Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colorfinger
Feb 5, 2001

World Famous W posted:

Edit: just a curiosity, since you're the first person I've talked to that has music up on it,do you get a list of those who followed or just some sort of monthly tally?

I actually have no idea. There's some kind of stats that you can look at ("Spotify for Artists") but I've never dug into it. I just use it like slightly fancy web hosting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I always really loved Flash Tub. It was the main thing that kept me coming back to SA, before I was even aware there was a forum. Thanks Colorfinger.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
Ah man the old colorfinger sings for the Internet were great, I actually found a partial recording of one from years ago and still occasionally play it on long car journeys. You rock and thx for all the cool stuff you've done over the years

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
love this alternate take of hopkin green frog. i think of hopkin green frog too often.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

People were asking, Flip Top Box is Nermal McLarge remixed (?) by the Huggsville Horror

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Hey Colorfinger, haven't seen you in a bit! Hope things are great for you and thanks for all the good music over the years.

WhyZodiac
Oct 29, 2015

Ramrod XTreme

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I own the rights for anything that Something Awful LLC owned the rights for, and I hereby grant you the unlimited right to do whatever the hell you want with anything you created that I happen to own the rights for. Thank you for your service.

According to The Sun, you are just YOSPOS now.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/celebrities/16707416/richard-lowtax-kyankas-ex-wife-megan-austin/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

we all knew it was going to happen

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hahahaha gently caress thats the poo poo right there

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
As it should be. Jeffrey the man died that fateful day on the field of battle, leaving behind only a computer programmer turd

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Oil of Paris posted:

As it should be. Jeffrey the man died that fateful day on the field of battle, leaving behind only a computer programmer turd

:hmmyes:

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
Hey dude, nice to see you around again.

I own the rights for anything that Something Awful LLC owned the rights for, and I hereby grant you the unlimited right to do whatever the hell you want with anything you created that I happen to own the rights for. Thank you for your service.
Bizarro lowtax should be called hightax

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

late to this party but I greatly enjoyed your random music streams youd do once in a blue moon and play some fun bullshit and requests for an hour or two, so thank for for those! You are a wonderful and talented dude

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
oh man, loved your work and I remember really wanting to collaborate with ya back in the day. your tracks and audio just always felt so conspicuously good for internet projects, set such strong foundations for the visuals to draw upon

Colorfinger posted:

also not to unduly poo poo on the recently deceased, but I want to also mention this here to get it off my chest and make it "public" to anybody who might even vaguely care... anyway here's the thing:

despite me doing all the work that I did for free for SA, Lowtax continued to hassle me for additional free work in recent years, including after I unfriended him by going through other people. when I shut him down, he decided to badmouth me publicly and then lie about paying me with a VST (spoiler: he never bought me anything) and claiming that this meant I somehow owed him to work on future projects (???). this one's odd, because a) if he had paid me with a VST, that would've been payment for work already completed, and b) he didn't buy me a VST. I kind of don't want the last public interaction between me and him to make it look like I was trying to screw him over, so here's what really happened:

Asking me to do music for Doom House 3
Me politely declining to write new stuff, and giving other pre-written tracks
Him messaging me through somebody else after I unfriended him
His reaction when I literally just said "No thank you."
His Facebook post accusing me of being terrible because I didn't want to work with him

anyway, here's wonderwall
holy poo poo, you didn't get any pay for the vast majority of this stuff?? how the hell did lowtax justify that on any level haha, especially during the good times with site cash flow? that's criminal and you deserved better

https://www.colorfinger.net/sa/nostalgia/spaghetti.mp3
this rocks, feels like real evocative overworld map music in a techno-western apocalyptic setting, once ya unlock the cyber horse / improved travel or whatever, love it

https://www.colorfinger.net/sa/nostalgia/songofmeat.mp3
did this ever get an animation? i'm generally busy as poo poo any more so no idea when i'd put it together, but it feels like something that'd be pleasant to animate for fun and come up with meat concepts if you'd be okay with that. any excuse to play with meat imo

do you still do contract audio work For Actual Money? or random creative ditty type things? again busy as hell but it'd be fun to do some small simple creative things, and might have some projects down the road that could pay you for track creation if you'd be interested

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'll stab my grandma for a new Everdraed set to the soothing sounds of Colorfinger!

please dont ask me to stab grandma

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Do you have a recording of the fragmaster tomtom voice working correctly? even the glitched out one cracks me up

Which one went "I'm pete pippers, I love strippers. I'm a fire punching lawyer-astronaut"? that one was catchy

e: https://www.colorfinger.net/sa/nostalgia/shmorky_and_colorfinger_who_am_i.mp3

lol

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 14, 2021

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Vim Fuego posted:

Do you have a recording of the fragmaster tomtom voice working correctly? even the glitched out one cracks me up

Which one went "I'm pete pippers, I love strippers. I'm a fire punching lawyer-astronaut"? that one was catchy

e: https://www.colorfinger.net/sa/nostalgia/shmorky_and_colorfinger_who_am_i.mp3

lol

The full animation is here on Lowtax's YouTube along with other flashtubs. We may wish to archive these now that I'm thinking of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NNt2BkL5sU

wait I'm watching this one and I'm not sure it's the same peezleward anymore. It's on this YouTube someplace.

edit: no it is in this one I remembered correct.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Nov 14, 2021

Colorfinger
Feb 5, 2001

Everdraed posted:

oh man, loved your work and I remember really wanting to collaborate with ya back in the day.

Thanks! I'm a huge fan of your work and always wanted to work on something with you too.

Everdraed posted:

holy poo poo, you didn't get any pay for the vast majority of this stuff??

Nope! I got paid for Doom House and Mood House. I asked for archives access too as payment for doing work for the site and Lowtax told me "take it out of the money you got for Doom House".

Everdraed posted:

https://www.colorfinger.net/sa/nostalgia/songofmeat.mp3
...it feels like something that'd be pleasant to animate for fun and come up with meat concepts...

If you want to / have time do it as a fun side thing, please do!!! If love to see what you come up with.

Everdraed posted:

do you still do contract audio work For Actual Money?

I do! I am (I think) a lot better at production now than I used to be. This year I've been working on a (goon) game called Outworlder, a TV pilot called Mac & Watson, and a new Mega64 project. I can't show you the latter two because they're not released yet, but Outworlder is on Steam and YouTube if youre interested in hearing it. I also made this remix of Kitboga for fun:

https://youtu.be/-My3OknPZTQ

If you wanted to work on YouTubey stuff together, I'd absolutely love that.

Last year I very briefly tried to do something for Daniel From Second Life, but he asked me to shut it all down when he got paranoid about it, so if you see comments from his fans on my YouTube channel, that's why.

Short version - I always wanted to work with you on something, and I'd still love to!

Colorfinger fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 14, 2021

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Colorfinger posted:

Nope! I got paid for Doom House and Mood House. I asked for archives access too as payment for doing work for the site and Lowtax told me "take it out of the money you got for Doom House".

GEEZ! There really was no end to his lovely attitudes on everything, was there? And to think, I was always irked at him for semi-scamming those of us who paid extra at GoonCon in Vegas to attend his private suite party (he promised that in addition to the party, every attendee would get SA-branded swag as part of the package, which would later be sold individually on the site. And it wasn't until we all got there that we discovered that none of that stuff existed or ever would because Lowtax actually couldn't afford to have any of it made and that GC/the party "were meant to celebrate the site, not go into bankruptcy." But he was happy to take our money while leaving the blurbs up on the subforum, of course.

Sucks that so many of you talented types got taken in by such a jerk and wound up leaving the place entirely after a while because of him. I kind of hope that in the Jeffrey-o-Y era there can at least be almost-complete archives of all that great content made available and easy to access again, but who knows how much of it is lost in the digital ether.

In any event...it's good to see you here again. :)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Colorfinger posted:

:stare:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
guy working at seven-eleven: maybe you could just pay me with some scratch tickets and a taquito?
mr eleven: you have money to buy that stuff with

Colorfinger
Feb 5, 2001

guy working at seven-eleven: maybe you could just pay me with some scratch tickets and a taquito?
mr eleven: you have money to buy that stuff with

Yeaaah, it definitely wasn't a great response. For Doom/Mood House I got paid a grand total of what I would (now) charge for about 2 minutes of finished score, so he got a killer deal. It's a lesson I'm still slowly learning - never work for free, even if it's the thing you're passionate about. People only ever want endless revisions and more stuff for free when it costs them nothing.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

meat meat meat meat meat meat meat

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Is there any chance you have an archive you can do a similar thread with? It may be a big ask but i feel like I have to least ask. It would be INCREDIBLE :shobon:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Can you post the Doom House anime please?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I don't know if anybody has the Doom House anime, or if it exists, but I think it was on the Doom House DVD but I may have dreamed the Doom House DVD and it may also not exist. Either way, can you give whoever has it permission to post it so I can watch it if it's real?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Colorfinger! I miss the days when you and your wife did the weekly singing shows. I still think about the one time you read this text somebody wrote about losing their pants at a party or something while playing the Max Payne theme and giggle to myself randomly.

Do you still do anything like that? I think I remember catching you on Twitch once or twice a few years ago.

Everdraed posted:

oh man, loved your work and I remember really wanting to collaborate with ya back in the day. your tracks and audio just always felt so conspicuously good for internet projects, set such strong foundations for the visuals to draw upon

i miss seeing your stuff too, it's a shame a lot of your output came out during the more toxic era of SA and a lot of talented people got chased off.

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 15, 2021

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

raditts posted:

Colorfinger! I miss the days when you and your wife did the weekly singing shows. I still think about the one time you read this text somebody wrote about losing their pants at a party or something while playing the Max Payne theme and giggle to myself randomly.

Do you still do anything like that? I think I remember catching you on Twitch once or twice a few years ago.

i miss seeing your stuff too, it's a shame a lot of your output came out during the more toxic era of SA and a lot of talented people got chased off.

like 10 years ago he did a show on Facebook and it was awesome.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I don't know if anybody has the Doom House anime, or if it exists, but I think it was on the Doom House DVD but I may have dreamed the Doom House DVD and it may also not exist. Either way, can you give whoever has it permission to post it so I can watch it if it's real?

If you're talking about the Shmorky/Flash Tub version of DH with Cartoon Frags in the "COP" t-shirt, then yes it's real because Lowtax showed it and other stuff for the DVD at GC in Vegas, along with the Mega64 DVD since this was the Awful Video startup era (another thing Rich allowed to collapse from his lack of desire to actually put in the effort). I don't think it ever appeared anywhere else though; I've certainly only ever seen it that one time only. It's possible Shmorky never had access to his own FT files, and Lowtax probably never bothered to archive/organize it properly.

(I imagine Jeffrey getting ahold of the SA assets in a manner akin to buying some disorganized sea can where opening up the doors reveals how big a mess is inside the thing.)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I've missed you!

Love, a lurker when it comes to your stuff.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Sup colorfinger

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

I'm not good at posting links. But Fragmaster mentioned Mood House in another thread. I had only heard of Doom House so I did a search for Mood House.

Got this

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRVwGFnXJFka6Wol2u46jwA/videos

Has Maybe the whole DVD?

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

Colorfinger posted:

oh my god, that's... that's next level cheapskate, literally costin' him nothing but a button press for such an easy bit of repayment and he went with the most unpleasant nickel and dimin' response, honestly kind of impressive heh.

Colorfinger posted:

I do! I am (I think) a lot better at production now than I used to be. This year I've been working on a (goon) game called Outworlder, a TV pilot called Mac & Watson, and a new Mega64 project. I can't show you the latter two because they're not released yet, but Outworlder is on Steam and YouTube if youre interested in hearing it. I also made this remix of Kitboga for fun:

https://youtu.be/-My3OknPZTQ
glad to see ya doin' a nice variety of cool projects! gonna have to keep a look out for all three of those, Outworlder looks and sounds nice and chill. that remix video rocks and has some real solid editing work n visual gags.

Colorfinger posted:

Thanks! I'm a huge fan of your work and always wanted to work on something with you too.

If you want to / have time do it as a fun side thing, please do!!! If love to see what you come up with.

If you wanted to work on YouTubey stuff together, I'd absolutely love that.

Last year I very briefly tried to do something for Daniel From Second Life, but he asked me to shut it all down when he got paranoid about it, so if you see comments from his fans on my YouTube channel, that's why.

Short version - I always wanted to work with you on something, and I'd still love to!
awesome! I've definitely been wayyy less productive on personal creative projects for a while due to work stuff, but when there's some free time we should chill and have fun with dumb conceptin'. short and sweet and finishable feels like the right mindset, always wanna avoid da accidental slogs

jiggerypokery posted:

Is there any chance you have an archive you can do a similar thread with? It may be a big ask but i feel like I have to least ask. It would be INCREDIBLE :shobon:
oh jeez, I think I do have everything significant I've done still backed up? but it's all fantastically disorganized and incredibly divorced from context when not embedded as random responses to whatever post tickled me back in the day.

the working folders are nightmarish trashheaps of assets (lots of 'em ultimately unused, i'd usually go overboard with piecemealing assets out for creative play), poorly named and versioned FLA / PSD / AEP projects n exports, and just random bits of inexplicable garbage from whatever other things I was playing with or distracted by at the time too.

probably the best course of action would be slowly going through my files by date and trying to remember.... why the hell I did any of the stuff I did?? and maybe hunt down specific threads n posts for context, but it'd definitely be a slow process of me being tremendously confused and grasping at things I generally immediately forgot about the moment after I posted.

but just looking at some of these folders makes me want to go back and make escalating works with the assets, new old excuses to play in AE heh. so I'll probably try to have some archivalish fun in the future, maybe if I get a bit of a break from current work-y things

raditts posted:

yeah... I really tried to just stick to doing weird photoshops, edits, strange things and not get too mired in other spaces, which could often feel extremely meanspirited. it's real easy to get badly affected by that sorta nastiness, and then have it taint your creative work or just send you into depression imo. generally the photoshop threads (or whatever other ones I crashed with dumb gifs heh) would generate a lot of positive creative energy, which was such a wonderful thing to see develop and evolve in a thread.

honestly the best was effectively collaborative back-n-forths springing up, folks playing off each other and chaining response concepts, exposing new avenues for everyone to explore. that's the sorta thing I don't think can ever be perfectly recaptured without literally just reading the thread normally, and it's another thing entirely to be part of it.

I do miss that... it might be worth cautiously trying to revisit, sometime.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I bet Rich sent that plugin to someone else

Colorfinger
Feb 5, 2001

Everdraed posted:

awesome! I've definitely been wayyy less productive on personal creative projects for a while due to work stuff, but when there's some free time we should chill and have fun with dumb conceptin'. short and sweet and finishable feels like the right mindset, always wanna avoid da accidental slogs

I have sent you a message :)

Everdraed posted:

it's real easy to get badly affected by that sorta nastiness, and then have it taint your creative work or just send you into depression imo.

I do miss that... it might be worth cautiously trying to revisit, sometime.

yep, exactly that. all of that.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I bet Rich sent that plugin to someone else

Maybe. Or he was just flat out lying to make himself look better. When he posted that I even went through my email (I've had the same gmail since 2004 at this point) and every email I ever got from him in case I missed him sending it to me. Nothing about a plugin at any point. Lots of flash tub scripts though.

That said, he tried calling me to buy tires one time and then got super confused and angry when I told him he had the wrong number, and he insisted that he had already paid for the tires, and wasn't going to pay again... so he certainly wasn't super specific or careful about who he was contacting.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
What kind of deal do you offer on tires. I've got a lot of tire needs

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
It's good to see you again. Thanks for all the laughs: you're a star of my SA random weird-rear end music folder, which is basically like getting a Grammy but better.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I have so many great memories of your streams.

Thanks for all you did here.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Colorfinger, you're great and I appreciate the work you made. I don't have anything else to add, I just like your music!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Hooray it's Salad song pops into my head every now and again, especially when I'm hungry for salad.