Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
The corrupt Qatari World Cup will just push the game back into the honest responsible hands of the humble local club

So I'm looking forward to the European Super League in 2024. Featuring Barcelona, PSG, Juventus and Spurs

edit: Daily Mail, I'll take standard rates for this article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

I know Ireland at USA 94 is something of a joke (although some good performances, get in Houghton!) But Jack Charlton and the Irish team of the time basically called for and pioneered some of the player care stuff we see in modern games. They wanted water breaks, they wanted water to be laid in bottles around the pitch so players could take a drink during any brief stoppage, and they wanted water to be allowed on when someone was down for an injury. All that stuff is standard now, but Charlton and Ireland were made out as cranky fools of a team with no hope trying to upset a tournament they couldn't win.

Never mind the Aldrige incident where some loving moron of an American FIFA official in a ridiculous blue and yellow uniform with no clue about the sport other than he was gifted a job because of connections refused to let them make a sub.

There was a lot of anti-Irish talk during that, while Charlton was making extremely sensible recommendations for playing football in a place with billion degree weather. Things that are now standard almost 30 years later.

As for Qatar, I'm predicting a lot of it will go off without incident. There might be one or two "big events" but most fan stuff will get sorted out diplomatically if you're from a major western nation and if you're not it'll be swept under the carpet by the media looking down on poorer nations. The media will also go whole hog on, "The football is wonderful, despite the problems. Isn't the World Cup wonderful! A time of peace and nations with differences coming together." And it'll all be a giant wet fart and FIFA will continue to take bribes and accept gold watches. And poor people will continue to die.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
- You couldn't pay me to be an England fan
- The alternative is jail
- IT'S COMING HOME, IT'S COMING...

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Is it possible to enjoy sports without booze? Yes, there is "banter" but they'll arrest you for that as soon as looking at you.

It's like it's illegal to be English these days.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
We're fat!
We're Queer!
We cannot have a beer!
Qatariiii, Qatariii!

We're brown!
We're gay!
We do not have a say!
Qatariiii, Qatariii!

We're broke!
We're wives!