Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
That got me thinking: how many FF games have at least one boss that can be instantly killed by Life or a Phoenix Down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

That got me thinking: how many FF games have at least one boss that can be instantly killed by Life or a Phoenix Down?

I think pretty much every game that uses Undead = Healing Damage will allow a Life, Phoenix Down or Elixir (or some combo of the three) to give you an instant win.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Gaius Marius posted:

:words: about FF7 mods, AI upscaling, artistic translation.

Y'know what, I have a take on this that in the same vein, but to a different point.

The other day, when I was playing FF7, I was in one of the room in the Shinra building, and there was machinery that had a row of blinking lights on it, and how I assume it was done was that they rendered the background, then atop of that, they had a layer of simple color pixels that alternated to give the impression of blinking lights on a console.

Reading this post, it occurred to me that if you upscale the backgrounds in FF7, how does it affect the look of those blinking lights? I'm playing the PC version, on a 1080p monitor, and displayed at that resolution, you can see a lot of pixelation, but as result, things like those blinking lights blend in pretty well.

A while ago, I was in another thread talking about art styles in games and pixel art, and one of the things that I remembered later that I wish I had brought up was CRT monitors. It's been discussed that pixel art looks better on CRTs because while the image is blurrier than a CRT, with sprite art, it can yield a result that looks better in terms of blending. Also remember that developers also probably used CRTs primarily when crafting the graphics for a game. (It's possible they had access to LCD monitors in the late '90s though; I forget when exactly they started becoming common.)

https://www.deviantart.com/cyangmou/art/Pixel-Gameart-101-03-687562619

Now obviously, FF7 doesn't use pixel art (well, it does, but for more minor elements like the UI and such), but it occurred to me that a lot of the pixelation is probably not as noticeable or not visible if you were playing on a CRT.

Interestingly, when trying to find an example of sprite art, I found this article on the topic, which uses screens from FF7.

The colors of the CRT screen are off, I'm guessing because it's the results of a photo of the screen, but from a glance, the glow from the light sources pop out more, the wood panels looks cleaner, and shadows are more pronounced.

Here's a video talking about the PS1's graphics capabilities in relation to dithering. I haven't tried playing the PS1 version of FF7, but my assumption is that when it loads up different game engines, it maybe shoots for higher resolution and more colors when displaying the field backgrounds, but when you enter a battle, it switches to a lower resolution with dithering. If there was dithering, then I imagine it would have been absent from the original PC port.

Another thing I also thought about the game being in 'HD' wasn't in regards to pixel resolution, but aspect ratio. With areas that scroll horizontally, you could possibly hack it so that it fills the whole screen and have it look okay. However, other areas only scroll vertically, or in both directions, it seems like the only solution would be to zoom in. However, when you consider how certain scenes play out, that would result in characters being off screen without specifically repositioning the screen to them (which I imagine is something that you can't change without going making a massive overhaul). There are also some screens that have no scrolling, so you wouldn't be able to expand them out to 16:9 or higher without having access to the original renders.

There's more I want to get into (regarding things like mods, technology, and artstyles between the original and the remake), upscaling FF7 or the like isn't "fradulent", but from a certain lens, it's less 'improving' the art, and moreso converting it to be morein line with style and capabilites of modern tech.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 3, 2022

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

I think pretty much every game that uses Undead = Healing Damage will allow a Life, Phoenix Down or Elixir (or some combo of the three) to give you an instant win.

Yeah I know but I was specifically talking about bosses. I don't think you can instant kill Lich in any version of FF1 with Life or PD but I know there are bosses in 6, 7, 9, 10, and maybe 12 where you can do that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah I know but I was specifically talking about bosses. I don't think you can instant kill Lich in any version of FF1 with Life or PD but I know there are bosses in 6, 7, 9, 10, and maybe 12 where you can do that?

8 has one too, you can wreck the Resident Evil version of the President with it IIRC.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Its a 2hko in ffx for some reason. The Phoenix down doesn't instant kill, it just hits for the damage cap

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I can definitely confirm the 1 hit KO in 9. I don't remember if the zombie dragon thing in 12 is 1HKO. The undead water boss in FFX takes two, yeah.

IX: Aaaay my boy Alexander just showed up. He's the castle in Alexandria, natch, and he just Calamity'ed Bahamut

EDIT: Until I know this bad guy's name, I am calling him Darth Ramuh

EDIT EDIT: Oh it's Garland. No relation to Cid nan Garlond, I assume

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 3, 2022

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Jack is back.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Elephant Ambush posted:

Most bosses in FF are usually immune to instant death spells and effects, so you can't just instant kill them with a Phoenix Down (though of course, being immune to instant death doesn't prevent them from being healed if you're dumb enough to cast Death on them!).

FFV has a single undead boss that can be instantly killed with a Phoenix Down (or an Elixir), Tyrannosaur in the waterway after you find the moogle. Funny enough, the Elixir is just a flat out instant kill (because it's a full heal to non undead, so it just sets the boss's HP to 0), but the Phoenix Down can be avoided. That's because the Phoenix Down is basically a spell effect, which makes it subject to Tyrannosaur's 20 Magic Evade stat. Last Fiesta I did the fucker dodged two Phoenix Downs!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm about 15 hours in and I feel like I'm way more than half way through the game. Most sites said the main story is about 40 hours to beat. Is it really back loaded or am I just blazing through it?

RIP My Boy Alexander, blown up with a space laser

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

A while ago, I was in another thread talking about art styles in games and pixel art, and one of the things that I remembered later that I wish I had brought up was CRT monitors. It's been discussed that pixel art looks better on CRTs because while the image is blurrier than a CRT, with sprite art, it can yield a result that looks better in terms of blending. Also remember that developers also probably used CRTs primarily when crafting the graphics for a game. (It's possible they had access to LCD monitors in the late '90s though; I forget when exactly they started becoming common.)

To this point I’ve been wondering if the way to go isn’t emulating VII/VIII/IX on a PC and playing it on a nicer, later, higher-resolution CRT monitor. Although I think the best CRTs of the era go for a fairly high price these days, so I wonder if there’s really much improvement to running them on one of those instead of some old 1024 Dell.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Twelve by Pies posted:

FFV has a single undead boss that can be instantly killed with a Phoenix Down (or an Elixir), Tyrannosaur in the waterway after you find the moogle. Funny enough, the Elixir is just a flat out instant kill (because it's a full heal to non undead, so it just sets the boss's HP to 0), but the Phoenix Down can be avoided. That's because the Phoenix Down is basically a spell effect, which makes it subject to Tyrannosaur's 20 Magic Evade stat. Last Fiesta I did the fucker dodged two Phoenix Downs!

FFV has the heavy tag that makes stuff immune to instant death or instant anti-undeath. Tyrannosaur isn't heavy for reasons.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

I'm about 15 hours in and I feel like I'm way more than half way through the game. Most sites said the main story is about 40 hours to beat. Is it really back loaded or am I just blazing through it?

RIP My Boy Alexander, blown up with a space laser

How much side stuff are you doing? If you’re just beelining to story points and not doing stuff like Stellazos you’re probably gonna blitz through. If you have been doing that, Disk 3 is when Chocobo Hot and Cold in particular opens up. Also if you’re fast-forwarding through fights, idk if that affects the ingame timer.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

V has the skeleton dinosaur everyone kills with a phoenix down instead of fighting fairly. It does play boss music when you fight it, so.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

How much side stuff are you doing? If you’re just beelining to story points and not doing stuff like Stellazos you’re probably gonna blitz through. If you have been doing that, Disk 3 is when Chocobo Hot and Cold in particular opens up. Also if you’re fast-forwarding through fights, idk if that affects the ingame timer.

Yeah I haven't been doing any side content like at all. The occasional card game, that's about it. I'm not using fast forward or any kind of "cheat" modes. I try to avoid that unless I really need to do it (X's Always Overdrive and XII's turbo mode spring to mind). I know IX is crammed full of side content and stuff off the beaten path, but I'm not bothering until I do a second play through.

I think IX's my favorite single-player FF game so far, so it might be the one I do a more in depth second playthrough before any of the others. We'll see how VIII and onward (or backward, I guess) hit me

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, Chocobo Hot and Cold is one of the longer, more in-depth side quests of any JRPG I’ve played, it spans nearly the entire world map so you’re definitely gonna be off in your play time if you don’t engage at all with it beyond at least entering Chocobo’s Forest once for chocobo overworld traversal access.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I never even entered Chocobo's Forest :laffo:

There was the scene with the telescope and then the main story never sent me there so I never went

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Some real good loot in there but yeah there's a bunch of it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mustached Demon posted:

FFV has the heavy tag that makes stuff immune to instant death or instant anti-undeath.

...unless you're in the know.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I've been spending most my life, searching for that chocobo's paradise

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FrostyPox posted:

There was the scene with the telescope and then the main story never sent me there so I never went

I would very, very much recommend dropping by soon, without getting too into plot spoilers there’s gonna be a stretch where you have to hoof it a long while on foot on a new chunk of the overworld and having a mount that eliminates random encounters is nice for that.

…though I guess if you’re playing the most readily available version you can turn off random encounters anyway :v:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mustached Demon posted:

FFV has the heavy tag that makes stuff immune to instant death or instant anti-undeath. Tyrannosaur isn't heavy for reasons.

This isn't entirely true. Heavy grants resistance to some instant death effects but isn't a flat resistance to instant death entirely. Most bosses just also have explicit death immunity as well. From a quick look, the things Heavy makes you immune to are Banish, two of the !Gaia instant death spells, Doom, !Iainuki, and Odin, as well as the instant kill from level 3 Spellblades on element weak enemies. Heavy does not actually protect enemies from the Black magic spell Death, Death Potion from Chemist, one of the !Gaia instant death spells, Roulette, or procs from Killer Bow/Assassin's Dagger/Death Sickle. Again, it's just that most Heavy enemies also have Instant Death immunity.

Though, Heavy does just flat out grant instant death immunity to undead enemies. :v:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

There's also math but that's using the power of math.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FrostyPox posted:

Yeah seconding to definitely swing by Chocobo's Forest. There's no obligation to do Chocobo Hot & Cold but you'll get to meet a good buddy who'll help a lot with getting around the overworld map, and it won't really take any time.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

SMERSH Mouth posted:

To this point I’ve been wondering if the way to go isn’t emulating VII/VIII/IX on a PC and playing it on a nicer, later, higher-resolution CRT monitor. Although I think the best CRTs of the era go for a fairly high price these days, so I wonder if there’s really much improvement to running them on one of those instead of some old 1024 Dell.

There are apparently some CRTs out there that can output in 1080p, though those are probably really pricey. CRTs can also do a lot better in terms of refresh rate than LCDs.

As cool as having a CRT would be for a retro setup, the thought of having to deal with it physically (both in finding space and hefting it around) turns me off the idea.

-

This is getting more off track from the initial point, but talking about CRTs also reminds me that the video output can make a difference in visuals. PS1 could do both composite and S-Video.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm still so mad. I found a really good CRT near me for about $50 but this was right as the Pandemic started and so I never got it.

If you don't wanna pay out the rear end for CRTs you gotta find them locally because people on ebay know their worth to retro geeks and will charge an arm and a leg for anything resembling a decent one. But I'd love to play Chrono Cross on a really good CRT.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Sigh. I had to leave behind a 21" Trinitron in like 2006-7 because I couldn't even give it away and I didn't want to move it.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

FrostyPox posted:

Not sure what Amarant's schtick is. Throwing weapons seems to do significant damage, but other than that, I suppose I'll have to level him up and get him some more gear

Amarant's a very flexible character in how you can utilize him.

You can equip Counter, Eye4Eye and Return Magic to turn him into a counterattack machine. He also has a bunch of Killer abilities as well as MP Attack if you want to turn him into a physical attacker.

Throw's a decent move that does bonus damage to flying enemies (as in, any enemy that floats or has wings in their design). Countdown has a 50% chance of inflicting Doom. Curse gives enemies a random elemental weakness and can be used repeatedly. No Mercy's a physical skill that deals 170% of Amarant's base damage, in case you're out of items to throw. And Spare Change deals big damage the more Gil you use and the the closer you are to being broke.

He also makes for a decent support unit. Healer lets him heal party members with his physicals, and Chakra's a decent source of MP restoration, letting him act as an MP battery for Vivi or Dagger. He also gets access to Revive and Aura (cast Regen & Auto-Life). His Trance turns all his skills into multi-target, so equip him with High Tide to really utilize it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Amarant's problem isn't that he's useless, it's that he turns up weirdly late in the game after you've already kinda got your game plan figured out.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Amarant's problem isn't that he's useless, it's that he turns up weirdly late in the game after you've already kinda got your game plan figured out.

On your first playthrough it's still only a couple hours after you meet Eiko, maybe like 3 or 4 at most. At least I think. It's been a long time since my first playthrough.

Point is, I'd say Eiko has a legit claim to be the best party member in the game and also has a lot more story relevance than somebody like Freya.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Eiko’s probably the best member mechanically, learns Curaga sooner than Garnet and Holy hits like a bulldozer since it’s easily boosted with gear and scarcely anything resists it. Heck, I think literally every random enemy in the final dungeon is weak to it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the best party member is steiner actually

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Eiko’s probably the best member mechanically, learns Curaga sooner than Garnet and Holy hits like a bulldozer since it’s easily boosted with gear and scarcely anything resists it. Heck, I think literally every random enemy in the final dungeon is weak to it

Yep. Can heal, can do max damage, has useful supplementary spells like Dispel, and Dbl White is one of the bst Trances in the game

She has it all.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Yep. Can heal, can do max damage, has useful supplementary spells like Dispel, and Dbl White is one of the bst Trances in the game

She has it all.

Still not welcome in my party and don't like her in the game narratively.

Which sucks cause yeah mechanically shes amazing

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Wow, your spellcheck must be hosed to misspell “Vivi” that badly.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

I say this as someone who legitimately loves FF9 and did 100% of chocobo hot and cold but man I cannot imagine a world in 2022 where you say “oh yeah this rpg is great. It’s 100 hours but about 30 hours of that is playing a mini game so simple it would be free on your phone”

For some reason the FF15 fishing mini game is different and I got to rank 10 in that

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean, the actual minigame with the flamenco music playing is alright, it’s fun when the levels aren’t janky (so half the time), but it goes without saying that the scavenger hunt part is part of “Chocobo Hot and Cold, the sidequest that spans virtually the entire game”, which is a blast to me. Aside from getting rewards that are tetra master cards…

Edit: (stranger of paradise spoilers)jacks voice actor is pretty good at selling how hosed his entire life has gotten in the span of like an hour, after murdering his maybe-boyfriend, maybe-girlfriend, and then all of his bros, even being spoiled enough to know the ending it still was a bummer when I cutscene killed my fellow fiends.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 3, 2022

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Last Celebration posted:

Eiko is also the only member who can be leveled to 99 twice, because she shares Marcus' character slot. You get an extra stat point every couple of levels.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Even though theyre absolutely filling different roles I always hated how in a game with 7 party members two of them were white mages.

I mean your troupe bros are RIGHT THERE. And you even get some in your party! And Beatrix!

Plus I don't want a dang lovestruck child in my party.
One construct child soldier is enough thank you.