Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I'm a dude but I get into phases where I watch Dateline and for me the appeal is to feel like a smarty pants and make a hard decision as to whether or not the accused did it or not. That and watching complete trainwrecks that make me feel better about my own life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

The best one for me was the Dateline where a woman married a dude that her dad basically fell in love with because "he had boats and planes and took us on vacations and was Christian and from the Mid-west". Then she fell in love with some other guy and her dad and husband drove up to her new boyfriend's house to try to intimidate him and got met with guns in a standoff situation before pussying out. Then the husband killed her and it turned out he was a phony who was in a huge amount of debt and had a history of faking mental episodes to get out of obligations. He also definitely killed his first wife by blowing her up in a vehicle fire in the middle of nowhere.

After all that, the main murder victim's dad was just like, "I try to bring everyone to the light of Jesus Christ, who could have seen this coming?".

Todd Winkler was the murderer. There's not a Wikipedia page for him but the Dateline episode is called "Deadly Twist" and is free to watch on Peacock streaming.

I spoiled a lot but I'll leave some mystery and say that Todd Winkler has an outburst in court that is just the :discourse: on top of all the ridiculousness that leads up to it.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 27, 2021

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Goons love to poo poo on SNL but Bill Hader is a great comedic actor and his sketches as Keith Morrison are hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5Lv6t0moFY

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

I think there's a certain demographic watching these shows who have suffered past trauma and the appeal is that in these shows, the accused usually gets publicly shamed and thrown in prison. Not what I'd call being an edgelord at all.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

I bet women probably don't love A Serbian Film. Would they love it if it was a true story?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I am gonna check this out. But I wanted to say as someone who has watched Dateline and 48 Hours for about 15 years now, easily the best episode ever of either of them was this one: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/48-hours-yancy-noll-death-dinh-bowman-student-of-murder/

Will def check it out. Thank you. :)

There's an Unsolved Mysteries channel on PlutoTv and the main thing I've learned from watching it is that men used to be able to beat the poo poo out of their wives and law enforcement wouldn't do anything about it until maybe after they were finally dead. I mean, it still happens but it used to happen more.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

les enfants Terrific! posted:

human drive to see/hear something hosed up and go "drat that's hosed up"

Literally the original and continuing premise of these dead and gay forums.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

The whole video is available at the link.

We're watching your episode now :munch:

Cool, I'm watching the Yancy episode right now.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Breetai posted:

So cool and normal that you offer up the death of someone you knew as entertainment in this thread, hey maybe you could tell everyone about what he said he wanted to be when he grew up before he was cut down before his time, that would really increase the poignancy and drive engagement.

Settle down, Beavis.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

My boobs melted as I sat by the fire.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

But I wanted to say as someone who has watched Dateline and 48 Hours for about 15 years now, easily the best episode ever of either of them was this one: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/48-hours-yancy-noll-death-dinh-bowman-student-of-murder/

So I finished watching this and a few points I have are these:

1. I've owned a half dozen BMWs and that was a really amateur move to not get the window replaced with original BMW glass. There are clear markings that differentiate the two and it's not really a small detail.

2. He should have just found some totally different wheels with tires already on them from a junkyard or something. He already was willing to drive 4 hours away, he should have just gone to a junkyard and paid cash. Same with the window.

3. Broken glass is like glitter and you'll never get it out of your car once it gets in. He should have really tried harder to strip the car and detail the gently caress out of it if he had any hope of hiding that.

4. The cops were straight assholes during the interviews and I hate that they do that poo poo to people because they do it to innocent people too and railroad them. Never talk to cops and don't let them intimidate you. They lie their asses off, especially when they're desperate and don't have poo poo to go on.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Thanks, my wife and I just put this on!

I hope you're enjoying the episode. My big takeaway from it was that everyone sucks except Tim. I hate everyone in this episode except him and he's the only sympathetic person in this entire story.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

The daughter kind of got caught up in the situation and I think she was naive about how uncool the whole thing was. I can't blame her though. All the adults around her were playing a dangerous game and they're hosed up for putting her in the middle of it.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

beep by grandpa posted:

the female urge to be murdered in a park & receive months of flattering media coverage imo

Practically asking for it.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Spinz posted:

I have no idea whatsoever, shits gross and depressing.

My thing is plane crashes, that's the good stuff. It was a glorious 5 days reading 1000 pages about Air France 447 on Pprune for the first time. :love:

Mayday/Air Crash Investigation is definitely my poo poo. Also, Seconds from Disaster.

I think maybe women like recreations of more personalized disasters and men like recreations of mechanical/systemic disasters?

:edit: In general, I mean.

Edmund Sparkler fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 27, 2021

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Mooey Cow posted:

It's because of the vaginas. Women like crime because of their vagina. It is known.

When will women take responsibility for their crime-ridden vaginas?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

A thread complaining about women is very on-brand for this place.

GBS hates women.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

hey did you ever get that DV charge expunged?

You got me. I'm a Lowtax alt and I'm grave postin.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

That sure is a creepy colon.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

I hate serial killers!

They're kinda real big jerks!

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Nigmaetcetera posted:

My dad drunkenly fell and was trapped in a piece of collapsed furniture for 18 hours and is now in the ER being scanned for poo poo and injected with morphine and I’m probably going to have to get power of attorney from him while he’s in rehab for his back and his alcohol addiction. I feel like that’s an adequate excuse. Hypocritical, but whatever, he’s the one with the problem, for now.

Which true crime story is this?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

The OSHA.jpg thread is like the male equivalent of true crime for women.

Instead of studying the psychology of why people kill innocent human beings, it's about the psychology of why people get killed by innocent machinery.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

How did "true crime" as a phrase come to refer almost entirely to murder? Are there any "true crime" podcasts that only cover crimes like jewel heists or art forgery?

There's a lot of YouTube channels about what prison is like and the hosts are usually guys who were in for theft and burglary type crimes. They usually tell a lot of stories about their criminal lifestyle before they got caught.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Wizard Master posted:

There's a McElroy brothers megathread in the podcast forum where you get probated if you say "soy" because it's considered a slur

Being called Wizard Master should be considered a slur.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Yaldabaoth posted:

Whatever, I just don't like how soy implies the guy is bad for not being big and muscular.

I 100% agree with you and I'm lolling at your post/avatar combo.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

This stuff is really good and I buy it sometimes for my vegetarian mother.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

OMFG FURRY posted:

yo soy chorizo

Hola, corizio. Soy tu padre. :dadjoke:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

My hot take is that using derogatory terms spread by alt right and proud boy types is probably a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Nuts and Gum posted:

Imagine having a real opinion of the term soyboy lmao

oh no