Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuantumPotato
Feb 3, 2005

Fallen Rib

rotor posted:

idk about swapping roles every few minutes tho, that seems weird. You kind of just swap when you want to and when it feels right.

i briefly worked on a team where the engineering director was like the mad hatter of software management. whatever hackernews article hoved into his vision was the NEW, MANDATORY PRODUCTIVITY IMPROVER. so for about 3 months, every dev who reported to this dude was required to pair, with an assigned partner, for 6 hours a day, swapping every 20 minutes at maximum. My partner and I played TDD red light, green light (A writes a failing test, B implements the minimum for the test to pass and writes the next failing test, A implements next minimum, writes next test, repeat ad infinitum) for most of that time.

for useful pairing, as a senior dev, i've found that you can really build up junior dev confidence if you let them navigate, while only acting as a dictation machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumPotato
Feb 3, 2005

Fallen Rib
ayy, i got ya pair programming right here, pal!

QuantumPotato
Feb 3, 2005

Fallen Rib

DaTroof posted:

first impression: that sounds like absolute hell

second impression: that might actually work well in certain circumstances, for certain tasks

tell me if i'm wrong, but if your team was even kinda functional, i'd guess that process stopped being mandatory after a couple weeks but still happened organically on occasion

I think the team kept it up for 2 months. it was the most dysfunctional team i've ever been a part of. It was at a Fortune 50 company, so they had 5 star talent coming in all the time, but anyone who actually cared about their work/sanity either transferred out to another team or left the company. The remaining developers who worked under him were either trapped or just trying to fly under the radar to keep getting their 20% annual merit bonuses. They were a team of 12 that produced the work of 3. While i can appreciate the goldbricking, everybody seemed absolutely miserable.

i was only there 6 months, because i was a consultant brought in to integrate some niche hardware with their mobile poo poo. Unfortunately, this dude didn't get the difference between contractor and consultant, so i'd constantly be fighting him on what i was supposed to be doing, having to explain to him that i didn't report to him, but to his boss, and having him try and write me up for weird poo poo (cue confused emails from HR). Eventually it all came to a head when he pulled me aside to have my "180 day performance review" (important context: according his company's rules, this was a HUGE NO-NO for consultants) with a printout of all my git commits from the previous 6 months, and a printout of another dev's commits, because they had "almost twice as many!". i sat through the whole thing, had him follow up with me via email, forwarded that to his boss and the owner of the firm i was at, and then promptly terminated the contract. The super cool, web 3.0 features they were promising at all the trade shows that year turned into vaporware. i heard he eventually got promoted.

anyway. pairing is cool and good sometimes.

QuantumPotato
Feb 3, 2005

Fallen Rib
btw, the red light/green light refactor pairing is a really good way to learn a new language quick. learned that from a guy i worked with who used it as a game to teach people scala. when it's no pressure, it's actually fun.