Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I can't believe they picked up the Twitter Trump guy, I was in tears by the end of the opener

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it’s a shame there’s no real way of making him look like Trump, and I miss the dude just in his normal clothes walking around the neighborhood doing a spot on impression. It just adds to it. Combining the impression with an ESPN topic countdown was just brilliant though, I bet they didn’t even bother to cue card it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I know that guy's impersonation is good because I reflexively skipped ahead the moment it started. Pretty funny episode, skipped the music.

I think I might've missed something in the ska music video because it kind of just seemed like they wanted to make a genuine ska song and music video and played it completely straight?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I know that guy's impersonation is good because I reflexively skipped ahead the moment it started. Pretty funny episode, skipped the music.

I think I might've missed something in the ska music video because it kind of just seemed like they wanted to make a genuine ska song and music video and played it completely straight?
You see, ska is already a joke

edit: wait gently caress, I meant, American versions of ska are a joke... file this under problematic 90s sketches

Martman fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 7, 2021

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Dracula Factory posted:

I had no strong feelings about Cecily when I first saw her years ago, but watching clips from the past years that I've missed has made her grow on me a lot, she's so versatile and consistently funny. And this abortion bit was so good and raw and still funny, she really doesn't get enough appreciation imo. Good episode in general, I was completely expecting the political sketch to not be funny but it was great for once.

That was one of the best WU skits ever she just did.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

That was one of the best WU skits ever she just did.

Yes, though I think there might be someone in the prop department looking for work now.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Khanstant posted:

The music was very directly parodying the song “Superman” by Goldfinger which was heavily associated with the Tony Hawk game series

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Martman posted:

I can't believe they picked up the Twitter Trump guy, I was in tears by the end of the opener

I didn't know that's what he was famous for, but he has already been the strongest of the new cast before I saw the impression

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Well he's also the only one of the new cast to get any screentime, presumably because he can fit into the endless roles they have for generic beardless white man.

I wonder if they just pull straws. Jason, Jost, Bennett, Day, Moffat, Dismukes, Johnson! Get over here, there's a character wearing dockers and a sweater vest who notices another character is being weird, draw straws to see who gets it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Important news:

https://twitter.com/popcrave/status/1459029620393664516?s=21

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Man that’s going to be a lot of skipping on plex then.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Guess she's not going to get off the stage Swift like.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Maybe they'll only do one music break then? I can dream. The music segment is something I'm glad is there abstractly to fulfill requirements of a rudimentary Variety Show, but it's also a reminder of why we tend to not do that kind of show anymore. It's -time from the good stuff if you're not into that artist, or maybe even when you are, it's not a great venue and comedy sketches isn't the pre-show moodsetter an opening band would be so I'm not usually in the mood to really listen anyway.

I guess they could just make SNL a little longer. Whatever comes on after SNL doesn't matter and can be cut into since they are always cutting sketches and stuff as it is and it usually feels like they always get cut directly because the musical guests going so slow.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

give us Folklore

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Khanstant posted:

Maybe they'll only do one music break then? I can dream. The music segment is something I'm glad is there abstractly to fulfill requirements of a rudimentary Variety Show, but it's also a reminder of why we tend to not do that kind of show anymore. It's -time from the good stuff if you're not into that artist, or maybe even when you are, it's not a great venue and comedy sketches isn't the pre-show moodsetter an opening band would be so I'm not usually in the mood to really listen anyway.

I guess they could just make SNL a little longer. Whatever comes on after SNL doesn't matter and can be cut into since they are always cutting sketches and stuff as it is and it usually feels like they always get cut directly because the musical guests going so slow.

Kind of even weirder now that SNL posts all of the sketches to youtube as soon as they air and I'm pretty sure that's how a huge segment of young people actually watch the show. I guess you click on the music act if you like that artist. Like you say, the whole format is a relic, but it generally provides an interesting structure that other sketch shows don't have. But the musical guest component always winds up being so divorced from the rest of the show.

It's fun when they use them as an additional guest though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It used to be fun but not when there is like 30 cast members. Cut that in half and I agree.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Really that's a core problem that compounds all the other little things that usually smooth over. With a tighter cast, everyone gets more time to shine, new jokes and comedy approaches can get a spotlight, musical guests might have room for a bit part or something, maybe they'd cut the softball twenty minute political sketch at the start if they didn't have an infinite cast from which to impersonate every single political dipshit who was ever in the news last week and often only make sense if you're butt-chugging the same twitter news feeds as them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Even like when Tracey Morgan was on last week. I was more like, really, they couldn't have used some new person instead? They don't have room for this bullshit.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5q466RkpMg

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Just watched last week’s episode. Is it just me, or are the sketches noticeably better than the last few years?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I think the biggest improvement is just not spending the first quarter of the show and a good chunk of weekend update rehashing what Trump did that week.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Dumping Baldwin really helped the show.

Comedy Hot Take: Taylor Swift is what happens when centuries of music theory is used for evil.

Honest Take: Swift is a business savvy musician who knows exactly how to market (and control) her brand and manufacture authenticity. Her headshot to the recording industry is legendary and worthy of great praise!
:worship:

Hopefully her live performances have improved since her last visit... :ohdear:

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiE3CJeyt74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhjpnAmWk18

I’m only passingly familiar with the Jonathan Majors, as I still haven’t seen Lovecraft Country, but by what I’ve heard I’m looking forward to him on the show tonight. And while I’m not especially a Swift fan, I’m intrigued with her doing a ten minute song. Will it be the only performance from her tonight? She seemed to indicate as much, from what she told Fallon Thursday night in response to which two tracks she’d perform: “What if it was not two songs as much as it was one song that was the length of three songs?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp3XS0q06Wk

So it definitely seems she’ll be doing a Prince and having one big centerpiece performance. Oh yeah, and this will be her fifth time as a guest (not counting the 40th Anniversary Special of course.)

And the Vintage will be a bit vintage for a change: Liam Neeson with Modest Mouse from November 13 2004, right after W won a second term. Season 30 isn’t especially well-regarded in retrospect, though it’s worth remembering that this was just a few weeks after the Ashlee Simpson incident. And on that note, I dug into the archives and found the live thread for the Neeson ep, so if you have Archives, please enjoy this trip back in time.

pwn
May 27, 2004

It’s in the dress rundown, but will it make it to air?

https://twitter.com/thesnlnetwork/status/1459687531549581314?s=21

It is common for new people to have their bits cut in Update. Maybe putting pressure on them on Twitter will help keep it in the show.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Seems like it's be pretty crazy if they would post that tweet just to cut her out later on?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s not the official snl Twitter account so no guarantees.

That Liam Neeson episode earlier was one of the first I’d ever seen. Kinda wonder why I stuck around after rewatching it!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh this has potential. White Power Rangers already getting a laugh out of me.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh this has potential. White Power Rangers already getting a laugh out of me.

:same:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'm almost thirty!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
This is great! :laffo:

Vakal posted:

I'm almost thirty!

:allears:

pwn
May 27, 2004

They remembered Punkie was in the cast!

Edit: PDD moved to the front half of the show wow

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lol poor Tubi getting listed. They’re still alive and seemingly well liked!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
PDD trying to backdoor into the cast...or maybe trying to backdoor pilot?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Man Park :discourse:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Oh poo poo this is gonna be ten minutes

Update ain’t starting until almost 11:30

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like Tay Tay, but this song really doesn’t need to be 10 minutes long and she’s really struggling with her tuning at points.

Maybe we give it a rest on the country for the rest of the season now?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Hey, she needs all ten minutes to really get to the meat of the 5 weeks she dated Jake Gyllenhaal.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Well, that was neat. On with the show

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Jesus take the loving mic away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU