Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
So many old faces, interesting.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Lowtax's next mark posting in his memorial thread is a real fitting eulogy, imo

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

rivetz posted:

Unsung forums legend right here y'all, at least in my mind. Top-shelf humor for years.

What people need to understand is how much easier it is for stuff to go viral today, and how much rarer that sort of thing was 15-20 years ago, pre-Facebook, pre-Twitter, pre-[insert literally any social media platform]. Whenever SA is referenced as this cornerstone of internet culture it's always via AYB and lolcats and whatever, but that wasn't what made this place great back in the day, that's just the fragments of stuff that managed to fumble and fart its way upstream to a larger audience. Packed tightly around that poo poo was this constant stream of random essays, Photoshop contests, all kinds of stuff that was super fuckin witty, creative and inspired humor that made the forums absolutely awesome in their day. (I don't intend that as any comparison to how things are now; I don't have much perspective on that, I'm just blabbing on how it was back then.) So props to the creators of those memes and poo poo that made it big, but imo there's a shortlist of 30-40 goons all across the forums that were cranking out consistently hilarious stuff at an absolutely insane rate from like 2002-2005 or so.

As far as I'm concerned, if there was an SA Hall of Fame, CgiBinLaden would be first-ballot. Cheers my dude, and cheers to all the OGs swinging through here on this weird day

I'm read the two pages of their post history available and laughed, good recommendation.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

No lol. What happened these last few pages???

Grandparents off their meds gone wild with their 2003 level burns.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

SA has improved a lot over the past couple years tbh

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

LoonyLeif posted:

What should I order from Goldbelly

I thought it was a bunch of famous east coast restaurants but I was going through their site and haven’t heard of any of these places and then also realized I can’t name a famous restaurant pretty much anywhere. Sorry this post wasn’t helpful but I thought replying may help someone see it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Since this is a gathering of ancients, just in case:

To the Elemental in the liquor store, you’re forgiven, so come home.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

manboy posted:

Dang what a rollercoaster this thread has been. Can't stop reading. Happy that weird person posting the chats with lowtax is on probation. Can't stop looking for people with negative post counts. Where all da ancient fyad alums at? I might have to sully my numbers to hit some of the less nonsense subs.

They moved to a website called https://twitter.com

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

haveblue posted:

Microwave apparently hasn't posted since 2011. Maybe they decided having thousands of internet strangers creeping on your mom is only funny for so long

I am pretty sure it is something at least the mom embraces. I was curious as to if that was a meme that escaped SA orbit a week or two and searched it, and it indeed has, and there was a fairly recent instagram recreation of the original.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

lmao

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Moola posted:

I put the HDD next to him

RIP to both

but not to Lowtax, gently caress Lowtax

I hope data rot doesn't corrupt the fish when it comes time for revelations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

Come for Yorba Linda you better not miss

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

verix posted:

we used the FCC as a personal furry forum on SA and he eventually just dissolved it, I think it was such a colossal failure of treating furries like Juden that he got rid of the subforum and just made up his own story about how he owned the furries

drat this is some familiar territory.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

This is totally inappropriate but I am not going to apologize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Vdas8XTSM

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

Honestly the star wars movies from best to worst go 3>5>1>4>2>6

I can live with this.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Unban Matt Damon.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DannoMack posted:

can anyone get a message to shivadas in prison before he hears the lowtax news from somewhere else

The only jail Shivadas is in, is the p**** ***n*; his wife went out of town for a weekend and he checked in with us and did some funny things.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

I'll never forget the time I tried to helldump someone and hosed it up so badly that I got helldumped in my own thread and forcibly taught some humility following a 1 week probe. Taught me a lot about throwing stones tbh

It's funny as someone on the other side of a similar experience you think I'd remember more of it. I can't even remember who it was that called me out. The only thing really I can recall is someone else in the thread saying in my defense, "that's not rolling with the punches, that's rope a dope" which made me feel seen. Maybe it didn't happen at all and I dreamt it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Oh no...lmao.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Resplendentoops posted:

"Is this heaven?" asked Lowtax.

"Not exactly..." said Bigpeeler, handing him a broom and pail. "C'mon, the zebras are this way."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Moola posted:

I drew a picture of me and Screamy during happier times

I love pastoral scenes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

divabot posted:

Fishmech's her now, and has duly improved

SA is like if a website had BPD

This forum is going to be great in the 2050s.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

loddite posted:

PM me yours first.

I know youve prolly skipped most of this thread, but a huge portion of it is long screeds nobody asked for. I figured I was putting it in the right place.

It was the right thread, you're just the only one who has responded to anyone mocking a wall of text so now you're getting the brunt. I'd not worry about it too much.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Because of the “PC brigade” I’m “no longer welcome” at my local carls jr just because I complimented the cashiers “massive bazookas”

Just wish to say I've laughed at several of your posts in this thread.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Namaste, will you be my gf

Aww babe you can do way better.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Moai Ou posted:

I'm mainly a lurker, but when I heard about the death, I thought I should post after finally catching up with the thread.

I never had the opportunity to meet him in person, but I wish that I had. Honestly, I can't even think of a time we interacted online, but he definitely had an attractive presence.
I'll admit, he was flawed, and I truly wish his anger didn't have to continue after death.
Love him or hate him, there's no denying that he brought the forums together in his own way. I just hope he can finally find peace.

I'll miss you Screamy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The X-man cometh posted:

Caro was a schizophrenic who refused treatment, went to fight Khadafy in Libya and later ended up in a Syrian prison. He outlived Lowtax.

Are there multiple people from this website who did similar things or is the same as the person who pretended they were a reporter that I heard a podcast about?

E: apparently the same person.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Schmeichy posted:

I actually got into SA by reading the front page :kiddo:

If I had to say something nice about Lowtax, it would be that when I was living in a homeless shelter and had nothing to do all day, the front page was something that was there for me. I spent many a afternoon just reading the website, which wasn't blocked at the library. When I finally had a computer, it inspired me to do my own "comedy" website, and was a great outlet for my creativity plagiarism and teaching myself how that website, enabled me to trick people into thinking I should be a sys admin.

Eventually I stopped finding chat logs with the dumb and making fun of ugly people to be emotionally satisfying and quit my website and decided to finally make a forum account. But every experience with him and this website was so negative in future years (with the exception of a few people and a couple small communities that were successful despite him rather than because of him) that any sort of gratitude was long ago spent, before I knew that he was doing way worse things than being mean to my friends.