Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think it's about time for the NFL draft thread. As of this OP we're approaching bowl season and getting past rivalry week so everything is subject to change between now and April.

Initial top prospects:
1. Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU - Premier prospect had an unbelievable true freshman season but has been dealing with a fucky foot ever since. Complete package that can do any type of coverage all over the field. Facing accusations of not being that hurt and quitting on the team as there was noticeable drop off in his play from his freshman year. His tape is absurd though, and the battles he went through with Alabama his freshman year were getting him talked about as a top 5 pick as an 18 year old.

2. Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame - Random athlete that Notre Dame somehow turned into a the rangiest guy in the NCAA. Constantly around the ball, elite tackler, and has the size to match with pretty much any TE. Pretty much no flaws in his game and his versatility compared to his size is absurd. Might legitimately be in contention as the #1 pick while being a safety, although I could see the attraction to turn him into a LB.

3. Kayvon Thibodeaux, DE, Oregon - Projected #1 pick in the draft at the moment for a good reason. Absolutely dominant when on the field, gets into the backfield seemingly every down in a variety of ways. Elite first step and huge power, plus he mixes up his pass rushing moves like a veteran starter. Only knock against him is his injury history.

4. Aidan Hutchinson, DE, Michigan - The other potential #1 pick. Hutchinson has spent the entire year getting double teamed and ran away from and still has oodles of sacks and TFLs. Not exactly the most complete pass rusher but a physical presence in the same vein as Mario Williams or Jadeveon Clowney. Lost his last year to a leg fracture that he looks pretty much completely recovered from.

5. Evan Neal, OT, Alabama - Along with Stingley Jr graded out as one of the top prospects ever in college football. Plugged in all over the line before solidifying at LT with Leatherwood finally not unfairly occupying that spot. Absolutely huge, moves with ease, plays pretty much every snap, and has sound technical hug block skills ala Bahktari.

6. Ikem Ekwonu, LG, NC State - Another huge guy who's graded out as one of the best run blockers in NCAA history (according to PFF). Quinton Nelson type who absolutely demolishes everyone. Gets to the second level with ease. Started at LT for them some but looks a bit overmatched there. Still some of the most fun tape to watch out there.

7. Kenyon Green, OL, Texas A&M - Another guy who played all over the line and did well in every spot. Supremely quick OG with great situational awareness. Excels as a help blocker and pull blocker. Not the biggest or most powerful but his technique and feet are probably the best in the class, plus the versatility should easily let him go top 15.

8. Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia - Star of the potent Georgia defense and maybe even the actual best player out of the 50 LBs they have. Another star recruit, he had a slow start his freshman year before turning into an all around machine. Great pass rusher, high coverage IQ, huge stick tackler. His athleticism belies his size and his intelligence should easily make up for any issues with his closing speed. Might be a top 10 pick if teams get over his size issues. I think he's one of the best pure players the draft has seen in years. Also one of the younger players in the draft, if not the youngest I believe.

9. Jordan Davis, DT, Georgia - He's huge. There's no denying it. He's also surprisingly fast and has fun highlights. Those two things will probably make him go top 15 which is why I'm listing him here. I thoroughly believe he has no idea how to play DT and he consistently gets stood up by guys literally 50 lbs lighter than him. By all accounts a good person so I hope the best for him but I don't think he's that great at the moment.

10. George Karlaftis, DE, Purdue - Had a great freshman year before losing all last year to covid. Constant grind em out DE that never gives up on a play and uses his bull rush and long arms to collapse pockets. Not exactly a star athlete like his competition but his size makes up for it.

Now to talk about the QBs:

I have no idea. They all look like poo poo in their own way but one of them is bound to stand out. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The WRs:

Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Treylon Burks, Drake London, Jameson Williams, George Pickens, Justyn Ross, Jahan Dotson, John Metchie III, and Jalen Tolbert all look like top 50 picks. Throw a dart at a board and get one, hope it lands on Wilson, London, or Burks. Beware Chris Olave for he is thoroughly average.

Yes I know Duke has a tall white guy named Bobo. No he's not good.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Alaois posted:

the number 1 overall draft pick is actually going to end up being Matt Corral for some reason, op

Yes the world is a cruel place

Chucktesla posted:

Draft Araiza in the top 10 cowards

zimbomonkey posted:

the only important player in this draft is sdsu's punter.

Stonehouse is just as good and can be had for a 6th rounder instead of a 2nd

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chucktesla posted:

Might need to move Aidan Hutchinson up the list

I missed the entire game because I thought it was Friday but again this is the prime reason early draft threads suck

Gatts posted:

I’ve heard this is a rough year for drafting as some good talent has an extra year to stay in college due to Covid or something. Is this true? Or is there some talent to be had?

For the Browns while QB is inconsistent I think I would like us to be stronger on defense and shut things down. Maybe a great WR but if Baker can’t use OBJ then that’s useless.

It's a super deep year for everything but RB, QB, and Safety. TEs are a little weak too but there's a lot of projects there that could excel with development. CB is the deepest it's been in years, same with LBs. Leal and the Georgia boys should make this a good year for DTs but it kinda drops off after them. DE/Edge are absurdly stacked this year both in top end talent and versatility. Ton of solid if not world beating WRs outside Garrett Wilson. Oline is top heavy in all the positions but there's a lot of solid project guys there that might be something. Plus this is the Daniel Faalele year finally, even if he does suck. QB is the question mark since I can't find really solid good looking tape on any of them besides Willis. Pickett, Armstrong, Ridder, Howell, Corral, Strong, Jurkovec, they all look like and throw like college QBs. I'm sure one of them might distinguish themselves to sneak up to a top pick but at this moment I wouldn't draft any of them in the first.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

hes so big, much bigger than jordan

Cavauro posted:

who's the best wr available at pick number 21

it's a secret

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Great work as always TGG

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Howie has been to a couple Pitt games in person and I'm terrified he's gonna spend a top 10 pick on Kenny Pickett

Is there anything he's doing different this year than he did in his previous 3 years of blah? I know you mentioned he still has mechanical flaws, did he actually fix it somewhat this year or was it present since day 1? Or is his massive year soley because he spent there years with the same dudes and developed a psychic connection over the years

Two of his main offensive components this year were underused freshman last year. Either way I think he's an example of just putting in a ton of work to get better. His offense is play action out of the shotgun and he looked a lot calmer in this years tape compared to last years. Like TGG said the Clemson game is a good example of him getting constant blitz's and handling it well. He took what the defense was giving him and still had the ability to test the defense when the short game was pulling the safeties up. Also shows how much of a boon Addison was for him this year. Yeah he's got mechanic problems and has to put his whole body into a throw to produce the velocity from his highlight reels but I see a guy who can easily fit into the designed roll out offenses that are becoming so hip in the age of mobile oline.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Olave seems like the most stereotypical Pats WR ever with the caveat that they won't draft him because some stupid team will take him in the top 25

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I was wondering why people keep thinking Corral has a cannon

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheGreyGhost posted:

He should be going top 10. Best LB prospect possible--like if Parsons hadn't had the character questions. Covers and moves better than Roquan did. Shoots gaps like it's second nature. My only quibble with him is that he's occasionally too aggressive at the numbers and potentially going to draw some holding calls against the better receiving TEs in the NFL..

Yeah there was a screen in the NCG that he completely over pursued on and got lost with a simple cut back. He's just too fast for his own good. Plus the Georgia LBs this year were really good at sticking their tackles and finishing them to the ground. Can't really do that without a ton of momentum and is definitely a coached trait.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Man you'd think that if your job was to do mock drafts you'd at least have it updated to reflect coach and GM firings after black monday

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Eifert Posting posted:

There's an alternative timeline where Daltos doesn't think mock drafts are stupid and he's earning six figures writing mocks for ESPN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPcyTyilmYY

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ornery and Hornery posted:

He’s the perfect prospect quit hating :mad:

He's right but it's not like behemoth blockers that can't block are guaranteed failures. I could see him easily fitting in a zone blocking scheme that ignores the whole unable to contain anyone problem

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

So how accurate are the Linderbaum/Jason Kelce comps?

Linderbaum's tape basically pops out in the same way Kelce's does with his intelligence. It's good coaching to teach oline to have their head on a swivel and will probably separate the turn of the millennium greats from modern day ones like Yanda, Brooks, and Nelson. Linderbaum is just five times the technician Kelce could hope to be and it definitely comes from his wrestling background. He's all sumo and has such a nice, easy bend to his blocks to get low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ndVGJxu-78

I don't think he's as versatile as some draft reports make him out to be. I can't picture a lot of offenses that would want a short, thinner anchor anywhere but LG for zone schemes and even then he'd probably be wasted there. It just sucks that center is a meh position and becoming one of the most fungible ones. Teams just pass way too fast too often now and guys like Creed Humphrey are setting records with above average play.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Cavauro posted:

do you think any of the OT prospects would be high-end OG prospects. anybody.

I have a cabal of draftniks that have all agreed not to answer this question

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Carlosologist posted:

who is the best OT prospect this time around? The Giants are picking at 5 and I can't imagine they'll pass up on one of those guys

Depends on what you want but I think the best fit for Daboll's offense, or at least the one we saw in Buffalo, is probably Ekownu or Green. Big move guys that fit a bunch of positions. Giant's main problem is no RT, Hernandez being a stiff, and tons of injuries. They kind of went into this year assuming the surprising starters from the season before were going to be around and then they got devastated. Like people think the Ravens were bad last year but the Giants had as many games lost to injury among personnel and more to starters. If the rumors of Mara meddling in draft picks are true I can definitely see not only one oline but a few getting picked up this year. Looking at Kinnard or Penning in the second or Donovan West/Sean Rhyan later. They have two third round and two fifth round picks this year and no cap space so they're bound to be looking at depth somewhere.

I'd still rather d-line or a luxury pick with Hamilton/Stingley with the 5th though. The defense definitely needs help there way more and some guys coming back might help the o-line enough to warrant later picks there.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Pain of Mind posted:

Every player this draft is like an above average player in the league but better, apparently. The first draft with no busts.

Usually happens every year due to testing averages constantly going up and people needing to hype their draft guides. Average person is more receptive to positivity than negativity.

This is a pretty weak class overall with a lot of average to bad players getting into the top 100. The top 10 has two converted guards, a CB that didn't try for two years, probably one unwarranted QB when alls said and done, and a bunch of meh DEs getting overhyped because they're big. The only positions that seem to be particularly deep are OT and WR. Talking heads can't say poo poo like that because click bait doesn't work that great if you think all the players suck.

Of course everyone can be wrong and this could be a great year but last time a similar draft to this one happened was 2013.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
CEH was super overrated from being on an all world offense that forced already thin college teams to put at most two in the box against him. Chiefs were about the best place for him to land and he still sucks. NFL teams should only listen to me about RBs.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I could see Thibodeaux drop due to his leg injuries but Schwartz is right the tape ain't making him drop

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Poor Hutchinson is going to get hated on for the entire draft process because Michigan was outclassed by Georgia across the board. Having a huge guy that can consistently wiggle through the line, even though it doesn't look good, is top 5 worthy.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheGreyGhost posted:

It sort of reminds me of when Clowney was playing hurt and just kind of gave up on speed/gap shooting for a while in favor of just being a spill and kill monster who would try to mash his blocker to minimize need to cut--give yourself space to use your gifts and reduce the margins.

That's exactly who he is though which again is pretty valuable. Clowney would still probably get taken pretty high in a redraft that year. The majority of the NFL still just lines up in Cover 1 or Cover 3 with blitz cover 1 packages on passing downs. All nickel with the death of strong side LBs. So yeah he probably won't fit a lot of schemes unless he goes to some team that wants to mimic the Bucs defense. Still though I could see him getting coached up into a driving bullrusher to fit those strong side gap schemes for the cover 1. He'll probably have to put on more weight for that but you never know in these NFL programs. One thing that's interesting about that is he has really strong and quick hands. I could totally see him playing those shifty schemes the Ravens draw up that go for zone mismatches. Line him up all over the line, let him wait a second while a stunts happening, then try to outlength a guard/smaller LT. His motor and stick ability is absurd for schemes like that, but again he won't be able to overwhelm and wiggle past NFL guards like he does in college. Who knows, maybe he'll be Joey Bosa, maybe he'll be taller Clelin Ferrell. I'm just always impressed by kids in college that aren't afraid to tackle or don't wince up before a hit. It's my weakness in judging prospects.

ESPN downtalking Thibodeaux is probably because they need some sort of storyline to go with in a non-QB draft. Solid franchise DE pick for a team that already has their QB of the future sells nothing. So instead it's going to be a lot of alarming takes on the OTs and DEs to drive views. Then when there's a wildly different actual draft than their mock drafts they can sell controversy over the picks. Not anything evil, but definitely a result of an entertainment network trying to sell what is essentially an extremely boring hiring process.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
A goon will say never draft a RB while wanting a center in the top 5 while ignoring that the only position getting phased out in the NFL is strongside LB like they're still living in 2008

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Play posted:

this is a very confusing sentence but i gather the gist is that you are superior to all others, no?

Yes. It's also rooted in the overwhelming biological need for a goon to think they came up with the hidden piece of the puzzle when they walk in here talking about not drafting RBs.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Psh Only a goon will say never post a mock
Ignoring this ain’t the forums from 08. All we GOT are redrafts… and Grey Ghost of course

All you've had the past few weeks is defending your racist rear end organization

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Hamhandler posted:

can you tell me the difference between outside zone, wide zone, and stretch zone while we have you here?

from what I've gathered is they're different aiming points for the back, and wide zone is going to be more designed to cut inside and outside more towards taking the edge if it's there... is stretch zone different, or a synonym for one of the two basically?

Just where you run. Inside zone is on your guard, wide zone is off your tackle, and outside zone is lining up your RB by your TE. The differences in blocking schemes for Oline comes down to where you plant your drive foot before engaging in a block. So for instance inside zone teams will have guards driving with their play side foot to hit defenders with double teams and second level gap seals.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah the difference is I don't knee jerk defend my racist rear end team lmao

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Henchman of Santa posted:

Can we have an RB rundown while we're on the subject?

Lots of mediocre talent with Isaiah Spiller flirting with a top 50 pick.

Kenneth Walker is a shifty bowling ball that should have been in the top 4 Heisman discussion for the Miami game alone and also a one year wonder. Mel Tucker kind of let him do whatever he wanted this year which transformed him from a one cut back to a workhorse. He's got solid burst, nothing world beating, and keeps his feet churning. Could see him sticking but I don't know if he can get past the same arm tackles he got a lot in the big ten. Isaiah Spiller is a fluid athlete, big, powerful, good hands. Took a ton of shotgun snaps in that offense and basically got to work against DEs a lot. Really strong feet but he's not going to break anyones ankles. Probably wouldn't be much in a traditional pro set but you never know with big guys. He's fast enough but probably won't blaze into the second level. Don't really need that if you're running 4 personnel though. Breece Hall is the Matt Campbell career maker. Another big, all world athlete. Wants to blow past everyone with his speed. Doesn't block worth a poo poo but you probably wouldn't use him on passing downs anyway. Can be a power back and was definitely used in a ton of goal line situations, juts seems to not be his forte. Don't really blame him though especially considering how fast he is. James Cook was part of Georgia's run game this year. Not very good, super shifty though. Could probably be a very annoying change of pace back to deal with. Kyren Williams is ND's guy. He's kind of small even though they list him at 200. Very hard to tackle. Never stops running, gets thin, falls forward. Another annoying change of pace guy probably. Can't block worth a poo poo as well. Can catch passes. Zamir White destroyed his leg in several places several times and lost all his speed. Could have been a top 5 pick but is now just a plodding example of why football is an awesome blood sport. Big Brian Robinson was Nick Saban's brilliant solution to everyone being smaller than Bama. Is just very big. That's it. Sat forever, got injured, still might be taken high. I see him as a pure battering ram at the next level. Way too slow to be a feature back. Dameon Pierce is a weird old school RB that was used for blocking a lot and hammering short yardage plays. Decently fast, very explosive. Super underutilized because he just didn't fit their offense, also didn't help that the whole Gators program was in a state of flux with their coaching problems.. Might be a sneaky later pick. Rachaad White is one of the weirdest prospects and I don't know why he's a RB. Herm is a beautiful enigma. Anyway White is a WR playing RB for some reason. Literally Ty Montgomery. I don't know why he's there. As a WR he's a pretty decent 2nd day prospect, as a RB he might be perfect in an air raid offense but probably nothing else. He's also old and a JUCO transfer so who knows what his potential could be with right coaching. Jerome Ford was a wash out for Bama's insanely deep backfield and ended up being one of the myriad of transfers that flood out of Bama every year. Ended up at Cinci and was probably the only glimmer of hope they had in the playoffs against Bama. One of the best pure runners in the draft. Going to probably be one of the best testers at the combine with Hall. Great burst, great change of direction, really smart, good size. Probably a 2nd round pick but he's not a third down back at all and will probably fall because of that.

I might have to part two this because there's literally like 10 more RBs that are all 2nd-5th round picks.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think Willis is the only one I'd risk a 1st on and even then right now it looks iffy.

I don't think Corral's arm is strong enough to be a gunslinger. The ball just hangs there when it's not a 3 step timing route. He does front foot passing on deep intermediate routes and full shoulder on slants/ins. I don't usually like QBs like that but Watson did it and he turned out pretty good so I dunno. He's not nearly as elusive as Mahomes/Wilson/Kyler. Not that he's ponderous but he gets dinged up on all his TD runs. Also doesn't know when to go down. Pretty much why he got injured in the Sugar Bowl. I think his decision making improved a lot. I just don't trust the hang time on his deep balls. Stick him in a sluggo offense and you might have something. He throws the ball like Troy Aikman.

Kenny Pickett puts his entire body behind every throw. It's pretty decent but he also had a big jump in talent this year to make him look better. His receivers caught everything. Also old and a one season wonder. Either way he has nice touch on sideline routes, fades, deep seams. Not the strongest arm but it's good enough. His footwork is sometimes there and sometimes a mess. Has really bad habits where he'll go wide in his drop back and throw a duck to the middle of the field but everyone is so slow in the ACC that it doesn't get punished. Decently mobile. They ran pistol plays that were design runs for him and he didn't look that slow. I think his ceiling is some sort of vertical zone scheme to let him move around in a pocket and improvise. I really don't know how much of his play this year was due to play calling or him looking off reads. I feel like he just loves abandoning pockets and finding reads on the move. Same sort of hatred Mahomes and Manziel got only Pickett doesn't get it because he's big and pudgy. Probably fringe first round most years, might be the most likely to go first. One year wonder isn't necessarily that bad of a label considering Jones/Burrow.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Cavauro posted:

MY man! Thanks for the insight dude. I love when we live in my house and talk about prospects and the apocalypse.

Flattery won't get you my Enigma rat hand man

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Henchman of Santa posted:

Fagot is actually at Navy I believe

And he's a forgettable third day/undrafted prospect so it makes one wonder why Ches is interested

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm officially punishing ross for transgressions. No one answer any SDSU questions. This is an embargo that I hope that years of high quality draft knowledge has cultivated an understanding to uphold, this one time

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Herbert's Oregon tape and Chargers tape might as well be two different people

The gently caress was Christobal doing up there

It's the same tape. Obviously with hindsight I'm acting like I knew Herbert was good all along but he was big gunslinging his entire time in college. His main knocks were abandoning first reads, iffy deep ball accuracy, and terrible footwork. He still had a massive arm, did all the roll outs, all the designed runs, all the tight window throws. Literally almost the same offense he ran in college just with less moving pockets. Staley really fixed his footwork which led to his much better deep ball but I dunno it's not much different.

Josh Allen was the complete what the gently caress. I don't know how that happened. He straight up sucked in Wyoming, even with the lack of talent. Constant sailed balls, terrible decision making, awful form. That's got to be the biggest turn around in NFL history. Maybe even more so than Kyler learning to go through reads.

Edit: I'm also not sure if everyone gets the same funny post as the first result when they google 2020 nfl draft thread somethingawful

Doltos fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 19, 2022

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Carlosologist posted:

The Athletic put out their pre-combine mock draft, I can pull snippets if y'all would like. Giants got mocked Neal and Ojabo at 5 and 7, respectively

Ojabo rising hard is weird to me. I guess someone thinks they can teach him to put power into his game. He's super tentative when he has to go inside or gets crack blocked. Still though his edge rush and speed is supreme with the leverage he gets going wide and if he's actually going top 10 now then I think that's got to be the reason. I just don't know how you look at his hand fighting or how easily he's moved and want that over all the other options at edge in this draft.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think the big thing with guys like Karlaftis and Ojabo is that they never leave the field for stamina reasons and that's like so loving important it's stupid. Life should be more like a video game.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Hamhandler posted:

https://twitter.com/DP_NFL/status/1479650072900120576

will he get past Belichick at 21 is the question

Might be the big riser if he proves he's not that slow at the combine. Leonhard's defense is all about shallow blitz packages so if LBs are good in it they produce big and make me fall for them like Zack Baun or van Ginkel. Chenal can't cover worth a poo poo so who knows where he'll be in nickel packages in the NFL. Could totally see him sticking in heavy fronts though. He'll be able to move in the mess and stick his guy. My one big problem with him and you can see it in that tape is no power behind those hands. He doesn't put leverage when he pops a block and relies more on wrenching and movement to shed. I don't think that'll be a big problem with how LBs like him are used in the NFL but it's more that he won't be able to blow up lead blockers as easily as he can now. That's coachable though and all about using those hips to drive more while extending his arms. Kind of like a mental thing really powerful LBs fall for in the same way RBs who are used to blowing up everyone in high school get to college and forget to churn their in piles.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think there's no bigger flip flop during the draft process from pundits than these couple days before the combine and the couple days after, outweighs the couple days before the draft when everyone knows the picks

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diva Cupcake posted:

What do we feel about the accuracy of this tweet? Are these the relevant combine tests for those following the position groups from home?

https://twitter.com/HaydenWinks/status/1498658043549999107

He bases it off of this https://underdognetwork.com/football/2022-nfl-combine-why-it-matters which isn't that bad. It's subjective analysis after the fact with stepwise regression models but that's about the best way to do it, I think. Or in simple terms you have to set some sort of standard variable like starts x amount of games or has y amount of yards then run it through SPSS (stats software) against all combine scores to see if there's significance (a reliable pattern) between the drill and NFL production. Then you have to keep doing it as the years go by to see if the trend continues.

Problem with that is I don't believe athletes started seriously training for the combine until Peyton/Leaf and even then the 40 was overvalued for way too many years. Everyone's also athletic as gently caress now since kids train from a starting age and you're basically comparing past data sets to athletes that have rapidly changed in a short amount of time. I haven't done that research in years but I'm willing to bet more teams are trending towards college production again since meeting a minimum athletic ability is relatively easier to find now.

Either way I believe earnestly still that no combine drills matter. It's not what score you get, it's how you look getting it. Even then if everyone's athletic as gently caress now the real correlation between combine scores and NFL success is just simply playing time.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TheGreyGhost posted:

I don't take quite as dim of a view of it as this, but I do think that essentially it's only ever going to be a lagging indicator that takes extensive modeling to get useful numbers which are still beneath what tape and interviews can give you.. That said, there is such a thing as the combine eye test. Kwity Paye? Moved exactly on that 3 cone as he did on the field. John Ross? Clearly can't replicate his highest end speed consistently in the NFL because he essentially has to be untouched prior to 20 yards, which you can see in his gait and confirm with how he ran the 40. Does either instance make the number unimpressive? No, but it's essentially a good way to gut check if a guy who looks physically dominant against lower competition actually is so and an even better way to induce confirmation bias in scouts about who is the best x.

Yeah when I say it's meaningless I mean more in the data end of it than the how they run the drill part of it. I like seeing skill positions have good change of direction that looks fluid. I like wide receivers showing proper form in the gauntlet. I just don't like judging an solely OT by how he looks doing one on one drills. I still think it's ridiculous they don't do pressure plate tests for linemen and corners. There's just no progression in the combine over the years because I feel like they're terrified of removing drills. They also can't run team drills because god forgive someone tangles up and tears an ACL.

Main issue is always just the sweeping statements pundits make to sound like they figured out the draft when this poo poo is chaos incarnate. Imagine being a DE and seeing some twerp write that you need to be able to jump far in order to be worth a high pick. Or that the position you play is worthless because you're just going to get hurt, meanwhile you got through every level playing every game. It just feels like draft pundits have to write like this in order to get success.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
No

Alternate answer: He dialed it up more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chucktesla posted:

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1499432285174706180?t=U1QpddBaoELH-2zfpKUdtg&s=19

That receiver prospect you convinced yourself was a gem and thought your team should draft in the third or fourth round is a little man with t Rex arms

He's a second rounder or higher this year I think. Someone always takes a risk on the all world open field slot guy.