Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Al-Saqr posted:

I gotta say, this World Cup was incredible, just a complete rollercoaster from start to finish, and the final was incredible, I have many criticisms against qatar but they really pulled off an incredible achievement for the Arab world by pulling off this event as well as they did.

Could specify how they pulled the event off particularly well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

ilmucche posted:

Could specify how they pulled the event off particularly well

Of the three people (that we know of) that died during the tourney only one could possibly be blamed on the hosts. If that's not "particularly well" then maybe you need to re-evaluate your standards :colbert:

/s

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
If the yardstick is "for an Arab country" it's still a tremendous embarrassment and waste of money. If that was the criteria give it to loving Egypt or Morocco (who has wanted it for decades).

I'm sorry, games were mostly good, great final, but gently caress Qatar.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 18, 2022

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity

Pook Good Mook posted:

If the yardstick is "for an Arab country" it's still a tremendous embarrassment and waste of money. If that was the criteria give it to loving Egypt or Morocco (who has wanted it for decades).

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Pook Good Mook posted:

If you thought qatar was bad for human rights wait till you find out what egypt and morocco are like!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Al-Saqr posted:

If you thought qatar was bad for human rights wait till you find out what egypt and morocco are like!

No but really, can you expand on them pulling it off "as well as they did". Only one worker death? Only a few games with ticket problems and videos of spectators not able to get in?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Those places have actual citizens doing things and working, rather than becoming a new class of worthless idle rich.

No Arab country is going to be beacons of acceptance or "Western values." But at least Egypt and Morocco don't subsist on actual legalized slavery .

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The BBC closing montage was incredibly bad

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

ilmucche posted:

No but really, can you expand on them pulling it off "as well as they did". Only one worker death? Only a few games with ticket problems and videos of spectators not able to get in?

Well yeah I mean remember how Mexico killed thousands of its people shortly before the World Cup and how Argentina had the World Cup while in the middle of their death squad years of lead fascist dictatorship? I think for a first time organizer in a region that just developed out of nothing in the last 30 years it’s impressive things worked out as well as they did, still I agree the kafala system is a travesty and should be abolished.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I am not, under any circumstances, gonna "hand it to" the Qataris

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

I can't believe this thread knew so well that Qatar was the Elon Musk of Countries

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lots of journalists dying suddenly while covering the WC this year.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Please ban all the Qanon lunatics that posted after Wahl’s death, Jesus Christ

The people who thought it was a murder, right?

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
They 100% whacked him. They couldn't let the truth about rainbow shirts get out, or something idk

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

EEKA GEEK posted:

They 100% whacked him. They couldn't let the truth about rainbow shirts get out, or something idk

Ya this is what got me. They were always going to get away with it because they don't care and the ones that do care about money more.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

vyelkin posted:

The football was good in spite of the tournament being bad

kind of feels hard to celebrate any of this when you know what underlies it all (capitalism)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Now that the WC is over I'm really excited to never think about Qatar again for the rest of my life

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
:mason:

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Al-Saqr posted:

I gotta say, this World Cup was incredible, just a complete rollercoaster from start to finish, and the final was incredible, I have many criticisms against qatar but they really pulled off an incredible achievement for the Arab world by pulling off this event as well as they did.

Butterfly Valley posted:

How are Qatar responsible for the quality of the foot you cretin

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm still not sure how 2014 cost $11bn, 2018 cost $14bn, but 2022 cost $200bn and it still sucked rear end and there was no metro built.

Good thing those stadiums will now be put to good use

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

vyelkin posted:

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm still not sure how 2014 cost $11bn, 2018 cost $14bn, but 2022 cost $200bn and it still sucked rear end and there was no metro built.

That's the point of money laundering.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

the countries that hosted in 2014 and 2018 already had stadiums and infrastructure

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

I am not, under any circumstances, gonna "hand it to" the Qataris

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

vyelkin posted:

the countries that hosted in 2014 and 2018 already had stadiums and infrastructure

The most expensive stadiums in the world cost $1-2bn, the ones built by slaves should theoretically come out a little cheaper. Same basically for metro lines. $200bn is a lot of cash

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

The most expensive stadiums in the world cost $1-2bn, the ones built by slaves should theoretically come out a little cheaper. Same basically for metro lines. $200bn is a lot of cash

you any idea what it costs to ship all those portacabins in for fans to sleep in

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

you any idea what it costs to ship all those portacabins in for fans to sleep in

It's one shipping container. How much could it cost? 10 million dollars?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I reckon David Beckham alone was about half that cost...

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
I enjoyed the foot at this World Cup especially when Saudi Arabia beat another team. With that in mind that’s why they should get the World Cup

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
they like basically built the entire city of Lusail since the WC was awarded to them, of course they've spent a shitload of money

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Yeah this.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

I don't think you get just how much stuff Qatar built. It isn't just stadiums and metro lines, the city that hosted the final didn't exist 12 years ago and now all the buildings and roads are there even if most of them are empty. A lot of this stuff was planned anyway but was drastically accelerated so that it would finish before the World Cup and be part of Qatar's hosting infrastructure, hence why it gets included in the World Cup balance sheet even though technically a hotel or a road network may not be directly linked to World Cup matches.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

vyelkin posted:

I don't think you get just how much stuff Qatar built. It isn't just stadiums and metro lines, the city that hosted the final didn't exist 12 years ago and now all the buildings and roads are there even if most of them are empty. A lot of this stuff was planned anyway but was drastically accelerated so that it would finish before the World Cup and be part of Qatar's hosting infrastructure, hence why it gets included in the World Cup balance sheet even though technically a hotel or a road network may not be directly linked to World Cup matches.

Cool I hope they turn the Hotels into free homes for migrant workers and they get citizenship

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Cool I hope they turn the Hotels into free homes for migrant workers and they get citizenship

lol you think the cum ghost is gonna go for that

i'm presuming this'll get unpinned as a top level forum soon so as a rando who wandered in here to post but doesn't really care about football and never watched a match y'all were fun, good, and nice to hang out with. thanks for hosting, goons!

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Arivia posted:

lol you think the cum ghost is gonna go for that

i'm presuming this'll get unpinned as a top level forum soon so as a rando who wandered in here to post but doesn't really care about football and never watched a match y'all were fun, good, and nice to hang out with. thanks for hosting, goons!

Goonspeed

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Laffo I only just noticed that’s Jared Kushner standing on the left

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

What gets me the most about this pic, is how much "fun" Elon and Jared are having.

Neither of them gives half a poo poo about football, and maybe only a little more about the status that attending a WC final in a corporate box gives them.

They are hot, cranky, bored, and not even watching the event they paid a LOT of money to be able to attend live.

What a shining advertisement for teh way Qatar handled things!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

puchu posted:

I enjoyed the foot at this World Cup especially when Saudi Arabia beat another team. With that in mind that’s why they should get the World Cup

Saudi Arabia were the last team to beat Argentina so they're now the lineal World Champions

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Why is Elon dressing like Zelenskiy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BrigadierSensible posted:

What gets me the most about this pic, is how much "fun" Elon and Jared are having.

Neither of them gives half a poo poo about football, and maybe only a little more about the status that attending a WC final in a corporate box gives them.

They are hot, cranky, bored, and not even watching the event they paid a LOT of money to be able to attend live.

What a shining advertisement for teh way Qatar handled things!

I was pretty drat bored for the first 75 minutes of that match