Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
It's easier to be frame perfect when you only have 20 frames a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Regarding N64 NSO: yes it's serviceable in that you can play games online and they basically work, more or less. But there's a genuine problem with Nintendo where there's a lack of functional consistency across its (specifically, retro-focused) products, especially across hardware generations. While Nintendo is getting more criticism this time in the past, there's also plenty of people defending them and ignoring the issues because it's Nintendo in a way they wouldn't with other products and manufacturers. Consider that the consensus around the SEGA Genesis Classics collection is that it's unplayable garbage, when it largely suffers from the exact same problems as N64 NSO (input lag, emulation accuracy, etc.).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Consider that Sega games are mostly garbage whereas Nintendo games are mostly not garbage
I suppose. I'm not sure the SEGA Genesis/MD NSO apps are all that popular even though the emulation is very good.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

I know the dev is within their rights to get more money, but was it ever announced that Isaac: Repentance would be paid DLC? I don't remember reading about it.
They announced a physical release back in March with a $60 preorder, and at that time it was already released as paid DLC on Steam. I'm not sure if Edmund clarified on Twitter at the time that it was going to be paid DLC on the Switch but I don't think anyone assumed it would be a free update given those circumstances.

I'm more curious about the new physical edition. It will have to be a separate release from the digital one since there's no way otherwise to include DLC on cart, but will they have a mechanism to transfer saves (like the Pokémon+DLC release last year) or require you to start over?

I mean, I'm not that curious because it's $60 and gently caress Nicalis.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'd plug the Split Pad Pro again but apparently it's not compatible with the new (OLED) dock. Which I don't really think is the Split Pad Pro's fault. Anyways my dock is still in the box.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not true, I have been using my Split Pad Pros on my OLED dock with no issue. However, I did try to dock it onto my friend's non-OLED Switch and it wouldn't fit.
Huh, so I found out from the graphic on Hori's site (scroll towards the bottom).

So the SPP+OLED Switch works in the OLED dock but not the SPP+OG Switch? That's interesting.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

loudog999 posted:

Split Pad users, what games do you find yourself taking them off and going back to joy-cons?
So far literally nothing. There's some games where motion controls no longer work but the larger sticks make up for it anyways.

I tried the new white joycon with Metroid Dread briefly and went back to the SPP immediately.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

loudog999 posted:

Ok, I’m digging mine back out to give them a shot. Need to get used to them before I super glue the Mega Man one on.
The Mega Man ones look great. I bought the Pac-Man ones a while back because I liked the colored sticks and d-pad, so between that and my OG DXM model I already have two and have a difficult time justifying a third.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Why do 8bitdo controllers sometimes just... not pair with the switch?
I have a SN30 Pro+, Pro 2, and M30. The Pro 2 and M30 both work without issue. The Pro+ sometimes takes a while to connect, and sometimes the Switch will get cranky and not recognize it until I hold the pair button ontop, which re-pairs it.

I don't think my Pro+ is running the latest firmware version, but the last I checked the latest firmware releases were marked beta. I actually use it more frequently than my Pro 2--it isn't really an issue I'm too bothered by.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm not sure I'm buying this fancy microwave stuff. You're just throwing EM radiation at your food, possibly PWMed at really low cycle frequencies. Like sure some of the special functions are pretty good for defrosting meat by weight or something but gently caress you still need a stove/oven/(preferably) grill to acutally cook.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

We also got our NES Christmas of 88. Was that the year most kids got one? Wikipedia says it debuted in 85 in NA?
Technically the NES launched in North America in '85 but it was a soft launch in New York as a test market. It launched nationwide in '86 but didn't pick up steam until '87, which was also the year of many pivotal releases: Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania, Mega Man.

In '88 Nintendo released the NES Action Set which was price reduced and included the Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt combo cart as a pack-in. So yes, the holidays that year is when it really exploded.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Buy Super Mario 3D All Stars

Or

Subscribe to the Nintendo Online expansion for a year?
1. Buy Super Mario 3D All-Stars
2. Beat it, sell it.
3. Subscribe to NSO Expansion Pass maybe?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I was thinking the Expansion Service is actually a better deal as it includes Mario 64,
The port of Mario 64 in SM3DAS is way better looking and has more control options than the NSO version. Unless you care about backwards long jump the SM3DAS version is just better, which is why it's criminal they no longer sell it digitally.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The only thing holding me back on the expansion is the emulation issues - but honestly after watching the below video I think some of these issues are exaggerated and some come down to just the Switch being underpowered
The Wii has better emulation of N64 titles than NSO. Like the emulation might be good enough for you but the problems aren't due to the Switch being underpowered, and people are right for demanding better at such a price premium.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

No. 1 ANIME HATER posted:

Can't believe I have to wait another 5 days for the Zelda Game and Watch
Look on the bright side, you have another five days to ponder why they didn't include the DX version of Link's Awakening.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I don't think you have to wall jump in Dread but it's so easy to do even by accident that I did it plenty. I also bombed jumped a few times to get a handful of items without having to backtrack later.

I think there is one spot in Dread you may have to bomb jump to escape if you get to too early. It's the shinespark puzzle below the green teleporter in Burenia. The first time I was there I grabbed the missle pack but decided to punt on the puzzle--I can't remember if I was actively blocked or just didn't want to commit to it yet, and the only other way out is a tunnel with bomb blocks you have to bomb jump to get back up to.

Bust Rodd posted:

This seems impossible unless your using a guide, Super Metroid deliberately traps you in a pit with 3 monkeys after you get speed boost
As long as you don't save in the pit you can reload and get the energy tank without falling in. I think there's a missile expansion there too but you could come back after getting space jump if you want 100%.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The silliest part of Dread is when you get a power bomb expansion early it reports "Unknown item" and doesn't actually give you power bombs. Which is a thing because even casual backtracking will reveal a couple of these.

The only other time I think this happens in the series is in Zero Mission when you('re forced to) get space jump "early", but in that case Zero Mission was a remake of Metroid in which space jump didn't exist, and Samus doesn't get access to the post-Metroid powers until the post-OG Metroid ending sequence.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Oxyclean posted:

I'm okay with this since it means you can pick up a few along the way and go to the final boss with more then the starting amount without a lot of back tracking.
Countepoint: Is early power bombs actually game breaking in anyway? Maybe it makes some cutscenes a bit silly, but I'm not sure it actually changes gameplay in a significant way other than awesome room clearing stuff.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

does metroid dread do the thing that super metroid did where there's like green and orange doors, and you have very limited missiles or bombs or whatnot, and if you're colorblind you're boned bc you can't tell that the door is a new color, and don't have the missiles for a "shoot every door" strategy?
There's actually two kinds of green doors and I wasn't paying close enough attention to realize they looked different, so I unloaded all my missiles on one of the "wrong" kind before I actually had the ability to unlock it.

Seriously though you should be OK even without the map text.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Oxyclean posted:

It feels like any half-inquisitive player will end up with early power bomb expansions.
That's probably true. I think the "Unknown item" thing is basically fan service.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Re: Double Versions:

As hinted to by the thread this was a thing that was embraced kind of widely after the success of Pokémon and even if you didn't need to purchase "both" versions of that there's certainly an appeciated cynicism that you might have to for any other game that tried this. Or you might purchase the "bad" version which I think was the case with one of the MMBN titles.

Personally I've been a not-fan of Pokémon from the beginning--the entire concept is unappealing to me--so yes it's a bit strange to see people be suddenly bothered by something this time that's been present since the beginning here.

The Zelda Oracle titles did it pretty well since they were wholly distinct games that just happened to be released simultaneously. But I'm glad this is no longer a regular thing outside Pokémon.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tender Bender posted:

Are people using their Switch OLED in Vivid or Standard mode?
I haven't bothered to change the default, so I suppose that's Vivid mode.

Tender Bender posted:

Vivid makes colors really pop but it feels like it must be distorting the "real" colors.
Sure, but this isn't fine cinema. Many video games already use highly-saturated neon colors to begin with, so Vivid mode is just "more neon" here. User preference.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Volte posted:

The diagrams only prove Yamashita's point. The vivid mode maps the colours onto the entire colour gamut of the OLED which is much wider than the sRGB colour profile, hence why it looks more vibrant. The standard mode clamps the colours to the sRGB colour gamut which is what the games were designed for, so it should look more-or-less "correct". It's not just a saturation boost though, it's an entirely different colour management profile and affects the actual number of colours that the screen will display. On one hand, the standard mode is the "correct" colour profile to display the games as they were designed, but on the other hand it pretty heavily kneecaps one of the major "wow" factors of the OLED screen, so I understand why Nintendo would hesitate to make that default.
So all this is true up to the point of "what the games were designed for". sRGB was created in 1996 and standardized in 1999. I don't know about DOOM 64 but I'm pretty certain that the sprite artists working on DOOM graphics in Deluxe Paint II just turned the dials on their CRTs until it "looked good" if not full blast, and certainly that's what we did when we played DOOM in 1994.

In an ideal world the Switch would support HDR-ish features including non-sRGB color gamuts and DOOM remasters would map the original graphics to the appropriate color profiles so that when played on a modern television they look as close to a period-accurate CRT. In reality the only way to make use of the wider gamut of the SWOLED display is to turn on Vivid mode. Sure, doing so is technically inaccurate, and may or may not reflect "artist intention" or "a more accurate experience" depending on the title and time period. But again, this all comes down to user preference. Literally nobody gave a poo poo about how you set your CRT dials in the 90s, so why the elitism over it now?

For what it's worth, the only two titles I've put significant time into on the SWOLED is Metroid Dread, for which Vivid mode seems appropriate and Nintendo would have you think this is the intended experience, and Bloodstained which is a total graphical mess to begin with and so doesn't necessarily look worse.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Volte posted:

I didn't mean Doom or Doom 64 was designed for it, but rather the Switch's library at large. Even if some games weren't originally "designed" with sRGB-accurate screens in mind, they were at least tested and approved on them, so mapping them to a wider colour gamut is going to change the dynamic range beyond the expectation of what the game would originally look like, for better or worse.
That's true, particularly with regard to handheld mode. Going forward though developers will be testing their games in Vivid mode to make sure they at least don't look terrible (which is precisely how this conversation started), and I'm sure Nintendo will be advertising certain first-party titles as looking particularly good init as they already did with Metroid.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Stux posted:

do you also turn on motion interpolation on a tv lol
If it could magically fix the frame jank in Switch games, yes, yes I would.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

HiKaizer posted:

I need to get an online subscription with the US region account I have because my Australia account can't play with friends in the US as Crystal Chronicles and Stardew Valley multiplayer is region locked for some reason.
I don't know about Stardew, but Crystal Chronicles is straight up a different version of the game between North America and Europe (which I assume includes AU/NZ). I don't think purchasing a different NSO sub matters here--you need to rebuy the game on the North American eShop. Splatoon is the same thing.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The SN30 Pro+/2 are great and all but you should all buy the M30 too.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Devorum posted:

God-loving-DAMMIT. I never noticed it before, and now it's distracting as hell.

*hurls Pro+ in the garbage*
What's funny is I knew the Pro+ buttons were off-center but it never quite clicked that the Pro 2 centered them. There's a few minor alterations to the design but that particular aspect didn't jump out at me.

I'm probably a 70/30 split on Pro+/Pro 2 usage and the Start/Select position being slightly different hasn't thrown off my muscle memory at all. In contrast, I can never find the +/- buttons on the Pro Controller because they're not where I expect them to be anymore.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Where's the M30?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah. For JRPGs I like to go physical since the whole thing is usually gonna be on disc or cartridge. But these Diamond/Pearl remakes are the first time I considered buying them digitally because of the day 1 patch.
You can wait until they do a "+ DLC" physical release for $90 in a year or whatever.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
PSA for those of you who have recently picked up an SN30 Pro 2:

Even if you don't plan on using the remapping feature, it's worth downloading the app and setting a profile that maps P1/P2 to Turbo and Hold, since there's no other way to access those features on the Switch. Assuming you like turbo buttons, but who doesn't?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
In past years NoE has done the end-of-November eShop sales a week before NoA's Black Friday sales.

I assume "Cyber Deals" intended to be thematically a Black Friday/Cyber Monday type thing, but is the latter really a thing in Europe what with Thanksgiving being a principally American holiday?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

b_d posted:

in the same pit as the atari ET cartridges, god willing
Really? That bad? I rather like it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Did Sonic Colors Ultimate get patched to something acceptable, or no?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nemesis_hub posted:

Does GameStop still do that thing where they for some reason open games and still sell them as “new”?
They sell games as "new" that don't even have cases.

A while back I bought the Resident Evil Triple Pack on sale for $40, which I think was the lowest it had been on sale at the time but it's been on sale for that pretty regularly since. Anyways, I bought it from GameStop online as "new" and when I received it, it came in one of their generic replacement cases. The thinking is that it was a gutted store copy and the case walked off while sitting on the shelf. I suppose it was "new" in that the cartridge hadn't been played and (more importantly) the RE5/RE6 eShop codes were still valid and I sold them on SA-Mart. But otherwise not new by any reasonable definition.

I won't purchase from GameStop online anymore. I've had good experiences with the stores themselves and you at least know what you're paying for.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
It sounds like the bearings have gone bad in the fan.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Oh it didn't rumble in the dock. What I mean is I picked it up handheld and the fan started loud and suddenly I did notice vibration on the joy-cons, but as I said it stopped. Normally I just played handheld but wanted to see the game in better resolution since I had the TV free.+

I guess I'll just try to see if it was just the processor cooling down or an actual problem, it's probably the first but I have serious paranoia and fatalism problems, my posts last summer when my Switch hard-shut down prove it (I just had to soft reset the console)
Again, it sounds like your fan had bad bearings.

The fan itself will turn on once the processor reaches a target temperature and turn off again when it cools below that. So your description of when the fan turns on is consistent with how the fan works, however how the fan works including loudness and vibration suggests the fan isn't working properly.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

teagone posted:

Did Nintendo stop manufacturing the joy con charging grip?
Probably. I bought the PowerA Joy-Con Charging Dock when it last went on sale for $15. It charges four joycons but you can't use it as a grip, which is fine because the joycon grip isn't very good anyways.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Blooster posted:

I refuse to buy anything on Amazon with those fake randomly generated corporation names. Pretty much guaranteed the company doesn't give a poo poo about their reputation when two months later they can just rename themselves to BLORKCON and RASNORT.
HDMI splitters (not the passive ones) are useful in that they tend to strip HDCP,.which has some good use cases. But products that do so violates HDMI licensing, so it's unsurprising they tend to get sold by fly-by-night outfits.

Otherwise, this is kind of the nature of Shenzhen gray-market electronics. They're not really based on brand or reputation, but recognizing a product as a specific clone model and looking up reports about them. Personally I tend to prefer to purchase branded products but occasionally there's things that just aren't made elsewhere at all. Fat joycons is apparently one of those things.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Shadski posted:

Pillars of eternity is on a pretty steep discount, heard it was a train wreck on release, is it playable now?
It's strictly more playable now than it was at release, but the developer and publisher of the port are both grossly incompetent and I wouldn't recommend it unless you have to play PoE and the Switch is the only way you can play it, and even then only on deep discount.

What's especially frustrating about PoE is that it's not immediately obvious that it's a bad port. At launch the game was "fine" aside from long load times, but the longer you played the more likely it was to crash or bug out, and some of the problems that would come up would persist in a save file.

PoE was patched a handful of times in its first year of release, but every time a new version came out they would inexplicably introduce new bugs that weren't there previously. About a year ago they released the "final" patch which was 10 GB in size because they recompressed all the assets to resolve some performance issues. That "final" patch broke the ranger companion--they simply wouldn't appear in the game--making the ranger class useless. They ended up patching that version with one that fixed the ranger, but inexplicably made all the character models white. So now there's a final-final-final patch that fixes that, but it's anyone's guess whether all the spells actually cast and stats actually work.

I bought the game on a 10% presale discount due to encouraging reviews. Wouldn't say that I'm satisfied.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Pretty much any of those adapters works though right? Like you could use the one that was sold for the Wii?
It has to use one of the ASIX AX8817x chips, which are pretty common. I believe the Wii adapter works but isn't gigabit.

I happened to have two compatible gigabit adapters lying around for use with laptops, and now I use one of them with the Genki dock.