Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Knowing the votecount right now before I start to spend the evening with my wife and likely not catch up before deadline is critical to my role

Does anyone know it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
If I build a votecount by hand here, I am going to be 2005 livid.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I’m going to bed soon. Let’s get votes down.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote b-
##doublevote b-

:redhammer:

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Hi

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Retro Futurist posted:

I personally wouldn't touch someone else's vote, but what is your concern exactly? Whoever did it put it where you'd intended, no?

I would never myself and never be involved in gamesmanship surrounding vote fuckery. I’ve replaced out of games for much much less from others where I was tangentially involved.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

sandnavyguy posted:

Promise it’s not my villainous breakdown. There’s be a lot more background music and waxing poetic. That said, I would like to hear from Merk as well. That double vote power is interesting, but it wasn’t a close enough call for them to feel pressured to use it. In addition, using a vote power that quick that early paints a giant target, a very risky move in a game that will be as long or drawn out as this, which scum didn’t pounce on.

I was going to bed.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

sandnavyguy posted:

I mean, that’s fair for the timing of voting, but not for showing your hand so early in the game.

Am I scum for it or what? I don’t care how you think I played this as town.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Great. I’m town. Good talk.

I’m not going to enter the shop today.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Toalpaz posted:

##vote b-

Pensive running out of time just voting vote leader. Goodluck all.

SNG was also a vote leader when you made this post. Why b- over SNG?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Dexanth posted:

Okay given it is close to deadline

##Vote B-

Scumlist RN would be B-, Hal, Toal, SNG if I had to guess

B- gets the first on this now because I don't see any momentum on Hal besides me and I think they read as more disingenuous than SNG

SNG feels scummy but could also just be lovely town

basically I have a Lumpen-style read on SNG right now for my fellow Ancient Mafia players

This is a very carefully crafted list. The Toal thing kind of looks like distancing with one flavor-like slip comment on Toal only.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I hate doing this, but the scum team looks like Dex, SNG and Toal.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Toal just isn't scum hunting. They are active in the thread doing things, but none of it is helpful. They joined the b- vote without explanation beyond 'voting the leader' and without explaining why b- over SNG.

From a meta perspective, Toal by now would be coming up with some wild theory about the game based on role or flavor. They have done none of that. They are just treading water.

##vote Toal; ##doublevote Toal

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
It's a role madness game and TOAL has said nothing material about role yet. If that isn't the best meta case I've ever made, I don't know what could be better.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Bifauxnen posted:

Now why would you hate doing that

Every case is independent of every other case. Those three neatly fit together this game in a way that isn't normal for me to comment on.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Bifauxnen posted:

Lake house scum
Won't you come
And make a better caaaaaaaaaaase
Lake house scum
Won't you come
Won't you come

The lake house is now closed for the year.

ninja: That's not entirely true, but most of the boats are out of the water.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Bif, look at Toal this game and tell me whether they are town or scum.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Bifauxnen posted:

Don't have the hypertown vibes yet, no fuckin idea what scum Toal looks like though

But I know your scum game loooooves just goin balls out to secure those hammers though hey

And you really shoulda known better about binus hey, wouldn't you say?

##vote merk

Ok I guess

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Shellception posted:

Aight, I have a question. Probably a stupid one, but bear with me. Game gets different when you aren't watching it happen and are waking up to done deeds instead.

What was the thought process behind the double vote hammer?

I was trying to get content moving earlier in the day. It wasn’t really happening. Someone said they hoped the shop would help drive content, but that wasn’t happening either.

Votecount was 4 (b-) to 3 (SNG) with just a few hours to go.

I wanted to make sure we got an elimination d1 to at least have some discussion today, so I tossed my votes near deadline.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Shellception posted:

I can tell you they've played next to zilch, if that helps. I don't like silent Toal (as in, not making ANY sort of game comments), it's not a good augury.

What's giving me pause on them is that they're drawing attention to themselves. Their posting looks like not doing nothing, but doing so in a way it gets them looked at. This seems odd to me. If you (as scum) are going to coast, then you coast, if not, you usually try to at least look like you're trying. Calling attention to themselves in a way that says "look at me, I am NOT PLAYING" is what's not fitting to me.

To me, the content speaks for itself. Toal joined the b- vote with no reason and no explanation for why they didn’t vote SNG. Toal isn’t scum hunting. Toal, from a meta perspective, would’ve done something wild by now as town.

It’s not Toal’s town game.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Bifauxnen posted:

He fired all his votes off so totally shameless
Cause everyone knows that he's mafia famous
He gripes about Toal he should look in the mirror
I'm on the right track, yeah I'm onto a winner

Your diss tracks need work
Stop being a jerk
A weak case on Merk
I see you content lurk

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Bifauxnen posted:

You need to listen to more Lily Allen

And to scumdoc scoffing at you for calling me a content lurker

It was the fourth bar and I was grasping!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Retro Futurist posted:

I don't think merk is right about toal, but as mafia's leading merk expert I'd have to say this not merk's scum game.

Who is scum then?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Sandicap posted:

You are the worst. Phone posting is worster, I can't understand people who use that as their primary mafia method.
I think I might just be an old man.

Now you know lakehouse merk!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

Now you know lakehouse merk!

Well, if you were posting with a corona in your hand and laughing at your own jokes, then you’d truly know lakehouse merk.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Sandicap posted:

Well, I guess if no one else will laugh at them, you do what you have to do.

Lol

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Toal is scum.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I’m not unvoting Toal for the rest of the game. I control two votes.

Good luck.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I would consider other people. I was trying to get something going in the game because it feels stagnant.

The only read from it is RF feels town for kind of switching his read on a meta point. It didn't do much else.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

sandnavyguy posted:

Alright, so a few days have passed and there’s been some good traction on different points.

No one is even looking at this yet, because there are so many people still alive, but important for later shenanigans if it gets that far, Based on the conversation right now, I feel Toal and merk aren’t scum buddies. I don’t read this as a bus and I feel the merk early vote was scummy, as I said before, but I wanted to dig into the other issues first before I throw a vote down.

Sandi just made that post on Tobbs, and they make good points, though I definitely feel the first points are their weakest. D1 lists are almost always light on content/actual reads, cause nothing really has happened yet, especially on a D1 like this one was. The good point is like to highlight here is the constant pressure on Dex that doesn’t really pan out. Sending calls and responses as early as D1 with the possible Bif signaling is bold, but claiming yourself as monster, one of the few realeased roles so far that happens to also be partly night immune is awfully convenient if Tobbs were scum. The other points sandi have I’m kind of meh on, such as the snark. Tone reading is difficult when you haven’t played a lot with someone so I’ll count that out.

Now for a read that’s not just summarizing others. Yay scumhunting. I think that Tobbs is distancing themselves from Merk by supporting Toal and by proxy toals views on merk, without talking or discussing merk, and that merk and Tobbs are scumbuds.

If merk flips scum, Tobbs is next on my list.

##vote merk

I’d be willing to vote Tobbs as well for now.

This is an odd vote because it doesn't really say anything about me. It instead analyzes connections to me.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Dexanth posted:

I have 0 interest in voting merk RN.

...and unless this is a cop softclaim, this feels scummy because it does not analyze what I was doing at all; yet, the comment knows that I am town.

##vote Dex; ##doublevote Dex

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Sandicap posted:

Ok, let's talk Tobbs.

D1, super standard, low effort callout of Dex. Sure, it isn't a good callout, it's a keyword search, but it's d1, who cares.

So then Tobbs lists. And I love lists, but this one is contentless. All sound and no fury. Faking reads is hard, so Tobbs just didn't. He put together this milquetoast screed that says nothing.

Let's break it down. 3 Light town reads. A metric ton of neutrals, and 2 leaning scum. Back to Dex for aforementioned reasons, or that they used disingenuous. That's it. He references url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3984603&pagenumber=6&perpage=40#post519319687]Dex here.[/url] But that's only in response to explaining what scumbusception is, not adding anything else to his Dex reasoning. Thinking Maer is town doesn't change whether Dex is scum or not. It is a bad read when pushed for data, he can't even put together 1 read, so he falls back on his vote already in thread and tries to fluff it up and make it appear bigger.
His other scum read there is Tom. For lurking. That's it. A lurker call out as a scum pick, and someone who used the word disingenuous and voted a town read of his on D1.

Not having early reads isn't a big deal. Not having reads and deciding to fake them and trump them up to make it look like you have reads is scummy.

He clarifies a bit here. Calling out a dex post for waffling on Maer. And for the use of pls. Tone read is a thing so this isn't a problem if we take it at face value, but it also feels like he pulled this out because he was pushed to explain his read. It feels like a post-hoc justification
Then he strolls into D2 to push Dex again.

Not really adding anything, just saying that he isn't seeing anything to make him change his position.

Setup spec is setup spec, if it doesn't get in the way of playing the game, whatever. But in his setup post, calling out Bif as a thing. He said this (snipped for the relevant bits, if you wanna see the whole thing, click the link yourself)

Bolding mine. Why call out that he is a town-monster. B was a monster that happened to be town. It feels like he is keying in on the town part to make sure you know he is one of the good monsters. It looks like someone who is self-conscious.

Then when I say I'm gonna case him, he gives me the scum snark.

I think we have scum here.

##vote Tobbs Gnawed

Good case here, and I would vote with it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
My prod of Toal at least caused them to do more. I'm not sure where I'm at now with Toal.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Dexanth posted:

Given they are the only player actively scumhunting, strong town feels on Shell so far

##Vote Hal

Memory serves from ages ago Hal likes lurking as scum.

I am also kind of sus of Merk because Merk LOVES scumhunting so this like memeposting feels off

Maerlyn I still don't feel great about but willing to listen to other people telling me that's just who they are for now.

Flagging this as kind of sus because it's a classic example of sounding helpful while not actually doing anything of substance; good way for scum to coast while trying to seem townie, because then they dont have to fake reads

Again, this post super bothers me. It has a wrong Hal meta point, a wrong merk meta point, a Shell town read, and nothing more. This is the type of post scum would make to try to appear helpful while not changing the scum hunting movement of the game at all.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
My role has nothing to do with hammering. I will not hammer today to demonstrate how I do not care.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
To restate my Toal case again, the primary point is that Toal was content lurking. This was emboldened by a meta point on Toal.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm going to be gone most of the day. Good luck if you eliminate me!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I would be fine eliminating Toal still. Not sure exactly where I am on their alignment right now though.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I shifted my Toal read because they posted more and I haven’t thought a ton about the new posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
And right now, the combination of that Dex d1 post that adds nothing and the naked call that I’m town without more is the best case out there.