Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Nidoking posted:

Like I said in the video, I was perhaps a bit TOO prepared to be misled, having approached the game from an Ace Attorney mindset. There's a vast gulf between games where you have to find truth among lies and this game, where the challenge is in finding the information at all, and interpreting it at face value is the +C on the integral. There are some details where I'll never be completely convinced, but once I understood that the game was trying to lead me to the right answers, I stopped questioning everything as much. It's a bit like switching from the competitive version of a hidden information game to the co-op version. It's hard to get used to trusting the information you get.

Yeah, the game is not trying to trick you. There's not a point where you are on the defensive like the Ace Attorney games. There is no competing Insurance Adjuster trying to "What If?" you into making a mistake. Your character is not trying to prove innocence or assign guilt exactly. That's not really the goal. Your job is to figure out what happened - Guilt is for someone else to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Cloacamazing! posted:

THAT'S how you're supposed to tell them apart? I didn't even notice that detail. I went with "I guess the younger looking one would be Miss".

Also a valid train of thought, but probably not as accurate as the clue you're "supposed" to use.

Though if you look at it from the other pieces of information provided: OK, I have two women the game indicates I can identify from here. None of them are crew, so they are probably passengers. They are not pictured with the entourage of foreign dignitaries, so probably neither one is the princess. There are two women listed in the passenger manifest, one Ms, and one Mrs. (not including the captain's wife, who is already identified at this point.) Traditionally there is one visual cue that can help me tell those two apart it does make sense to maybe look for it.

Overall, it is a logic and deduction game, and some people are going to attack it from different angles. And there can be many correct approaches to try and find the answer. As pointed out above, yes, a lot of the clues might be dependent on if you can identify a person by accent or cultural notes. There's one person I had to think really hard about when and where exactly this was taking place before figuring out if they would be able to have the job they have, culturally. But if you see where they are usually found on the ship it makes it a little more decipherable who they are and what they are doing there. It also helps if you know what some of the jobs on a ship entail.

I am really hoping that another game much like this is created again. Another adventure mystery, with the same premise, same unique graphics and maybe around the same time in history, but a different location. Maybe a small village in Eastern Europe. Or maybe set something in Roanoke during the disappearance of the first colony.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

The objection is more about the fact that it slows your breathing rate, possibly to the point where you stop breathing and die if you take too much. Which is not exactly a desirable side effect in a person whose primary symptom is trouble breathing.

Eh, I could see it almost as a mercy killing or at least being pragmatic, with the thought of "I can't cure this, if it's contagious we don't want the rest of the ship getting infected, and he's suffering. Best let him go out nice and easy (and quiet)"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I took me playing this game and watching the latest You Got Three Fates Right bit to realize that the skull page on the book mirrors the pocket watch. There are 60 crewmen to figure out the fate of, and 60 spaces on face of a watch.