Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rotor posted:

pair programming is super good imo but it is exhausting and you really have to get along well with your pair.

idk about swapping roles every few minutes tho, that seems weird. You kind of just swap when you want to and when it feels right.

iawtp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

NUKE THEIR ASS
TAKE THEIR GAS

Slippery Tilde

my experience with pairing tends to go like this

i can be either character, depending on circumstances

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

i have an hour long swarm on my calendar every day and pair on an ad hoc basis regularly.
i have been with the company for barely three years and i am now the third most tenured engineer.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

I only do pair programming if we get to kiss

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

sounds really gay, op

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

my experience with pairing tends to go like this

i can be either character, depending on circumstances

you or youíre coworker is Scotty?

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Hovering my hands over the keyboard while you're typing because it's my turn!!!!

Pulling the mouse in my direction by the cord

Eating canned tuna at the desk

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

you should try pair posting, op! It might make your posts better. because someone else would be writing some of them!

Zlodo
Nov 24, 2006

posting my pair

std::pair< bool, bool >

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

i didnt read any of the posts itt

pointsofdata
Apr 25, 2011

Zlodo posted:

posting my pair

std::pair< bool, bool >

sorry about your std, have you seen a doctor about that?

Zlodo
Nov 24, 2006

gdi

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

anyway i'm not here to say everyone should do it, but when it works well, it works really well.

iawtp

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

I can't do my thing with other people watching

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

programming is an insanely shameful thing that should only be done in private

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i prefer apple programming OP

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I only do pair programming if we get to kiss

Pair programming but that thing where one person hides behind the other and pretends their arms belong to the front person: front person declares out loud what they want to type and rear person implements

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

ADINSX posted:

Pair programming but that thing where one person hides behind the other and pretends their arms belong to the front person: front person declares out loud what they want to type and rear person implements

i watched "whos line is it anyway" once because a channel over here airs american tv shows sometimes and uh
man that show loving SUCKS

"haha hey middle-aged bald guy #3, act like you're a fuckin bathroom urinal"
"haha ok. i drink pee."
[ROARING LAUGHTER]

good loving lord

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

hbag posted:

i watched "whos line is it anyway" once because a channel over here airs american tv shows sometimes and uh
man that show loving SUCKS

"haha hey middle-aged bald guy #3, act like you're a fuckin bathroom urinal"
"haha ok. i drink pee."
[ROARING LAUGHTER]

good loving lord
WLiiA is British, I used to watch it as a kid back in the 90's on Channel 4. They always had a decent number of Canadian & American comedians on who ten year old me thought were really funny, but now I daren't look any of them up in case they've gone chudward

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

toiletbrush posted:

WLiiA is British, I used to watch it as a kid back in the 90's on Channel 4. They always had a decent number of Canadian & American comedians on who ten year old me thought were really funny, but now I daren't look any of them up in case they've gone chudward

it is? drat maybe they were airing the US version because literally everyone on it and in the audience was murican

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

thereís a british version and an american spinoff

as far as the comedians go ryan stiles and colin mochrie are both good people afaik.

pair programming is okay

Gentle Autist
Jun 4, 2003

yeah like most shows that america gloms onto the british original is much better

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

programming is an insanely shameful thing that should only be done in private

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I had one project back in 2006 where we were moving from a totally free product to freemium on a pretty tight schedule. I understood the authentication/authorization logic and the other guy understood the UI code, and by pairing we managed to get everything done. I don't think there was any other approach that would've worked, and I also haven't worked on anything since where I think it would've helped.

The regular devs at my current employer do full-time pairing. I don't know how they put up with it.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Full time pair programming should only cost one salary imo

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i did pair programming a few times in college. if you have a competent co-worker it can work well, but if meeting in person isn't possible, or you didn't enjoy their company i think it would be less than helpful

also now i'm wondering about au pair programming, where you hire some unfortunate exchange student, except instead of doing housework and such, they program java or whatever for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I am attention deficit and I absolutely canít work this way. I interviewed at a company once that mandated pair programming and when I heard that I was like lol nope.