Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

TheMcD posted:

As far as I understand it, the unblurring simply works by unblurring after you have visited scenes X, Y and Z. After you've visited whatever scenes are determined to be the ones you need to figure out the correct answer, that face will unblur on the sketch.

I did a play of this game with my roommate, in a pretty similar way to this format, and one of the things I did to prepare myself was study the logical triggers for face unblurring. That involved 2-3 quick playthroughs of playing chapters in different orders, and recording when faces unblur on each path. Some of what I found was pretty interesting!

Specifically, it's not just X Y and Z, it can be X or Y, or X and (Y or Z). etc. For example with the First Mate, you can skip chapter 10-4 and go right into chapter 9. If you do so, you miss the first mate's ID in the captain's monologue, but he unblurs anyways after chapter 9-1 when you see him walking out of the First Mate's cabin.

Looking forward to this LP! I love this game but have never seen a stream / LP that wasn't full of guessing. So this will be rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

The first thing I did encountering tattoo guy was google searching 'New Guinea tattoos' and well, guess whose portrait was the first thing that came up

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Nido you posted earlier:

Nidoking posted:

We'll cover this when we get to the single detail that the game considers pivotal to that identity. Part of me wants to try to compile a list of exactly which details or combinations of details the game considers to be sufficient and necessary to identify each person, but that would require playing through the game many times, taking every available path, and checking the book regularly. I'm on my seventh loop of Heaven's Vault already, thanks.

I turbo nerded hard over this game, and was also between games, so I did compile this data. What we've seen so far isn't all that interesting logic-wise, or is straight up in the wiki, but I can comment at least on process of elimination.

You noted that you had plenty of info to ID the 4th mate by process of elimination. As far as I can tell, the game engine is all or nothing as far as flagging somebody process of elimination. We see a reverse case, probably much later in the LP, where an ethnic group of crew have one member coded as process of elimination, his face only unblurs when all the rest do even if he isn't present in scene, however there's plenty of physically identifying evidence to ID him outright the same as the others.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Oh I don't disagree, and didn't play that way at all my first time through. One of my final IDs, Alexander Booth, I noticed unblurred really early. What led me down that path was figuring out HOW THE gently caress the game logically thought you should get that person. I posted upthread but I also compiled that data to prepare for a play-along with a friend playing blind.

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

Though if you look at it from the other pieces of information provided: OK, I have two women the game indicates I can identify from here. None of them are crew, so they are probably passengers. They are not pictured with the entourage of foreign dignitaries, so probably neither one is the princess. There are two women listed in the passenger manifest, one Ms, and one Mrs. (not including the captain's wife, who is already identified at this point.) Traditionally there is one visual cue that can help me tell those two apart it does make sense to maybe look for it.

This was exactly my same journey to figuring that mystery out, and by extension, a lot of other 3 star IDs. Okay, one of them is Miss, and no other evidence means I should hunt for a wedding ring. Neat, I found one, and now that I'm looking at it just look at how much that small detail visually pops! There must be other tiny details that stand out and matter a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

The mates' stewards unblur because you see them serving and/or spending a lot of time with their assigned mates, besides Paul who is just called by name. The ship's steward is a whole different story, though, he unblurs on his death scene in 6-7 and I never really figured out why either. Maybe the game thinks he looks physically Indian? Maybe the game hasn't showed him with the captain or mates and thinks it's enough?