Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
In an example of the sometimes byzantine thought process this game has, it thinks you should be able to identify Hat Guy because (spoiler contains Hat Guy's identity) in one of the scenes you've seen, the First Mate calls "Brennan! Bring the surgeon's kit!" and Hat Guy (i.e. Brennan) has his hand to his ear, meaning he heard someone call his name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah. Also, as an addendum to the "general rules" to get through this game:

Make a good effort to locate all the people listed as 'present' in the scene and take note of what they are doing.

This especially useful to both identify people (spoiler contains how) (note that different ranks and roles have different duties, and these are explained in the book, so if you see someone doing X you might know they're, e.g., a topman instead of a seaman or something), and sometimes to find out how they died (because you can reconstruct the events leading up to a death, which helps paint a clearer picture).

Nidoking did this very well during The End: "Oh, this dude is jumping off the railing, is he trying to get into the cabin from above?"

Stuff like that.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 7, 2021

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Surprised that Nidoking correctly identified the fourth mate by what he was wearing and the process of exclusion, and yet did not identify the last midshipman by what he was wearing and the process of exclusion.

Brains will work however they wish, I guess.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Nidoking posted:

I didn't notice the positions of the two people I had names for because I had their names. At this point, I was still very much working on the basis of the information I had and not reading between the lines much. That was the point of the long, rambling intro - I didn't catch a lot of helpful details because I was still trying to follow the story. Once I understand what's happening enough to interpret the things I'm seeing and hearing, I'll be able to get more information out of it. I'm honestly in awe of people who can see something once and understand it immediately, and it's why I've never taken to literary or art criticism, and why I usually only do Let's Plays of games I've played enough to be very familiar with. I'm pretty sure the people who do criticism or reviews that point out a lot of subtle details are actually reading or watching the subject matter many times to catch them all, but the criticism itself never gives me that impression, so it really feels like I'm the only person in the world who doesn't catch everything in one go. It's very demoralizing.

Oh no, I didn't mean it as a diss. In fact, in my first playthrough, it took me ages to figure out who the fourth mate is; same for Brennan, I didn't figure him out until I was several more scenes in than you are at this point. It was meant more as a "huh, it's weird the things one person notices while others don't."

I'm sure that if you have five people playing through this game at the same time, going through the same scenes, they will all notice and figure out different things, besides the obvious ones (e.g. the Captain's identity).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I never figured out what the guy in the passageway died from, I had to look it up. My train of thought went, "Okay so he was shanked by the crab riders, took the spike out, and hid, and then he... Bled out?" but none of the possible combinations I tried ended up being correct. Somehow, I completely missed the bullet trail, I don't know how.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

You also have to keep in mind that by Escape everyone was, quite understandably, a bit on edge: a couple hours before (at most, likely less than that) they'd just gone through an attack by a mythical beast, which seriously damaged the ship and killed a lot of people, leaving them with a skeleton crew. You can see how nerves were frayed, leading folks to make a lot of rash decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

Winston the carpenter was indeed wielding the gun from the bosun. It seems to be some sort of shotgun. A few seconds after the other crab burned to death he went "Give me that" and took that thing. So after witnessing all of these traumatic deaths, including his mate, who barely pulled him out of the spike fire, he doesn't stay away from the second killer crab, but specifically hunts it down and manages to take it out, by sacrificing his own life. That guy is a loving hero and had he survived this, he would have climbed on the kraken to poke it's eyes out. If the Obra Dinn was an action movie, he'd be the protagonist. He even has that backstory of a black trained professional going for him.

Hell, based on the timing, his taunting "is that all?" probably came after he was already pinned and he might even have gotten speared by then.

That guy is so cool.

In one of the previous scenes, the final line is Winston saying "Give me that gun," and if you look around the diorama he's grabbing the gun from the bosun.

It has a real sense of "Okay, I'm gonna finish this right now."

(Also notice how there are several people lying in wait, hidden behind beams and stuff, as Winston dies. My guess is that he probably organised the crew, and went "I'll draw the thing down below to the cargo deck, you shank it when you get the chance.")