Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Other than the N64 emulator for NSO being extremely bad, Nintendo has absolutely been killing it with the Switch. The library of exclusives on this system are amazing and incredibly fun. Currently very excited for the Animal Crossing expansion, Shin Megami Tensei V, and then Splatoon 3. Metroid Dread is one of my top 5 favorite games of 2021 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Willo567 posted:

Is N64 emulation extremely bad, because most people on here say it's fine and serviceable

They are all intentionally ignoring the overwhelming examples and evidence that say otherwise lol. It's goons being goons. The emulator is in a really unacceptable state in its current form.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Postman posted:

Seems like you're confusing "perfect" with "perfectly serviceable". For the average user that wants to play N64 games on their Nintendo Switch... it does exactly that. They don't care about the extra frame or whatever the hell people are raging about on Youtube. There are plenty of things that could and should be better. That doesn't mean someone enjoying it is ignoring "overwhelming examples and evidence"... it just means they don't care and are having fun with it despite what some speedrunner's analysis says.

I never said anything about it needing to be perfect. But it's far from perfectly serviceable. People aren't arguing that it's serviceable, they are saying that there are literally no problems, and that just simply isn't true.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lastdancer posted:

I should probably add that while I think it's a tiny bit disingenuous to say we're just ignoring examples and evidence, like absolutely demand more from your products. Of course. Personally my standards fall more in the line of practicality and consistency rather than striving for 100% perfection and I assume this may well be the case for the others. I want to turn on the game and play it in this instance. I don't want to fiddle with settings. In terms of Online play this is probably even more of a deal, where you don't want to follow up "hey want to play some mario kart" with "ok do you have the right rom? no the other revision. Wait which version of the emulator are you using" and then half an hour of that just to get to the actual playing. We know it's not great but it works and it's serviceable for now. Patches and continued support would be nice!

NSO N64 Online though isn't any better. The online just straight up doesn't work at all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thunder Bear posted:

If you've literally never played an RPG before, it'd be remiss not to mention Chrono Trigger -- it's not on Switch, unfortunately, but it's an excellent option if you have a Nintendo DS lying around (or your phone, I guess). Chrono Trigger is the quintessential jRPG and I always recommend it to friends who've never played one; if they don't dig it, I tell them to skip the entire genre.

If it has to be on Switch, FFX has my vote, or FF9 if you want something a little more retro.

Ooh man, I don't know that I would tell someone to skip the entire genre altogether, but Chrono Trigger is absolutely a must play video game across the board.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lastdancer posted:

Square Enix should put Chrono Trigger on the switch

as a double pack

with Chrono Cross

Both of these games are extremely amazing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol this makes it sound like a 10/10 game. Perfect.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ogre Battle 64 is extremely good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's finally SMT season.

lmao people that review games are the worst.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Andrast posted:

and that's fine? there's a reason persona is much more popular than smt

mostly thing seems like people trying to dunk on reviewers for having pretty reasonable opinions

They are not reasonable opinions though lol. It's a super lazy poor critique.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Andrast posted:

yeah how dare they prefer some other thing to a slightly different thing

This but unironically lmao. It's literally a terrible writing style that needs to go away. It's a sign of someone who doesn't know what they are talking about and is in the wrong field of work.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Also, who do I have to bribe to make a HD release of Devil Summoner 2 happen?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

whaley posted:

persona isnt similar enough to digital devil saga. 1 out of 5

Digital Devil Saga is so loving amazing. It is criminal that hasn’t been remastered yet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

cum jabbar posted:

I've played Final Fantasy 1, 2, and 3 and none of them were very good. Tactics is superb, though

Its not until Super Nintendo that Final Fantasy really starts to find its footing and turns into the mega super popular franchise that it is today. The first three games were limited by the NES and it shows even in their remakes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thankfully the Switch isnt powerful enough for FF14. It would be a poor choice to play it on. I could see myself wanting that too. Final Fantasy 11 on the other hand. That would be dangerous for me, I love that game way more than FF14.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Hey has there been any confirmation on what will be on the GTA Trilogy cart?

I am guessing three GTA games? :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

I'll be the cynical goon in the thread and claim at least one of the games will require downloading, and may even be on a one use code to do so.

Actually I think youre probably dead on right about this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CT is the best game in all genres that exist.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SMTV is out this week. :woop:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is the greatest work of art of the last few centuries.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

KingSlime posted:

Just got back from my friend's show and I can't play my stupid new monster catching RPG

Atlus you ASSHOLES why are you doing this to me? Fascist fucks

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Playing through SMTV having never played an SMT or Persona in my life before. I hosed around for ages before getting to the first boss and it still felt super overtuned, but hey I beat it on my second attempt so maybe that's just how bosses are.

Then I lost an hour of progress getting ganked by a trash encounter right as I was about to touch a save point. It's been a while since I've played a game without generous checkpointing.

game cool so far

If you get to a frustrating part or just want to grind too, there is a Safety difficulty option you can download for free from the eshop.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol this basically does nothing to fix any of the problems with the Switch, and introduces a dozen different issues with usability.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I dont like BOTW but it makes me excited for BOTW2 because it's in the category of stuff that would be perfect if they expanded and refined the correct things

If they get rid of the dura*someone steps out of the shadows and kills me before I can finish*

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zurtilik posted:

SMT V feels like it's pretty juttery for the parts I've played so far. Did I get too used to my XBOXs constant 60?

It's doing it even docked.

It doesn't get any better, the performance is just terrible across the board. Game releases for PC next year.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I only watch small Twitch streamers who play a variety of games. Usually retro games. They play one title at a time, and have a small community, usually less than 100 viewers. Everyone knows one another and talks among themselves and with the person streaming. it's very chill and cool. The big time streamers / content creators, are all insufferable and annoying. They are just corporate shills that are there to advertise to you more often then not.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I prefer how Steam does it, it makes the entire thing transparent and out in the open. You can't get this sort of breakdown of all of the DLC and micro-transactions on a game on any other platform.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looper posted:

nice water

lmao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How is PGA2k21 on Switch? The PS5 version requires an always active internet connection to play, and when I tried it because it was free with PS+, the servers kept going down during play, disabling all game modes, and causing the game to get stuck in forever loading screens.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Libluini posted:

Holy poo poo, if this game made you stop playing Switch that hard, it must be the worst game ever made. Is it really so bad that you couldn't stand touching your Switch anymore?

Strive is only on PlayStation and PC.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Saints Row 4 is basically free on the eShop.

No reason not to get it.

$2.75, purchased!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Only get it if you’re going to play it, buying a game because it’s cheap when it’s just going to sit in a backlog is reckless. I learned that lesson the hard way through Steam sales, I still have dozens of games on Steam that I haven’t played yet. Including Saints Row 4 that I bought like 5 years ago :shepspends:

It ended up being free for me with gold coins!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ChocNitty posted:

Taking forever to download my new game. Nintendos servers must be slammed by the million new switch owners downloading games too.

Switch Online was completely down earlier this morning, so this is a slight improvement! But yeah, just tons and tons of new people got Switches for Christmas, while the bots got PlayStation 5s to sell on Ebay. :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Had a chance to watch the new Kirby trailer, and whoa! This game looks extremely good. Like its shot to the top of my most hyped games of 2022 list. It looks and reminds me so much of Mario Odyssey, which is my favorite Mario game ever. So I am really hyped for this now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

When will Kirby die at the hand of sephiroth?

Kirby is a literal god. He can't be killed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

KaptainKrunk posted:

Are new paper Mario, pokemon snap, and the Mario sports games actually bad or are people just hyperbolic babies

Origami King really is a terrible game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sending my N64 off to a goon today who will hopefully be able to repair it. :( RIP September 29, 1996 - January 28, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Fire Emblem Three Houses this weekend. :hai:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I hate Xenoblade 2 with a passion, it is truly a god awful game, but then I love Xenoblade 1, and X to death. They are two of my favorite JRPGs ever. So I am extremely conflicted about XC3. I just hope it plays more like XC1. If it has the gacha mechanics in it, then i'll probably just not bother with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I bought Super Mario 3D World just now. I have it on the Wii U as well but never actually played it, and at this point would prefer to play it on the Switch.