it's pretty on rails atm, so I want it to open up a bit. Like not full map access, just getting out of Midgar access. I figure that shouldn't be long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Vice City trip report:

It still owns. Nothing has fundamentally changed. I'm still launching into the air at random and my car is getting stranded on a tiny asset of some kind of debris. It's the exact same engine and weird bugs as always. Perfect.

As for graphics: they're not nearly as bad as the doomcryers say. Weather effects and explosions and all that are fine. But there are some BIZARRE character models. Skinny people look fine, but all the fat characters have such crazy proportions after being converted from low polygon lego brick people. Reflections on cars are gorgeous. No fog really helps the Vice City look.

How are loading times? Can you drive across the whole city like in San Andreas or does it still load halfway through?

Not that it matters, this all sounds great and first sale that comes along I'm 100% getting it. Is it possible to buy them piecemeal though? I'll probably just get Vice City for the moment then San Andreas eventually, probably not 3.