Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Made a big collage of NPCs from FF12 over the weekend. Putting in spoilers because the final boss is on it. Biggest codpiece variety in gaming?

https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1456259233612124162?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

The WOTL translation was a touch too flowery for me as well :smith:.

If nothing else, the new translation deserves props for organically putting a “spoony bard” reference in the game. I don’t think the guy was up his own rear end if he did that, he just tried emulating a style he want overly familiar with.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Final Fantasy IX is the best mainline series FF game.

Final Fantasy Tactics is not only the best Final Fantasy overall, but also in the top 10 greatest games of all time.

Oh, and Final Fantasy XIV is the best FF MMO.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

limp bizkit rocks

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

IX is fine the combat was poo poo and it was outdone in every way by FFX except that FFX didn’t have as storybook/cartoonish of an aesthetic and didn’t have Vivi. I understand why people like it but it is not objectively the best non-MMO Final Fantasy.

The best non-MMO FF is FFV.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
FFX doesn’t have a game-spanning scavenger hunt minigame though? I feel like id probably have replayed it by now if it did…

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Last Celebration posted:

FFX doesn’t have a game-spanning scavenger hunt minigame though? I feel like id probably have replayed it by now if it did…

It’s called al bhed primers

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

It does, it just makes it a huge pain in the rear end to participate in if you miss it.

FFIX may be just as good as all other final fantasies but chocobo hot and cold leaves me without the hot

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

jokes posted:

The best non-MMO FF is FFVI.

Fixed that for you. If it weren't for the four job fiesta, Five would be remembered as that one on the anthologies collection no one wanted to play.

Sure the job system is fun, but gotdamn if I'm not just mashing A thru every single story sequence. The best FFV4JF mod would be the one that removed all dialogue and scenes and just let you roguelike thru the game.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Grevlek posted:

Fixed that for you. If it weren't for the four job fiesta, Five would be remembered as that one on the anthologies collection no one wanted to play.

Sure the job system is fun, but gotdamn if I'm not just mashing A thru every single story sequence. The best FFV4JF mod would be the one that removed all dialogue and scenes and just let you roguelike thru the game.

All ff story sequences are bad and deserve to be mashed through, that's why 5 is the best

Barudak
May 7, 2007

pretty soft girl posted:

All ff story sequences are bad and deserve to be mashed through, that's why 5 is the best

Stone Blizaga Facts

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, and it doesn't have the best FF minigame: Jump Rope

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Beat Voice of Cards. It’s pretty Yoko Taro. Near enough, maybe not worth $40. Could definitely see this being another series added to Square Enix’s stable

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Barudak posted:

Jack's Dphone had goddamn better have nu-metal, rap rock, and butt rock covers of FF1 music

The game's first DLC will be a storage expansion for Jack's phone and various FF OSTs.

Jack: I'm going... to kill Chaos
*taps phone, FFMQ boss music begins playing*

Sakurazuka posted:

No because the original translation might have a couple of cool sounding lines but it's also a bad transition that barely makes any sense half of the time.

Whereas WotL sounded like the local community theater club trying way too hard to ape Shakespeare.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Just think about it, what mainline Final Fantasy has the best of the following:

Setting: Gaia
Main Characters: Steiner, Vivi, Quina
Side Characters: Baku, Puck, Doctor Tot
Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW3QK6CTg2g
Minigames: Chocobo Hot and Cold, Tetra Master
Bosses: Ozma, Ark, Black Waltz Trio

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Whereas WotL sounded like the local community theater club trying way too hard to ape Shakespeare.

Still better than a translation that's straight up wrong and bad

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WotL feels like someone else was trying to do what Alexander O. Smith did with Vagrant Story, FFXII, and Tactics Ogre: LUCT but swinging too hard and ending up with something overwrought and not as successful.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 4, 2021

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

“blame yourself or god” sounds like hes making a snappy one liner while “its your birth and faith that wrong you, not i” sounds like hes sympathizing with her so even that line is better in the remake

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Final fantasy is good all of tyem imo

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

Just think about it, what mainline Final Fantasy has the best of the following:

Setting: Gaia
Main Characters: Steiner, Vivi, Quina
Side Characters: Baku, Puck, Doctor Tot
Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW3QK6CTg2g
Minigames: Chocobo Hot and Cold, Tetra Master
Bosses: Ozma, Ark, Black Waltz Trio

You're sabotaging your argument by bringing up Gaia and Tretra Master. It's like me trying to push my case for FFX being the best FF and pointing to lightning dodging as an example of why.

Your other points are pretty strong, though. Music is a really tough one for me.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

jokes posted:

One of the first things worth mentioning about this title, is that it is the first ever "Direct Sequel" in the main series (the next would be FF13-2, critically panned and frankly just not a good game)

Why ya gotta make me regret my choices like this. You're terribly wrong on both counts.

XIII-2's metacritic score is 79/100 which I don't think meets any definition of "panned by critics." Also notable is that this is much higher than LR's rating which is 66/100. I still remember when XIII-2 first came out and the heaps of praise it got for fixing XIII's many, many problems.

Definitely an awesome game, one of the best in the series, and absolutely as deserving of a proper spot in the OP as certain other, much worse sequels.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
XIII-2 contains Academia 400AF and therefore I must give it the lowest possible score a Final Fantasy game can get: "wait for sale"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Super No Vacancy posted:

limp bizkit rocks

source your quotes

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

NikkolasKing posted:

Why ya gotta make me regret my choices like this. You're terribly wrong on both counts.

XIII-2's metacritic score is 79/100 which I don't think meets any definition of "panned by critics." Also notable is that this is much higher than LR's rating which is 66/100. I still remember when XIII-2 first came out and the heaps of praise it got for fixing XIII's many, many problems.

Definitely an awesome game, one of the best in the series, and absolutely as deserving of a proper spot in the OP as certain other, much worse sequels.

I’m the critics and I hated it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

XIII-2's metacritic score is 79/100 which I don't think meets any definition of "panned by critics." Also notable is that this is much higher than LR's rating which is 66/100.

what the hell? game critics are fail

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder how Lightning Returns would've reviewed in an alternate universe where it wasn't attached to FFXIII in any way because it is v good

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I really think LR’s specious connection to FFXIII is because of that one dude who was in love with his creation, Lightning, and wanted to dress her up.

LR is a good game

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

cuntman.net posted:

“blame yourself or god” sounds like hes making a snappy one liner while “its your birth and faith that wrong you, not i” sounds like hes sympathizing with her so even that line is better in the remake

Of course Delita was going for a snappy one-liner. If you think he didn't pull out his phone and start blasting some buttrock after saying that line, you're just wrong.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
i personally respect delita for his fighting ability

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

dracula vladdy AF posted:

i personally respect delita for his fighting ability
his hair and armor for me

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Been playing X-2 and it's amazing. It's got a system using the airship map UI where you can capture enemies and use them in your party, replacing party members based on the size of the enemy. My first try I captured a huge fuckin' dragon on Besaid and replaced my whole party with it through the second area.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I suspect that Delita is not meant to be read as sympathizing with Agrias, or any member or employ of a royal family.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
FFT feels very melancholy to me. Something about the sounds, the muted colors, the relatively subdued music for the random battles, it's always raining, the deaths are more intense because it's always stabs to the gut and stuff.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The original japanese line is "Sorry. If you're going to bear a grudge, take it up with yourself or God."

It's one of the only cases where something in FFT's original translation actually resembles the intent, though it's not nearly as terse as they made it sound in English.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

NikkolasKing posted:

You're sabotaging your argument by bringing up Gaia and Tretra Master. It's like me trying to push my case for FFX being the best FF and pointing to lightning dodging as an example of why.

Your other points are pretty strong, though. Music is a really tough one for me.

Tetra Master was a joke of course, but Gaia? It is easily the best setting in a Final Fantasy. Lindblum, Cleyra, Village of Dali, Lifa Tree, and Burmecia? Come on....

The entire mist concept and the creatures it creates is really cool.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone who doesn't think treno is the dopest poo poo can get out.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

Anyone who doesn't think treno is the dopest poo poo can get out.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

Tetra Master was a joke of course, but Gaia? It is easily the best setting in a Final Fantasy. Lindblum, Cleyra, Village of Dali, Lifa Tree, and Burmecia? Come on....

The entire mist concept and the creatures it creates is really cool.

My problem with Gaia is how barren and empty it is outside of the Mist Continent. The Iifa Tree has good atmosphere, and so does Oeilvert and Ipsen's Castle, but there is basically no life anywhere outside of the Mist Continent, just dungeons. It was a common complaint I have with FFVIII. This huge world and everything is crammed onto one continent for the most part.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Blockhouse posted:

The original japanese line is "Sorry. If you're going to bear a grudge, take it up with yourself or God."

I still flip back and forth on this line compared to the PSP translation. The PS1 line does sound more like Delita in my head.

PS1: Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God.
PSP: 'Tis your birth and faith that wrong you, not I.

There are some lines in the PSP translation that just sound like they went to far, but there are solid improvements as well.

"You think to save a princess from a burning tower. In truth, you would but set her on a higher floor. There is only one person who can truly save her. And that is what I mean to do. "

"All of them swept up in a mighty current, a current they cannot see or feel... I simply swim against it. Nothing more."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

source your quotes

limp bizkit rocks -me, right now