Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

I guess, you can never be sure about anything in life either. If the game was trying to be mean it could have a scene where the whole room addresses a person as A, but that's actually B. It turns out the whole crew hates those guys and they purposefully mix up their names to annoy them. Also they gave him a nametag to bully him.

This first video was fun for that kind of thinking. Okay, this guy someone was calling Captain had locked himself in the Captain's cabin, and is in a picture wearing the Captain's hat and Captain's coat, but is that proof he's the Captain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

stryth posted:

I just finished this game myself 10 minutes ago, my brain feels stretched. Are there any other games like this? Like, mysteries you have to ACTUALLY solve?

Outer Wilds is the best I can think of off the top of my head. Being a mystery game about exploring, you're best off looking up as little about it as possible; just trust me and play it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Well, that escalated quickly. Not just going from a spot of murder abovedecks to a freakin' giant squad attacking the ship, but also from having a couple of memories that can be completely or mostly solved in a self-contained manner to having you take a whirlwind tour through about, what, five or ten different scenes and several time periods without being able to jot down much more than a handful of obvious causes of death.
Like, I don't want to rag on the game without actually playing it myself, but my feeble mind is having a really hard time keeping up with what's going on. It feels like we go into a memory, then before we're even done looking at everyone in it, let alone speculating much as to who everyone is, we get dragged into another one.

Or am I overthinking it and is this how we're meant to play the game? Just go with the flow, start wide and shallow and activate as many memories/scenes as possible early on, so we can sit down and revisit them later via the book in a more planned and systematic manner?

This is definitely the part where the game opens up and shows you the true scope of the mystery you're dealing with. The End is essentially the tutorial chapter and holds your hand through identifying enough people to get your first "three fates correct" checkpoint, but then you're taken through this whole sequence where you're going to seriously struggle to identify anyone with just the information laid out in front of you.

The shaky watch bit won't force you to go to the next scene until you activate it, but it does encourage you to do so, and it's probably better that you do. Most of the information you can get out of these scenes comes from comparing what people are doing from scene to scene, to see if you can track down who the few names that are said outright are referring to.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nice, you've now seen the most important chapter in the game!

Not in terms of the plot, obviously. But seeing the ship in normal operation has a lot of valuable information for figuring out who everyone is.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Half the zodiac animals are just livestock animals though, and aside from the monkey all the animals we've seen aboard are livestock. This was long before refrigeration, so the best way to keep meat fresh on a long voyage is to keep it alive. Hence having a butcher on the crew.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nidoking posted:

Counterpoint: If you're not intended to see all the details the first time you're in a scene, why is it that people's faces becoming unblurred the first time you see the scene in which those details are present is a game mechanic at all? It certainly may be true that players aren't expected to notice and understand all of the details the first time they see each scene, which is part of the gameplay loop based around the scenes being presented in an order that tends toward reverse chronological, but I don't believe that it's intended for players to feel rushed to move to the next scene rather than examining the scene they're in to their satisfaction.

There's several valid ways to approach the game. Personally, I think there's a lot to be said for going through all of the scenes with the primary aim of just figuring out the general plot of what happened to the ship, and then filling in the gaps with everyone's specific identities. But if you want to go through scene by scene and figure out as much as you can as you go, then the game will support that by telling you which characters it doesn't expect you to have enough information to solve yet. There's advantages to both ways - with the former, you have a complete view of the story and can mentally track what a character did throughout to help figure out what their deal is, while with the latter you minimise the amount of clues you need to put together at once.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Soldiers of the Sea has the best background music. Honestly, all of the audio in this game is top-notch, but this chapter is my favourite.

Also: Merry Crabsmas

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 25, 2021

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Additionally, my general impression of the midshipmen is that they’re teenagers, so even if Davies was generally willing to mutiny, seeing the other guy immediately try to murder a kid is pretty understandably a bridge too far.

The book's glossary does explain that the midshipmen are apprentice officers - sons of wealthy families who are on board the ship to learn how it operates so once they use their connections to get a future job as a mate they're not wastes of space. Which is why in the cow-slaughter scene the butcher was telling them what to do while also being quite deferential about it.

Long story short, yes, they're totally kids, at least from the perspective of the other officers.

From what we've seen of the last two chapters, it looks to me like the captain's plan was probably to have the survivors sail the ship to the nearest available port. Anyone without actual sailor skills, like the surviving passengers, were sent off with the last lifeboat both to keep them out of the way and give them the best chance if the remaining crew aren't enough to get a whole East Indiaman going where they want it to. Unfortunately he was still reeling from the massacre of most of the ship's crew and losing his own wife, so didn't explain the plan to the crew, who from their perspective watched him pick some people to send to safety and forced the rest of them to stay on their still-floating shipwreck. Hence people start plotting mutiny, and getting suspicious of each other for plotting mutiny, and fighting over it until there's only five people left on the whole drat boat and the only thing left for any of them to do is die.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The game certainly doesn't make the surgeon look very competent, but then we only get to see the scenes where his patients die.

Even if he is good at medicine generally, being a 19th century ship's surgeon probably doesn't help either. Medicine as a practice didn't have much going for it, let alone with the limited supplies available on board the ship. Laudanum is probably the only medicine he even has. Maybe some alcohol as a disinfectant. Had disinfectants even been invented yet? Not sure.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That scene with the lightning is another important one for secondary information, at least if you read the glossary!

Topman is the rank given to senior seamen who have proven skilled enough to trust climbing the rigging and handling the sails up there. As such, you can identify all of the men in that scene as Topmen, which may help narrow down their identities.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

Maybe England had different standards at that time?

The first act of Parliament to abolish the slave trade in the British Empire was in 1807, although the practice of actually owning slaves wouldn't be banned for another three decades after. Institutional racism would absolutely still be rife everywhere, but the game is set in a time of growing abolitionist sentiment, so our carpenter had that going for him. He probably did have a better chance of getting ahead in life on an East India ship than he did back home in the US, depending perhaps on which state, but not by all that much. This is absolutely a man who broke through barriers to get to where he was.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The book at the end definitely takes your findings into account. If you do the "Captain Did It" achievement, it will absolutely say Witterel is guilty of some fifty counts of murder.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It always looked to me like Filip taking the shell out was what started Soldiers Of The Sea. If putting it in the mercury was enough to subdue all of the mermaids, it would make sense if taking them out would re-awaken them enough for them to start calling out for aid.

What I would guess happened is that Witterel took the shells from the dead bodies of the mermaids he shot and threw them overboard, and that's what called off the Kraken, but he didn't spot that Filip was holding one too. He might also have been the one to order the bargain with the remaining mermaid too - freeing her in return for safe passage home. Which might explain why he didn't explain his intentions to the rest of the crew; he didn't want to worry them with the fact that he'd made a bargain with the unholy creatures that almost sank the ship (which unfortunately left them assuming he was just consigning them all to death, since they didn't know the threat was over). Or, possibly, he did explain that, and that's why everyone ended up mutinying, though in that case I'd have thought it would get mentioned in the End.

The mermaid then made good on her end of the bargain and brought the ship back to England, but since no one was actually sailing the thing it took her a couple of years to drift it there on the currents. Then she destroyed it, possibly out of spite.

As for recovering the cargo, the EIC probably didn't have any idea what condition any of the ship and its cargo was in, so they just sent the one inspector to scout the place and see if it's in a condition to sail or salvage. Perhaps if it hadn't sank straight after, they'd have come back with a crew to bring it in based on your report.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bootcha posted:

As to how Evans knew about the Obra Dinn's return? Well, probably call it narrative convenience, fortunate timing, as I'd guess the box was something the East India Company might have been holding onto for awhile. But you're right that there's a bit of magic going on: It's the glue that holds the conceits together.

Magic might be the key, here. Assuming Evans was already familiar with the watch, he's already balls-deep in occult nonsense. We can say for sure he used it to see the events of the Bargain, and he might well know better than we do that the mermaid will honour a deal like that. Certainly she seems bound to do that, seeing as she exactly followed the letter of the request, bringing the empty ship back to port then wrecking it straight after. Perhaps Henry knew enough to be sure that's what would happen.