Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the funniest star trek poo poo i know is that as that jason isaacs fought for his character captain lorca of the USS discovery to have the catch phrase "git'r'done" but was shot down by the writers. do you know any funny star trek stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
going warp 10 turns you into a lizard

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The guy who plays Rom is the best baseball player.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
7 of 9 is significantly responsible for Obama becoming president.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

No less than three of Earth's religions were just caused by visiting aliens who all had nothing to do with each other. Quetzalcoatl was an alien zoologist, a bunch of travelling energy beings inspired the Greeks (who in turn inspired those jerks who hung out with Plato before going on to be psychic ubermenschen), and the devils of the Abrahamic faiths were friendly wizards from the center of the galaxy where for-real magic works (with various biblical patriarchs all being the same randomly immortal guy)

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Samuel Clemens thinks it might be worth giving up drugs for the future.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Mick Fleetwood played a frozen fish man on TNG.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
you can gently caress a ghost, er incorporial energy being

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
tuvok is also the "we ain't found poo poo" guy

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Gene Roddenberry made multiple movie pitches to the studio to the effect of "The Enterprise goes back in time and meets John F Kennedy." Yes, these involved Spock being on the Grassy Knoll in order to preserve the timeline.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

That DICK! posted:

the funniest star trek poo poo i know is that as that jason isaacs fought for his character captain lorca of the USS discovery to have the catch phrase "git'r'done" but was shot down by the writers. do you know any funny star trek stuff?

that would have genuinely improved Discovery, I'm proper annoyed.

Asterite34 posted:

Gene Roddenberry made multiple movie pitches to the studio to the effect of "The Enterprise goes back in time and meets John F Kennedy." Yes, these involved Spock being on the Grassy Knoll in order to preserve the timeline.

red dwarf did it

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

There is an actual in-universe scientific principle, Hodgkin's Law of Parallel Planetary Development, that states that physically similar planets will not only produce similar lifeforms (hence all the aliens that are indistinguishable from human actors), but will go through similar sociological histories. This explains the planets that independently perfectly recreate the Roman Empire and the Declaration of Independence word-for-word.

Note this doesn't apply to the times someone fucks up the Prime Directive and creates a planet of Gangsters or Nazis, or the time aliens read people's minds and psychically create a planet of Cowboys, or the times actual earth organisms are transplanted onto another world by precursor aliens creating a planet of Dinosaurs or Navajo.

The Navajo and other Native American peoples, incidentally, were genetically engineered by different aliens. But that was Voyager so it barely counts.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Where is the planet of Margot Robbies?

Asking for a me.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Extra row of tits posted:

Where is the planet of Margot Robbies?

Asking for a me.

Taurus II! Sadly it's only in the Animated Series, and they literally drain the life energy out of men until they're shriveled husks because weird genre fiction misogyny

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Or that a world of aliens in a TV that were not dangerous would be boring as hell.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Asterite34 posted:

Taurus II! Sadly it's only in the Animated Series, and they literally drain the life energy out of men until they're shriveled husks because weird genre fiction misogyny

That's a great episode despite the misogynist setup because Uhura is the highest ranking officer unaffected by the space sirens, and she solves the problem by stunning the gently caress out of everybody and sorting it out later because Uhura has exactly zero time for this bullshit.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

That DICK! posted:

does Jason Isaac use an English accent because I love the idea of him saying all his lines like that then just going full Texas for his catchphrase

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Whorelord posted:

does Jason Isaac use an English accent because I love the idea of him saying all his lines like that then just going full Texas for his catchphrase

He played it with a thick New York accent, and his catchphrase was "I'm Lorca-ing here"

Discovery season 1 was weird as gently caress.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the michael myers mask is a spraypainted captain kirk mask

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Rick Sternbach worked in a bunch of anime references all over the place; there's Dirty Pair references in a bunch of the filler text shown on computer displays, and Nanmo the robot even got used as a model for not one but two props on the show (The Egg, from Evolution, and the Exocomps):

tl;dr anime is real in star trek

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
in order to get a blanket with the Starfleet logo on it, Star Trek 6 director Nicholas Meyer had to sign a thousand certificates of authenticity in order for Paramount to approve a merchandising run of blankets

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
gene roddenberry called william shatner to make him send an apology note after he was a dick to wil wheaton

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Asterite34 posted:

The Navajo and other Native American peoples, incidentally, were genetically engineered by different aliens. But that was Voyager so it barely counts.

Related, the Native American consultant brought on to inform the development of Chakotay had been exposed nearly a decade prior as faking his ancestry.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

gene roddenberry called william shatner to make him send an apology note after he was a dick to wil wheaton

wasn't that p-stew who made him apologise?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Shut up, Wesley!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Nichelle Nichols won't date Comic Book Guy because he has pie all over his face.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The transporter effect is a bunch of glitter being stirred around in a glass. The space in the background in the windows is a sheet with a bunch of hole poked in it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

It's been a long time since I read Wil Wheaton's account of it, but my recollection is that Wil got a phone call from Gene immediately after receiving the apology note, asking very specifically if he had received the note yet (and then going on to say "Bill's just an rear end")

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
William Shatner is an rear end but he has been to space and will probably live forever.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

All the major humanoid races in the Alpha Quadrant (and, by implication, all DNA-based life) are the product of an ancient precursor race that engaged in acts of panspermia to seed their empty corner of the universe with life that would eventually evolve into intelligent beings like themselves. They even encoded a holographic message into key genetic sequences scattered across the quadrant, a final message to their various child-species, a message of shared legacy and universal brotherhood.

A Klingon saw this message and immediately went "pffff, what's this hippy bullshit? Where's the doomsday device plans? gently caress this we're going home" while the Cardassians scoffed at the notion of being related to all these vermin they share a galaxy with.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I looked up the Shatner/Wheaton story, and there's another anecdote I forgot that's funny:

The William loving Shatner story posted:

I walked into the stage, and took my seat on the bridge of the Enterprise D, next to Brent Spiner.

“I heard about Shatner,” Brent said.

Jesus, was this on the news or something?

“Yeah,” I said.

“You know he wears a toupee, right?”

I giggled. “No, I didn’t know that.”

“Yep. He’s balder than old baldy up there.” He tossed a gold thumb over his shoulder at Patrick.

Imagining Data saying "I heard about Shatner. You know he wears a toupee, right? He's balder than old baldy up there." is funny to visualize.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

All the major humanoid races in the Alpha Quadrant (and, by implication, all DNA-based life) are the product of an ancient precursor race that engaged in acts of panspermia to seed their empty corner of the universe with life that would eventually evolve into intelligent beings like themselves. They even encoded a holographic message into key genetic sequences scattered across the quadrant, a final message to their various child-species, a message of shared legacy and universal brotherhood.

A Klingon saw this message and immediately went "pffff, what's this hippy bullshit? Where's the doomsday device plans? gently caress this we're going home" while the Cardassians scoffed at the notion of being related to all these vermin they share a galaxy with.

To you Klingons, we gave out strength, and to you Romulans, our wisdom, and to you Humans, our horny

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
worf trains for hours every day with phaser that has auto-aim.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Haha. Worfs dumb as hell

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The phasers Starfleet uses has a setting somewhere between "kill" and "vaporize" that makes a human head turn into a gory skull and then explode like a Gallagher watermelon.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Imagining Data saying "I heard about Shatner. You know he wears a toupee, right? He's balder than old baldy up there." is funny to visualize.

That there is not a single photo available of William Shatner without his toupee will always be the greatest failure of the paparazzi profession.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Asterite34 posted:

I was so ready for the stereotypical Star Trek kumbaya peacenik ending here, I almost clapped when the klingons and cardassians reacted with "What a load of horseshit!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Asterite34 posted:

The phasers Starfleet uses has a setting somewhere between "kill" and "vaporize" that makes a human head turn into a gory skull and then explode like a Gallagher watermelon.

I always just read that as the stun setting making those aliens explode. In either case very funny