Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Mountains rise and fall, and under them the Turtle swims onward. Men live and die, and the Turtle Moves. Empires grow and crumble, and the Turtle Moves. Gods come and go, and still the Turtle Moves.

The Turtle Moves.
Well, you know what, screw it. I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Mountains rise and fall, and under them the Turtle swims onward. Men live and die, and the Turtle Moves. Empires grow and crumble, and the Turtle Moves. Gods come and go, and still the Turtle Moves.

The Turtle Moves.
Oh, game started. Great. Also, lol, namechange! (I will be laughing less when my brain decides to confuse the both of you).

Anyway, see you all tomorrow, gotta sleep today. You all shitpost ahead, will catch up and spam the thread when you all are asleep :classiclol:.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Retro Futurist posted:

Whoa drat lot of old heads here.

Yeah, this game I think skews older, mafia-wise, that the handful we've had lately. As far as I can see, anyway, not that I have much of a frame of reference.

So I am here to play the part of the newbie, because someone has to, and Deadmeat still hasn't reported (Circlr I think is not that new).

How do you play this?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

t a s t e posted:

On the other hand I’d like to welcome Sandi to his first game

I am not so sure of that. I seem to remind him from somewhere... a long time ago. That may be a trick.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Hal Insandenza posted:

My new theory is we start by voting out the least experienced players and work backwards from there

Down for it, but let's get a compromise: least, then most, then least, then most. Get the game down to the median by LYLO, it's the better outcome, statistically speaking.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.
Anyway I actually gotta go sleep, so here's a question for you all to open the game up a bit.

Suppose all 17 players got a vig D1. Who'd be the last one standing?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.
##enter shop

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Sandicap posted:

Unless you are Bif, and you specifically get Yami to join a game after taking an extended break, and then shoot him d1.

:roflolmao: Down for a repeat of that. No Mods, no Masters, autogestionated threads!

merk posted:

I think these content games never find scum.

This is actually a good response too, coming from you.

Maerlyn posted:

Yay Shell! I am glad you are playing :) I hope we are on the same side but now I'm a little worried. This is not your first game so what are you talking about?

Nobody had rolled in with the old "new player here how do you play" schtick and the only younger player than me was away, so there was a niche that needed filled. Should anyone care, I've been playing/spectating for a couple months, and I still suck at this.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Ya'll need poo poo fixed come see me.

Bah. I got shiny new poo poo, don't want your old crappy poo poo.

Maerlyn posted:

I hadn't posted any stuff... You're sounding weird again RF, is that normal for you?

RF sounding weird is kinda normal. You not posting any stuff is more worrying, lol. Someone needs to help me eat the thread. Though Bif is playing, so we'll be probably OK.

b-minus1 posted:

I want to get away

Uh... well, ok? ##vote Binus

Dexanth posted:

##Vote Maerlyn

Scummy vibes, feels disingenuous in posting.

Mae plays like that, both as scum and as town. She tends to take things literally sometimes, but afaik that's not one of her scumtells (yeah, yeah, I know, meta stuff bad)

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

please don't give Bif a gun

Grandi said he preferred a 15 players or less game, so maybe Yami is actually indulging him?

(Please don't give Bif a gun. Or a sword. Or anything kille-y)

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Ya'll need poo poo fixed come see me.

This may not need highlighting but we have a lot of people that probably don't know: this is actually pretty solid town Dead behaviour. I think the only game I actually haven't seen advertise his role D1 was the one in which we were scumming together. It's not a definite 100% clear guaranteed townie thing, but it tracks with what he usually does.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Maerlyn posted:

I haven't interacted with RF much despite the number of games I've been in lately... I think we've been on opposing teams or he died early or I died early in games we've been in which may explain why I felt odd about him (somewhat unfamiliar so not sure why he was poking me, that was my perception anyway).

We may have interacted with Retro in the same three or four games, but my experience with him can be summed up as "is there, posts snarky comments, gets pointed as lurker, snarks a bit more, gets voted out". So him snarking at you is not particularly noteworthy to me. For now. Would need to see more, but that's a line I always end up using with him, and I haven't had any success so far.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.
Also this shop is getting crowded, what about social distancing? I bet there's not even hydroalcoholic gel in there. Come on people, there is a queue!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

I know why you're doing this, but the broken formatting schtick is playing hell with my brain. I just keep seeing it and wanting to edit it to be not broken, and then I realize a) no editing on maf and b) that's not even my post, wtf.

So, if it's some kind of psychological warfare, well done, it's working.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.
I think that's everyone inside now, so hope we get to see what this is about soon.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Toalpaz posted:

how is every nyan today

drat cold. Winter winds making everything uncomfortable. And it's not even that cold, this drat city is just not built for winter.

Toalpaz posted:

there are a lot of older players or alt accounts. Instead of being forced to play the game properly I'm just not going to read them and hope they kill me or they are killed. fyi all.

Just three. Have played way worse games in terms of unknowns. You can still go to town on the other 13.

Also, who's an alt account? Lol

PlasticAutomaton posted:

it's me I am secretly Anidav

Way too little words, sorry. Also the Anidav mafia thread signup is somewhere else.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.
Forums are very slow at the moment, btw. No idea if it's just on my end.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Toalpaz posted:

Listen.

Up.

These are content lurking scum. Shell... For posting very awkwardly and poorly. Tobbs for parroting other people's words.

Discuss.

There's just not much you can post about on a day when everyone's jumping out of jokephase and just posting how they enter a shop.

That said, sure feel Tobbs sounded a bit awkward in there. I don't think Binus is scummy-sounding for now (I voted him because he posted an odd sounding "I want out of here" and I wanted to indulge him). I have seen Binus be scum just once in USSR, and there he played in a very distinct way that's not showed up here. Which, to be honest, means nothing, and less so with the amount of posting Binus has done for now.

That said, how the hell can anyone be sure this is town Binus? Why are you betting so hard on a random player's innocence? I am less than enthusiastic about voting a returning player out D1, but I have been burned in that before. I'd like a response there, please.

##vote Tobbs

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.
You want something else that's also been bothering me, even in a non-content day?

Hal Insandenza posted:

But do they originate from scum?

Hal Insandenza posted:

Pretty sus of Maerlyn now

Hal starts up the day being questioning, playing aggresively and poking people from the door. I was a bit surprised, but I'm not about to question anyone trying to move things out of jokephase, even if it is by throwing things out and seeing what sticks. But then:

Hal Insandenza posted:

I maybe could see it if I look real hard

Hal Insandenza posted:

Whats up, lets wreck these scum

... where is the follow-up? Do you not sus Mae or me, or anyone else, anymore? Surely now there's more content on the table, you should be able to articulate how you feel about your earlier reads?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Maerlyn posted:

Considering Dex seems town minded (sus of me and their reasoning didn't sound fake) I'm not sure why binus is thinking Dex is scum. I'll ask for a reason from binus but I don't know that I'll get one.

I would also like an update on this, although I know asking Binus for that is a crapshoot at the very best. Town Binus usually has a good nose for odd-sounding things. But Dex is sounding completely town to me too, she's actually prodded Mae at a point I would also have, if I didn't knew Mae is very prone to literally reading things, because that sequence of posts was actually awkward. So if there is anything here, please explain? If not, I feel good with trusting Dex for now.

Incidentally, even if it is a gut feeling: while she has fooled me hard before, and will fool me hard again, I feel a scum Mae would police herself way harder, if nothing else to avoid a repeat of Beezel's D1 lunch (where she started with a VT claim that got tangled with scum intervention, literalcy kicked in from both sides, it became a snowball and she was voted out D1 - she WAS VT).

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Bifauxnen posted:

Tobbs did make that town call on binus surprisingly early but why would a scum wanna white knight binus?

I can see it as calling town on someone that can be seen as a good early lurker lunch, so you get fast D2 town cred from that. But other than that I got nothing, it is just awkward sounding. And awkward sounding sunk scum last time I played, so I'm going with that for now.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Good. Now, please, can you give your opinion on what's going on in the thread? We don't need a thesis, but I want to hear your thoughts, please.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I wish bee and I were scumbros and this was scumbusception.

Stupidest thing ever to be asked on a thread, probably, but... uhhhhh that's referring to me?

At first I read it like that, then I decided no, probably "scumbusception = two scum voting each other", then I realized none of you actually voted or sussed the other AND I voted Binus as a throwaway thing.

I have definitely been called Scumception before. By scummates, even. And I don't have too many past scummates, and even less ones playing this time, so that statement is actually making me a tad nervous.

What gives?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

In the morning if I can think straight, sure. Everything's a jumbled mess right now.

Aight, sure, sorry. Forgot it's stupid late over there. I am at work doing absolutely jackshit nothing and sleeping sounds real nice to me right now.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Bifauxnen posted:

My previous job had a lot of jackshit nothing time, this was the height of my mafia career.

I just noticed we don't actually have any deadline set, so this might be a long D1 at this rate...

We depend on a) University professors actually wanting to do research, and b) expensive, delicate equipment not breaking and requiring urgent fixes at stupid times. When there is work there is a lot of it, but when there's not there's nothing at all.

Also lol at the deadline thing. Mafia Groundhog day!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.
One more thing. I do need a townie for tonight. You don't need to do anything and I am not looking for volunteers, probably won't take them anyway. But time keeps passing, we shouldn't be that far from deadline now, and my town reads are all at the "meh" level of confidence. I can hand out a boon tonight, I want that boon to go to someone who'll use it well, and I don't really want it to land on scum.

So, if people would start actually playing, so I can get some reliable town reads, that'd be a nice help.

Thank you.

(I realize I am opening myself to blocks or whatever else can be around, but if scum really wants to spend a block on me, well, you do you)

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

merk posted:

I’ll volunteer

To play? Why, thank you!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Bee movie's "you could not be more wrong" seemed super cocky and confident and came across as genuine. Maybe he's gotten more deceptive lately but it feels real to me.

Scumbusception is bee saying I'm bussing Dex, but in so saying, were bee and I scum together, it could be interpreted as a scumbus within a scumbus.

Ergo scumbusception. No relation to scumception apart from similarity of the made-up-words.

Now let me drink coffee in peace.

Thank you. It seemed far-fetched enough but it caught my eye. i like my name, but for this I'll blame the mod who namechanged me into a tongue-twister.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I wish bee and I were scumbros and this was scumbusception.

Alas we are town.

Toalpaz is my nemesis so calling me out is alignment neutral.

I'll try to chuck out some reads tomorrow. I just finished assembling and calibrating a 3d printer which took up most of two days and I am BEAT.

Now, please, when you are all coffee'd up, I at least would like to hear some thoughts.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

what does the boon do?

Something I'd like town to learn in due time, please.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

(snipped for clarity, click for full)

Lean scum:

Tom due to disappeariness

Dex for aforementioned reasons plus my town read of Maer

Uh, your aforementioned reasons were:

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Know what kind of people say disingenuous?

scum

##vote Dexanth

I'll say I am not a fan of Grandi's pounce, either. It jumped at me yesterday, moreso coming from an usually wordy player. But whatever that was about, it's not a bus, or is the most cold-blooded one I've ever seen. You're not both scum. And we need to start unraveling that mess from one of the extremes.

And, really, you're not making me confident in your towniness. Sorry. I am not sure if you are seriously defending Dex is scum because she used a word, or I am suffering from literal brain too, but that does not sound well. What, exactly, do you see in Dex's play that makes you think scum?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

On one hand, only scum can have confident town reads on day 1, on the other hand this is a really weird certain statement from Shell this early.

How do you know that? It feels like this is something designed to set up a lunch on both players.

Unless you want to argue that Grandi threw Tobbs under the bus with almost no pressure on either of them, no, I really don't think we're looking at a bus. Which means the two of them aren't scum. One can be. Maybe neither is.

The way to know that is to apply pressure on one, or the other. I chose. I am open to changing sides if it turns out that pressing Tobbs makes him come out sounding town, or that whatever Retro and Binus are doing to Grandi makes Grandi react as scum. Or go look elsewhere if both end up sounding like town.

Hoping anyone to have a strictly defined side after a day of nothing-content is kind of hard.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

On one hand, only scum can have confident town reads on day 1, on the other hand this is a really weird certain statement from Shell this early.

How do you know that? It feels like this is something designed to set up a lunch on both players.

Also, Plastic, I suppose you are busy now and all, but since you are around here: anything to note on anyone, apart from that ping of mine?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Sandicap posted:

You spectated Squid Game. You know early busses for no reason can be a thing.

I'm not scum, I don't know about Tobbs, but that is where my vote is now. But throwing this out as not in the realm of possibility isn't a great look.

I think you are just wrong here, but part of me wonders if you are on a scum team with Tobbs and are using a me flip, which you see gaining momentum, as a way to make Tobbs look better.

I am not there yet, but am absolutely going to revisit if we get a scum Tobbs flip.

Don't let me forget thread!

Alright, so you are town. You are doubting my affirmation that I don't believe both of you aren't scum. You know what, I'll give you that, early busses can be a thing. So let's throw the possibility in. It actually changes very little.

But, that said, let's look at what I said earlier, if you mind. I said "both are not scum".

Then, suppose I am scum with Tobbs and I am setting this up so, when you flip, he is cleared. Except you will, as per your word, flip town. How'd my words, then, clear Tobbs? Who is the person I am pressing right now, mind you.

Want to say it's me doing the bus on Tobbs? If so, go ahead. But you're not, you are saying I want to clear him. What is it?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Shellception posted:

Alright, so you are town. You are doubting my affirmation that I don't believe both of you aren't scum.

This sure is a phrase I wrote. Holy hell. This should read "You are doubting my affirmation that I don't believe both of you are scum". I wrote that while someone was speaking Spanish at me, and I apparently forgot how double negatives work in English. Ugh.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

It's Day 1, I never try day 1 unless I'm suspicious of Bif. :colbert:

But in all seriousness, I'm trying to avoid any early calls because there's three players here I've never played with, so I don't really have a sense of them yet. Which is unfortunate because two of them are randomly sticking up for other players as definitely town already.

I'll give you that, playing without metadata is harder. But there are some names being thrown around that you definitely have played with. No opinion in those, either?

Also, I am eating the thread, which is something I promised myself I wouldn't do again. So I'll stop with the longposts now. You all go ahead with whatever, because we are not going to learn anything if the only voice sticking out is mine. The lurkers still get lurkier, and I get no data on what worries me now, which is finding a reliable townie.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Toalpaz posted:

It's okay shell, thread has just fully accepted that d1 is mostly pointless and I am HERE for it.

Hope it's just D1. Last time you looked so laid-back and relaxed, two people went up in flames.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.
Not sure about the SNG push. They did (performatively, sure) not enter the shop when everybody was already inside, everybody presumably including scum, unless we have the smallest scum team in history. Why draw attention to themselves that way if they had anything to hide?

Other than that, it seems like a push to lunch a lurker. Which, eh. It's not like half the game isn't lurking at this point, so it doesn't really make me feel too comfortable.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.

Tom Tucker posted:

(snipped paragraphs for clarity, click for full)

In addition - Merk volunteering to be the "townie" for the boon reads townie to me as well. If we start from the idea that Shell is town then would scum immediately try to grab the boon? I lean towards scum being more hesitant. Receiving an unknown boon puts eyes on you, and you'd be expected to use it in a pro-town way, it opens up scum to more problems than it solves. If you imagine Shell is scum then you'd have to imagine this would be a coordinated double-scum move to offer a boon then ask for it which is too convoluted for day 1 in my view.

Merk volunteering himself is a joke. I was tempted to post the request after I poked him the day before, and ask him if he wanted to volunteer, but that felt like being an rear end for no reason whatsoever so I didn't. I appreciated it, tho.

Other than that, he's not playing much if at all. Which is whatever. Merk is actually one of the folks I'd (personally) give a pass for not contributing D1, he's usually no coaster. Same goes for Bif, Toal and, despite what I said earlier, Grandi. They're all people that will usually play, so I am comfortable giving them space and not pushing for a D1 lunch unless it's clear something is wrong there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The Turtle Moves.
Also, I cannot leave the shop because someone is standing on my foot. Please move around a bit.