Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Reaganomicon posted:

that was me by the way. I registered a million dumb gimmick accounts like Magic 8 Ball and Triangle Guy as well as distinguished myself in the "want to bbe a moderator" thread as TastyArmageddon. i was maybe 16 and 50% dumber than I am now when i posted the dramatic suicide thread...

i still deal a lot with mental illness but i try to keep my breakdowns private now. i'm pretty sure he started charging money for accounts because of me, and so I don't know how much I had to do with whatever wealth Lowtax was receiving during SA's heydey, but it's weird to think about.

Wait hold up

You're TastyArmageddon?? The legend himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Holy poo poo I am just hearing about this today for reason. I've been on here since.... god probably 1999? That was on an account I've long forgotten, a year or two before the forums went pay.

It was really sad to see Richard spiral out over the years. The forums were kind of my "Home Base" online for a long time, and it was tough watching him become more and more bitter and misanthropic as time went on. I know a lot of like our humor dark and bleak, but for most of us it comes from a place of good-natured realism that seeks to make sense of the poo poo life can kick up rather than a malevolent outlook that wishes to project harm outwards.

When the allegations of Richard's abusive behavior turned into rather irrefutable proof I actually felt ashamed for ever enjoying the humor he created, like his anger and meanness should have been visible enough to me and that I'm somehow less for not seeing it. I know that's rather ridiculous, but SA has shaped a lot of our views and experiences online over the years, provided us with a community to interact with in a multitude of ways, and more, so it sucks to have to separate the lovely parts of him from the good parts of this place.

Even now I still feel a twinge of sadness thinking about the downward path he took, and while his actions were indefensible, I still wish he could have turned himself around and gotten help, both for the sake of the family he had, and for the sake of the cultural influence his creations have made.

It's too bad he'll be remembered in this way.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Pablo Fanques posted:

ah, one more. According to rumors and wikipedia, Jeffrey Ray Roberts (better known as The Laziest Men on Mars,) passed away a decade ago, but if anyone wants to hear "We Are Something Awful" again here you go:

https://sndup.net/2bxt

This is before my time so it's a funny thing to discover all those years later. Guy was talented, RIP.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Bury the fish, moola

:screamy:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Pablo Fanques posted:

ah, one more. According to rumors and wikipedia, Jeffrey Ray Roberts (better known as The Laziest Men on Mars,) passed away a decade ago, but if anyone wants to hear "We Are Something Awful" again here you go:

https://sndup.net/2bxt
Yep :(

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread for it, but since the pusher and shover bots came up earlier in the thread and it wasn't addressed then, I think it needs to be mentioned somewhere:
The Laziest Men On Mars aka. Jeffrey Ray Roberts - who made the gabber versions of All Your Base and Terrible Secret Of Space - passed away like a decade ago.

I only found out about it recently, so I guess it's possible it's something everyone knows.
The first link in my post contains the complete collection of his songs.

JRR was TLMoM, as evidenced by the credit on the mp3s.com artist page.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 14, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

caught up with the last few days of posts and gotta say i didn't expect this to turn into a revival of cum thread

but, well, since it did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsKsvKQJDU0

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 14, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I met Lowtax back before I even knew what SA was...had to be the summer of 2001? Some buddies of mine were on here and there was an SA- oriented "party" happening one weekend when I was back home and I got dragged along.

He was sold as an internet celebrity/legend who was witty beyond belief and so on. On meeting him, I thought he was kind of mean and sarcastic and seemed very unhappy, but that very specific way that you take your unhappiness and reflect it back out onto the world through snide comments and avoiding eye contact with everyone. The weirdest thing to me was there were several people at the party who were basically his entourage. It was seriously like he was the heavyweight champ: he had the 2000s internet equivalents of hype men and ring girls and everything.

I didn't think much about it for years afterwards and never really paid much attention to SA Forums News so it came as kind of a shock to discover last summer or whenever the lady-beating thing came to a head that he'd fallen on such hard times. Looking back it was clear lots of things about the guy were grossly unhealthy 20 years before, so much so we were even sort of aware of it at the time.

Imagine you have a personality disorder and unhealthy interest in drugs/alcohol at 23 or whatever, but you're so surrounded by people singing your praises you never even attempt to address any of it...and then the people abruptly melt away, and you're left only with yourself -- whom you actively hate -- and whomever you can con into spending time with you. Dude never stood a chance. Sad story all around.

Anyways hope all the various people he hurt over the years are doing well enough.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

Bury the fish, moola

I have acquired a shovel so now I can bury him

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bewbies posted:

The weirdest thing to me was there were several people at the party who were basically his entourage. It was seriously like he was the heavyweight champ: he had the 2000s internet equivalents of hype men and ring girls and everything.

Yeah I remember when people in fedoras used to ambush him and his wife at the airport and applebees and poo poo

Futa Fake
Nov 14, 2021

by sebmojo
[admin removed content]

Now you can all tune in and listen to the mentally ill tranny pay her respects to Lowtax!

Keep circle jerking and being mad on a thread though, it's also very very healthy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thank you, but this post has already been reported recently!

Futa Fake
Nov 14, 2021

by sebmojo

Mr. Nice! posted:

Jealousy takes many forms.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mr. Nice! posted:

That was fast

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
How can someone with a pet crow be such a..oh I get it. The crow represents scavenging on corpses.

Futa Fake
Nov 14, 2021

by sebmojo

Funky See Funky Do posted:

How can someone with a pet crow be such a..oh I get it. The crow represents scavenging on corpses.

Opportunistic Omnivores, solely subsisting on cum and drama.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Futa Fake posted:

Keep circle jerking and being mad on a thread though, it's also very very healthy.

it's true, I'm the mad one :(

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Well, I'm not completely sure about it, but so far as I remember, it's a concept in literary criticism which dictates that only what's in the text can be used to judge an authors work.

if by “judge” you mean interpret

quote:

other times it gets used to divorce the author from their work in case it turns out the author is a right prick.

:wrong:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

drat

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

"Ah, I see she's here"

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Futa Fake posted:

Now you can all tune in and listen to the mentally ill [!!MODSNIP!! slur !!MODSNIP!!] pay her respects to Lowtax!

jesus loving christ lady

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 15, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thanks, mods!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Breadallelogram posted:

jesus loving christ lady

Don't quote crazy people - it feeds into their need to post and also spreads whatever they were posting.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Can I ban the next Futa Snake account

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Futa Fake posted:

Now you can all tune in and listen to the mentally ill ***** pay her respects to Lowtax!

Who is

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 15, 2021

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Don't quote crazy people - it feeds into their need to post and also spreads whatever they were posting.

I'm helping jeffrey $10 at a time

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ah, so you were being perscriptivist, gotcha.

While I'm not a very cunning linguist, I try to be descriptivist - and it's easily provable that the concept gets used by people that way; just look at Rowling.

sheepdemon
Feb 15, 2004

. . . before turning the gun on himself

Futa Fake posted:

Do you genuinely not see the irony here or....

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
God Futa is basically gonna pay for the server costs this month herself

I've never understood the incessant need to rereg permas. If this was a free forum, sure, register away with no consequences. But this costs money, like poo poo man. Are you really owning us by paying what's now like $100 to post for three minutes?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

She's the new Seraph84

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I just want to tell the weird rereg guy that actions speak louder than words. Nothing you can do will undo those actions.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Seth Pecksniff posted:

God Futa is basically gonna pay for the server costs this month herself

I've never understood the incessant need to rereg permas. If this was a free forum, sure, register away with no consequences. But this costs money, like poo poo man. Are you really owning us by paying what's now like $100 to post for three minutes?
I'm gonna presume they were groomed by Richard and are grieving.

rastarob
Feb 12, 2005

Form is emptiness, emptiness is forum

Moola posted:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
if I keep quoting and responding to the lady that needs professional help surely she will leave

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Moola posted:

You know what you need to do :screamy:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Schmeichy posted:

I actually got into SA by reading the front page :kiddo:

If I had to say something nice about Lowtax, it would be that when I was living in a homeless shelter and had nothing to do all day, the front page was something that was there for me. I spent many a afternoon just reading the website, which wasn't blocked at the library. When I finally had a computer, it inspired me to do my own "comedy" website, and was a great outlet for my creativity plagiarism and teaching myself how that website, enabled me to trick people into thinking I should be a sys admin.

Eventually I stopped finding chat logs with the dumb and making fun of ugly people to be emotionally satisfying and quit my website and decided to finally make a forum account. But every experience with him and this website was so negative in future years (with the exception of a few people and a couple small communities that were successful despite him rather than because of him) that any sort of gratitude was long ago spent, before I knew that he was doing way worse things than being mean to my friends.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
https://i.imgur.com/VcEYrjA.mp4
Mocking the death and life of a once vaguely popular nerd turned scorned serial abuser is what he would have wanted.

I retract my rest in piss statement - Rest in Peace Lowtax, thanks for the bad humour and inadvertently bringing toxic people together in a way that defies all logic by not turning into complete poo poo over 2 decades like the rest of the internet has. Like us, once upon a time you used to care; unlike us you let cynicism, bitterness and fear completely destroy you and the people who loved you. If nothing else your family and friends are dear to us, or at least some of us, even as we mock both their outrage and their ambivalence.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

:drat:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dawn of the third day:
$1930 remaining in twitter sale fund

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Snowy posted:

As in, the stile from the video?

Nice work if so :)

Yeah, that's me. I was somewhat friends with Stile and had minimal contact with Lowtax, but thought it was funny for my friend to be Lowtax. I randomly upload stuff to Youtube every now and then but don't really push for anything like I used to except having fun with friends. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvXbyKqrXS8&t=26s