Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
"Welcome to the Playground"

Into the Arcane - Crossover Website | Arcane - Netflix

What is Arcane?

Arcane is a new 9 episode animated series created by Studio Fortiche in collaboration with Riot Games which delves into the backstory of original characters and the game world created by Riot for their game League of Legends. The story focuses on two major locations from the game, Piltover & Zaun, and characters from both their Moba League of Legends and the card game Legends of Runeterra. The main characters and heart of the story are Vi & Jinx, two popular heroes from the moba, and tells their tragic backstory as they grow up in a world split apart by class. There are a number of other "champions" from the game as well as characters newly introduced.

Do I need to play the game to understand anything?

No. There are plenty of fun easter eggs for gamers, but this is a fully standalone attempt by Riot to flesh out their game world. They are making an MMO and Arcane is the first major salvo in creating a fully realized world. It is also a re-imagined origin story for the characters in the game, with the show becoming the "canon" story for the champions. You don't really need to know anything extra about the world! If you want to know more check out the LOL Universe which has descriptions of characters & places as well as links to short stories set in the world of Runeterra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Svs_hl897c

This looks loving sick!

Hell yea! Riot & Fortiche spent 6 years developing the show from early conceepts to the technology needed to actually make the animated episodes look as good as they do. Fortiche and Riot have worked on a number of animated shorts for the game prior and have a very good relationship. If you are a fan of animation you should check this out just for the quality. See the second post for some other Fortiche animations Riot has produced.

The Characters

Zaun
Zaun is a large, undercity district, lying in the deep canyons and valleys threading Piltover. Zaun and Piltover were once united, but are now separate, yet symbiotic societies. Though it exists in perpetual smogged twilight, Zaun thrives, its people vibrant and its culture rich. Piltover’s wealth has allowed Zaun to develop in tandem; a dark mirror of the city above.

Violet/Vi - Hailee Steinfeld

Leader of the main street gang of kids & teens that the show follows. She is a tough no-nonsense fighter that looks out for her crew and her younger sister Powder. Adopted daughter of Vander.

Powder/Jinx - Ella Purnell

Younger sister of Vi and the baby of the gang. Referred to as a "jinx" due to her not being the best at criminal activities. Her main talent is for creating makeshift contraptions like traps & wind up grenades. Adopted daughter of Vander.

Vander - JB Blanc

Bartender in the undercity who used to be a mean fighter. Adopted Vi & Powder after their parents were killed in a rebellion of Zaunites that was brutally put down by Piltover Enforcers. Keeps a wary peace between the two zones by working with some of the Enforcers to nip problems in the bud before they grow too big.

Claggor - Roger Craig Smith

Member of Vi's gang, a big boy with a heart of gold. Strong physical prowess.

Mylo - Yuri Lowenthal

Member of Vi's gang, the cocky one! Can pick locks and is scrappy. Junkrat?

Ekko - Miles Brown

On the periphery of Vi's gang, hangs out with their benefactor Benzos.

Silco - Jason Spisak

Gang leader in Zaun that is focusing on chemtech to get revenge on Piltover for their excesses and treatment of the "undercity". Ruthless and brutal.

Piltover
Piltover is a thriving, progressive city whose power and influence is on the rise. It is Valoran’s cultural center, where art, craftsmanship, trade and innovation walk hand in hand. Its power comes not through military might, but the engines of commerce and forward thinking. Situated on the cliffs above the district of Zaun and overlooking the ocean, fleets of ships pass through its titanic sea-gates, bringing goods from all over the world. The wealth this generates has given rise to an unprecedented boom in the city’s growth. The industrial waste from their technological progress is part of Zaun's pollution, and Piltover Enforcers (police) make sure Zaun can't do poo poo about it.

Grayson & Marcus - Shohreh Aghdashloo(:rock:) & Remy Hii
|
Grayson & Marcus are Piltover Enforcers, both directly involved in the uneasy "peace keeping" that the varius Zaun gang leaders do to keep the Enforcers topside. Grayson and Vander's alliance has kept the peace, for now.

Jayce - Kevin Alejandro

A student at the technological academy in Piltover. Jayce encountered arcane magic when he was a child and believes it can be harnessed to create wonderous new inventions.

Viktor - Harry Lloyd

A student at the technological academy and Professor Heimerdinger's assistant. An ends justifies the means type of guy, he pushes the boundaries to bring about Humanity's full potential.

Heimerdinger - Mick Wingert

A yordle, immortal race of weird magic furries, that lives for science. Currently teaching at the Academy in Piltover and a member of the council.

Caitlyn - Katie Leung

A friend of Jayce and daughter of Piltover aristocrats. Longs to be a Piltover Warden (detective with a sniper rifle).

Mel - Toks Olagundoye

A member of the Council of Progress. At odds with the conservative views of the council. Also sick AF character design.

Release Schedule

Act 1 - Episodes 1 to 3 - OUT NOW!
Act 2 - Episodes 4 to 6 - OUT NOW!
Act 3 - Episodes 7 to 9 - OUT NOW!

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
:siren: https://imgur.com/a/omGmCEj 4k upscaled stills of the show Spoilers obviously!! :siren:

Katreus posted:

A bunch of people have doing 4k upscaled stills from Arcane.

See: here, here, here, here, here, and here.

Arcane Related Videos

League of Legends World Championship Opening (features live action Zaun!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OzoFq4Q3_c

Arcane OP Music Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5tSoaJ93ac

Arcane Soundtrack Playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgbEfJgMInlmJF_rvZMxGHaXos_NEuJ_f

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMzi3-2Nct0

Here are some other Fortiche Studios videos they have done.
Get Jinxed! - Music video for Jinx's original champion release
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCdcHBW54eE

KDA - Popstars | K-pop Alt Reality MV for League champions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOxkGD8qRB4

RISE - Worlds song MV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB8TyLTD7EE

Warriors - Worlds song MV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqKKuWXcXgs

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 26, 2021

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Show is good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jerkface posted:

Here are some other Fortiche Studios videos they have done.
Get Jinxed! - Music video for Jinx's original champion release
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCdcHBW54eE

gently caress I knew they'd been building Fortiche as the studio to make this for a long time but I didn't realise it went back this far.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

njsykora posted:

gently caress I knew they'd been building Fortiche as the studio to make this for a long time but I didn't realise it went back this far.

What's interesting to me personally about Get Jinxed is that I was interested \ playing LOL at the time but the hype for Jinx was specifically what hooked me in as a long time fan. When I saw that a game studio made a fun catchy song with a badass music video for a character release I was like woah what are they gonna do next

KDA popstar was the next big thing that brought me back to LOL

no surprise that fortiche was involved in both

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I really don't understand fake bands like KDA and it reminds me of nightmare stuff like Hatsune Miku.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
KDA is real singers teaming up and portraying the voices of fictional characters, pretty sure Miku is a computer singing. They're kinda different.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Also if a computer-synthesized voice being given an avatar is a nightmare scenario to you, your nightmares sound remarkably pleasant.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Miku is also cool as poo poo.

Jerkface posted:

KDA is real singers teaming up and portraying the voices of fictional characters, pretty sure Miku is a computer singing. They're kinda different.

Also this, KDA is just the same concept as Gorillaz.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The show is very good. The story is sort of typical YA fantasy that’s elevated so much by the visuals that it might be the best fantasy series ever realized.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Show kicks rear end!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Jerkface posted:

What's interesting to me personally about Get Jinxed is that I was interested \ playing LOL at the time but the hype for Jinx was specifically what hooked me in as a long time fan. When I saw that a game studio made a fun catchy song with a badass music video for a character release I was like woah what are they gonna do next

KDA popstar was the next big thing that brought me back to LOL

no surprise that fortiche was involved in both

Same. Get Jinxed rocked

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I pretty much only expected some visual eye candy, and was positively surprised that Arcane is an actual show with a decent story. Genuinely can't wait for next weekend's episodes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Arcane may be the best looking animated anything I've ever seen. Even more so than Spiderverse. The animation is absolutely insane

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Without any practical animation knowledge I may be talking out of my rear end but it seems that a lot of Impressive stuff achieved is through precise cost-cutting tricks and fancy effects. Like facial animation in places feels like a proper, turbocharged version of animated static art that indie games frequently use (think animated cards in Gwent or LoL loading screens). Maybe its just the effect of hand drawn textures. Would love to see behind the scenes feature once the series finishes.

Anyway the final result makes things like Bad Batch or What If look like last century tv works, Disney streaming better catch up to advertisment for LoL skins!

Story gets surprisingly brutal, did not expect Avasarala voiced cop to get mauled so soon and without fanfare and the kids in ep 3 die just horribly

From lore I expected Zaun to be a full underground city but here it is limited to like a district for some reason.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

fatherboxx posted:

Without any practical animation knowledge I may be talking out of my rear end but it seems that a lot of Impressive stuff achieved is through precise cost-cutting tricks and fancy effects. Like facial animation in places feels like a proper, turbocharged version of animated static art that indie games frequently use (think animated cards in Gwent or LoL loading screens). Maybe its just the effect of hand drawn textures. Would love to see behind the scenes feature once the series finishes.

Anyway the final result makes things like Bad Batch or What If look like last century tv works, Disney streaming better catch up to advertisment for LoL skins!

Story gets surprisingly brutal, did not expect Avasarala voiced cop to get mauled so soon and without fanfare and the kids in ep 3 die just horribly

From lore I expected Zaun to be a full underground city but here it is limited to like a district for some reason.

There's underground stuff (they take an elevator down into the chasm at one point). It's best to think of the region as a portside/riverside city, but the Zaun side is lower down than the Piltover side of the River, and has chasms into the earth that have sunk and Piltover is basically building up over the top.

I also imagine post timeskip the difference will be more stark as Piltover rapidly advances via Hextech and Zaun is left in the muck and run-off.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Hellioning posted:

Show is good.

Caros
May 14, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

The single most wtf animation for me on second viewing was the ugly cry animation for powder at the end of episode 3.

I can't think of an actor I've seen manage that specific sort of hiccupy emotional breakdown that convincingly. To see it in animation was loving stunning amidst a show that had already knocked it out of the park visually.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

fatherboxx posted:

Like facial animation in places feels like a proper, turbocharged version of animated static art that indie games frequently use (think animated cards in Gwent or LoL loading screens). Maybe its just the effect of hand drawn textures. Would love to see behind the scenes feature once the series finishes.

You mean Live2D? It's the same thing lol (and monster train, Gwent, and a lot of other video games) use for that semi-animated stretchy art style, 2D vtuber avatars use it too, so if you wanted to look up how it works at least there are definitely a ton of resources, just not specifically for Arcane

From watching the show yesterday, it does seem like they seamlessly switch between 3D models and 2D art for close-ups and such

Xad fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 10, 2021

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

You can catch a glimpse of more of Zaun proper when they're taking the elevator down in episode 1. Most of the city sunk into the earth after an attempt to create the Runeterran equivalent of the Panama Canal went awry, and Piltover was largely built over top of it after. I think they just wanted to limit the scope to tell a more comprehensible story for new watchers, especially since the Black Lanes are one of Zaun's poorest areas, creating a nice contrast with the luxurious excess of Piltover.

Caros posted:

I can't think of an actor I've seen manage that specific sort of hiccupy emotional breakdown that convincingly. To see it in animation was loving stunning amidst a show that had already knocked it out of the park visually.

It's kinda overshadowed by the visual triumph, but the voice cast puts in some truly phenomenal work, too. Mia Sinclair Jenness (Powder) absolutely knocks it out of the park in episode 3.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 9, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Vermain posted:

You can catch a glimpse of more of Zaun proper when they're taking the elevator down in episode 1. Most of the city sunk into the earth after an attempt to create the Runeterran equivalent of the Panama Canal went awry, and Piltover was largely built over top of it after. I think they just wanted to limit the scope to tell a more comprehensible story for new watchers, especially since the Black Lanes are one of Zaun's poorest areas, creating a nice contrast with the luxurious excess of Piltover.

Also I suspect the worst of the separation is soon to come what with Piltover about to hit a new age of technological progress, which will in turn mean Zaun gets left to fester and rot more and more.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
I think Zaun also doesn't really exist yet, like it's all just Piltover at the moment officially, even if the only interactions the two have are Piltover sends their enforcers to beat up poor people in the undercity/what will eventually become Zaun. I'm thinking this since I'm pretty sure I remember Silco talking about creating the "nation of Zaun" implying it doesn't really exist as its own thing separate from Piltover yet maybe?

Also this took me until watching the show but Piltover is two letters off of "Built Over" and it's physically built on top of Zaun

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Xad posted:

I think Zaun also doesn't really exist yet, like it's all just Piltover at the moment officially, even if the only interactions the two have are Piltover sends their enforcers to beat up poor people in the undercity/what will eventually become Zaun. I'm thinking this since I'm pretty sure I remember Silco talking about creating the "nation of Zaun" implying it doesn't really exist as its own thing separate from Piltover yet maybe?

Zaun was technically there first, going all the way back to its origins as a Shuriman port city, so I think Silco is speaking more symbolically about uniting the fragmented city under a single political banner.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Vermain posted:

Zaun was technically there first, going all the way back to its origins as a Shuriman port city, so I think Silco is speaking more symbolically about uniting the fragmented city under a single political banner.

Ohhh okay, wasn't sure of the exact history of the two

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I expected this to be as bad a story as just about any video game tie-in. Completely blown away by how not poo poo it was.

It was really loving dark especially at the end of Act 1 and most of the characters have unexpected depth that makes them feel fully fleshed out.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hellioning posted:

Also if a computer-synthesized voice being given an avatar is a nightmare scenario to you, your nightmares sound remarkably pleasant.
We all know how this sort of thing ends
https://i.imgur.com/4D3RHfB.mp4

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Lawlicaust posted:

I expected this to be as bad a story as just about any video game tie-in. Completely blown away by how not poo poo it was.

It was really loving dark especially at the end of Act 1 and most of the characters have unexpected depth that makes them feel fully fleshed out.

Vi's astonishingly well-written for a teen in a show like this. She's got enough youthful bravado to go off and do something stupid on her own to prove herself, but she's still a kid, and her quietly seeking reassurance from her foster dad that things'll be okay is such a small but deeply humanizing moment. There's so many little touches in the writing and animation that help to give her depth, like how she's simultaneously concerned over and protective of her sister, but decidedly not mature or confident enough to know how to try and manage Powder's deeply-seated trauma without encouraging her enthusiasm for building nail bombs.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Trans panic humour halfway through the first episode, cool cool cool.

The United States posted:

We all know how this sort of thing ends
https://i.imgur.com/4D3RHfB.mp4

What's this from? Looks cool.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Open Source Idiom posted:

What's this from? Looks cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T0BHRluhNY

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The framing of the joke is very clearly on Claggor being hit on by a yordle, Runeterra's goblin/gnome equivalent. If they wanted to do trans panic humor, they would've kept the camera's framing on her companion.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Wait what, I did not catch this. Oh if it is the hooker the joke is definitely that it is an old Yordle hooker which is just a really bizarre thing to include.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Is "a drag queen hooker exists" trans panic?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

The issue is probably that it's the only representation in the show. Charitably, I think it's about how the Lanes are where the people who don't fit into the "perfect" society alive congregate and we are supposed to see them in the same light as our protagonists.

Uncharitably, why was this the representation they went for.

Sex worker Yordle is important lore tho.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Working my way through episode two and I don't think the plot is anything to write home about. The main villain is sub-Bondian, and the guy who's likely acting as the show's secondary villain is a little bit more compelling, but he's also got the hallmark codifiers of villainous practice: a LIMP! MUAHAHAH. The show generally seems empty headed, and some of the structural beats seem poorly motivated. I'm also concerned that the political aspects won't stand up to much scrutiny.

Nicely animated so far, the technical craft on display here is really very impressive. Though the lighting and simulated weight to the CG is genuinely impressive. I love that the character designs for the underclass kid heroes lean towards being a bit rough and ugly (while still being very handsome). But this is shaping up to be a pretty classic case of style over substance.

Vermain posted:

The framing of the joke is very clearly on Claggor being hit on by a yordle, Runeterra's goblin/gnome equivalent. If they wanted to do trans panic humor, they would've kept the camera's framing on her companion.

Cool, the entire thing is still transphobic and ageist and anti-sex work. It's crap and doesn't need any kind of defence or determination of the nuance here. Riot, as a company, doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt either.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Cool, the entire thing is still transphobic and ageist and anti-sex work. It's crap and doesn't need any kind of defence or determination of the nuance here. Riot, as a company, doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt either.

lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm usually super sensitive to that stuff and I didn't even blink at it dude, it was just a background character there not being remarked on at all.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

The Vi/Powder storyline does the heavy lifting for sure, but after the ending I am way more interested in seeing where everything goes in the next set of episodes

Also I think the technical accomplishment is a little more than just style -- the emotiveness of the characters, the brutality of the fighting, and the weight of the magic effects were pretty vital to the storytelling for me

Altho if I'm being honest I'd watch a full series that was just Vi Goes Punch, I really want some kind of character action brawler game starring Vi now

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Chomposaur posted:

Altho if I'm being honest I'd watch a full series that was just Vi Goes Punch, I really want some kind of character action brawler game starring Vi now

I did not know I wanted this but now I do (both of them)

On a related note, I really liked how early in episode 1 Vi gets too impatient for the lockpicking to happen and just kicks the door open :allears:

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
as a dota fan, show is pretty good and does a good job worldbuilding more than the dota anime

still wouldn't choose to play league over dota though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Chomposaur posted:

Also I think the technical accomplishment is a little more than just style -- the emotiveness of the characters, the brutality of the fighting, and the weight of the magic effects were pretty vital to the storytelling for me

A lot of the style comes from the technical accomplishments, really. If you slow Arcane down and go frame-by-frame, it's clear that they hired on people with strong 2D animation principles and then handed them 3D tools that could replicate what they already knew. Aside from the models being able to squash and stretch far more than your average 3D character, they're able to create some truly impressive smears, are comfortable with cutting multiple frames or holding single frames to emphasize impact, and know when and where to use traditional hand-drawn effects over CGI when it's appropriate. None of that is easy to do with 3D, which is probably why it took six years of development, since the tools and pipeline to do all that flat out didn't exist beyond a couple of early innovators like ArcSys.