Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
After nearly a decade, and just in time for the 2021 World Championship match between Magnus Carlsen and Ian Nepomniachtchi, it's time for the brand new chess thread.

The pandemic and corresponding lockdowns have seen a massive increase in the popularity of chess. More people are playing online than ever before, twitch has created a host of new broadcasting (and watching) opportunities, and the Netflix show The Queen's Gambit was a pop culture phenomenon in its own right.

Playing Chess Online

The two main websites these days are https://lichess.org/ and https://chess.com. Both allow for live play, correspondence play, and a host of training games like puzzle rush/puzzle storm. I know that lichess has the goon team lljk. If chess.com has a goon team I'll edit it in here and you can find it at Keep Your Fork.

Live play ranges from bullet (each player gets 30 seconds per move) to longer games where each player gets 45 minutes per game plus 45 seconds per move. Particularly popular speeds are 3+0 (three minutes per player, no added time), 3+2 (three minutes per player, 2 seconds added per move), and 5+0. These games are fast, chaotic, and often decided by who made the last mistake.

Correspondence games give you days per move. Sometimes one day, but more often three or five. These games are good if you want to really slowly think through a position, and consult opening databases when you're starting the game. (Don't worry, the use of opening databases is allowed.) There is one quite prominent correspondence player here who sometimes shares insights into high level play, where the use of computer engines is its own art.

Playing Chess Live

This still exists! If you feel like your area's safety standards are up to snuff, it's a great idea to find a local club to get some games. The over-the-board (OTB) game is quite different in feel from the online game, and comes with the added benefit of sometimes making real life friends. Slower OTB games are some of the richest, and often the most rewarding to analyze.

Professional Chess

In the past there's been a separate pro thread in SAS but we'll try keep it in here this time. Between the pandemic and twitch, a number of top chess players have managed to become mini celebrities, greatly expanding the popularity of the game. The current world champion, Magnus Carlsen, is the strongest (and arguably best) player in history. He's held the championship since 2013, and defended it against Viswanathan Anand, Fabiano Caruana, and Sergei Karjakin. Now he defends against the dynamic Russian Ian Nepomniachtchi. Nepo is not the strongest opponent Carlsen has faced, but he's probably the most dynamic. After a few slightly dull defences, with Carlsen seemingly playing for the rapid tiebreaks, this year's promises to be more interesting.

Where to Watch Chess

There will be a number of options on where to watch people broadcasting the event.

-chess24 is my favourite, and tend to have a good balance between accessible and in depth commentary. These days they tend to have one more serious stream and another more aimed to beginners.
-chess.com is probably the biggest broadcaster.
-FIDE will probably have a very technically-engaged stream for people who want something serious
-The chessbrahs are part of the new wave of chess streamers, and tend to go for a more casual vibe. They usually have access to a bunch of very strong players for broadcasting.
-Former world #2 Hikaru Nakamura is probably the biggest chess streamer, and will probably have his own cast. His stream is very geared towards casual players who mostly want to watch him move fast while spamming memes.

Other players who have their own streams include
-Current world #2 Alireza Firouzja
-Current challenger Ian Nepomniachtchi
-Former world champion Garry Kasparov
-Former world champion Ruslan Ponomariov
-Cricket fan and degenerate card player Peter Svidler
-Maxime Vachier-Lagrave
-And in case you're ever interested, there's usually computer chess too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

player names will go here

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Here's the schedule for the Carlsen-Nepo match. All games start 7:30 AM Eastern Standard Time, I believe

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

nepo’s gonna win

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Hand Knit posted:

If chess.com has a goon team I'll edit it in here.

Dunno know if it counts as a team, but a few chess.com goons are in Keep Your Fork

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

fart simpson posted:

nepo’s gonna win

*stomping and chanting* ne-po, ne-po

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ground floor

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Anyone know if Naroditsky is working for Chess.com or anyone else for the World Champs? I find him and Svidler are the best at explaining super GM level play to intermediate players like me.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
YouTube chess is also massive these days if you're interested in watching recaps and live games.

- agadmator https://www.youtube.com/user/AGADMATOR
- Gotham Chess - https://www.youtube.com/c/GothamChess
- IM Rosen https://www.youtube.com/user/RosenChess

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson posted:

nepo’s gonna win

:toxx: ?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Former world #2 Hikaru Nakamura is probably the biggest chess streamer, and will probably have his own cast. His stream is very geared towards casual players who mostly want to watch him move fast while spamming memes.
This is where I will be. Wesley So guest for day 1.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Anyone know if Naroditsky is working for Chess.com or anyone else for the World Champs? I find him and Svidler are the best at explaining super GM level play to intermediate players like me.
Danya signed a big deal with chess.com just a bit ago so I imagine he will be doing the chess.com coverage, but I'm not sure their plans.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I got into playing chess during the pandemic boom, but I've kinda cooled off / burnt out during the summer. I'm excited to get back in it with the world championship! I miss ChessNetwork recaps but Levy has now filled that void for me.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
you mean "1st and 8th ranks" right :smug:

e: oh god I hosed it up

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 26, 2021

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

qsvui posted:

Dunno know if it counts as a team, but a few chess.com goons are in Keep Your Fork

I've joined both of these, nice to have a catalogue of goon players and hey maybe one day I'll feel the urge to play rapid games.

Thanks for the nice shiny new OP hand knit!

e: There is also a friendly chess Discord so here is a permanent invite link if anyone wants to join https://discord.gg/hqsRZs4MVh

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 29, 2023

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

qsvui posted:

Anyone up for a Lowtax Memorial Trophy tournament?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
As long as it's a daily with 1-day move timers I'm down.

I joined a big 5-day tournament without really thinking it through and might reach the second round at some point next year

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Personally I’m excited to watch the world championship with expert analysis of Grandmaster Benjamin Finegold

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
As long as it's not that russian dude again, who randomly started spouting anti-vaxx bs.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

V for Vegas posted:

Anyone up for a Lowtax Memorial Trophy tournament?

Sorry I don't play bullet chess.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Carlsen has youtube and twitch channels.
On twitch he mostly stream ultrabullet tournaments, actually hasn't for some time. https://www.twitch.tv/maskenissen
The youtube you also get a lot of videos from his team, for example them commenting on a tournament magnus plays in. They announced a stream for the upcomming match. https://www.youtube.com/c/themagnuscarlsen

And the current favourite of the old thread is Daniel Naroditsky, with his great explanations of how to play better chess and his "speedrun".
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHP9CdeguNUI-_nBv_UXBhw
https://www.twitch.tv/gmnaroditsky

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

qsvui posted:

Barely, since all the activity is "Let's have a tournament for all members" once in two years. It's a pity since there seem to be lots of enthusiastic goon players. Maybe time for a new club? Quickpull isn't active in the forum and he played the last game over half a year ago.

Obfuscation posted:

Personally I’m excited to watch the world championship with expert analysis of Grandmaster Benjamin Finegold

He's good or at least honest when the games get boring. Other channels try to squeeze water from a stone and pretend to be excited to analyze the same drawn position for the 4th time in 50 minutes, while Finegold is "Booooring! All moves are zero!" and starts an anecdote about playing in Belgium 30 years ago.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Xtanstic posted:

I miss ChessNetwork recaps

Jerry is still doing live relay and analysis on game days! Day 1 starting shortly~

https://www.twitch.tv/chessnetwork

edit: VVV Chessnetwork is 100% family friendly

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 26, 2021

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Who might be the best but also kid friendliest in terms of language? I kinda want to put it on, but also don't want to traumatize my 3 and 6 year olds.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Also the live feed is up, it does look like as a departure from the previous few worlds it's being streamed on YouTube for free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1XFLBJmd0Y

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

algebra testes posted:

Sorry I don't play bullet chess.

:drat:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

AnacondaHL posted:

Also the live feed is up, it does look like as a departure from the previous few worlds it's being streamed on YouTube for free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1XFLBJmd0Y

Nah, they always did that and then switched to paid for after either half of the day or half of the tournament.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Game 1 seems to have finally moved beyond the preparation stage. After Carlsen plays 16…c5. Black has gambitted a pawn. In exchange he’s got a lead in space & development (in particular, white has trouble placing the b1 knight) but doesn’t seem to have much of an attack. Without the attack I kinda like white here. The less immediate black’s threats, the better white’s chances to consolidate eventually.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The bishop pair is kinda pointed directly at...nothing.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

edit: VVV Chessnetwork is 100% family friendly

Unlike GM Benjamin Finegold whose second thing said after I opened the stream was "it's irrelevant that White controls the e file here because they can't penetrate...they don't allow that sort of thing in the UAE"

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

silvergoose posted:

The bishop pair is kinda pointed directly at...nothing.

The pressure on g2 is actually pretty tough for white to handle. Right now, both the K on f1 and the N on f3 are dealing with it, meaning that the bishop is pulling more than its weight. Black definitely has compensation for the pawn, which means that what's currently happening on the board is happening roughly in black's favour. It's just that I don't see much active threat for black. But also, as Giri just said on the chess24 stream, Black has a lot of ways to shuffle, and the more he can safely shuffle the more chances he gives to Nepomniachtchi to gently caress up.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Jerry (chessnetwork) is a bit soft spoken for my taste but his soothing voice has put my toddler to sleep so now I can go do some actual work, thanks Jerry!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Carlsen is having to go backwards and reorganize, and it starts to feel like consolidation might be coming. A few exchanges and white can start thinking about solving the doubled b pawns.

e: And Nepo decides he's had enough and tries to simplify into a drawish endgame.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

This game is getting into some very strange manoeuvring. It kinda feels like Nepo is trying to consolidate but hasn't figure out how to reconcile (1) placing his knight defensively and (2) placing his knight actively.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
chess.com has the video feed from the arena, but they also paywall the VOD, so you have to spend 5 bucks to see what happened earlier in the day. Very annoying Danny I know you're a goon please fix.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Ground floor of new chess thread for me to use as a journal.

Following the suggestion of the previous thread: I mostly play on chess.com, and am a very low rated player (sitting somewhere in the 650-700 range).

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

BUG JUG posted:

Ground floor of new chess thread for me to use as a journal.

Following the suggestion of the previous thread: I mostly play on chess.com, and am a very low rated player (sitting somewhere in the 650-700 range).

Hey, low-rated buddy. xD34THROW on there, I'm 521 in rapid because I ride the blunder buss :dadjoke:

This thread and goonclub have convinced me to start playing again here and there.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

chess.com has the video feed from the arena, but they also paywall the VOD, so you have to spend 5 bucks to see what happened earlier in the day. Very annoying Danny I know you're a goon please fix.

Paywalled VOD on Twitch but not YouTube I think.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Carlsen gives the draw once Nepo fixes his knight. The more I think on it, the more I really like the move h4 by Nepo. The pawns are still weak, but the move makes it so that only Carlsen's king can get at them. And since Carlsen's queenside pawns are both isolated, the king will never have time to make the long journey through g7 and h6.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Just did my first bullet game and was JUST starting to win when time ran out. What does 1 | 1 mean on chess.com? I was playing 1 minute.

quote:

1. e4 Nc6 2. Nf3 d6 3. Bc4 e5 4. O-O Be6 5. Bxe6 fxe6 6. Nc3 a5 7. d3 Nd4 8. Bg5
Qd7 9. Nxd4 exd4 10. Ne2 h6 11. Bf4 e5 12. Bg3 Qg4 13. f3 Qh5 14. h4 Be7 15. c3
Nf6 16. cxd4 g5 17. dxe5 dxe5 18. Qa4+ c6 19. f4 gxh4 20. Bxh4 Qxh4 1-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
i'd think it is 1 minute with 1 second increment per move.