Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eShep
Dec 3, 2003

Yes, this is my foot. You are looking at my foot.
Ultima Online, you say? Isn’t that game like 24 years old? Do people even still play that???

Why yes, yes they do - and you should too!

Outlands is a thoroughly refreshed and revamped take on one of the first-ever large-scale persistent-world online games. The basic premise and mechanics of the game are intact, but Outlands includes:
  • A totally new handcrafted map that’s way better than the original
  • A wide variety of new monsters, combat mechanics, and special events
  • Dozens of reworked and enhanced skills - nearly all are viable in a character build
  • A modernized client (ClassicUO) with Razor assistant for hotkeys, scripting, and other QoL improvements
  • Robust player community and active development
  • Extensive seafaring content, mount breeding, upgradeable pets, and vastly extended endgame progression
  • Recently released expansion, doubling the available housing space
In short, Outlands has turned Ultima Online into a sequel of itself.

This is the map:

For you UO nerds who want to know specifics about the ruleset:
  • Felucca-only: murder, loot, and steal to your heart’s content - just don’t get caught
  • No statloss
  • Insta-hit, precasting
  • Plenty of organized pvp events for players at all skill levels
  • No hideous custom housing, but many aesthetically-pleasing options to choose from
  • 3 simultaneous clients per IP, 5 characters per account
  • 700 skill points expandable to 720, 225 stats
  • AFK macroing is allowed except for resource-harvesting, thievery, and a few other things
If you want to take the plunge, download the launcher from the Outlands website: http://uooutlands.com/

There’s also a comprehensive wiki, including guides for new players and overviews of the Outlands-specific systems: https://uooutlands.com/wiki/Main_Page

The GOON guild had been inactive for a while after a bunch of us quit/went on hiatus, but now things are starting to get rolling again. We have a new guildhouse, and a steadily growing group of active players adventuring, crafting, harvesting, taming, and generally gooning around.

Join our Discord here: https://discord.gg/uaC2wDw

Getting Started

There’s a few viable options on how to get yourself established. Introduce yourself in the Discord and one of us can get you set up with some basic supplies and entrance to the guild. This will give you access to the guildhouse along with our communal stash of tools and supplies.

Here are a few ideas for early characters:
  • Wood chopper and/or miner. Logs currently sell for ~10gp each, while iron ingots are nearly 15gp. It’s tedious but fast money.
  • Ye olde classic peace dexer. Pick the combat weapon of your choice (pro tip: mace) and use peacemaking to lull hapless monsters into a stupor, then murder them.
  • Summoner mage. Start with a pack of summoned creatures, and then switch to elementals once you’ve got enough magery skillz. This also works well with peacemaking, but you can also use herding to increase your damage-dealing
  • Tamer. “Are you crazy??” you might be asking. Well, yes, but also it’s not actually so bad. It’s possible to hit GM taming in a few days, mostly AFK using my whiz-bang taming guide and script: https://tinyurl.com/56y3u47a
Speaking of scripts, the Discord server has a scripts channel with all sorts of ways to automate and enhance your gameplay. Have a gander, or ask someone in the main chat if you need any help with such things, or really anything else.

See you in the game!

eShep fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god
Just wanted to chime in with my experience as a new player here:

I started playing UO outlands about two weeks ago, and hadn't touched a UO free shard since In Por Ylem maybe 8 years ago but got the itch after burning out a little bit on Diablo 2 Resurrected. I hopped into the discord channel - the goon community was immediately welcoming and did everything they could to help me get started - regs, spellbooks, a house to macro in and store my stuff, and answers to every question I could come up with. It isn't explicitly spelled out in the OP, but there are a large number of QOL customizations on Outlands that are totally new to me. In about two weeks, I managed to GM Magery and get a summoner character up and running (I summon elementals and mind blast stuff, basically) and I've been killing monsters to save gold towards buying my first house. I'm at just over a million gold now and some of the smaller houses (8x8 tiles, 1 floor) are already affordable to me, but I think I'm going to save up for something with a little more space. To be where I am at in just two weeks of play is pretty awesome.

Some thoughts / things I came across that are not obvious to new players:

1) There is a lot of cooperative PvM hunting on this server - players will even bring pack horses to hold all the gold and loot they get, then bring back the haul to the guild house and distribute the loot fairly when people are done. This is a cool way to tackle some of the more high risk / high reward content out there. Traveling in numbers also reduces the chances you are preyed upon by reds!

2) There are a few permanent one-way gates out of dungeons placed strategically throughout (maybe 3-4 per dungeon) that can help you escape if murderers show up!

3) Lumberjacking and mining are easier than normal - you don't need to click each tree individually, you double click the hatchet and click yourself and it instead automatically searches the 8 tiles immediately surrounding you for harvestable resources. With this, making money using lumberjacking or mining is way more tolerable than on a typical UO server.

4) With the server being as mature as it is, there is a good bit of gold in circulation. This means that your ingots or boards are worth a ton which is great to help you get started as a new player. There is a consistently strong demand for harvestable resources - I've never had trouble selling them. With this, I was able to fund the reagents for a GM Magery character in about two days of casual lumberjacking. This was greatly sped up by eShep's lumberjacking script!

5) You can loot your own body while invis to make corpse runs easier

6) Player vendors on the server are searchable on https://www.outlandmarket.com/ which makes it easy to get a good sense of what items are worth

7) You auto-demount when you enter a dungeon and auto-remount when you exit the dungeon

8) A lot of the old skills that are literal garbage in UO have been re-tooled to be useful. For example, Camping now gives you increased carrying capacity and the ability to travel around faster than walking (sort of like recalling). Taste identification now provides a buff to you increasing their mana regeneration, and buffs you and allies with resistance to bleeds/poison/disease.

9) There is no one single build that everyone goes for -- there are dozens of ways to play the endgame -- dexxers, archers, bards, tamers, mages, etc are really balanced and truly do have different strengths and weaknesses

1024x768 fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 17, 2021

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

You son of a bitch, I'm in.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Haven't played here in a couple of years and I'm allergic to communities so I just rolled solo everywhere (I was very near the top of the box picking list for awhile) but it was a really well-made world that was fun to dick around in and there seems to be something for everyone. I even had someone roleplay at me :wow:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I have never played UO, at all, ever. Should I try this out?

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

Cool Dad posted:

If it looks like something you'd enjoy, go for it. It's free.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Cool Dad posted:

It's very dated at this point but if you try it and don't immediately hate it, it's one of the best versions of UO.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
If only this existed 20 years ago. :(

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Need to get authed.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

hobocrunch posted:

Need to get authed.

Now authed in Discord

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone should play! Easily the best private shard I've played on, and I've played a bunch (every incarnation of IPY, UOF, I'm sure some others that I don't remember). This shard also has the most brand-new-to-UO players I've ever seen so it's not just for us old UO fuddy duddies!

It may seem overwhelming at first because there are a LOT of new systems - I've been playing for 7 months and I've still not touched a bunch of them - but it's pretty easy to get started and you'll get the hang of it quickly.

Good shard, good OP. Join us!

e:

1024x768 posted:

Taste identification now provides a buff to you and your allies, increasing their mana regeneration and resistance to bleeds.

the bolded bit is untrue - taste id increases your own mana regeneration via increased ticks and increases your swing speed from eating delectable food; the herbal poultice buff that applies to allies provides resistance to bleeds, poison, and disease (and helps with poisoning, and helps with plant growing)

kumba fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 16, 2021

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Phoix posted:

It's very dated at this point but if you try it and don't immediately hate it, it's one of the best versions of UO.

Honestly this is pretty much the best version of UO ever made, on average better than pre-UO:R official even. I'd recommend trying Outlands even if you've never played UO or private shards before. If they do something with the pvp events or change up some pvp stuff I'll definitely be back to play more.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I think I asked this in the last thread but I don't remember the answers. How viable is town thieving on Outlands? Stealing from people at the bank was my favorite thing to do in UO.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Node posted:

I think I asked this in the last thread but I don't remember the answers. How viable is town thieving on Outlands? Stealing from people at the bank was my favorite thing to do in UO.

I haven't played for a while but I have both stolen and been stolen from in town. I'm not sure what your definition of viable is, but you can do it and it works

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
I always sucked at town stealing so never tried but there are some great theif builds for dungeons and I've had a ton of fun playing with them.

Trammie Surprise on youtube has a bunch of videos of his theiving runs and gives a good example of what you can do/get.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Town thieves are definitely possible though I think it's difficult because iirc there's an increased chance you get noticed any time you get guard whacked

The real juice is in camping the vendor hotspots but that can also be super boring

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

Yeah you can absolutely pick people dry in town.

Crowded banks may be quite difficult depending on how heavy the item you go for though. The more players and NPCs the higher the chances you get guard whacked.

This server is drat good. And the only reason I stopped and am forcing myself to stay away is that it was too drat good.
Would definitely lose my job.

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 17, 2021

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
First impressions:

Server is pretty cool actually. A lot of new things to learn for an old player. I really love the changes to some of the more "useless" skills and so far so good. I can see my self having a lot of fun. Doesn't appear to be too laggy playing from AUS.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Ultima Online was basically the only game I ever really enjoyed. I'll be joining the server soon!

edit: Holy poo poo this server has an amazing variety

A Bakers Cousin fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 19, 2021

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Can't believe I am considering Ultima Online again for funsies. Oh lord.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

skylined! posted:

Can't believe I am considering Ultima Online again for funsies. Oh lord.

do or do not. there is no consider

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god
just had an elite pvper attack my lumberjack in a guard zone

now i'm looking cooler than he ever did in this sweet armor

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've never been into the pvp or even really the combat in UO but I like running a vendor house, and I even like the danger of having to do it when people can just come murder me. Is that a viable thing on Outlands?

Like I just want to be a famous blacksmith and alchemist and create a shopping mall for people to congregate at or whatever. I will stuff murderous goons in my treasure chests so they can spring out at unsuspecting shoppers if the game will let me.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 20, 2021

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've never been into the pvp or even really the combat in UO but I like running a vendor house, and I even like the danger of having to do it when people can just come murder me. Is that a viable thing on Outlands?

Like I just want to be a famous blacksmith and alchemist and create a shopping mall for people to congregate at or whatever. I will stuff murderous goons in my treasure chests so they can spring out at unsuspecting shoppers if the game will let me.

Absolutely, if i remember correctly someone or a few people on the shard kinda run a vendor/bar and have games and raffles and poo poo from time to time to bring more traffic to their shops

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hell yeah, that's exactly the kind of stuff I liked about UO so count me in.

My favorite UO memories are all about scamming, robbing, and running a store. Finding tents with unlocked chests and looting them, stealthing into houses right behind the owners, pretending I didn't know how to play poker then hustling some dude out of his rare ice blue clothes. Then selling it in my own private boutique :kiddo:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 20, 2021

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Outlands is pretty good about supporting a bunch of dumb playstyles. Basically all I ever do is run around dungeons stealing and casting wall of stone.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
If you have a bunch of gold collecting dust or already got a GM tinker, look into making a trapper. You basically just stealth through dungeons, put down IEDs, then detonate them. One of the Aspects increases trap damage, too. No PVP damage from them, though, at least last time I played.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
Logged back in after taking a break for a few months and came back to one of those placement deeds for the new continent. Anyone place a house there yet or know how crowded it is or what the hotspots are?

Probably just gonna find a place with easy access to the open ocean and might aim for a location with an easy sailing route to a city on the old continent. The sailing/boat mechanics in this game are amazing.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I fired up the old account last night and was enjoyin my time. Im trying to recover my old secondary account so I can get back into Tmaps. I feel like I gave away all my gold and a house to some goon way back when, but it's all a bit blurry. Any good places to magic-free provo that don't get a lot of traffic? The map is extremely foreign to me and I'm around 75 skill with GM swords.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

NJersey posted:

Logged back in after taking a break for a few months and came back to one of those placement deeds for the new continent. Anyone place a house there yet or know how crowded it is or what the hotspots are?

Probably just gonna find a place with easy access to the open ocean and might aim for a location with an easy sailing route to a city on the old continent. The sailing/boat mechanics in this game are amazing.
Probably all filled up by now, been awhile since the new landmass opened.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Dante posted:

I've noticed house boats are a thing and there's a lot of space off the water's edge. Not sure specifics though.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

hobocrunch posted:

I've noticed house boats are a thing and there's a lot of space off the water's edge. Not sure specifics though.
Houseboats can only be placed where there's wooden docks, there's a fairly limited amount of space for them.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

Dante posted:

Yea, looks like I missed my chance.

Got my poo poo pushed in on the ocean while doing MiB's. I was just getting rolling too taking on small fishing ships and working my crew.
GMed my provo/disco macer today so that's a plus. If I can only focus on one character and finally get one finished...so fun hopping from build to build though.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez
what is this mess? i'm in

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

UO is still the only game I know of that lets me skin skeletons for leather and meat and that definitely counts for something.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Dammit I want to play but I'm just way too old to need to worry about pvpers around me while i'm cutting a tree

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
Been dual screening lumberjacking all weekend outside Terran. I gm'd one guy and was only PK'd once when I went to a different spot too far from town. Easily the fastest money I've made so far too.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Barreft posted:

Dammit I want to play but I'm just way too old to need to worry about pvpers around me while i'm cutting a tree

Perhaps you should consider purchasing the Goon Squad Personal Protection package!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

a dmc delorean posted:

Perhaps you should consider purchasing the Goon Squad Personal Protection package!

lol, alright. was a fun idea but I'll pass. have fun all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
I had 3 accounts at launch playing this, had a ton of fun. Then burned out and now i cant remember my accounts (logins are on a file on my old dead computer). Patcher got stuck for the last year, assumed it was a problem on my side i couldnt resolve. But tried today and just works. So im starting over, never played beyond like a month maybe at launch so i forgot everything.

Im gonna go with a mace template starting since i remember being able to fund stuff rapidly with it during my first run.