Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I will join I am now free of games but I don't know this theme or what role madness is so I'm going to be the wet blanket examining voting trends and logical fallacies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Everyone has a role?! But that's madness!!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Dexanth posted:

im going to play this day without reading my role

itll be like an isekai where i dont know my power

That's dumb

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Dexanth posted:

have you met me though

We should all try to play Mafia well to maximize our team's chances of winning that's the secret to having a fun game of Mafia none of this other nonsense

I think you need to take things more seriously.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Look at all you capitalist sheep running in to review the latest blood-soaked trinkets built on exploited labor.

##enter shop

I'm coming in too but I want it clear I'm doing it ironically.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

What's the currency of this universe? Is it gold?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Getting a chance to dig in today here's some early thoughts.

Shellception reads town to me. If scum can hand out boons the immediate instinct would be to hand it to themselves thus a voluntary early soft-claim feels townie. Contorting yourself I can imagine scum who would volunteer this to appear townie or some sort of role which requires them to deliver "boons" outside the scum group but these contortions are uncomfortable - a more probable explanation is Shell is playing it a bit fast and loose as a non-critical town role. Reads town to me.

In addition - Merk volunteering to be the "townie" for the boon reads townie to me as well. If we start from the idea that Shell is town then would scum immediately try to grab the boon? I lean towards scum being more hesitant. Receiving an unknown boon puts eyes on you, and you'd be expected to use it in a pro-town way, it opens up scum to more problems than it solves. If you imagine Shell is scum then you'd have to imagine this would be a coordinated double-scum move to offer a boon then ask for it which is too convoluted for day 1 in my view.

Thus I get good vibes from both Shell and Merk.

Retro Futurist is pinging me but only slightly. The initial post throwing suspicion on Grandi then coming back and voting for Grandi doesn't seem super genuine. However RF does draw attention to this by quoting themselves... I feel this could go both ways but the self-quote to escalate an earlier suspicion into a vote is just hitting my gut. I don't have a much better reason and don't feel too strongly.

B minus is pinging me as scum. Low-content posting, and posts that jump to strong conclusions without real justification (particularly the below which presumes the scum status of two people in a single read).

b-minus1 posted:

This looks like a scumbus:

From there B minus says they read Grandi as scum before voting me. All sound and fury, not helpful, throwing suspicion everywhere, and inconsistent.

Other callouts include:

Sandnavyguy - trying to fly under the radar, the shop post feels super weird.
Taste - hoping for shop resolution to spark content defers blame from those not providing content (including them!)
Deadmeat5150 - throwing hands up early day 1 with "nothing is really jumping out at me", and vote on Grandi (sandi) reads forced onto a bandwagon.

Overall best gut right now is ##vote Bminus

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I too would vote SNG

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Hal Insandenza posted:

Oh you did say you didn’t like the shop post, that one seemed pretty innocent to me though

The general vibe is they're flying under the radar intentionally. Sort of a hypocritical thing for me to say since I haven't been around but what can ya do?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Also it’s one thing to not go in the shop it’s another thing to performatively not go in the shop

Same doesn’t go backwards since going into the shop required a post

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Sorry I haven't been around much - when I get busy I mostly have time to put in real effort in the early afternoons, same as yesterday.

Seeing my name coming up a bunch in lists as someone scummy without a ton of votes behind it. Doesn't bother me but SNG and B Minus's efforts around it totally do.

For B Minus - they voted for me with zero reason and are now just justifying it after the fact. The post saying SNG's vote is a "good vote" is such nonsense. B Minus has stuck their cart out and SNG is only perfectly happy to be the horse behind it.
For SNG the whole vote itself is bad, see below.

sandnavyguy posted:

Good morning! So, let me posit some things now that I’m on lunch~

Hal is posting like hal normally does on day 1, a little more actively than usual but I’ll chalk that up to and I don’t begrudge anyone for voting a lurker D1, beyond the usual grumbles that it’s a lazy vote. Especially given a solid half the player base would qualify.

Tommy is my vote today. Gave some strong reads, long posts, then disappeared. This isn’t a hypocritical lurker post, it’s that a power move with reads first, stir the pot for town cred and then no follow up is a good scum play on a D1 this slow.

##vote Tom Tucker

I come in and put more content and more reads into a single post than most people have done this game and SNG is knocking me for "disappearin" or "stirring the pot". Literally saying who you get town or scum reads on is the basis of the game and tons of other people are doing it but because they spread out their lesser reads across multiple posts (where they can get lost) it's fine, but I do mine all at once, thus drawing more attention to them and sparking more interaction, and it's "disappearing?" No, that's nonsense, and SNG's post is nonsense.

B minus has behaved totally arbitrarily and scummy with zero content and has made a vote on me, utterly unjustified (this isn't hyperbole the post was only a vote and the first time they had brought me up) and now that I "feel" like a valid alternative because others have put me in their "scum vibe" lists (with no reason I may add weird as hell - whenever I make a large post and mention someone I at least show em the respect of saying why I think they're scum or town but oh well) meaning they feel some vague momentum could be built there.

B minus and SNG both highly scum read, would prefer B Minus due to the zero content and backwards-justification of a vote once it became popular but would vote SNG as well due to somehow calling my scum hunting a "power move" to justify pushing onto a strong contender to distract from them.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

sandnavyguy posted:

Yes. Like I said, it was the timing of his long post, which reads as town, followed by silence despite the tightening deadline, in tandem with the slow and content light day 1, I see that as a scum play. With most of the other lurkers, their posts aren’t as curated for maximum use if they were scum playing.

Curious if you can elaborate on this. My posts are "curated for maximum use"? I don't understand what that means, and other players don't do this if they are scum?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

It's nonsense because you're knocking me for quantity rather than quality

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

This "pattern" thing is nonsense dude you're saying posting fewer higher-content posts is scummier than more lower-content posts? That doesn't make sense I'd say the opposite is true - it's 100x easier to fly under the radar by making 30 zero-content posts than 1 high-content post.

For an example look at B minus!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

sandnavyguy posted:

That’s not what I’m saying? At all?

So it's the time I'm posting? That's just when I'm usually free during the day. That pattern?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Toalpaz posted:

To be frank, putting in effort IS scummy. ##vote Tom

Then you can call me MR. SCUM because I take Mafia the most seriously.

Would vote SMG still.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Who has that old alignment chart from 2012 where they graphed everyone based on serious vs. not serious

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Is the votecount right? I could have sworn SNG and me had way more votes.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I'm around hyped about the B Minus momentum keep it going folks

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I'm sorry are we supposed to "get used" to players playing objectively like scum?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I think today I shall not enter the shop.

SNG getting a lot of momentum early which I get but also throws me a little bit. Wondering how many people pushed B Minus without really voting or hard pushing B Minus. I will try to go back and look through. The Launch felt like it had more momentum than votes.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Yeah that last post by Tobbs was super scummy it deflects Bifs suspicions but not with direct attack but by placing themselves above the accusation as an observer

Thus implying innocence by oblique casting of suspicion

I don’t like it. Will need to look Tobbs over.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Merk's stubbornness is iffy but honestly Toal's response is odd - Toal I haven't read in deep detail this day where's the meta read Merk is pinning on you?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Yeah ignoring the whole first half of that post to just call it a "meta case" is pretty disingenuous Merk makes some good points in that first line

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Looking at Dex:

Day 1 vote on Hal "Memory serves from ages ago Hal likes lurking as scum." partially excusable since it's day 1 but overall I just don't like it.

Dex's posts day 1 also just have a kind of manic vibe - like a Professor Plum "pressure of speech" sort of situation.

Then Hal is kinda dropped as Dex goes through other posts before coming back to Hal but actually makes an OK point about Hal in the process.

The move from Hal to B Minus near deadline also feels ok to me - the post includes lots of reads and overall just has a good amount of effort.

Overall I get townish vibes from Dex

On the other hand Toal's whole vibe reads scummy to me. Day 1 is filled with zero-content posts like saying "that sucks" when someone's power is out or saying the thread has agreed day 1 is pointless, plus toooons of posts about the shop. Just joking about the shop nonstop. Toal throws off vibes day 1 of just being preoccupied with the shop but playing everything off as "it's day 1 lol nothing matters". Very scummy.

The first content post we really have is Toal listing 3 people as scum / town reads with almost zero justification.

Then a sudden softclaim saying "I won't be visiting anyone"... why? What does this gain? If it does gain something, why not earlier?

Then defensive about the B minus launch for some reason and then vote analysis which feels super forced.

I feel it's Toal who is scum here.

##vote Toal

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I'd rather consolidate onto someone who isn't Dex since this slow launch makes me feel nervous with Dex the frontrunner. I didn't like SNG yesterday either so I think we should consolidate there.

##vote SNG

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I don't like the Dex case and think the momentum and energy around is weird and as a result would prefer another launch with SNG being my secondary preference over Toalpax

Is that not clear?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

merk posted:

Vote toalpaz then and be the change. There is time.

Dude my vote was ALREADY on Toal YOU'RE the one who moved off it

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Merk you're being a butt like I feel I'm taking crazy pills here you were one of the ones making me look at Toal in the first place

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

UGH ##vote Toal

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Taste sitting here with no vote TASTE. GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

The jump onto nothing yesterday was easy this one is hard and also has been a leading candidate all day and never really moved much sandy launches are oft scum launches

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I will swap to SNG if it drags this motley bumblefuck of a town across a deadline

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Like I think both Toal and SNG are scummy I really don't have a lose here yet it feels like pulling teeth.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

##vote SNG

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I believe the jailing claim which does indeed put a new light on Dex

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Shop is overrated

I'm still suspicious of Toal and don't want that to get lost in the shuffle

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

If anyone is a monster and wants some sweet sweet upgrades let me know!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

merk posted:

My role is obvious so I’ll claim flavor. I’m “the king.”

This makes you a societal monster but not one for the game sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker