Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Rick Sternbach worked in a bunch of anime references all over the place; there's Dirty Pair references in a bunch of the filler text shown on computer displays, and Nanmo the robot even got used as a model for not one but two props on the show (The Egg, from Evolution, and the Exocomps):

tl;dr anime is real in star trek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
in order to get a blanket with the Starfleet logo on it, Star Trek 6 director Nicholas Meyer had to sign a thousand certificates of authenticity in order for Paramount to approve a merchandising run of blankets

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
gene roddenberry called william shatner to make him send an apology note after he was a dick to wil wheaton

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

wasn't that p-stew who made him apologise?

It's been a long time since I read Wil Wheaton's account of it, but my recollection is that Wil got a phone call from Gene immediately after receiving the apology note, asking very specifically if he had received the note yet (and then going on to say "Bill's just an rear end")

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I looked up the Shatner/Wheaton story, and there's another anecdote I forgot that's funny:

The William loving Shatner story posted:

I walked into the stage, and took my seat on the bridge of the Enterprise D, next to Brent Spiner.

“I heard about Shatner,” Brent said.

Jesus, was this on the news or something?

“Yeah,” I said.

“You know he wears a toupee, right?”

I giggled. “No, I didn’t know that.”

“Yep. He’s balder than old baldy up there.” He tossed a gold thumb over his shoulder at Patrick.

Imagining Data saying "I heard about Shatner. You know he wears a toupee, right? He's balder than old baldy up there." is funny to visualize.