Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I dunno what happened to the last thread but the nintendo controller you shove up your rear end is obviously the wiimote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sudden Javelin posted:

While it's obviously a net positive that he's not making female players feel uncomfortable, I do think they've made him a bit too normal this time round. Man used to sing about his love for big sumo wrestlers and fart mid song and talk about how awesome mothers are and just came across like a bit of a lunatic

This time he's just a nice old man that loves his family. If he was a bit more weird without being creepy that'd be ideal imo. Still has an obsession with cucumbers at least

Well, he is a kappa. There is the one where he says he might go off-key because the outboard motor fumes are getting to his head.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I obviously don't know much about animals in Japanese culture, but in Metal Gear Solid 3, aren't those things that you can find all throughout the game kappas, which are essentially frogs?

In the 3DS version, they're Yoshis!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Youkai is a word that translations of Japanese stuff have had trouble with; Inuyasha infamously used 'Demon', while 'Fey' might be closer but the connotations for that are probably a bit kiddie. Unless you're into the kind of fairy tales that love pointing out how mythical creatures can so very often be both whimsical and brutally deadly. Think like, brownies, selkies, kelpies and red caps.

Zelda is a funny one to bring up there given it shamelessly uses mishmashes of Eastern and Western mythology and fairy tales, what with the Master Sword being Excalibur in the stone and Link being based on Peter Pan.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Silver Falcon posted:

Technically, Excalibur wasn't the sword in the stone. :eng101: Yes, it's weird that King Arthur had multiple magical swords associated with him, no it doesn't make much sense.

I'm quite aware, hence being specific about it being Excalibur! :eng101: The real fun thing is that the sword in the stone wasn't even that special, going by Mallory (or maybe TH White) iirc he pulled it casually to give to Kay because he really needed one, then people started asking where he got it from.

Of course, the entire King Arthur mythos is a combination of dozens if not hundreds of different stories from different sources including literal fanfiction from centuries after the fact.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Is kinda funny that Nintendo's technically never stopped using carts (in their handhelds) and suddenly storage has come around to carts being ideal again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Google Butt posted:

What's the best switch era Pokemon game

Snap

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Is Bust Rodd still too embarrassed to keep playing Super Mario Odyssey after he realised he didn't need to level up Mario to unlock his jumps

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

WHY BONER NOW posted:

don't forget, there is a tetris 99 maximus cup for a mario party skin this weekend

I got Tetris Maximus on my second try of that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty much all the Metroid Dread bosses are a case of kicking your rear end til you figure out the patterns and what tool you're meant to use in that stage. A few of them even have patterns that are basically 'skip to next stage of boss fight' once you figure them out, usually based on counters.

There's some less intuitive stuff with colour-coding and specific use weapons. I keep forgetting to even use the storm missiles for anything but the specific obstacles once I got them, but pretty much anything involving multiple targets is meant for that to be used on, while the Power Bomb's signature colour is orange. Incidentally, that's why the final EMMI, which is orange, is a cutscene boss- its signature weapon is the Power Bomb, it's not going to even bother chasing you down when it just uses that to blow the room open.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Feels Villeneuve posted:

idk, obviously this is pure speculation but it would be idiotic for them to abandon the portable market entirely and Idk if they'd separate the two markets again. bring back the 3ds screen imo

Yeah, Nintendo was lucky enough to hold onto the portable market even as the rise of phone games devoured it, and they're not going to get the casual market the same way they did with the DS again. Given the difficulty they've had keeping market share in the home console market at the same time, I think Nintendo's smart to stake out the hinterland they've occupied. They got lucky enough with their major home console competitors getting hosed over by logistical issues.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Part-Time UFO has very GBA vibes, complete with reusing Kirby sprites.

Nintendo has gladly adopted at least one aspect of digital distribution in that they can make smaller-scale, cheaper games and release them easily on their own platforms without having to go through retailers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I remember loving Toejam & Earl as a little kid but I try watching reviews or gameplay of it now and I have no gd clue what is going on. It seems like the gameplay is just walking around aimlessly

It's a beat em up where you fight humans iirc

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Best graphics is of course a subjective thing. For prettiest looking, hell, Mario Odyssey and Smash Ultimate are no slouches.

Have to see how that new post-apocalyptic 3D Kirby game shapes out, because that certainly looks pretty from the trailer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Though it miiiight be worth waiting for Splatoon 3 at this point if you've got a Switch back catalogue to go through, 2 isn't getting any more events.

New Pokemon Snap is a cute and fun experience, I've heard mixed things about the new mainline Pokemon games; Sword and Shield seem to be widely considered disappointing and almost unfinished, while I haven't heard much about the Diamond and Pearl remakes but they seem relatively unambitious.

While mainline Mario games can be rather a given, Odyssey really is an unforgettable experience. Absolutely top of their game.

Golf Story is almost overdone as the indie Switch exclusive (last I checked) but it's charming, funny and bite-sized, also pretty cheap by now, and it does some fun things with the hardware. (Best played with joy-cons)

If you hadn't played it on the Wii U or 3DS, Captain Toad is also pretty fun. Meatier than it looks, it's surprising what they can get out of 'Mario style platforming without the jump button'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Getting into Miitopia pretty late, I wouldn't say it's a great or challenging game, but it's a lot of fun and pretty hilarious to be fighting to save the world from the Dark Lord Frasier.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fuligin posted:

Man i should really replay dinosaur planet and see if its worth a drat as an adult. I feel like its kind of forgotten compared to the rest of gc's catalogue

I remember a lot of hype for it leading up to what amounts to a pretty mediocre Zelda game with Star Fox stuff tacked on.

For a franchise that's a classic for me, Star Fox has had kind of a raw deal, relegated to spinoffs and third-party entries with half-baked canon baggage weighing it down Sonic style. At least Zero had the right idea to full on reboot it, despite having its own problems. (also like Sonic, lovely gimmick levels to pad out the playtime)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I use a mix of digital and cartridges for my games, the former mostly for games like Animal Crossing I play all the time, as well as stuff that happens to be on sale super cheap. Being able to use hand-me-downs is handy.

Physical with the Switch is arguably a bit less of a hassle than other consoles, since the carts are much smaller and easier to carry around than disks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Chieves posted:

That speed boost trap and the Power Bomb Pipe (spoiler for another "ugh" moment others have later on if you care) are two of the largest flaws in what is otherwise an immaculate game.

The attract mode when you leave the title screen on has answers

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Most of my 'hunting' in BOTW was picking up roadkill once I got the Giant Horse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm kinda surprised that it's only new tracks, I was expecting some new characters and kart parts to be announced at some point as well. I know they have a lot already but still, Pauline seems a no-brainer.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

djfooboo posted:

These mega-polished Switch titles like SSMU and MK8 make me wonder where the hell they can even go from here. SSBU has so many great extras, would love to see some weirdness in MK9. Like even just an item selection like green shells only, no blue shells, huge racer counts, etc.

I really do think they should just go gently caress it and actually make a new F-Zero. More racer fun while being different enough probably not to cannibalise MK8DX's continued sales too much.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m pretty sure, having been tracking the digital sales of Mario Kart 8 since 2019, that this last e-shop sale at $40 was basically Nintendo going “we have sold every copy of this game we think we could possibly sell”

Pretty sure that was right after the DLC was announced, and probably meaning to capitalise on the impulse buyers. It sure worked on me, since I'd given my physical cart to my brother.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I remember having some fun time coming up with metaphors explaining the casts of Smash Bros and FighterZ. Just be glad that Dragon Ball games don't also include Candy Ball Gogeta. (or maybe sad, depending)

The Dragon Ball example I likened more to if WWE games let you play as wrestlers from different stages of their careers, under the different names and gimmicks, which I don't think you usually get because WWE has a policy of never acknowledging the past. (Probably because it's full of cocaine, sex crimes, tragedy and cocaine-fuelled sex crime tragedies)

But yeah, the reason why there's at least two of so many characters in MK8DX is basically for weight class reasons; if you like Mario but want to play a more heavyweight character, you got Metal Mario right there, or go more lightweight with Raccoon or Baby Mario. That said, I do get the feeling Nintendo thinks people like the babies for some reason. It's like the 90s and 00s where everything had to have a spinoff where they're babies.

Mind you, I'm the one who mains Pink Gold Peach.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

3D Kirby does strike me as the early levels inevitably gonna be even more baby mode than most Kirby games since it's 3D.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

Some games literally ARE for babies, that’s ok! Capt’ Toad’s Treasure Tracker is a fun and cute little toy, but it inarguably balanced so that 6 year olds can solve the puzzles. Expecting “Kirby: Deedeedee May Cry” from a Kirby game is just gonna serve up disappointment

Until you get to the boss rush, that is. Also figure out the lore.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Read After Burning posted:

I have never played Kirby 64; how is it?

On top of also chiming in that it's great, it's also got a special kind of charm in being kinda the last gasp of the older style games, where there's a wide variety of copy abilities rather than fewer with more moves (though quite a few Kirby 64 copy abilities got basically incorporated into movesets starting with Return to Dream Land) and there's also much more variety in visual design- every level is unique with very little asset reuse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

American McGay posted:

Imagine thinking Paris Promenade isn't loving amazing lmao. A Mario Kart track where the final lap is driving into incoming traffic.

Mirrored N64 Toad's Turnpike remains the best track.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Larryb posted:

Super Star Ultra does refer to him as a “hero” after all despite the fact that his first instinct whenever he shows up is to destroy whatever’s in front of him

Team Kirby Clash does imply that Galacta Knight was one of four heroes who sealed away Void Termina- hence the four spears in the Jamba Heart- and basically the predecessor of Kirby and/or Meta Knight. Some material, the context for his usually non or questionably canon boss fights, and dev statements also imply that Galacta Knight isn't exactly following a linear timeline. IIRC, there's a few cases where the way he's beaten in one game is the way he appeared in the last one. And then there's the completely out of nowhere Morpho Knight...

Morter posted:

The only Kirby games I've played are that gameboy one (The one that starts with Green Greens) and...whenever I select him in the Smash games.

He's pretty cool though

You've played the OG and that's cool. Also, The Subspace Emissary is basically a Kirby game repurposed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Waffle! posted:

It's funny how S/NESflix has people going back to GameFAQs like it's 1998 again.

GameFAQs continues to have a better format and structure than any loving guides and wikis and goddamn videos they expect you to watch nowadays

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wait "River City Girls: Zero" is only 3 hours long according to HLTB (though only three people polled).

$15 for three hours? They can't be serious.

That sounds pretty sus and is probably people who've played the original on emulator.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The 32x was a surefire winner, it was the market that was wrong for not buying it.

They had to stay competitive with the Atari Jaguar!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The 7th Guest posted:

i mean they would have franchised the gently caress out of those series if they could have (taxi did get a sequel and many ports). chu chu rocket got a sequel a couple of years ago, and i think billy hatcher was just a forgotten gamecube game

they don't have their own console that they have to overproduce for anymore, so of course they're not doing a bunch of new IP. New IP are a risk and SEGA has a deep catalog of legacy properties as well as ATLUS' catalog that they can mine from and that's probably what they'll continue to do

that's why I always thought the "nintendo should go third party" arguments were so dumb, because it would mean a massive downsizing to the corporation and fewer games. you probably would never get a Splatoon from a third-party Nintendo.

Yeah, especially dumb if the same people who go 'Nintendo only makes the same Mario and Zelda over and over!' go 'Nintendo should go third party' because if they DID go third party, you'd absolutely get doubling down on standard formula Mario and Zelda as they need the steady money to stay afloat.

If anything a big problem with the rest of the industry is being averse to going outside their ever-narrowing comfort zones and massively overinvesting in a few projects, meaning that most of the time when they do try something new it ends up a ruinous flop because they have no idea what they're doing. Balan Wonderworld comes to mind. I really find it hard to believe that Square-Enix literally can't comprehend how to do a decent platformer without bringing in a Sonic Team lead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

He strikes eternal in Blitzhalla, shiny and wet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tidus is a ghost footballer from the future

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Spacebump posted:

wait until people find out Nintendos are toys.

Nintendo is a toy company.

I do love when WarioWare has games based on super obscure toys from their olden days.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

Here me out. Kirby Warriors.

Not that far fetched given the spinoffs so far.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I have literally played my Game Boy in the Australian outback. The only trouble was the heat broke my battery charger.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

man nurse posted:

I broke my N64 controller in pure rage because of Mario Golf as a kid lol

And they say it's not a realistic simulation of the sport.

Just finished (well, got the credits of) Kirby and the Forgotten Land. I do love that it does not disappoint for freaky poo poo and deep lore right at the end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

GreatGreen posted:

NES is different. There are only two face buttons. Mario set the benchmark control layout here. Hold the tip of your thumb on the run button and use the base of your thumb to hit the jump button. That was the most comfortable way to play that game and allowed you to move your hand less to operate.

After that, consoles improved and gave you four face buttons in a diamond layout. The logical, more ergonomic move was to take the classic Mario control scheme and angle the jump button, previously to the direct right of the old action button, downwards by about 45 degrees to better accommodate human anatomy and how the thumb rests against the controller.

How this is not blindingly obvious to anyone who has ever picked up both controllers I'll never know.

You'd be amazed at how people manage to gently caress up operating a controller. Like the people confused about the N64 controller thinking they need three hands for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

at least it stays good longer than sonic 1

you hit marble zone in sonic 1 and the momentum, both figurative and literal, just grinds to a halt and the game never recovers. even in 1993 i thought it sucked.

sonic 2 seems like a fluke in hindsight, that game is legit great in a series that mostly sucks

Sonic 1 is very much a case of a game series where they hadn't quite figured out where the core appeal really lay, and 2 is where they hit their stride. Unfortunately, I think Sonic Team never really recovered from getting hosed around pretty much constantly ever since the end of the Genesis/Mega Drive.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've started XCOM 2 (not yet War of the Chosen, that'll be next) and while the Briefing/Bridge screen interface is still kind of confusing, I'm enjoying this way more than XCOM 1 (enemy unknown/within). I realize that there's a time limit, generally (isn't there?) but it doesn't feel as oppressive as 1. In EU, it felt like you definitely couldn't save the entire world and were punished for that, despite succeeding where you did. "Oh, you saved China, but lost Canada, when we provided you with this totally binary choice between the two? Welp, goooood job with that, hope you like the outcome". So far, I'm not getting that feeling in 2.

Yeah, the Avatar Project is mostly there as a reminder that you're on the back foot and the bad guys are proceeding at their pace, but you'll have more than enough opportunities to set them back. Most of the main story missions will knock off a square or two.