Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Was it normal for captains to bring their wives on board? Seems like a cause for dispute.
Not a very common thing and I don't think the game ever goes into it but my personal theory is that the captain might be moving to somewhere in east asia and thus be bringing along the rest of his household.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

TheMcD posted:

I now feel reminded of my first playthrough, where I immediately identified him as Timothy Butement, the Scottish topman, precisely because of that unblurring and that same conclusion that those tattoos looked Celtic to me.

I did a similar thing, I got to the scene that shows all the topmen on the rigging and reasoned that the guy with the giant triskellion on his chest HAD to be Butement, the only Scottish topman. I had previous been misidentifying him as Charles Miner, based on the fourth mate telling the bosun that his frenchman was torn apart and the only person to die that way on screen was Maba.

Speaking of Charles Miner, the black & white really didn't do his identification process any favours because the primary means of doing so is noticing that he's wearing a French marinière, which is blue.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

That's a great game too!

This is most definitely true, and I think Nidoking will redefine his story here later. A sad thing about all of this is the stabber was talking with the fourth mate about leaving. He only suggested it at that point directly after seeing a colleague bleed out. (That's not a great experience and can make you doubt authority. Just ask Hoscut.) But then that boy comes along, ruffles the guy up, he gets stabbed and the Mate is not so much on board with that strategy, so he tries to stop him. During that struggle, a deadly shot is fired. And Brennan, after having a really bad night, just sees a person shooting another and directly clubs the shooter to death without even hearing him out. I guess that was just a really unlucky attempt to knock him out. Alternatively, having already killed someone for justice, Brennan was really eager to relive the experience.

I have the vague memory that it is possible to actually squeeze by everyone during the death of Paul moss to see the exact moment of the stabbing below deck.

You don't get to see the actual stabbing but you see the stabber running after the stabbee holding the knife and infer from there that there's not enough time for anybody else to handle the knife in the meantime.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

I think it can only be a matter of minutes, since the Bosun was still actively bleeding out, after having his arm ripped off.
I'm pretty sure Henry Evans could have saved the guy, if he had wanted to.
I'm not so sure of that, Evans doesn't have the greatest track record with missing limbs.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Now I kinda wonder, if the officers, mates and the captain would be allowed to go up there. Of course they wouldn't because they'd think themselves to important for that, but I wonder if there were some sort of workplace safety guidelines which would actually bar them from going up there.
At least one of the mates and/or the bosun would regularly be up there to keep an eye on what the topmen are doing. And there's also the situations where the lookout in the crow's nest calls out "captain, you really need to see this!"

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'm pretty sure Winston's gun is a hand mortar. For all but the lightest loads, you'd normally brace them against a rock instead of your shoulder because it would probably break some bones if you do. Winston is just that badass.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

kw0134 posted:

The most unbelievable thing would be that the EIC would only send a single insurance claims adjuster as opposed to enough crewmen to sail it to harbor and then investigate it fully. Even if the locals in Falmouth were scared, surely there's enough desperate sailors who'd earn a few quid to sail a ship the last few miles to port. The ship and the cargo was worth more than everyone single person on board, combined, by a factor of a hundred and the EIC was not known to be the, uh, most ethical group.
The ship is heavily damaged to the point of probably being more expensive to fix than it's worth and I'd imagine most of the value of the cargo is the box, something the EIC probably wouldn't want to be handled by randos and/or the existence thereof or what it can do leaking out so they send a trusted inspector to verify it's existence/destruction before presumably marshaling a salvage crew based on their findings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The stowaway from Loose Cargo needn't be a human. The pocket watch works just as well on giant enemy crabs, cow skulls and chunks of dead monkey. It could've just been a rat inside the barrel, which is a lot more plausible for going undetected than a human because there's a whole lot less corpse to be noticeably stinky.