Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

merk posted:

I will play.

I'm only signing up because I think the last time I played a game merk said he was quitting mafia forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

merk posted:

You’re going to have to be more specific

I chuckled

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Oh boy oh boy it's happening

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Sandicap posted:

In this player list, I would say either SNG or Dex or Tobbs, because they are back after extended absences. Dex might catch a shot from an oldbie settling an old grudge, but generally, when people come back after being away for a while, you give them a bit of time to exist.

Unless you are Bif, and you specifically get Yami to join a game after taking an extended break, and then shoot him d1.

Rude

##vote Sandicrap

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Dexanth posted:

##Vote Maerlyn

Scummy vibes, feels disingenuous in posting.

Know what kind of people say disingenuous?

scum

##vote Dexanth

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

b-minus1 posted:

You could not be more wrong

Oh hey it's a town binus. Thank God.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
[quote="Hal Insandenza" post="519293536"]
Ohhhh ##enter shop
[/quote

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

b-minus1 posted:

This looks like a scumbus:

I wish bee and I were scumbros and this was scumbusception.

Alas we are town.

Toalpaz is my nemesis so calling me out is alignment neutral.

I'll try to chuck out some reads tomorrow. I just finished assembling and calibrating a 3d printer which took up most of two days and I am BEAT.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Bee movie's "you could not be more wrong" seemed super cocky and confident and came across as genuine. Maybe he's gotten more deceptive lately but it feels real to me.

Scumbusception is bee saying I'm bussing Dex, but in so saying, were bee and I scum together, it could be interpreted as a scumbus within a scumbus.

Ergo scumbusception. No relation to scumception apart from similarity of the made-up-words.

Now let me drink coffee in peace.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Lean town:

Bee because of confidence/cockiness
Shellception and Maerlyn for wordiness/lack of sneakiness

Lean scum:

Tom due to disappeariness

Dex for aforementioned reasons plus my town read of Maer

A big block of low-posty high-coasty old-timers who I haven't made up my mind about yet.

Strong neutral stance on Toal for nemesis-related reasons.

Neutral on high-posty low-coasty Sandicrap who seems too cautious

Neutral on people I don't know or care about

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Shellception posted:

Something I'd like town to learn in due time, please.

Maybe it can upgrade certain players' abilities. Lots of isekais have a growth mechanic.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Dexanth posted:

Some things feel scummy, sometimes. Maybe you are not, maybe you will develop feeling townie, but for the start, it pings me~

pls

i wish scum is my favorite role because i love manipulating the hell out of the town

unfortunately i am not

This vacillation on her read of Maerlyn plus the "pls" and the rest of this post reeks of faux innocence.

It's been in my head since yesterday but I forgot that people can't read my mind.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Why is everyone sand anyways?

Also there is zero chance of me being awake at 4am Friday.

Apologies for this OOC post.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

merk posted:

But not as weird as this post.

Got a thing for feeling posts, huh?

Well, you do you.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

b-minus1 posted:

Hey guys I have a huge favor to ask. Can you all please exit the shop

I ain't gonna risk faking a day action.

But for giggles I exit the shop

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I could see Hal, less for the "bad feelings about lurkers" thing and more "can't put down an opinion without hedging".

Hal said this posted:

Not getting good feelings about dex and also sng somewhat. Binus not coming across great this far either.

Feel decent about Tom I think, no one else really jumping out to me

Is my vote still on deadmeat? He’s not that great either now looking back, still gonna ##vote Dexanth as much as I like to give returning vets some time.

Every opinion he's throwing out here is fungible and wishy-washy. I still think Dex is very suspicious, especially since she's not really responding to any callouts. I do that as scum a lot because most pressure goes away if you ignore a vote or two.

##vote Hal

It's absolutely fine to have bad feels about me Shell, I come across as very scummy regardless of alignment and have had my fair share of D1 lunchings as town. Regardless I've got a strong town read on you and I'm on your side.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Bifauxnen posted:

I don't think everyone sharing town lists is very beneficial. It's best to point out who you think is town if and when they are in danger of being lunched, before that it's just helping scum decide who's best to kill first.

Cool game mechanics post.

Your callouts and me-toos are pretty shallow.

Who scum?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
So if I'm understanding correctly, SNG's strongest scum read this game is Tom because he came in with some good long posts and thoughtful reads and then didn't post for a while.

He says nothing about the content, just makes a quick argument from a mechanics standpoint that is deeply flawed, and when called out on it sticks to his dumb idea and flails around with a Bif vote.

Flail more, scum.

##unvote Hal
##vote SNG

Would still vote Dex but am feeling better with Hal throwing out opinions that are a bit more solid.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Bifauxnen posted:

##Enter shop

Hope to find some monster deals today!

##Enter shop

I just want to pick up an energy drink.

I'm a bit pissed that bee was taken down so fast for essentially no reason. It's not like he was caught in a web of lies, he just had some reason to distrust the shop.

I haven't seen anything from Dexanth to make me change my position so let's get scum up on the board.

##vote Dexanth

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

merk posted:

Am I scum for it or what? I don’t care how you think I played this as town.

I don't think scum would give up a doublevoter D1, so I think you're probably town. If you are town then there's no chance scum are letting you get anywhere near LYLO, especially with someone apparently spreading hate.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Dexanth posted:

I mean you will get town, so like I am not going to bother defending against this as both A. Nothing to defend and B. If I go I will at least go with plenty of people I am sus of, so my flipping will be good.

Mind you I would prefer not, but in this isekai world I have but a lowly position so...my life is not that valuable.

We're not in huge trouble yet but we do have two flipped town and no scum. A town flip is practically worthless compared to a scum flip.

Anywho I thought Hal did a good job later in the day of tossing out solid opinions. I take it you disagree?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Bifauxnen posted:

Seriously?

Seriously?

##vote Tobbs

Unmatched eloquence

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Also, starting to have some thoughts Bif, will be interesting to see how you play this.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Tom Tucker posted:

Yeah that last post by Tobbs was super scummy it deflects Bifs suspicions but not with direct attack but by placing themselves above the accusation as an observer

Thus implying innocence by oblique casting of suspicion

I don’t like it. Will need to look Tobbs over.

Bif's "suspicions"? There was no content or explanation. Anywho, I don't see any harm in explaining myself.

Bifauxnen posted:

##Enter shop

Hope to find some monster deals today!

Here's a pretty obvious reference to monsters. Please recall that bee flipped town monster. (bolding for emphasis)

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

##Enter shop

I just want to pick up an energy drink.

I'm a bit pissed that bee was taken down so fast for essentially no reason. It's not like he was caught in a web of lies, he just had some reason to distrust the shop.

I haven't seen anything from Dexanth to make me change my position so let's get scum up on the board.

##vote Dexanth

What's a popular energy drink brand? Monster.

So yeah, I responded to her breadcrumb, but her response in turn makes me think she was fishing. Why?

I'm also a town monster. I think she picked up on that, and suddenly she wants me dead. There's at least two monsters in this game (me and bee) and my guess is that Bif wants us dead for some reason.

Am I wrong? Or insane? Maybe, probably, who knows?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Bifauxnen posted:

I wanted binus alive you goldfish brain

You not so much

I literally just reiterated my thoughts from the end of D1. Nothing changed from then until now except that now you know I'm a monster.

So, what's up with that? Why are my opinions that weren't worth mentioning yesterday suddenly moving me to the top of your scumlist today?

Something isn't adding up here.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

So if I'm understanding correctly, SNG's strongest scum read this game is Tom because he came in with some good long posts and thoughtful reads and then didn't post for a while.

He says nothing about the content, just makes a quick argument from a mechanics standpoint that is deeply flawed, and when called out on it sticks to his dumb idea and flails around with a Bif vote.

Flail more, scum.

##unvote Hal
##vote SNG

Would still vote Dex but am feeling better with Hal throwing out opinions that are a bit more solid.

Here's my last post from yesterday, note the bolded portion.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

merk posted:

To me, the content speaks for itself. Toal joined the b- vote with no reason and no explanation for why they didn’t vote SNG. Toal isn’t scum hunting. Toal, from a meta perspective, would’ve done something wild by now as town.

It’s not Toal’s town game.

I'll read them. I don't have a good grasp of their meta but I do remember them being pretty aggressive as town.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Nah, I'm neutral leaning town on Toal

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

CirclMastr posted:

I would probably be better at participating in mafia if I knew the difference between a good case and a bad one. As it stands, I'm just going by tone and feel for who I think is scum.

This is perfectly valid. It's a game of liars and going with your gut is often the best path.

Scumslips and game-solving with night actions can help. What we really need is a flipped scum, though.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

CirclMastr posted:

Like, I get scum vibes from Tobbs. They put a lot of effort into reading breadcrumbs that didn't actually add anything to the discussion and wasn't scum hunting. Just this morning, Tobbs is asked about Toal, says they'll read Toal, and comes back all of six minutes later with a barely-commital stance that just mirrors other people's "town Toal doesn't act this way" but with even less articulation.

But I don't know if this is actually a good case against Tobbs or not.

In my defense Toal was not a long read. My gut says their opinions are genuine and consistent. My town flip won't help us win this game. I'll admit to substantial curiosity about the power upgrade mechanic, and while I have thoughts they'd just be a distraction and wouldn't help town.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Sandicap posted:

Good case, tobbs is still scum.

Long form cases are an anomaly these days, if you can put one together, great. If not, you won't be alone.

Out on errands with the family, but I'm going to out together something on tobbs when I get back. Unless it turns out there isn't anything there at which point I will complain. But I think there is something there.

Instead of wasting your time maybe consider casing scum.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I'm awake, I'll respond to Sandi after coffee.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Bifauxnen posted:

oh hey Tobbs! Please also post your most recent thoughts on me, ok

Without going into mechanics issues I had a town read on you D1. I did think you wanted to murder me for role-related reasons but revised that perspective.

I'm at worst neutral on you. Happy to go more in depth but I haven't actually started coffee and that's all my brain can crap out right now.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Sandicap posted:

Ok, let's talk Tobbs.

D1, super standard, low effort callout of Dex. Sure, it isn't a good callout, it's a keyword search, but it's d1, who cares.

The callout of "disingenuous" was half joke, but her response struck me as fake.

So then Tobbs lists. And I love lists, but this one is contentless. All sound and no fury. Faking reads is hard, so Tobbs just didn't. He put together this milquetoast screed that says nothing.

This game is a bit of a tough read for me. Nobody's full of fury. The best I can do is keep my vote on people who I think are scum and not contribute to momentum of people I read as town. Which is what I'm doing. It's a bit weird that a game that feels role-madnessy is giving us nothing from night actions, but I'm hoping we lunch scum today and get something tangible tonight so we can win this.

Let's break it down. 3 Light town reads. A metric ton of neutrals, and 2 leaning scum. Back to Dex for aforementioned reasons, or that they used disingenuous. That's it. He references url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3984603&pagenumber=6&perpage=40#post519319687]Dex here.[/url] But that's only in response to explaining what scumbusception is, not adding anything else to his Dex reasoning. Thinking Maer is town doesn't change whether Dex is scum or not. It is a bad read when pushed for data, he can't even put together 1 read, so he falls back on his vote already in thread and tries to fluff it up and make it appear bigger.
His other scum read there is Tom. For lurking. That's it. A lurker call out as a scum pick, and someone who used the word disingenuous and voted a town read of his on D1.

Dexanth posted:

Some things feel scummy, sometimes. Maybe you are not, maybe you will develop feeling townie, but for the start, it pings me~ This is in response to Maerlyn

pls

i wish scum is my favorite role because i love manipulating the hell out of the town

unfortunately i am not

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

This vacillation on her read of Maerlyn plus the "pls" and the rest of this post reeks of faux innocence.

It's been in my head since yesterday but I forgot that people can't read my mind.

Ok, so below you acknowledge that pointing out the waffling and tone read isn't a problem. Why did I waste my time quoting the posts above? It seems like you're just making this up as you go along.

Not having early reads isn't a big deal. Not having reads and deciding to fake them and trump them up to make it look like you have reads is scummy.

He clarifies a bit here. Calling out a dex post for waffling on Maer. And for the use of pls. Tone read is a thing so this isn't a problem if we take it at face value, but it also feels like he pulled this out because he was pushed to explain his read. It feels like a post-hoc justification
Then he strolls into D2 to push Dex again.

Not really adding anything, just saying that he isn't seeing anything to make him change his position.

Setup spec is setup spec, if it doesn't get in the way of playing the game, whatever. But in his setup post, calling out Bif as a thing. He said this (snipped for the relevant bits, if you wanna see the whole thing, click the link yourself)

Bolding mine. Why call out that he is a town-monster. B was a monster that happened to be town. It feels like he is keying in on the town part to make sure you know he is one of the good monsters. It looks like someone who is self-conscious.

This bit is weak and just seems like filler

Then when I say I'm gonna case him, he gives me the scum snark.

I think we have scum here.

##vote Tobbs Gnawed

To summarize: Sandi thinks I'm scum because he doesn't believe I can form opinions without turning this thread into my own personal confessional/monologue. If I was as gung-ho and serious about the disingenuous bit I'd be voting the three other people who use it every other post. In fact, Dex's response to my post as well as backing off and vacillating on Maerlyn, plus the tone of the post, all paint a classic picture of scum behavior. To top it off, Dex never responded to my concerns which is the cherry on top, as it's also classic scum behavior to ignore cases because responding can make you a bigger target, plus it's safer to stay under the radar and watch the case go away.

So yeah, Dex is scum and I'm voting her. I don't see a good case for merk or Toal being scum. I'd vote them to avoid a no-lynch but that's a last resort in case my gut is wrong here.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Sandicap posted:

Sure, part of it is because you aren't showing your work. But it's what that is hiding that makes me think you are scum. You pushed Dex with nothing to make it seem like you have something. You keep saying it loudly so people assume you have reads. Even here you say you don't see a good case for merk and Toalp.

The Dex stuff alone isn't enough, it's that you are out of reads entirely besides that. You'll vote with others, sure. But you are missing opinions, and Dex drum you keep banging is weak as hell.

Cool cool, great point there. Gosh it's almost like my posting is similar to another player in this game. I know someone who's only voted for flipped town bee and another player I know is town, Tobbs.

That player is you, Sandi. In fact, since you casually jumped on the bee train I'd say you're the scummier of the two of us, per your own reasoning.

You're next after your scumbud Dex.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Shellception posted:

Ok, let's try and break the circle up a bit.

You've said your piece on Dex. You have also somehow OMGUSed on Grandi, or at least I assume that snippy read comes from him having been banging on your door since yesterday. That's most of your reads this game, that and not seeing nothing in neither Toal nor Merk, which is respectable.

Apart from Dex and Grandi, who'd you think is scummy here? There are a lot of returning players this D2, we've been pretty active, some cases, votes, the works. Surely anyone's tone, actions, etc. caught your eye?

I have no idea who's considered a returning player here because I could be considered a returning player.

We've already covered my thoughts on Dex. You and Toal seem genuine to me, and merk is excluded from my scumlist due to strong mechanics-related reasons.

It feels like a cop-out, but I'd like to hear more from Tom, deadmeat, and Taste. Yeah, they're the only three not voting today, but I don't have a sense of them this game.

I probably should re-read SNG because there is content there and there was a swing away from him towards bee.

The last time I played mafia I didn't have two toddlers to watch and was able to contribute a lot more, but I'm doing my best with the time I have.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Shellception posted:

Sorry, I was unclear. By "returning players" I mean a lot of people who went AWOL on content posting D1 and are now back into the game. Nothing to do with the new/returning old players issue that's raised so many complaints.

It sounds like you have very specific players in mind. You tell me who they are, I'll read them and let you know what I think.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Shellception posted:

No, not really thinking of anyone specific. I clarified because it seemed confusing, I am OK with any reads from you that aren't the person you've been tunnelling in since D1, or the one accusing you.

You've voted for two players this game, Toal and me. This isn't an accusation, just pointing out that I'm not the only person struggling to pinpoint scum.

I've got nothing decisive. My strongest scum read is Dex and I'm voting her. If you have someone else you think is worth looking at I'll make time for it, but most players I don't have an opinion on are doing a good job of flying under my radar.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Shellception posted:

Yeah, I don't usually throw votes around. Reason being, I am an Euro player with attention issues. If I vote someone I don't really think can be scum, and I forget, deadline at 4 am means that: a) in the best of cases, I'm wrong or b) at worst, I'm voting off someone without being able to read their defense and making things easier for scum. I am VERY careful with pressure votes. I unvoted Toal yesterday not because I thought they weren't scum, but because if they ARE town, I did not want my vote to be used in an hypothetical scum piledive.

That said, there is a difference between you and me.

I AM scumhunting.

##vote Tobbs

Back to voting one of your two scum picks for not having the correct arbitrary number of scum picks.

Good talk.

Also, bolded part deserves some explanation, especially since italicized part could also be translated as not wanting to look too scummy for being an early vote on a town flip. Kinda like your case on Toal, yeah?

Everyone's a hypocrite, I know that, but I'm starting to lean neutral on you for how blatant it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Shellception posted:

Nah, we can dance, if you want. I have nothing to lose. Do you?

Semantics: no, what that post says is exactly what I want it to say. If you want to interpret it, go ahead.

I asked you for reads not involving a) the person you started voting as a joke and then kept on voting as a serious thing, or b) the person who just accused you. You don't have any reads. In a 15 players game (barring the two dead), nobody else has done anything odd but those two. So you resort to looking at three lurkers, which, yeah, ARE lurking. And then when I accuse you, you turn onto me.

You are doing exactly what I do as scum.

I tried to point out that I'm doing exactly what you're doing this game. The only difference is that I'm not casing/voting your particular scum picks, one who I think is town (Toal) and one who I know is town (me). If you're scum I'm not gonna do your work for you by building a case on someone I don't think is scum.

My head is spinning. Have I been struck stupid or something because I don't see your play as being different from my own, at least with respect to the parts you're trying to use to paint me as scum.

And yes Toal, it seems our nemesissery is paused if not abolished.