Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

The fellow kept grovelling and trying to convince you to come to their aid but a Dungeon Maw, particularly in the Mountains of Yen, was nothing to ignore. The death site of the Demon God Urrr lay not far away. Coincidence? Unthinkable. As the man talked, you ignored him and wiggled your fingers into the Icons Of Power, gathering yourself for a mental leap. “Silence,” you said, “and listen, so you can tell others. The High Sage of Chaos, Pettifer Wylde, will take your quest. This might hurt a lot.”

And then you shot into his brain.

Now, birds travelled fast. Lightning travelled fast. But gossip? That was near instantaneous.

The poor sap rode back to his village and told his boss, who told his boss, who told his wife, who told… on and on and on, spreading like a fire. The High Sage of Chaos was coming to save the day! That hermit, that strange little creature who kept to themselves and hoarding away a kingdom’s worth of priceless artifacts! What did that look like? Who were they, really? Could they really save us from the Maw!? Things like that.

And everywhere your name was on their lips, so were you. Flitting from person to person, drawing ever closer to your goal. Technically for a while there there were a couple of you floating around there as the spell divided your essence to optimize your approach to the Mountains. Upon discovery of the shortest path, the others would be destroyed - but if you kept track of stuff like that you wouldn’t be much of a Chaos Sage, would you?

In the end, a humble donkey cart was your final conveyance to the Mountains. The driver, doubtless some local villein who risked the journey to the dangerous Maw out of some sort of family loyalty or honour or some nonsense like that, had heard tell of you as he picked up his last shipment of the day and thought of you on the way over. Finally, as he stopped to survey the valley, considering his life choices, Memetic Meteor concluded its effect.

Once again incarnate, you crack your back and try to ignore the shrieking rube. The Mountains of Yen. You hadn’t been anywhere near the place in… you count on your fingers… a century or so? Last time you were here the Six Sages (mostly you) had dismembered and scattered the Demon God Urrr’s… various chunks and been acclaimed as the High Sages. Life since then had been nothing but parties and fame, which is why you were living in a tree stump. Squinting into the distance, you could just make out the Maw, a magical opening into a Dungeon Pocket Dimension that must have grown around some evil core. You know, boring technical stuff.

The Maw was emitting both a noxiously sweet odour and a veritable waterfall of verminous creatures that cascaded down the mountain. You knew from experience that this was the easiest part - as time went on the monsters would grow in volume and strength until the surrounding countryside would be razed to nothing. It’s a good thing they’d called you when they did. Welp, time to get to work.

MAGYCKEAL SPELLERY posted:

1. Cone Of Calamity
2. τ Sphere
3. Pretended Betrayal
4. Abominably Putrescent Bread
5. Nature's Beheading
6. Topsoil-Preserving Wool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

quote:

as time went on the monsters would grow in volume and strength until the surrounding countryside would be razed to nothing.

Cast Topsoil-Preserving Wool on Countryside. We don't know how long the quest is gonna take, but it can't hurt to minimize the damage that occurs while we're working on it.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Obviously the solution is to cover the Maw with Topsoil-Preserving Wool to stop anything coming out of there.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Cone of Calamity the Maw. That ought to do it. Well, until a new opening appears at some point

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Pretended Betrayal to infiltrate the maw.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Lure the monsters into a trap. They love the smell of Abominably Putrescent Bread

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Cast Pretended Betrayal on Self to infliltrate

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Anyone seeing an implied head in a mountain and not casting Nature's Beheading is objectively wrong.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Scribbleykins posted:

Anyone seeing an implied head in a mountain and not casting Nature's Beheading is objectively wrong.

:emptyquote:

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Cast τ Sphere on the maw. As you know, ταυ is the symbol of life, so converting the well of destructive consumption into a life giving source will not only solve the immediate problem, but have a positive influence on the area in that future.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Scribbleykins posted:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'd watch out for T-spheres. They might attract the hardest DC Comics character to take seriously that they insist you take seriously since Sportsmaster...

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Scribbleykins posted:

Sick, let's do it

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Cast Topsoil-Preserving Wool at Ground

Stopping the monsters means nothing if nature gets destroyed in the process.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Cut this problem off at the head with Nature's Beheading

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
Calamitous Cone that Mountain right over there! Mountains are also conical so assuming it's oriented correctly we wont calamitize anything outside the scope of the problem. Solution is both alliterative AND efficient, so it must be correct.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Nature's Beheading because it gives me the image of turning trees into treeants with axe hands chopping off monster heads and that's great

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
I see the argument for Nature's Beheading, but mountains aren't really *nature* as much as Geology. Therefore i say we must do our duty as High Sage and cast Topsoil-Preserving Wool at the Ground to make sure the monsters don't ruin everything before we can murderize them.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Cast Topsoil-Preserving Wool

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So the τ in τ Sphere stands for time. We've just travelled quite a bit, let's just rest up in our personal time bubble and have some tea, then murderize them.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
I believe Nature's Beheading will do the trick, thank you.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
As much as I'd love to infiltrate the horde with Pretended Betrayal I think it's gotta be Nature's Beheading

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Well, it didn’t take a genius to know what to do here. Grotesque face cave spewing out monstras? It should have known better than to take a shape you could easily conceptualize. You drew a seed out from your hat band, put your palms togethers, then drew them apart with a quick, twisting motion.

You hadn’t pulled this baby in a while, but it was always popular at harvest festivals. You swished it dramatically for a few moments to impress your singular fan (well, plural fans if you counted the donkey), then hauled back and threw it into the air. It arced into the sky, then hooked sharply down towards the Maw, growing as it went.

Well, that was fun. Unfortunately it no more solved your problem than tearing someone’s door off prevented their access to their house - the Maw extended deep below the earth (and sideways dimensionally, but no need to get into that), so it wouldn’t be that easy. Still, the rube was appropriately impressed, and you’d probably destroyed a goodly chunk of the army that had hung out near the base of the mountain, so all in all a good start.

You made your way over to the entrance, leaping from stone to stone with wasteful bursts of power. Whatever, you had plenty to spare. As you drew closer, you saw many smashed bodies of mishapen creatures, their innards little more than magic and clay. Golems, simple ones. An early-stage Maw, then, before it had time to grow in complexity… or else a late stage one, discarding its weakest to weaken the surrounding lands. No way to know without going inside.

Braving the snow, you found the entrance after a few moments’ search, like the stump left behind after an execution. Inside and in chunks nearby you could see brick and stonework, the remnants of the temple-like interior of this place. You probably skipped one of its drat puzzles. Heh.

The surviving golems came at you, but they were soft things, easily torn apart. Hmm, what to do now...

MAGYCKEAL SPELLERY posted:

1. Shape Ridicule
2. Infest Mystic Translation
3. Tasteful Flood Fill
4. Perspiration Sausage
5. Chained Spear
6. Bleak Communism

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Oh, since I always forget to do this: here's a link to our Discord! Come join us for additional nonsense.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Cast Bleak Communism, only through a thorough proletarian uprising that seizes the means of production from the maw can we destroy it and also all of the proletarians uprising through it.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
cast Tasteful Flood Fill on hole

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Infest Mystic Translation, that'll show these golem dopes for relying on something as stupid as a slip of paper in their heads.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Tasteful Flood Fill

I'm torn between a tasteful flood and the bleak power of communism, but I think I'll go with the flood.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

paper bag with a face posted:

Infest Mystic Translation, that'll show these golem dopes for relying on something as stupid as a slip of paper in their heads.

Agreed with this, Infest Mystic Translation seems solid.

Reminder: These are golems made of stone, not clay. So flooding wouldn't make them melt or anything.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Tasteful Flood Fill

The golems are scrub-tier and unworthy of attention.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Shape Ridicule on monsters. Oh, is that the form you're going to destroy civilization in? I'm so embarrassed for you, or I would be if I could stop laughing lol

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I just want to see the maw's pie-hole filled with strawberry jam

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Tasteful Flood Fill on the Hole. Even if it does not solve the issue, at least it will be tasteful and we'll have created a new local attraction. The local residents will surely thank us for the profits that Maw Springs brings them after all this is over.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Yeah, this, this is brilliant. Infest Mystic Translation.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Infest Mystic Translation, an Emet-ic, if you will.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I’m gonna jump on Tasteful Flood Fill.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Bleak Communism will let the downtrodden golem masses rise up and seize the Maws of Production!

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Cast Infest Mystic Translation on Golems

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

AJ_Impy posted:

Infest Mystic Translation, an Emet-ic, if you will.

Alright, fine, you have my vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

this