Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

the sex ghost posted:

Just remembered the artificial clouds lmao

They had a sort of aircon system in one of the stadiums for some athletics there (world championships, maybe?) and apparently it worked ok for that, but I very much doubt they would do any good for people running around on the grass rather than the track.

I think we'll see some protests from players/teams and a lot of discussion in the run up to and during the tournament, but I don't think it'll really do anything. The tournament will happen and afterwards, most will forget all about it. Maybe I'm being over cynical, but that's how it's worked for any other major sporting events held in questionable environments. The world will be shown a total lie about life in the country during those 4 weeks and then we'll move on.

On a less serious note, Jonathan Wilson said on FW recently that it's already impossible to find accommodation in Doha, because most stadiums are accessible from there. So it will be interesting to see how that plays out. They were talking about bringing in some cruise ships to accommodate people, but I fail to see how that's going to make a dent in the problem. So many fans in such a small area could be spicy, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Flayer posted:

Well obviously but you have to wonder what on earth this particular stunt achieved in that regard. Was it to make MBS grumpy for a day? Qatars international prestige has surely been sullied by this whole debacle.

Like Bogan Krkic said, it's a dick waving contest between them and their neighbours, none of whom care about human rights, etc.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

They're current Asian champions, but seem to have had a terrible record recently, so who knows.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

God I hope we see Italy getting jobbed out to the Qataris in the ro16

Sorry GD

It would be their first knockout World Cup came since the 2006 final. Mental.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Not World Cup related, but...

https://twitter.com/dw_sports/status/1464285895243165698?s=12

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Don't FIFA set up their own courts and take over the police to an extent during tournaments? I know they did in 2010 and I would guess it'll happen here, with a lot of fines handed out.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

ilmucche posted:

Are there really only 2 places fans are allowed to drink outside the stadiums?

That paid ticket event came up on Football Weekly a while back. It's the Arcadia from Glastonbury and looks like this. Think it travels around the world for the rest of the year. Anyway, it starts at €80 to get in and runs from 10am-6am. I can only imagine the cost of booze in there will be extortionate and being at something like that in a desert surrounded by people only there because they can get drunk sounds like hell.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Dave Angel posted:

As mentioned, Football Weekly had a detailed segment discussing what the fan experience would be like with Ashley Brown from the Football Supporters’ Association, who had been on a fact-finding trip to Qatar (here, from 32:20).

Suffice to say, it sounds grim all round.

Nice one, couldn't remember which episode it was.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Easily the worst thing about this World Cup.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

how many drunks will get arrested and tortured for leaving the sober-up zones

I think they'll probably turn a blind eye to a lot of that. Not to downplay the draconian poo poo that goes on there, but don't FIFA sort of take over a lot of poo poo in the country for the tournament? I know in South Africa, they had their own courts to deal with drunken fans and the like quickly and quietly. No idea if that's happening this time, but I would guess it will. Like, during the 1936 Olympics, Berlin was made out to be some sort of idealised city where everyone was happy and welcome and I can see them going that route during the tournament. There's also pretty much always scare stories before a World Cup that's not in Western Europe.

Pook Good Mook posted:

I remember in 1994 where there was a lot of complaints (from European times) about playing games in southern states in the US because of the heat.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Also, if I remember correctly the careers of both men doing the black glove salute were effectively ended immediately afterwards. Avery Brundage, a legendary shithead who was head of the Olympics, basically threatened to send an entire swath of the US Olympic Team straight home if they didn't do his bidding and ban Smith & Carlos.

Oh boy was he that.

IIRC, on top of this, he was instrumental in bringing the Olympics to Berlin in 1936, continuing with the games after the Munich Massacre in 1972 and refused to help Jim Thorpe get his medals back.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

I think this stuff is here so the Qataris can have it documented that they are officially going to "play nice".

To be honest, I don't think this is the case. FIFA basically take over the country for the duration of the tournament so this looks like they're just going to let a lot of things slide for foreigners to paint a better picture of things (just like the 1936 Olympics). There are safety concerns (and scare stories) before every World Cup that isn't held in a Western European country, but they usually turn out ok. Remember how everyone was going to get robbed in 2010 and 2014? Or how gangs of hooligans were going to run riot in 2018?

Now, what happens to locals or once the TV cameras have left is another story, of course.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

A Danish TV crew already had their kit smashed so it's not like we're just re-telling ghost stories that never happen

Nothing was smashed in that incident, as far as I know. They were just interrupted and the speed with which the apology came makes me think those guys weren't following the guidelines. This sounds like I'm defending Qatar and I'm not, at all. I just don't think they'll be arresting people for having a few too many or bringing rainbow flags to a game. Once the tournament is over, then they'll deal with locals who act/speak out once most people have stopped giving a poo poo.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

ilmucche posted:

I think that's probably the guidance from on high. Grit your teeth and let them do as they want then deal with whoever's left at the end. I suspect a lot of individuals aren't going to get the message though and a lot of people are going to end up in the sober zone

Maybe, but I guess we'll see. If we see any of that, I would guess it'll just be in the first few days, unless there's any agro from fans, which seems unlikely with the low numbers travelling. Everyone being in such close proximity is the biggest issue on that.

It won't be as bad as some people are predicting for fans during the tournament and then we'll get some really grim long reads in a few months on what happened afterwards, but most people will have moved on by then, sadly.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

loving lol, I just checked two bookies sites and they're not taking correct score bets on that game!

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

halokiller posted:

Guessing joint country bids will be the norm going forward. what I'm proposing is who's dick England has to suck for the world cup to come back to them.

There was a British Isles bid planned for 2030, but they withdrew once 2028 looked like a better bet.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

vyelkin posted:

England and Ireland but only if they can somehow convince FIFA that this will solve the Troubles once and for all

If a Celtic and Rangers friendly couldn't do it, I don't know what can.

Anyway...

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Genuine question, what do you call it?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Total Meatlove posted:

lizzies lions and the lost 26 :britain:

lol

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

goatface posted:

Great Britain and Ireland.

Eh, I've always found that clunky. I've literally only ever seen anyone give complain about the term British Isles online and in the last few years. Anyway, not the place for this discussion.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ireland doesnt use it, the UN doesn't use it, and IIRC even the British government doesn't use it (at least when dealing with us), so best to just not use it. Its not a human rights violation it just sounds dumb cause it's wrong and colonial

E: vvvvvvv :hmmyes:

Fair enough. I don't agree, but like I said, not the place for this.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Rahu posted:

Qatar will now allow rainbows at all games going forward.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/fifa-promises-rainbow-colours-allowed-135607897.html

Good thing we can be sure this won't be changed again arbitrarily and with no prior notice.

https://twitter.com/Natpirks/status/1596162049754951680?s=20&t=MwFPSbaVFqOzleene1eXYw

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

TheRat posted:

Yeah, you can't do that. that has to have consequences. (But it wont)

Switzerland V Serbia is going to be great, assuming there's something at stake.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Tai posted:

I've always liked how rugby gives a bonus point for scoring tries. Basically scoring 3 goals gives you a bonus point. Win or lose, you get a point for attacking and scoring 3 goals.

Then again, I like how only the captain can approach a referee and it's book able offense to swear at said person rather than having five people screaming abuse at the ref. Same goes for just stopping the clock when play stops instead of ''guessing'' how much extra time there is.

Counterpoint: rugby union is for cunts.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

While we're on the subject of Middle Eastern Olympic bids, lets remember the Saudi bid that would have had all of the women's events in Bahrain
https://www.aljazeera.com/sports/2015/1/27/ioc-dismisses-saudi-bahrain-joint-olympics-bid-hopes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Koreans breathing a sigh of relief

Lol