Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I said come in! posted:

NSO N64 Online though isn't any better. The online just straight up doesn't work at all.

This is the most disappointing part.

I also read for online, you can online take 1 person online per system. Stinks you can't do 4 player Mario Kart with 4 players on 2 Switches. Really hope they fix a lot of the issues with future patches. Waiting to subscribe until I see how they approach updating the n64 app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Did someone alter this video or does this really happen on the emulator?
https://twitter.com/chiguinoki/status/1455693413886611464

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lastdancer posted:

100% happens on the emulator*

*When you have two people playing Ocarina of Time 2-player, for some reason? And the connection is completely trash

I also just saw this https://twitter.com/SouperJ64/status/1452839651387973639 and was really confused how something that bad could get released. I guess it makes more sense that somehow playing single player games online is causing this vs it was just released this badly.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I cant believe Wii U era virtual console had Earthbound Beginnings but the Switch SNES app doesn't have Earthbound.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The Bloop posted:

This is insanely untrue

I mean maybe in a single match but not over a couple hours of playing

Completely agree.

Also, some players are just better at reacting to whatever item is thrown at them. Being able to deal with that added level of craziness is a skill in Smash. Playing the game with no items has always felt lame.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

https://twitter.com/CentroLeaks/status/1457573490056384514?t=m6viTRaBn0RMMAUgthu9lA&s=19

What does the music being unfinished even mean? My guess would be that it doesn't loop properly?

My understanding is some of the music in the leaks is bad midi versions of what was in the trailers. I haven’t personally heard the music, just read people discussing it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Personally, the best games in the series are B2/W2, X/Y, HG/SS, and Sh/Sw with DLC. (not in order)

People will probably wildly disagree with X/Y or Sh/Sw being on the list having played the whole series those are the ones I liked the most. I love R/B for nostalgia purposes but couldn't put them there.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Go! was fun but I was not a fan of the way you catch Pokemon in it. I wish they had done a reverse G/S and let you explore Johto after doing Kanto.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Pungry posted:

I'm glad someone else agrees with me on that one. I like a lot of the personality and presentation that Charged added, but the game got too quick for me and was based around the lob mechanic that didn't feel fun. Regardless, I really hope we see something new from Next Level Games since it's been a few years since Luigi's Mansion 3.

I liked both Mario Strikers games and can’t believe they stopped making them. Some of the secondary characters in Charged were a little unfair. I think Toad could simply flip over the goalie if you timed it right.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

If you played online it was very common to run into teams of 3 toads that only tried to flip over the goalie. It was fun if you could pull it off but it wasn’t that OP because it almost always required a clean breakaway to work

I always liked to have one Dry Bones on my team for his charged shot. It always stunned the goalie and you could get an easy goal right after.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

dr.acula posted:

Why in the loving piss is there no new Mario Soccer game yet?

They should make another one but make it a Nintendo World Cup and invite characters from all titles.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Pungry posted:

Well... there was the soccer game in Mario Sports Superstars for 3DS. But it kinda sucked and tried to be closer to "real" soccer instead of the fun arcade soccer of Strikers. And more recently, there's the Goomba Soccer minigame on Mario Party Superstars, which also sucks. Basically, what I'm saying is to avoid any Mario game with "Superstar" in the title that has soccer in it--but absolutely pick up Mario Superstar Baseball. That game rules.

The Wii Mario Baseball, Super Sluggers was also awesome. The motion controls for it were a lot of fun. That got a decent amount of play in college.

edit:

Now that I think about it more, Nintendo has sucked at getting out good Mario Sports games since the Wii. And this is coming from someone that had a lot of fun with the Switch Mario Tennis.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

lmao at people getting mad over two versions of a Pokemon game in 2021. You don't need to buy both. Buying both really kind of goes against the social nature of the franchise anyway. Trading is a gameplay element.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

No. 1 ANIME HATER posted:

Swords are cooler than shields so you buy Sword

The loser friend / younger brother can play Shield with the mad catz controller

I got Shield specifically because it was the less popular one and figured that would make it slightly easier to trade for version exclusives.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Wonder when Nintendo is going to add more N64 games to the switch. I hope Wave Race is in the next group.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

I wouldn't expect monthly, or even regular, new games on the N64/Genesis games. We can maybe assume that most of the big first-party N64 games and probably most of the games in the Genesis Collections will eventually end up there, but will probably be saved for "slow" months where there aren't a whole lot of notable Switch releases going on otherwise, or maybe right at that point where most of the people who jumped on the bandwagon when Switch Online subs were first made available are up to re-sub as an incentive.

What a terrible strategy for a premium service.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Agent355 posted:

Never paid attention to consoles this generation but now I have a bit of money and need somethign to do on a couch.

Is there any important differences in the various versions of the switch if you're exclusively going to use it in tablet mode? I don't know anything help me

The Switch Lite can't connect to a tv and I think you can't remove the joy cons. If you want a Switch ASAP and it is the only one, go for it. If you can wait or see another model, go for another model because the joycons can have a drift issue and you don't want to have to send in your whole console to get half a controller fixed.

OLED is the best model overall.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

They're not free games, the service costs an extra $30 a year. Adding only one game after nearly two months of radio silence is a bad value. The original NSO Expansion trailer made it seem like they'd be dropping at least a few games in the next wave. The NES and SNES drops at least gave a few in their initial waves.

But what can I say? Only getting one game every few months is true to the original N64 experience.

Completely agree. Nintendo has really poo poo the bed with emulated games this generation. Let me buy them again. Nintendo Online's system apps would be cool if they were the complete first party libraries and I essentially got Nintendo Netflix. Instead they do dumb things like still leave Earthbound off the Switch.

Also, give us Wave Race 64 Nintendo.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

True, the emulation approach did change with the Wii U. The quality of the emulation dropped across the board for everything on that system. Something must have changed at Nintendo, that was a cursed time and console.

Wii U was a great Nintendo. It could play Wii, Wii U, NES, SNES, GBA, GB, and (modded) Gamecube games. I also got a bunch of free games from random promotions because the system sold poorly, so that was nice. RIP Club Nintendo and whatever the program was that gave discounts if you got the model with the bigger hd.

edit:

I think you might be able to play all Nintendo console/portable games if you have access to a Switch, 3DS, modded Wii U, and Virtual Boy.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 3, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Rutibex posted:

Cart lovers, do any of your physical games have a manual? I own a bunch of physical Switch games and none of them came with a manual. The slot in the box seems vestigial, rarely used for some advertising or a code card.

Except Rune Factory 4, the only switch game I have ever seen with a manual. Which is odd becasue it was a cheap game :shrug:

Binding of Isaac had one that looked like the NES Zelda manual.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

NEW Nintendo Switch OTHREAD: books suck, manuals rule.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

mandatory lesbian posted:

Are book sequels dlc?

book dlc is new forwards added to later editions.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

My two sons play a game of tag between Mario and Bowser Jr in Bowser's Fury where they go into this one specific coin basement.

Like it's just an empty square room and they will chase each other around forever playing tag. It's amazing.

Growing up, a few buddies and I would play tag on Wave Race 64. We'd just go backwards at the start of the race a little then start. It was really fun with huge waves.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I played like 500 less hours of Switch this year.

Animal Crossing really did come out at a good time to get people hooked.

Mega64 posted:

Phoenotopia is I think split between 2020 and 2021. Pokemon Unite I got a bit addicted for awhile before the game got stale for me. Picross is Picross.

Also my play time was a nearly-even two-to-one split in favor of Handheld (240h Handheld vs. 138h Docked)

I wish mine showed multiple games from last year.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Arc Hammer posted:

I've been going hard on the Fox in Space fan project and it has me itching to pull out my N64 and play Star Fox again. I played a handful of Dinosaur Planet back when it came out but that was the last game in the series I touched. Are any of the newer games worth checking out, like Assault or the remakes of 64?

Assault was the last new one I enjoyed but anytime it put you on foot wasn't great.

The 3DS remake of the N64 version was fun. Star Fox 64 is still the best in the series.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

there are no winners in mario party

Sounds like somebody never won

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

1 game a month??

and no Earthbound for SNES or NES ever again.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Any o' ya'll know if the Trials of Mana remake is any good?

I thought it was great. To me, the gameplay was a lot more fun than FF7R. I played those both back to back.

Also, Trials of Mana remake is way better than Banjo Kazooie. Guh-huh.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

What controllers can I use for four player Wario Ware?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I mean they did release a ton of DLC for it. On the Wii U in 2014 when it originally released lol. That's why the switch version is called the Deluxe edition.

and it is weird they didn't make dlc for the deluxe edition.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does Animal Crossing ever go on sale digitally? I never paid close attention to it during sales since I already have it but I was thinking of getting it for my girlfriend.

According to DekuDeals, it looks like it has never gone on sale digitally.
https://www.dekudeals.com/items/animal-crossing-new-horizons

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

If this direct gives us Wave Race 64 or Earthbound, I'll be happy.

I don't expect to be happy

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

what will topping will miyamoto be having on the baked potato?

The next Nintendo game will be based around bacon bits.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

That was one of the best directs of all time. I thought they were about to announce Mother 3 in English during the Earthbound section. lol. Glad Earthbound is finally on Switch. Pumped for Chrono Cross, New Kirby, Mario Kart courses, New Mario Strikers, and New Wii Sports.

What a great day.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

people always say poo poo like this but I bet its not the case

E: still remember the years of people saying earthbound could never be re-released for music rights and then it was rereleased with all the songs intact no?

Yeah, fans just made up that theory.

Also, Nintendo has stolen songs without issue in the past. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX5ef_KAZlY

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Are there any unreleased mostly finished games left from older Nintendo eras like Earthbound Beginnings or Star Fox 2?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Comrade Fakename posted:

MK8 tracks until the end of 2023 probably means no Switch 2 until 2024 at the earliest.

unless Super Switch is fully bc.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Rolo posted:

So far 2 of my friends have started Earthbound for the first time and I am extremely into that.

Everyone should play Earthbound on the VC since Nintendo can track those numbers.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

curried lamb of God posted:

Nintendo where is Wave Race (64 or a new game)

I've already started Earthbound - amazingly, this is the first time I've owned a system that could play it

If Wave Race is added soon, I don't know what I'll complain about not being on Switch VC. I guess Super Mario RPG.

Still shocked at how great yesterday's Direct was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Has anyone posted a list of all the courses from Mario Kart Tour yet? That is probably a list of all the dlc courses. If that is what they are going with for the dlc, I’ll be sad we don’t get GBA Bowser Castle 3 again.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 11, 2022