Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I had a few friends got seriously into poker in high school before online poker became big so in order to play for money they'd have to drive out to someone's friend's cousin's game wherever. I was never as into it but I got good enough to be moderately competent and went with them to a game one time where an overweight bald man screamed at me for playing wrong because I took a sub optimal risk on the river and beat him even though I "shouldn't have" and eventually followed us out to the car when we left (though immediately scampered off when we tried to confront him). poker is like 85% these guys and 15% otherwise chill gambling addicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
People innately have very, very poor intuition about probabilities. Even if you learn how the probabilities in poker work and do all the proper math, you still end up with a lot of people having that feeling that they "shouldn't" lose a hand in which they are 90-10 favoured, even though that means 10% of the time they lose. And 10% represents an event that will occur quite frequently. So, sure, the player winning the 10% game gets lucky, but then, so technically does the player winning the 49% game. But the latter feels very different to people. Then on top of that comes faulty pattern recognition such that people are way better at remembering all the times they lost to the 10% odds versus all the times they won the 10% odds, let alone all the times they won the 90% odds.

You see the same thing when people complain about the RNG in a game like Xcom or a shuffler in a computer card game. The latter is extra funny because you'll see complaints like "I never draw 3x the same card in a row in real life", which is explained by people being bad at shuffling in a way that approaches true randomization and often deliberately spreading copies of the same card around in their decks so that it feels "more random".

Anyway, add in some tits and misogyny and the above can get real spicy.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

*flipping a coin to decide whether to call or fold*

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Orange Devil posted:

People innately have very, very poor intuition about probabilities. Even if you learn how the probabilities in poker work and do all the proper math, you still end up with a lot of people having that feeling that they "shouldn't" lose a hand in which they are 90-10 favoured, even though that means 10% of the time they lose. And 10% represents an event that will occur quite frequently. So, sure, the player winning the 10% game gets lucky, but then, so technically does the player winning the 49% game. But the latter feels very different to people. Then on top of that comes faulty pattern recognition such that people are way better at remembering all the times they lost to the 10% odds versus all the times they won the 10% odds, let alone all the times they won the 90% odds.

You see the same thing when people complain about the RNG in a game like Xcom or a shuffler in a computer card game. The latter is extra funny because you'll see complaints like "I never draw 3x the same card in a row in real life", which is explained by people being bad at shuffling in a way that approaches true randomization and often deliberately spreading copies of the same card around in their decks so that it feels "more random".

Anyway, add in some tits and misogyny and the above can get real spicy.

I don't watch poker, but isn't he pissed at losing on a 47% loss chance?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not really accurate to say that he’s pissed at losing a coin flip (actually two consecutive flips) because neither of them knew what the odds were at the time. What they both knew is that they didn’t have very good hands.

He tried to bully her with a poo poo hand and a big stack of chips, and it didn’t work. Her almost equally lovely hand prevailed.

It’s a legitimate strategy to force opponents to make that choice, but sometimes they’re going to call you on it, and if you’re not backing it with a decent set of cards, you’re going to lose a lot of those calls.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 12:30 on Oct 4, 2022

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

It’s not really accurate to say that he’s pissed at losing a coin flip (actually two consecutive flips) because neither of them knew what the odds were at the time. What they both knew is that they didn’t have very good hands.

He tried to bully her with a poo poo hand and a big stack of chips, and it didn’t work. Her almost equally lovely hand prevailed.

It’s a legitimate strategy to force opponents to make that choice, but sometimes they’re going to call you on it, and if you’re not backing it with a decent set of cards, you’re going to lose a lot of those calls.

Right, from his perspective - at the time - he lost a 90% loss chance. But he certainly didn't have an - either believed or actual - 90% chance of winning. If I understand the percentages in the bottom right correctly :shrug:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I think he's pissed that she didn't fold with such a lovely quality hand like she was "supposed" to under whatever expected value system he was operating on. And like, yeah maybe mathematically she made a negative EV play. But then so does like every lottery winner ever.

Assuming all your poker opponent are perfectly evaluating every hand and making the perfect EV plays at all times is a great way to get yourself blown the gently caress out.

That tends to lead to big butthurt about "logic" and "rationality", which again doesn't mix well with tits and misogyny.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 13:14 on Oct 4, 2022

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's just getting tilted at a bad beat. Not letting that stuff get to you is a basic requirement of being a good poker player. He's being a giant baby.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
The poker drama is funny because all the top women in poker are like "she probably just played that hand terribly" or "she cheated" but no one outside listens to them

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Tiberius Christ posted:

She gave the money back after he confronted her, look at that death stare hes giving

https://twitter.com/RobbiJadeLew/status/1575758837465812992?t=E1Np6kfqvuS_xIiCSBswaw&s=19

Lol what the gently caress dude should be in jail

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
This is a good article about diy transition, the conflict with institutional gatekeepers and the potential for new ways of relating
https://twitter.com/gp_jls/status/1577347911763083284?s=46&t=GmHc4h_05qnbR21YqHB3eQ

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
do the right wingers know that you can just order this stuff online or what?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I had a few friends got seriously into poker in high school before online poker became big so in order to play for money they'd have to drive out to someone's friend's cousin's game wherever. I was never as into it but I got good enough to be moderately competent and went with them to a game one time where an overweight bald man screamed at me for playing wrong because I took a sub optimal risk on the river and beat him even though I "shouldn't have" and eventually followed us out to the car when we left (though immediately scampered off when we tried to confront him). poker is like 85% these guys and 15% otherwise chill gambling addicts.

You're misremembering. I was not bald and never will be.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Shiroc posted:

This is a good article about diy transition, the conflict with institutional gatekeepers and the potential for new ways of relating
https://twitter.com/gp_jls/status/1577347911763083284?s=46&t=GmHc4h_05qnbR21YqHB3eQ

This was definitely a fantastic piece. The amount of trans individuals stuck with DIY in places like the UK as they wait 4+ years for the first appointment is obscene. I think this is absolutely the trajectory we're likely to see there as she pointed out, as a number of states (FL, TX, AL) are absolutely racing to abolish all access to gender affirming care. Florida is even trying to make moves to delay or deny it for adults as well.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
All of Jules' writing is really good. I extremely highly recommend Histories of the Transgender Child.

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

tractor fanatic posted:

The poker drama is funny because all the top women in poker are like "she probably just played that hand terribly" or "she cheated" but no one outside listens to them

Please explain the method of cheating. Are people claiming that she had a way to view the other guy's cards or the table cards before they were revealed? Is it some other thing that would allow her to have certainty about the outcome when others did not?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

P_T_S posted:

Please explain the method of cheating. Are people claiming that she had a way to view the other guy's cards or the table cards before they were revealed? Is it some other thing that would allow her to have certainty about the outcome when others did not?

She was (slightly) losing when she called the all in. So, seeing his cards wouldn't have made much sense. Putting him on the straight draw is a pretty reasonable read, she just misjudged the odds. The thing that he's mad about is that she made a bad play and was rewarded for it. You know, a thing that happens all the time in poker.

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

So it's just him being a butt baby about poker not being chess. "Oh no, my gambling obsession has unpredictable outcomes!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Here’s a hand‐by‐hand analysis of Robbi’s play at the event.

If she was cheating, she’s either so godlike that it’s indistinguishable from normal play, or so bad at it that she’s not gaining advantage from it.

Here is an attempt to explain she could have been thinking without making her out to be either a cheat or the worst player ever to touch felt.

quote:

His shove stinks of weakness. She smells it a mile away. In her mind - and her mind only - at that moment, 87cc might have actually been toward the top of his range.

If she’d made the same moves and the cards didn’t draw in her favor, everyone at the table would have chuckled and moved on. No one would have accused her of cheating even though win or lose, it’s a +EV position if and only if she knew what cards he held.

eta: Garrett donated her money to charity. :jerkbag:

https://twitter.com/GmanPoker/status/1577677790379245569

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 05:07 on Oct 6, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Jezebel/status/1577707586409099264

thread title plz

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1577684068447277059

Billionaire boldly volunteers legal battle against charity; is hailed as hero by tens of thousands

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1577684068447277059

Billionaire boldly volunteers legal battle against charity; is hailed as hero by tens of thousands
When I started reading that, I thought she was starting a beef with the entire country.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

for extra fun interpret mermaids to refer to the race of fantasy creatures rather than the charity

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Little mermaid is an illegal immigrant.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/Jani__Gee/status/1579990136900968448

Lol, tehre are a lot of creepy rear end dudes arguing with this lady on twitter.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://twitter.com/Jani__Gee/status/1579990136900968448

Lol, tehre are a lot of creepy rear end dudes arguing with this lady on twitter.

She's right but I'm not sure "lol you can't afford sex workers in your own country" is the way I'd frame this tbh.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

for extra fun interpret mermaids to refer to the race of fantasy creatures rather than the charity

Mermaids do not have vaginas so it fits her MO

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

loquacius posted:

Mermaids do not have vaginas so it fits her MO

Have you not seen The Lighthouse?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

She's right but I'm not sure "lol you can't afford sex workers in your own country" is the way I'd frame this tbh.

is it even true that they cant afford sex workers in their own country? even if sex workers overseas cost less on the individual level youre still on the hook for foreign travel fees its always been my impression that the main financial benefit of being a sexpat as opposed to a local creep is the lower rent

not that any of them would ever admit this when they can just make racist comments about asian women being demure that white feminists just accept uncritically as true because they have very unrealistic ideas about how sex work actually functions in the west since the predominant image is the sex loving independent contractor in nice hotel rooms and not the drug addict who will give you a blow job for twenty bucks

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1580639051774054404?t=Hv5SI4BtBeas7su-OAXwmQ&s=19

She really does keep finding new and interesting evil things to say

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

is it even true that they cant afford sex workers in their own country? even if sex workers overseas cost less on the individual level youre still on the hook for foreign travel fees its always been my impression that the main financial benefit of being a sexpat as opposed to a local creep is the lower rent

not that any of them would ever admit this when they can just make racist comments about asian women being demure that white feminists just accept uncritically as true because they have very unrealistic ideas about how sex work actually functions in the west since the predominant image is the sex loving independent contractor in nice hotel rooms and not the drug addict who will give you a blow job for twenty bucks

I think it's less about "you can't afford sex workers in your home country" and more that sex workers in poorer countries have even fewer options for escaping poverty and are therefore less likely to refuse these dudes if they ask for gross stuff or abuse them. Basically that the guys are preying on the most easily exploitable targets they can think of.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Some Guy TT posted:

I don't think that thats the predominant image of western sex workers.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I'm gonna say that if you can't afford domestic sex workers you probably also can't afford to drop money on a plane flight to Thailand for the purposes of getting laid; the motivation behind sex tourism is absolutely to find more desperate people

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

loquacius posted:

Yeah I'm gonna say that if you can't afford domestic sex workers you probably also can't afford to drop money on a plane flight to Thailand for the purposes of getting laid; the motivation behind sex tourism is absolutely to find more desperate people

well that a marriage for whatever distinction we can and should make between sex tourism and so-called mail order brides.

By now that industry should've re branded with a progressive sounding buzzword tho. Wonder what they could be

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

War and Pieces posted:

well that a marriage for whatever distinction we can and should make between sex tourism and so-called mail order brides.

By now that industry should've re branded with a progressive sounding buzzword tho. Wonder what they could be

Independent matrimonial contractors

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

War and Pieces posted:

Cross-cultural Relationship Co-ordinators. The next step in diversity consulting!

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Unhinged https://twitter.com/KatyMontgomerie/status/1581625150503407619?t=w0l25gfHQ45vxfetqhLYkg&s=19

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

She's such a garbage human

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Riot Bimbo posted:

She's such a garbage human

Shaun the skull youtuber has a new video detailing how Rowling knows exactly what she's doing when she supports anti-trans activists on twitter and how many of them are openly working with anti-gay/anti-abortion religious freaks like the Heritage Foundation: https://youtu.be/Ou_xvXJJk7k Also makes a point of TERFs' constant invocation of lesbian safety when most of the top TERFs are straight as it turns out, not to mention the thing about working with anti-gay groups and Tommy Robinson while using lesbians as a shield. A bunch of commenters on the video make a connection between Helen Joyce's interview quote about trans people being disruptive because they need "special accommodations" (as if) and rhetoric around disabled people and eugenics.

The anti-trans movement is dependent on a compliant media taking them at their shallowest word and not interrogating their actions in the slightest.

Dr. Jerrold Coe has issued a correction as of 18:11 on Oct 16, 2022