Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Poo slime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Breetai posted:

True crime fans are ghouls who feast on the misery of others.

"Oh hi Mrs Jones! Your daughter? The one who was kidnapped, assaulted, tortured and bludgeoned to death? I just wanted to say I'm a huuuuge fan. Yeah, the forensics on the body that were leaked revealed that she screamed herself hoarse while the guy was killing her to the point where it shredded her larynx, and I gotta say that it's little details like that which make it so much more compelling to me."

Basically how I see it. Imagine if someone was obsessed with mass shooters or Holocaust torture experimentation, they'd be seen as utterly hosed up, I don't see how this is any different.

The victims of serial killers mostly died in extreme pain, terror, and confusion, not exactly some poo poo I want to lap up nonstop for hours on end every couple of days. There's morbid fascination and then there's this loving weird obsession

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I think what makes it the worst for me is the obsession with the killers and how they killed people and mutilated their bodies and poo poo, like just degrading other human beings to the extreme, and true crime ladies always act all quirky and post FB statuses about how their depression "self care" is laying in bed smoking weed and listening about how human beings were utterly brutalized, like cool, real edgy and unique of you. loving wack

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Tell me again how im supposed to treat this differently than an edgy thirteen year old boy talking about pain and suffering and darkness except these people are all grown rear end mfers and don't have the excuse of being a child

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I dont buy that poo poo, part of the "appeal" are the graohic descriptions of vile poo poo and the forensic minutiae surrounding that, in the end the part people give the least poo poo about is the judicial element and the sentencing

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Shut up wow shut the gently caress up

Eat my poo poo bitch!!!!!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Nigmaetcetera posted:

That’s exactly why it’s fascinating. Rational actors are boring, I can understand logically why they do the things they do. Madmen? They cannot be understood in a conventional sense, you only get brief insights into their pathology, if any.

Gazing into the abyss is a perfectly wholesome pastime imo, this whole thread is pretty judgmental.

Lol they're not "madmen." Bar the few cases of severely mentally ill killers like Richard Chase most of them are sane and functional outside of their proclivities. Sadism and sexual fantasies based off of violence aren't absurd concepts, neither are intense compulsive behaviors and preoccupation with death. The most you can say about them is that they have a personality disorder or two that's still common in the general public. There are an extensive amount of narcissists who never turn into murderers but we don't take particular interest in the "garden variety" types who we often just perceive as assholes instead of deeply lacking basic empathy. Serial killers for the most part are people who just really want to see someone die and like it so much they do it repeatedly, all the mechanics for it are usually not complicated either, severe abuse leading to the aforementioned personality disorders or neurological damage and dysfunction. It's about as exciting once removed from the violence they commit as grandpa having a stroke and his personality changing. This is supported by the fact that people like Dennis Rader were astoundingly boring outside of what they did.

But that's the truth of it, they become mythologized, they are interviewed extensively, interrogated, and speak all they want on the stand, we take their self-important prattling at face value and begin to believe ourselves that whatever grandiose designs they professed to were as spectacular and bizarre as they made it out to be instead of the simple reality that they felt a desire to butcher people, and again, felt a compulsion to continue to do so after the first person they murdered.

That's where the fascination stems from, the mythology, and like any good myth the more gruesome the more entertaining people find it. That's why the pain and suffering is an inextricable element. The biggest mistake people make is reading the poo poo killers have said about their own crimes and full on believing the words of people who want to luxuriate in power when it comes to whatever ridiculously overwrought narrative they've constructed for themselves. It's like knowing someone is a pathological liar but still giving stock to their histrionic self indulgences. If you strip that poo poo away they're no more "fascinating" than a mass shooter who just really wanted to blow some people away because they wanted to feel power.

Their singular, often lonesome nature only exacerbates the tendency to view them as almost otherworldly. The biggest mistake that was made societally was framing them as complex villains with designated monikers who are frequently given a mouthpiece in media - not necessarily because that creates more serial killers, they'd do what they do anyway, but because it's created this utterly bizarre industry around virtually aggrandizing them as much as possible and creating a public desire to feed off of the spectacle.

People clearly do this poo poo with war as well, and human atrocity in general, but in those cases there's more material perspective on the entire world and society at hand, instead of these microcosms of pain and anguish we magnified into larger than life figures rather than the flesh and blood, simple, uncomplicated human killers they were.

I don't think interest in these things is unusual or bad, I don't think reading about them is either, there has been True Crime poo poo that has done demonstrable good, but that's not why the average person consumes it nor is it by majority driven by that impulse, it's just the exact ghoulish indulgence in human misery I was bitching about earlier. Twee podcasts delighting in Wikipedia read-throughs of abject pain are loving asswaste garbage.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Poopass dookie head!!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Holy poo poo do you think I’m gonna read that? I read where you mentioned Richard Chase though, and he was exactly who I had in mind. He’s not my "favorite" serial killer, I don’t have a favorite, they’re loving repugnant people, but some are more interesting than others to me, and Richard Chase is at the top of my list as most interesting.

Here’s a video about his sick rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8TC_uElqCg

Read it or I'll piss on my own rear end.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Ok I will when I’m not margarita-drunk.

drat u getting wasted early on Sunday

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Nigmaetcetera posted:

My dad drunkenly fell and was trapped in a piece of collapsed furniture for 18 hours and is now in the ER being scanned for poo poo and injected with morphine and I’m probably going to have to get power of attorney from him while he’s in rehab for his back and his alcohol addiction. I feel like that’s an adequate excuse. Hypocritical, but whatever, he’s the one with the problem, for now.

That's crazy poo poo man good luck with everything

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Colonel Cancer posted:

What kind of vice enhances people's lives lmao

Suckin dick

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Alchemist posted:

Whats not to like? It's got action, stealth, open world gameplay, branching storyline, helluva soundtrack and pretty good graphics for the playstation 2 age

I liked the open-world patrol parts between missions the most, you could do unwarranted drug searches on black pedestrians like a true L.A. detective.

I liked the insanely loving busted sequel more.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

sharknado slashfic posted:

What if I liked that Mindhunter show on Netflix (outside of that one plot point, you know the one) but I've never listened to a true crime podcast?

That show is extremely good and pretty much often dings the protagonist for being a huge weirdo so it gets it right by my book.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Breetai posted:

The flaw in your logic is that people who aren't you have loved ones who care about them.

And that people who are victims of violent crime probably don't like the idea of potentially having been a morbid curiosity. There's plenty of reasons why we should show at least a modicum of respect.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Wendigee posted:

here's some crazy poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCvcd0FYi58LwyTQP9LITpA

its true life.... there isn't much interesting crime but its really interesting

This is a good rear end channel but it's def not true crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

sigher posted:

They don't have any have any more ideas.

I'm talking about people who survived that type of poo poo.