Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So, it seems that Riot has finally realised that they have an IP with a bunch of characters and a world that a lot of people like, and that these people might not necessarily like moba gameplay. To address this, (as well as making a TV show) Riot has started their own publishing label.

Riot Forge works with independent developers, offering resources such as money and access to the voice actors for the champions in return for making games set in their universe. Recognising the frustration with endless "live service games" but unwilling to abandon the model for their multiplayer games, Riot's solution is to offer "completable game experiences" for those of us who want games that you can actually play through and be done with.

Current Releases

Ruined King: A League of Legends Story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpRRLYJ5fIQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rtjAca-PzQ

Made by Airship Syndicate (Battlechasers: Nightwar, Darksiders: Genesis), this is basically Battlechasers: League of Legends edition. You play as Illaoi, Braum, Yasuo, Miss Fortune, Ahri and Pyke to save Bilgewater and fight back against the encroaching mist of undeath from the Shadow Isles and the spooky machinations of Viego, the Ruined King. Features fun character writing, gorgeous art and some of the best turn based RPG gameplay I've ever seen.

Hextech Mayhem: A League of Legends Story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqgCESVWNNI

Made by Choice Provisions (Bit.Trip), this is Bit.Trip Runner except League of Legends.

In the Works

Song of Nunu: A League of Legends Story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMH598T6Tns

Made by Tequila Works (Rime, The Sexy Brutale), this is a third person action adventure starring Nunu and Willump, a boy and his pet yeti in Nunu's search for his mother in the frozen land of the Freljord.

Conv/rgence: A League of Legends Story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09h0qtMsom4

Made by Double Stallion (uh, nothing yet), this is a 2D action platformer that's probably a metroidvania starring Ekko. Something to do with Zaun, the polluted undercity counterpart of the wealthy techno-city of Piltover and its ruling Chem-Barons.

Other Riot Games Threads
League of Legends (MOBA)
Legends of Runeterra (Collectable Card Game)
Valorant (Competitive FPS)
Teamfight Tactics (Auto battler)

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Post reserved in case the game list gets long and unwieldy.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Woo! Thanks for making the thread. I picked up Ruined King and can’t wait to dive into it on my 6hr flight. I’ve been really looking forward for Forge to hit full swing so I can start experiencing more of Runeterra but not just via getting called a feeding scrub nooblord cuck in League.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Ruined king is fun. Worth a buy imo. $30 is a fair price point.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ruined King rules and it's amazing how well they've translated the actual champion mechanics into a turn based form.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
I have zero experience or knowledge of League of Legends outside of two episodes of Arcane and Ruined King has been awesome. I always just thought of League of Legends as a sweaty game that I knew I would get my rear end kicked in and didn't even know it had a fully fleshed out world, interesting characters, and a ton of lore. So if anyone is wondering if you need any knowledge of that world before jumping in I can safely say that you don't and the game is still good regardless of your League of Legends experience. Also $30 is a great deal for the amount of enjoyment I am getting out of it. Just don't forget to manually save after every encounter. Auto save seems finicky and it's easy to lose an hour of progress if you forget to manually save.

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 19, 2021

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Just in case anyone picked it up on Switch and is running into performance issues, a fix is coming.

https://twitter.com/RiotForge/status/1461446875165298696

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the level cap on Ruined King.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

zoux posted:

What's the level cap on Ruined King.

Level 30. It's pretty low by traditional RPG standards, but it'll let you fill out most of the runes and abilities by the endgame. The only thing not unlocked by level is each champion's level 3 ultimates, which come from doing a small sidequest unique to each of them that you can access about halfway through the story.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I was expecting the level 3 ultimates to be their League ultimates, and was pleasantly surprised when most of them were their level 2 ultimates. I'm looking forward to seeing what over the top bullshit I get when I unlock the level 3s.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is there a way to shut off the game constantly wanting to show you tutorials every time you start it up, because I might be blind but I can't seem to find a disable button or something.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I wasn’t going to get Ruined King immediately but then I got £25 from a prize draw thing PayPal are doing so I’m getting it now.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dawgstar posted:

Is there a way to shut off the game constantly wanting to show you tutorials every time you start it up, because I might be blind but I can't seem to find a disable button or something.

There are a few bugs that I hope get slammed by an early patch. Top of the list IMO are that, and the fact that Illaoi's first ultimate seems to heal the same amount regardless of how many tentacles it consumes.

edit: I'm not playing on the Switch so I don't know about the performance issues, but if they're bad then they are also a priority and are apparently being fixed soon.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 19, 2021

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Hextech Mayhem has been overshadowed by Ruined King, but it's actually a pretty decent game. Its biggest sin is being rather short, but what's there is quality if you like rhythm platformers. Maybe keep an eye for a sale in the future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pld7581oAMs

pootiebigwang posted:

I have zero experience or knowledge of League of Legends outside of two episodes of Arcane and Ruined King has been awesome. I always just thought of League of Legends as a sweaty game that I knew I would get my rear end kicked in and didn't even know it had a fully fleshed out world, interesting characters, and a ton of lore.

League of Legends itself has minimal lore, in the form of character blurbs, some open-ended stories that accompany them on release, and voice interactions between characters. Amusingly, LoL the game is itself non-canon. Legends of Runeterra did a lot to expand the setting and make it a little more cohesive, and Riot's put out goofy little dating sims and other event games to reinforce that.

For what it's worth, the remaining League goons are very patient towards newbies & would be up for helping you give League a spin, and Runeterra is expanding its singleplayer content so you dont even have to interact with other folks.

Haven't played Ruined King yet because I'm a cheapskate, but every review I've seen has been very positive. The studio (Airship Syndicate) is lead by the creative designer behind Darksiders 1, and their games prior to RK have been a Darksiders spinoff, and an RPG (which I'm told is straight up the game RK is tooled from) for his comic book:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4PHjcfcz0

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 19, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Neurolimal posted:

League of Legends itself has minimal lore, in the form of character blurbs, some open-ended stories that accompany them on release, and voice interactions between characters. Amusingly, LoL the game is itself non-canon. Legends of Runeterra did a lot to expand the setting and make it a little more cohesive, and Riot's put out goofy little dating sims and other event games to reinforce that.

I think part of it is that Riot is just a weirdly-run company that ended up being worth money than God, and they made the odd decision to hire a bunch of (talented!) people to pump out lore and concept art and stuff for years that was totally excessive for a MOBA game. Now it seems like they're actually in a payoff phase with Arcane being really well-received and all the crossover stuff coming out and it's pretty coo"x

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Yeah I’ll chime in too to say that Hextech Mayhem is worth looking at. I expected to spend most of my flight playing Ruined King but I ended up playing more Hextech Mayhem once it got its hooks in me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

goferchan posted:

I think part of it is that Riot is just a weirdly-run company that ended up being worth money than God, and they made the odd decision to hire a bunch of (talented!) people to pump out lore and concept art and stuff for years that was totally excessive for a MOBA game. Now it seems like they're actually in a payoff phase with Arcane being really well-received and all the crossover stuff coming out and it's pretty coo"x

Yeah, like the joke for a long time was they only make one game but still call themselves Riot Games. Then they did the 10th Anniversary of League stream where they basically just ripped off the covers of everything they'd been working on (Legends of Runeterra, the first Arcane trailer, a Diablo-like game we've not heard anything about since, the fighting game that also hasn't been seen since, Valorant before it even had a name) and showed the grand plan of having Runeterra be this whole world you go to and visit different parts of like Disneyland. This whole megapush of League as a franchise in its own right is clearly something they've been laying groundwork for for years.

Personally this is my favourite snapshot of how massive that moment of them just showing everything in one go was.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

njsykora posted:

Yeah, like the joke for a long time was they only make one game but still call themselves Riot Games. Then they did the 10th Anniversary of League stream where they basically just ripped off the covers of everything they'd been working on (Legends of Runeterra, the first Arcane trailer, a Diablo-like game we've not heard anything about since, the fighting game that also hasn't been seen since, Valorant before it even had a name) and showed the grand plan of having Runeterra be this whole world you go to and visit different parts of like Disneyland. This whole megapush of League as a franchise in its own right is clearly something they've been laying groundwork for for years.

Isn't there supposed to be an MMO too, as risky as that feels in this day and age?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I know there's still work going on for the fighting game!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

Isn't there supposed to be an MMO too, as risky as that feels in this day and age?

Yea they already announced the MMO

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Dawgstar posted:

They hired Greg Street aka Ghostcrawler to head it so you can kinda guess where they're going with that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ghostcrawler was head of the lore team and was apparently pushing for an MMO for years as well.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Veev posted:

They hired Greg Street aka Ghostcrawler to head it so you can kinda guess where they're going with that.

The last time an ex-WoW nerd made an mmo we got Wildstar, hopefully the League MMO manages to exceed such lofty heights

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Neurolimal posted:

The last time an ex-WoW nerd made an mmo we got Wildstar, hopefully the League MMO manages to exceed such lofty heights

The people who made Wildstar thought that raid unlocks via lengthy questlines to attune them. Ghostcrawler likely would not make that mistake as I'm pretty sure he joined Blizzard after they did away with Attunements.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The funny thing is in this day and age if you want to top an MMO you need to set your sights on FFXIV, not WoW.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I bought Ruined King because I really liked Arcane, but really have zero interest in either MOBA's or card games. The little I've played so far is pretty good, but it was slightly frustrating that having Swedish keyboard setttings made the game break completely. Switching Windows to to English fixes this, somehow, but now I can't type Swedish letters anymnore, which is a bit annoying.

Oh well, I'll reset it when I finish the game, unless the developer fixes it first.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If you have one, this game feels really good on a controller.

Riot Forge (and Arcane) feel like Riot has finally understood that when you have a cool world and fun characters, restricting them solely to a moba is a waste and you will reach far more people if you do some actual complete experiences.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

curiousCat posted:

I know there's still work going on for the fighting game!

There is! I’m absolutely not a fighting game guy by this looks pretty cool imo

https://twitter.com/riotgames/status/1462201413195350018

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Only bummer with Ruined King so far is it's the crashiest game I've played in quite a long time, on the PS5 at least. Had 5 or 6 hard crashes to the home screen at the end of fights and the autosave is not the most generous. Gotten into the habit of manual saving now but it's still irritating.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I guess there's really no reason for me to but I really was expecting a faster turnaround after they straight bought a pre-built fighting game. Not that it looks anything like Rising Thunder now.

It is extremely ignorant and unreasonable but I thought they bought that whole game engine, the Rising Thunder build they put out was pretty solid.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

The fighting game video looks very stuttery for whatever reason, hope they make it look less like a flipbook in the final version.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

They named their fighting game Project L.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Midgame boss spoilers for Ruined King: Does Ahri pop up to end the fight with Maokai if you lose to him, or only if you win?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Veev posted:

I guess there's really no reason for me to but I really was expecting a faster turnaround after they straight bought a pre-built fighting game. Not that it looks anything like Rising Thunder now.

It is extremely ignorant and unreasonable but I thought they bought that whole game engine, the Rising Thunder build they put out was pretty solid.

Ruined King is flagrantly chock full of asset, animation, and mechanics reuse from Battlechasers to the point where I feel like half the reason Miss Fortune is in the game is because they didn't have to do like, anything to convert Red Monika into her, and that game still took years to make.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Does anyone have any build tips for Ruined King? It's fun but the incoming damage feels ludicrously high to the point that the only way I've been surviving fights is running both Illaoi and Braum, even though Braum does no damage and what I'm doing with him is spamming defend 90% of the time anyway. I'd love to have a party where I'm using all three instead of having one guy just being a punching bag.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eimi posted:

Does anyone have any build tips for Ruined King?

My mainstay party is Braum, Yasuo, and Ahri. Braum's built for pure beef - lots of Physical/Magical Defense and Stamina - and has most of the runes relating to damage shields. The damage shield on crit is hilariously powerful into certain enemies, since it triggers off of anything that crits, so enemies that do multihit attacks can cause him to gain more effective HP than he loses. He's mostly there to spam Taunt, delay enemies with Winter's Bite, and eventually use Inspiring Presence to buff the party up and cleanse debuffs. Ahri and Yasuo are both built for raw damage and crit chance, though Ahri has most of the ability traits and runes related to boosting healing output. I usually open with Ahri using Orb of Deception into Guardian Spirit with the Regen trait, which keeps Braum topped up nicely, and then focus on spamming Orb of Deception and popping Charm or Devour when appropriate. Yasuo keeps Eye of the Wind running to benefit both himself and Ahri, builds up some Overcharge with Steel Tempest, and then either spams Sweeping Blade to build up Steel Tempest stacks and more Overcharge, or Rising Wind against single targets. I usually reserve ult charge either for Ahri's second ult, Yasuo's first (once I've built up a good amount of Overcharge), or Braum's first ult if I'm dealing with debuff-spamming enemies.

A lot of the game's difficulty really comes down to watching the timeline and paying attention to buffs/debuffs more than build, though. Most basic attacks when absorbed by Taunt only do moderate damage, but there's certain debuffs (like the one the bats on the Shadow Isles apply that causes someone to take additional true damage when attacked) that will absolutely rip through someone if they aren't cleansed, and big telegraphed attacks usually do huge damage to anyone who isn't using their defensive instant. Ahri, Braum, and Yasuo all have good ways of clearing debuffs, and Braum can either Defend through big attacks or hit his first ult if it's a partywide deal. So long as you're paying attention to the gameplay state, you can get away with a lot of different champion combos, but I'd say that Ahri/Braum/Yasuo has some of the best synergy and the most diverse toolkit out of all of them.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 21, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Huh, in my experience unless I'm defending, 'moderate' damage is something like 150 damage, which at level 12 is quite a lot. Though the game also seems to consider anything up to 500 damage as 'moderate'. I'm only level 13 but the damage has consistently been brutal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Where are you in the game? At level 13 you should have enough marks to buy the lighthouse key from the low tides blackmarket dealer, which culminates in some level 18 items which are ludicrously better than whatever trinkets you have now. In addition, don't be scared of buying higher level gear than you are now, theres no actual level gating and shops routinely sell stuff 2-3 levels higher than you are.

Beyond that, Illaoi with tentacles heal on hit ability and heal at the end of combat rune +whatever other healing boost you can finagle can near passively carry you through all damage except that enemy in shadow isle with the great hammer.

I've not touched Braum since the opportunity to bench him showed up because hes so much more akward and turn resource intensive to get operational compared to Illaoi

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Barudak posted:

Where are you in the game? At level 13 you should have enough marks to buy the lighthouse key from the low tides blackmarket dealer, which culminates in some level 18 items which are ludicrously better than whatever trinkets you have now. In addition, don't be scared of buying higher level gear than you are now, theres no actual level gating and shops routinely sell stuff 2-3 levels higher than you are.

Beyond that, Illaoi with tentacles heal on hit ability and heal at the end of combat rune +whatever other healing boost you can finagle can near passively carry you through all damage except that enemy in shadow isle with the great hammer.

I've not touched Braum since the opportunity to bench him showed up because hes so much more akward and turn resource intensive to get operational compared to Illaoi

Yeah I deal plenty of damage. I'm 14 now and just exploring all of Bilgewater before I advance the main story by getting Mf's boat ready to sail. I can handle fights usually fine, it's just not without both Braum and Illaoi. Though at least MF is a dps queen and Illaoi is solid damage wise. I've not found the tentacle heal on hit ability is it under her defend upgrade or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's in her passive, I believe.