Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ibblebibble posted:

Just fyi, the link to the XIV spoiler thread is broken in the OP.

Fixed; thank you, now everyone can finally check out the thread where we decide which of my husbands/wifes is the most attractive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The best XIV husbando/waifu is my husbando/waifu. The worst is your husbando/waifu.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

HD DAD posted:

Wasn’t there a jrpg where an entire sidequest just…wasn’t translated? I’d say that’s the worst translation job.

I know Persona 1 had an entire 'sidequest' (read: entire second plotline for the game) that was cut from the first English release.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 22, 2021

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

On the other hand, wasn’t the English release of FF7 also the first version that had those kind of really important scenes that explained Zack and Cloud’s relationship and Zack’s fate?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, I agree. The SA reference in the GBA/DS FF4 localizations is hardly the most egregious example you could find. It reads like fairly normal speech if you don't know it's a reference, unlike the aforementioned Lunar jokes or the doge reference in Tri Force Heroes.

The ultimate ninja reference, however, aged really poorly and sucked even for the time.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Final Fantasy VIII is good

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If every final fantasy is the best final fantasy, them every final fantasy must also be the worst final fantasy

makes u think

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

u forgot 7R

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FF7R is bad, because people turn the camera around after opening treasure chests. That's what a YouTubesman told me.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

were battle academy animes popular before ff8? or was that a post-harry potter thing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

jokes posted:

no, i am going to kill chaos

pics or it didn't happen

https://twitter.com/cleargatewest/status/1444117531631898633

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I'm here to kill Chaos and chew bubblegum, and I'm all outta bubblegum.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

OhFunny posted:

"Bullshit," I say as I pull out my dphone and blast Limp Bizkit.

I am going to kill chaos while blasting limp bizkit

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ironic listening to limp Bizkit is still listening to limp bizkit

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Eminent Domain posted:

I am going to kill chaos while blasting limp bizkit

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Limp Bizkit released a new, listenable single about being ancient dad rap now and we get a game living the LB lifestyle so really everything is coming up backwards hat wearing dads

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Listenable and limp Bizkit do not belong in the same sentence

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It is 1997. I am listening to the new Limp Bizkit album and awaiting the release of Final Fantasy VII.

It is 1999. I am listening to the new Limp Bizkit album and awaiting the release of Final Fantasy VIII.

It is 2005. I am listening to the new Limp Bizkit album and awaiting the release of Final Fantasy XII.

It is 2021. I am listening to the new Limp Bizkit album and awaiting the release of Final Fantasy I.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I hope Jack's dphone is a selectable item for like the menu in game and that I can switch on music to play from it. I'll be blasting at fun volume as I RP walk towards bosses.

You know; for immersion.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jack's Dphone had goddamn better have nu-metal, rap rock, and butt rock covers of FF1 music

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

OhFunny posted:

I hope Jack's dphone is a selectable item for like the menu in game and that I can switch on music to play from it. I'll be blasting at fun volume as I RP walk towards bosses.

You know; for immersion.

Have it do the MGSV thing where you can have the music playing on speakers to alert nearby enemies.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
We should be able to use our own music. There is no reason games should prevent that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Final Fantasy XII story stuff that I'm trying to refresh my memory on.

For some reason it never occurred to me to question why the statue containing the Dusk Shard in the palace at Rabanastre opens up automatically to reveal the stone to Vaan. Combined with Vaan also seeing the visions of Rasler that the Occuria show to Ashe, is it meant to be implied that he might also be descended from Raithwall?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Just out or curiosity, anyone prefer the original translation of FFT? The new translation was fine, but the original felt more natural (if that makes sense).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No because the original translation might have a couple of cool sounding lines but it's also a bad transition that barely makes any sense half of the time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I like them about equally, weirdly enough. I think the WotL translation has some great lines, but the retranslated names are often way overwrought, and so are some moments of dialogue. On the other hand, the original is often nonsense, but it does still have the line "Blame yourself or God!" and it has the cool spellcasting quotes, so they both have their charms.

It's possible I'm warmer towards the original translation than I otherwise would be because I've played it enough times since I was a kid that I can decipher what it's trying to say. Without that history I'd probably be a lot less generous to it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

Just out or curiosity, anyone prefer the original translation of FFT? The new translation was fine, but the original felt more natural (if that makes sense).

Both are kinda jank from what I’ve seen/remembered, the original has that classic PSX-era “why the does a text heavy game need a dedicated translator, just have a bug fixer do it” jank and WotL is trying too hard to be flowery instead of just getting Alexander O Smith to just do it like XII.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Harrow posted:

For some reason it never occurred to me to question why the statue containing the Dusk Shard in the palace at Rabanastre opens up automatically to reveal the stone to Vaan. Combined with Vaan also seeing the visions of Rasler that the Occuria show to Ashe, is it meant to be implied that he might also be descended from Raithwall?

On one hand, based purely on how historical conqueror steppe nomads tend to go its probably easier to identify who isn't related to Raithwall. The point of that scene is different though the full context isn't clear until later when Vaan puts it together. The occuria are just looking for someone who will use the shards to do terrible things to put history in motion the way the Occuria want. At that point both Vaan and Ashe are viable candidates. Soon, when Vaan rejects his revenge quest they'll stop appearing to him and he'll discuss that with Ashe at the Steppe village which is like, the single most important plot scene in the game and why Vaan is not just replaceable in the story like people claim

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
That OP was the best/worst OP.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Last Celebration posted:

Both are kinda jank from what I’ve seen/remembered, the original has that classic PSX-era “why the does a text heavy game need a dedicated translator, just have a bug fixer do it” jank and WotL is trying too hard to be flowery instead of just getting Alexander O Smith to just do it like XII.

The WOTL translation was a touch too flowery for me as well :smith:.

Sakurazuka posted:

No because the original translation might have a couple of cool sounding lines but it's also a bad transition that barely makes any sense half of the time.

While I don't disagree, I think it was pretty okish to understand :unsmith:.

Harrow posted:

I think I like them about equally, weirdly enough. I think the WotL translation has some great lines, but the retranslated names are often way overwrought, and so are some moments of dialogue. On the other hand, the original is often nonsense, but it does still have the line "Blame yourself or God!" and it has the cool spellcasting quotes, so they both have their charms.

It's possible I'm warmer towards the original translation than I otherwise would be because I've played it enough times since I was a kid that I can decipher what it's trying to say. Without that history I'd probably be a lot less generous to it.

Rose tinted glasses can do that. I think that is also why I am more favorable to to the original.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barudak posted:

On one hand, based purely on how historical conqueror steppe nomads tend to go its probably easier to identify who isn't related to Raithwall. The point of that scene is different though the full context isn't clear until later when Vaan puts it together. The occuria are just looking for someone who will use the shards to do terrible things to put history in motion the way the Occuria want. At that point both Vaan and Ashe are viable candidates. Soon, when Vaan rejects his revenge quest they'll stop appearing to him and he'll discuss that with Ashe at the Steppe village which is like, the single most important plot scene in the game and why Vaan is not just replaceable in the story like people claim

Ah, right right, it's been a while since I've played far enough to get to the latter parts of that. That makes sense. They're just looking for someone who wants revenge against the Empire, and anyone revenge-obsessed would do. Vaan's just in the right place, at the right time, and with the right mindset for them. But he grows past it much earlier than Ashe does.

Side note, I just got to Bur-Omisace in my Struggle for Freedom playthrough and it's still pretty fun, so seconding the recommendation in the OP to try it out if anyone here has the PC version.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 4, 2021

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Harrow posted:

I have no idea on that first one.

As for the second. When Vaan and Ashe speak alone on the bridge. Vaan seems a little uncertain at who it is he saw. He seems to think it was Reks. We know we saw Prince Rasler, but it could be the players are only seeing things from Ashe's viewpoint. The Occuria mayhap noticed Vaan's desire for revenge over the loss of a loved one as well and reached out. Maybe just having the same motivation and feelings as Ashe at the time was enough to be affected by the spell that was weaved.

Notably after Vaan relinquishes his desire for revenge in that same conversation he can no longer see the apparition.

Edit: Beat. Why must I type so slowly?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF12(tactics?) Occuria are a loving dope and cool premise. Are they Space aliens, gods? doesn’t matter they’re assholes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

By the time of Tactics the Occuria are gone. So is most of the magick and just about all of the magitech, too, with the exception of the occasional rare firearm. Even moogles are extinct in Tactics (there are a lot of lore items you can find and one of them talks about moogles as an extinct species). The Ivalice of FFT is very much a "dark age" type setting, with the wonders of the past lost and the future uncertain.

IIRC Square has been very inconsistent on whether FFXII's Ivalice and Tactics's Ivalice are the same universe at all, incidentally. And that's not even counting whether Vagrant Story is in the Ivalice universe, something that Matsuno himself has gone back and forth on. I think the implication is that FFXII's Ivalice is far in the past of the one in Tactics, but there have been later implications that they're separate universes like the other FF games. Then again, maybe that's just Dissidia canon. Then again, it's not like there's any other source.

So I guess the Ivalice timeline is whatever you feel in your heart.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There’s a fuckload of references in FFT to a bunch of wacko poo poo buried in the tavern missions/rumors poo poo. Like the crystal tower from FF3.

I choose to believe it’s the same Ivalice and FFTA2 also happens in the same Ivalice.

One must imagine myself happy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FFTA and FFTA2 are kind of hilarious because they both feature a magic book taking kids to Ivalice, but one of them does it by manifesting a dreamworld, and the other one does it through actual apparent time travel. I remember FFTA making some people think that the Ivalice of Tactics and XII was only a storybook world in the first place, which was never the intention.

I bounced off FFTA2, unfortunately, even though I liked FFTA. Something about the way the equipment unlocking system worked with monster drops just got annoying to me so I couldn't really get into it.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
FFT > 6 > 10 > 4 > 5 > 7 > 13 > MQ > 1 > 9 > FFTA > 2. Thanks for stopping by.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I may be in the minority, but Giruvegan through the Great Crystal is one of my favorite sequences in the entire series. And yes, I unironically love the “lol gently caress you” map of the crystal the game gives you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

welcome posted:

FFT > 6 > 10 > 4 > 5 > 7 > 13 > MQ > 1 > 9 > FFTA > 2. Thanks for stopping by.

My friend

My friend

Have you seen the op wherein the authoritative and correct rankings have been posted?

My friend, you must not dishonor yourself so